Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Policenaut posted:

It always looks like Kiryu's about to cry in that picture, but you can see him starting to smile. It's a happy picture.

Tears of joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer

Zaggitz posted:

Anybody know how to find Minamida in Kamurocho? I'm at the point of no return and wanna do some boss refights for extra heat/soul orbs.

If you haven't found him yet, I vaguely remember from 4 that he was in the Theater Underground.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

If you go down into the Underground Mall near millennium tower, there's like a maintenance corridor that goes down more, his big VR machine is still down there. It's where Akiyama and Tanigawa fought Kiryu in 4.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Giantbomb's (east) quicklook of this was alright. Would have made me want it if I wasn't wanting it already but not until all those 12 deals of christmas sales have come and gone, for the chance of DQHeroes showing up + my account having enough for either fullprice Yak5 or a 40% off deal on a fresh game. Dangit.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
There usually is, but is there a recap movie for 4 on this one? I know I should get back into it but I simply don't have the time.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
There are no recap movies on 5.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well, poo poo. Do they get you up to speed within the game itself or should I look it up on Wikipedia or something?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
It seems pretty self contained so far. May want to read up on Saejima and Akiyama a bit if you're really concerned, but it's probably not an issue.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

mikeycp posted:

There are no recap movies on 5.

There's not? I know the "Remenisce" command is still on the main menu, did they actively take the videos out from 4?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

There's not? I know the "Remenisce" command is still on the main menu, did they actively take the videos out from 4?

Yup. All that's in there is cutscenes from 5.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

mikeycp posted:

Yup. All that's in there is cutscenes from 5.

Hahaha what why

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Hahaha what why

Sega, probably.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Zaggitz posted:

Its a nutrient found in strawberries.

Strawberry parfait
Anthocyanin is actually a very common pigment in plants. If you see a plant whose leaves have turned red in the fall, chances are the red pigment is anthocyanin. Same with things like purple cabbage and red lettuce. :science:

Now someone tell me when Hokkaido decided to crossbreed all its deer with velociraptors. I mean yeah a buck in rut will occasionally charge, but holy gently caress I've been deer hunting for a lot of years and never once had one of 'em keep me busy while another was sneaking around to attack from behind. And I think they're working with the blink bears that teleport in whenever there's a big sika melee.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Don't know about deer in Hokkaido, but I've had deer in Nara straight up steal poo poo out of my back pocket. I think Japanese deer are just gigantic assholes.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I only just realized I could get new moves from using certain weapons heavy attacks with certain characters. I'm right before the final fight. :negative:

Oh well i guess I have easy access to the item fight coliseum tourney, should make it not too bad.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

mikeycp posted:

Don't know about deer in Hokkaido, but I've had deer in Nara straight up steal poo poo out of my back pocket. I think Japanese deer are just gigantic assholes.

The deer in the parks where you can buy them crackers to feed? They are like a horde of hungry angry five-year olds who have been told you carry candy.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Zaggitz posted:

I only just realized I could get new moves from using certain weapons heavy attacks with certain characters. I'm right before the final fight. :negative:

Oh well i guess I have easy access to the item fight coliseum tourney, should make it not too bad.

Ohhhhhh okay. I remembered reading about weapon revelations in an early tutorial but I had no idea how they triggered and honestly kinda forgot about them until now. I'm just starting as Akiyama too so it's not too late for me.

oh man kiryu has one for the pliers i'm real bummed i missed that

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

croutonZA posted:

New guy is actually kinda likeable but I miss Tanimura.

The free-running in the 6 teaser trailer reminded me a lot of his roof chases, so hope springs eternal for me.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

MrLonghair posted:

The deer in the parks where you can buy them crackers to feed? They are like a horde of hungry angry five-year olds who have been told you carry candy.
Yeah, deer in general are assholes, but they're usually assholes the way your college roommate is an rear end in a top hat---doesn't think things through, always mooching off of you, can never seem to learn from past mistakes, and so on. These Hokkaido deer appear to all wake up in the morning wanting to fight.

I really think a lot of it is that the way wildlife spawns in the game is...wonky. It seems like there are specific spawn points, and the game doesn't give a poo poo where you are in relation to any of them when it decides whether or not to create new critters there. So a buck that would run away if spawned further away will end up immediately charging you if it spawns right on top of you.

In general while I love the Yakuza games it seems like they could use some more interface/usability tweaks. Like the whole hunting/trapping thing is more of a slog than it should be just because of the way the inventory system works. There's no real puzzle/gameplay involved with poo poo like antlers and deer skins not stacking in your inventory since you can just send poo poo to the item box from the field if you're already full. But there's a popup dialogue every loving time it happens, and if you're already full and you take down a bear then that's like four dialogues/fades into and out of the item selection thing every time. Same with resetting traps---you have to gently caress around with sending each animal part to the item box and then select something else to send to free up a space to take the trap into your inventory, and then not mash X again immediately (because you'll jump back from the trap spot) and then mash X after the `Check' indicator comes up, and then select the trap. So it's this fiddly dialogue navigation task every time you want to just take everything and reset the trap which is what you want to do every time anyway.

I mean it's not a dealbreaker or anything, but the fact that there's so much poo poo that's obviously very well-thought-out makes the silly intro-to-UI-design mistakes stand out more.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Well, poo poo. Do they get you up to speed within the game itself or should I look it up on Wikipedia or something?

