Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

MeLKoR posted:

Hahaha this motherfucker doesn't even play the game, how much does he work on it do you think? Is he furiously coding in bed while Sandi snuggles up to him and tries to seduce him only to be rebuffed with "not now honey, I have to finish coding the procedural generation"? Is that what you think he's doing? You stupid mongoloids, you deserve everything that is coming.

He's spent the majority of the last year in a mocap studio in the UK. He's barely even involved anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
The main issue is that they are right now, in December 2015, is where they should have been and needed to be in December 2013. From the list on the CIG forums, they have 26 ship variants flyable, they have 105 or so planned. Many of the current ships are horribly broken and really can't be considered complete, and several have rework planned. They have one star system complete, about 100 planned. They would have a hard time being set up to release in 2017.

And of course the overarching problem, by putting an FPS inside their Space game, they're going to end up with a substandard quality FPS inside a substandard space game due to the limitations and compromises needed to join them.

Final question: Did they drop the individual thruster simulations with damage states idiocy? Seems like it was sacrificed to the gods of netcode, exactly as predicted here.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Comedy Gold. Do stay for the comments

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3wuo1c/star_citizen_21_before_christmas_as_of_10ftc/

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Eonwe posted:

The reason the ED one maybe doesn't look 'as good' is because its real and they take the approach of make it work and then make it flashy

CIG makes it flashy and uh...yeah it'll work eventually
No kidding, the E:D ones are way better. It is not hard to do generic procedurally generated planets - a loving lone Russian dude in his spare time did it before any of these other guys and it looks at least as good as what was shown on the SC livestream tonight.

What was hilarious was seeing the broad level of detail of the planet surface, and then the completely incongruous landing zone bit where they'd actually made cliff faces and rocks and so on - it stuck out like a sore thumb.
This is what makes the E:D planetary stuff good; the interesting (and contextually accurate) landscapes they've made with vast canyons, overlapping craters etc. The SC stuff from tonight looked like a low-detail generic noise map surface, albeit with some decent atmosphere vfx.

As a counterpoint, the ship design stuff is really cool and I would love to see Derek go even more apeshit if and when this ridiculous game was somehow released in a half-decent form that generated lots of sales.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Star Citizen: Edit: The List got deleted by CIG

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Gryphon0468 posted:

You are a failure and need psychological help. Call 911.

He's a doozy

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

The reason the ED one maybe doesn't look 'as good' is because its real and they take the approach of make it work and then make it flashy

Namaste

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I get out from work to this glorious 500 posts. Thank you Star Citizen, your entertainment has been absolutely gratifying.

This game movie will win Best Plot Device of the year.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Eonwe posted:

Atmospherics make things look purty. I think thats the main difference.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

mashed_penguin posted:

Atmospherics make things look purty. I think thats the main difference.

Hell, just look what a fairly simple atmospheric filter does for something as cartoony as KSP:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
lmao Anybody notice in Christ Roberts stream that the dude who tried to salute Christ in-game, had his model get stuck in the T-position immediately. Right in front of Christ Roberts. That was fantastic, I honestly hope that was shitizen. If it was goon, well done, haha.

http://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen/v/30277203

Time: 2:40:40

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, I'm sure admiral superdick here is only in for $30.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Bait and Swatch posted:

Star Citizen: Edit: The List got deleted by CIG

The Million Mile High Club: (An exclusive bar only accessible to early backers.)
Character Customizer (armor / Clothes)
Increase number of supported players
FPS cover system
FPS Starts/Stops
FPS Aim/look pose separation
Physicalized EVA
Holotable improvement
Main menu art
FPS Hit reaction
FPS No weapon locomotion
FPS P4AR polish
FPS ArcLight polish
SPACEFLIGHT UI optimization
SPACEFLIGHT Focus Mode polish

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

hanales posted:

I'm downloading the full broadcast now in case it gets edited/deleted. If anyone wants gifs/highlights let me know a timestamp and I will see what I can do (or if you want the full video I can upload it somewhere, it's about 2GB)

I was hoping that someone was going to archive this, as I can see it being deleted from the twitch archive very quickly.

The whole thing is a goldmine of fuckups... I wondered what the hell was happening when the audio from the beginning of the livestream started again whilst Chris was trying to sort out his computer. The point that Chris doesn't know his way around the game speaks volumes. lol

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

D_Smart posted:

The Million Mile High Club: (An exclusive bar only accessible to early backers.)
Character Customizer (armor / Clothes)
Increase number of supported players
FPS cover system
FPS Starts/Stops
FPS Aim/look pose separation
Physicalized EVA
Holotable improvement
Main menu art
FPS Hit reaction
FPS No weapon locomotion
FPS P4AR polish
FPS ArcLight polish
SPACEFLIGHT UI optimization
SPACEFLIGHT Focus Mode polish
Why would they take it down?

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

1500 posted:

After 6 weeks, CIG denied my request for a refund.

Because I payed with Paypal, i am screwed.

When did you first pledge? I'm just wondering what version of the TOS you fall under. (Not that that's any justification, that refund denial was bullshit anyways.)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

This is the song, written 'bout the livestream,
This is the stream, Derek and Chris,
He triiiiied to kill me with a news van, ole!

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I can't help but roll my eyes at the Shitzens who think that procedural planet gen means something. Its another flashy commercial to sell jpegs. It is long past the point where flashy commercials and trailers matter. It is put your money where your mouth is time. You've had 4 years and produced a portion of content that should have been available two years ago and barely represents anything promised. Even if you have procedural planetary generation, so what? The game is so badly optimized it has trouble running on a computer with SLI Titans, a machine that can conceivably run any game ever made on the highest settings at 4k. How do you think it is going to handle planetary generation with that level of fidelity (hint: it won't).

Also, explain to me the logic of putting in procedural planetary generation when: You have released jack and poo poo regarding squadron 42, except for developers who had to make pew pew noises at PC gamer journalists because there wasn't even anything to show for it, major systems are still missing (the whole game part) and how are you going from a 16 player instance to a seamless world with thousands of players? Also mushmouth hasn't even played his own loving game.

And lol at these retards complaining about ED when the average shitzen is in for $90+ and people who paid $180 don't even get the loving game included (which coincidentally, is the lifetime price for ED). These people are so loving stupid it boggles my mind

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

quote:

of course it's impressive. tech demos tend to do just that. it's what they're designed for

it's all smoke and mirrors. as an engineer who has done this all before, I tell CLEARLY how they're faking it

it's quite easy to tell if you know what you're looking for. e.g. how the camera is fixed on planet view

notice how the camera flies away from the bldgs before zooming out to space

If it had zoomed from planet->space no way in hell CryEngine would've handled that level of fidelity at scale
poo poo, they almost had me there. Thank you for keeping us on the straight and narrow.

Just like the 64-Bit bullshit, this is just more of the same. In fact, if you compare the video trailer and the live play through, it's very easy to see how they used post-processing on the video because all the flaws are quite visible in the live play through, even with the compression of the TwitchTV stream.

They do this. All the time. They do these tech proof-of-concept for which half the poo poo either gets trashed, or is released in a shoddy fashion. Fan boys lap it up; then go give them money.

They have yet to deliver even 10% of a game promised, but they're pissing around with a stretch goal for a feature that was promised *after* the loving game was delivered. Think about that for a minute. Those engineers could be working on the loving game. But no, they needed something new to show.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

Just like the 64-Bit bullshit, this is just more of the same. In fact, if you compare the video trailer and the live play through, it's very easy to see how they used post-processing on the video because all the flaws are quite visible in the live play through, even with the compression of the TwitchTV stream.

Can you go into this a bit more? I'm trying to understand what about the reveal, particularly the live demonstration, indicates they're not being honest.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
This Killzone 2 game is pretty cool. Is the promotional video going to be the same quality as the final product?

I hear it'll release in 4 years.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

SwoleNerd
Jun 10, 2014
Reddit trying to justify the SQ42/PU split as "always part of the plan" is some jaw dropping revisionism.