All you really need to know from 4 is that (heavy Yakuza 4 spoilers) the police are behind everything in the game and are evil and corrupt and Saejima is innocent since the bullets he used in the gun were rubber bullets. Arai is an undercover cop, Kido betrays Akiyama and Saejima so he can get access Akiyama's money, Daigo is a loving idiot who betrays Majima over said money and police chief Munakata orchestrated everything out of some kind of weird attempt to enforce a warped kind of justice on Japan. Yusiko, Saejima's sister dies and Akiyama kicks Arai's rear end, Saejima kicks Kido's rear end, Kiryu kicks Daigo's rear end and Tanimura kicks Munakata plus a whole bunch of really goddamn annoying special police forces rear end at the end.

The plot of 4 was ridiculously convoluted and dumb, yet really simple when you take out all the fluff.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
So, like a poster earlier in the thread, I've thrown a fire extinguisher into a fire trying to get to Yahata. I haven't saved for a little while, and there doesn't seem to be another one in the room. Am I boned?

E: Haha, I did a rolling forward leap to the middle of the fire and picked it back up. PROBLEM SOLVED.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 17, 2015

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

Parks can't contain them; they're everywhere. But yes, those deer.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the translations, but I was more surprised I was expected to know those terms. Ah well.

20 hours into the game and I'm still in chapter 1 with Kiryu. :sweatdrop: All I've been doing are side-stories and taxi/racing assignments.

This made me laugh. Kiryu slightly leaned back, probably thinking "oooh he doesn't know that was me". I don't think this is spoiler for anything, unless you still haven't played or read up on 2.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

SpacePig posted:

fire extinguisher troubles

I'm sure there's another one in that room because I accidentally threw both into the fire. I'm not a very clever man.

Luckily Kiryu's "no-sell everything because I'm super pissed" mode allowed me to get one.

Also, this game's loving great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mr. Fortitude posted:

All you really need to know from 4 is that (heavy Yakuza 4 spoilers) the police are behind everything in the game and are evil and corrupt and Saejima is innocent since the bullets he used in the gun were rubber bullets. Arai is an undercover cop, Kido betrays Akiyama and Saejima so he can get access Akiyama's money, Daigo is a loving idiot who betrays Majima over said money and police chief Munakata orchestrated everything out of some kind of weird attempt to enforce a warped kind of justice on Japan. Yusiko, Saejima's sister dies and Akiyama kicks Arai's rear end, Saejima kicks Kido's rear end, Kiryu kicks Daigo's rear end and Tanimura kicks Munakata plus a whole bunch of really goddamn annoying special police forces rear end at the end.

The plot of 4 was ridiculously convoluted and dumb, yet really simple when you take out all the fluff.

One little addition to the above: While the cops are the bad guys, there is one good cop named Date who returns in 5.

Also, holy poo poo @ the translation. "You better wash your rear end so I can kick it when you get back!" Haha, okay man.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Just finished Part 1 and I have SO MANY GODDAMN EMOTIONS RIGHT NOW. I can't believe this game sometimes. Holy poo poo.

I basically reacted to Kiryu putting on the suit the same way some people did to seeing the Millennium Falcon in the Star Wars trailer. I'm so loving pumped.

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer
Man Haruka's section is starting to drag on. I want to bash heads. Getting sick of pretty pretty princess dancing.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Randy Mythbuster posted:

Man Haruka's section is starting to drag on. I want to bash heads. Getting sick of pretty pretty princess dancing.

Most stuff in her section is pretty optional. And it helps a great deal when there aren't random assholes accosting you every few steps.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

precision posted:

One little addition to the above: While the cops are the bad guys, there is one good cop named Date who returns in 5.

Also, holy poo poo @ the translation. "You better wash your rear end so I can kick it when you get back!" Haha, okay man.
Yeah, a better translation wouldn't stay so close on an idiomatic expression like that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, a better translation wouldn't stay so close on an idiomatic expression like that.

My Japanese is pretty bad but if I heard him right, wouldn't a better translation (while still being close literally) be "Make sure your face is clean before I break it again"?

Randy Mythbuster posted:

I'm still at the beginning of Saejima's and it's already "dragging on" and I want to get to pretty princess simulator. Saejima is such a good character and his Part starts out really badass, but then oh sweet another playable loving prison section with VR tutorials added in this time YAYYYYYYYY.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Yakuza 5 is a great game, but it also has the most UNFUN UNFAIR BULLSHIT EVER IN THESE GODDAMN DOUBLE KOMAKI FIGHTS.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yay, it's finally downloaded! Now I need to wait just as long for the drat thing to install!

I really hate how the PS3 handles downloadables, guys.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Unlucky7 posted:

Yay, it's finally downloaded! Now I need to wait just as long for the drat thing to install!

I really hate how the PS3 handles downloadables, guys.

Yeah but it's so worth it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've only had one WTF moment with the translation, but that was when someone said "GOODO TIMING!" and the translation put it at Perfect timing!

The original speech was in English, so why change that?

e:

Also, I don't know how I'm supposed to handle this Beanball mission considering it's way out of my hitting range.

Never mind, I just had to dodge the first one.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 17, 2015

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Fouls are easy. Just line it up early then swing really early.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
oh my god akiyama can do air combos and dance battles this game rules

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Zaggitz posted:

Yakuza 5 is a great game, but it also has the most UNFUN UNFAIR BULLSHIT EVER IN THESE GODDAMN DOUBLE KOMAKI FIGHTS.

Speaking of unfair and unfun, I had a bear (just a random bear) stunlock and drop me from full health to dead. I was up against a wall and it kept hitting me before the recovery animation finished.

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO

I so wanted to punch that cop when he stops you the first time you meet.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Just started playing this this morning because I wanted to finish my FF7 and Tales from the Borderlands platinums and this game has already convinced me to buy that Taiko no Tatsujin Vita game. Good stuff, Sega!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Do they explain more about why Kiryu left Sunshine Orphanage aside from the scene in 1-2? Because I'm not following what happened. :confused:

• Locked thread