Check out this clown who says "early backers have already gotten both games" without a hint of irony or awareness of what a released game looks like https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3x4l8v/star_citizen_and_squadron_42_will_be_separated/cy1jmxq

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MeLKoR posted:

Really, today Chris Roberts admitted live on air that it was the first time he was seeing the chat interface in his game. He couldn't even get his own game started on a 100% controlled environment, I'm absolutely flabbergasted, this is loving huge.

I would be livid if I had any money in this clowshoes operation. Loiosh man, I hope you are paying attention to this farce and at least try to get your money out and stop enabling this scam any longer.

Yup. That's where we are now. He looked completed out of touch. Fish out of water money. This is the end folks. They end.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Derek how do you feel about Croberts quote which was most likely aimed at you:
"I'd rather be making a game than tweeting all the time." - Chris Roberts

I didn't catch that. Do you have a time stamp in the stream.

But if he knows I'm tweeting all the time, then he must have people reporting to him about my tweeting habits. I'm flattered that they still keep tabs on me. Which is great because it means they're paying attention to me.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3x50zr/to_the_star_citizen_community_thank_you/

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Mirificus posted:

Why would they take it down?

Because some nasty, evil, faithless, heathen cur might hold them to it…

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

It will work perfectly for the intelligent cats evolving after WWIII killed off all humans in 3715 AD.

They will marvel at Chris' prowess as video game producer human thing. Especially when they see development only stopped literally days before the bombs fell. Only 1704 years! Those humans were smart!

Their sarcasm will be so biting, it'll open a hole in time and space itself, swallowing the Earth and ending all life forever.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Lol at least shill that madcatz hotass idiots

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Tippis posted:

Because some nasty, evil, faithless, heathen cur might hold them to it…
Is this what open development looks like?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mirificus posted:

It's open like a CYOA game. Get an outcome you didn't like? Good thing you kept your finger on that last page ;)

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Why are they even pretending to commit to 2.1 before Christmas? I thought they would have enough trouble as it is getting 2.0 live. They made every whale's Christmas by delivering 2.0, giving them false hope for 2.1 is just going to leave them frustrated and quietly stewing. What is the over-under that they will release a bug fix patch in the next week and call it 2.1?

"The stability in this patch is so good that we are naming it 2.1"

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

Yup. That's where we are now. He looked completed out of touch. Fish out of water money. This is the end folks. They end.

I disagree with you on this. If they were smart about it they could easily drag this on for years. Even if they are dumb they should easily make it through the drier patches until the next big sale, a minimum of 18 months if nothing spectacular happened. I admit though that I can't make heads or tails of their actions, they have ramped the money grabbing to 11 and everything they do screams desperation but there is no way they could have blown through most of $100 million is there? Even if they had, unless they had committed to further expenses beyond the normal development costs they should be able to bring in $30 million per year without too much effort. It's too big to fail at this point, they'll have no lack of whales willing to throw in good money after bad in a dire spot so why this desperate money grab?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The funniest thing about Chris hating the chat so much is that I'm pretty sure you can easily enter it just by pressing enter.

Also if you want to hear him rail about it yourself, click here and skip to 2:37:40. It's amazing.

SwoleNerd
Jun 10, 2014
The funniest thing to come out of star citizen is the footage of Roberts breaking the game and then stupidly tapping buttons and hitting keys like a toddler pretending to type.

I don't think he's ever demoed his movie without this happening to the point where It feels like any progress made on the actual game (lol) is reset the second croberts gets his hands on it in live from studio environment and wrecks poo poo so much that it basically pushes development back to square one.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the dreams happening were the dreams of Chris being a literal crazypants ideas guy who walks around and then sits down in front of his game and has no idea what it looks like and hates the interface

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Not sure who I like more, Christ Roberts or Robert Durst.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This bit made me lol where they faded from a video to Chris without sound, then to the ATV studio desk, and they didn't know they were live for quite a few seconds.

Their livestreams and shows make Bruce Wagner of OnlyOneTV look professional.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

hanales posted:

I'm downloading the full broadcast now in case it gets edited/deleted. If anyone wants gifs/highlights let me know a timestamp and I will see what I can do (or if you want the full video I can upload it somewhere, it's about 2GB)

Steampunk Santa rolling in at 2:31:10, please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Mirificus posted:

Yes. For certain values of “open” and “development”.

• Locked thread