Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Fiesta can probably hold two children in the back, but children also come with a shitload of stuff (diaper bag at minimum). You might be fine for puttering around town but if you were ever to take a more than say an hour or two trip with the kids I think space would be very tight.

The crossover ride height is very convenient for inserting car seats and yoots in to them, from what I've heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You need trunk space for groceries and strollers and pack and plays and luggage. Strollers are huge. Also if you want anyone to be able to sit in the front passenger seat the car has to be decently sized. If you have two car seats even more so.

Crossovers (modern station wagons) are ideal imho.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

mastershakeman posted:

When shopping for cars, is there a minimum size vehicle that can hold two baby seats? I have one kid on the way and probably another down the road but don't expect 3. Yet I get nonstop advice from coworkers to get crossover or bigger, whereas I figure even my dad's fiesta could hold two seats in the back. Am I wrong?

How long you looking to hold on to the car? I did just fine with a Prius till the kids were well into elementary school (including a stroller){And a 15 year old prius is going to be a great car for boys with a learners permit}. Now days we get a fair amount of value out of a minivan because they have friends who like to tag along to things, and taking one 7-8 seat van is better on gas and parking than two hatchbacks.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 9, 2015

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Slo-Tek posted:

How long you looking to hold on to the car? I did just fine with a Prius till the kids were well into elementary school (including a stroller){And a 15 year old prius is going to be a great car for boys with a learners permit}. Now days we get a fair amount of value out of a minivan because they have friends who like to tag along to things, and taking one 7-8 seat van is better on gas and parking than two hatchbacks.

As long as we can. Driving a 05 vibe with 162k and 99 camry with 101k on it. Mazda3 or focus hatch were my preferences but there's no wagon bigger than those it seems without going euro import?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Subaru Outback is a big wagon that isn't from Europe. Depending on how old you're looking for there's the Mazda 6 wagon too. But really, the extra height of a crossover will be really nice and they can still get very good gas mileage.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Highlander too.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I really hate tall vehicles though :I. Maybe I need to find a used Acura wagon since I'm assuming parts for that are cheaper than an Audi allroad or whatever. I didn't know about the 6 wagon though, I'll have to look for one that isn't destroyed by salt here (Chicago).

My wife is a huge Toyota fan-did/do they/lexus make any hatches or wagons that are bigger than the matrix (the same car as my vibe, which is a corolla hatch)?

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 9, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Slo-Tek posted:

The Prius is significantly larger than the Fiesta, for those keeping score at home who don't know the vehicles intimately.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

euphronius posted:

You need trunk space for groceries and strollers and pack and plays and luggage. Strollers are huge. Also if you want anyone to be able to sit in the front passenger seat the car has to be decently sized. If you have two car seats even more so.

Crossovers (modern station wagons) are ideal imho.

I've never had children, so I don't really know, but wouldn't it make sense to spend a little more and get a more compact stroller/child seat, rather than pay an extra 5-10k on getting a bigger car so you can buy the less expensive stroller and child seat?

People in other countries somehow manage to be able to raise families without buying huge cars. I don't see really why you'd need one, other than buying one with a third row so you can transport children with their friends.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Strollers with large wheels and canopies are useful for a variety of things and are obviously large.

Car seats are only big when they are really young and have to be backwards facing. But if your having two kids that's like 3 + years of time.

If your having kids hahah an extra 10k is minuscule to what is coming out of your pocket for them.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
When you have little hell-spawn in your life and need to move them and all their poo poo, $5-10,000 to make your life easier in any way is money well spend and worth it.

Buy the biggest car you're comfortable affording and driving daily. When my first daughter was born my wife had a Mazda6. After sitting cramped as hell in the front seat with it pushed up I couldn't trade that thing in fast enough. I now have a Taurus and my wife a Murano and I'm feeling pretty good with that combo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

silence_kit posted:

I've never had children, so I don't really know, but wouldn't it make sense to spend a little more and get a more compact stroller/child seat, rather than pay an extra 5-10k on getting a bigger car so you can buy the less expensive stroller and child seat?

People in other countries somehow manage to be able to raise families without buying huge cars. I don't see really why you'd need one, other than buying one with a third row so you can transport children with their friends.

people in other countries either have access to public transit or are cool with cramming six kids in to the Hindustan Ambassador without seatbelts or carseats

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

euphronius posted:

Strollers with large wheels and canopies are useful for a variety of things and are obviously large.

Car seats are only big when they are really young and have to be backwards facing. But if your having two kids that's like 3 + years of time.

If your having kids hahah an extra 10k is minuscule to what is coming out of your pocket for them.

Why do people buy those giant strollers? I don't have kids but they seem like they'd be unwieldy to maneuver and a pain in the rear end to store.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They aren't unwieldy and are much easier to handle due to the larger wheels. The larger canopy is more protection against the sun and weather.

Basically if you use it outside its better. If you want to jog you need huge wheels.

IMHO.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A decent stroller isn't that hard to maneuver, but yes they're a pain to store. My daughter is just now past any need for strollering and it's great.

Also, this:

euphronius posted:

In our Mazda3, the infant seat we had meant the passenger seat had to be full forward on its rails. Not a comfortable way to spend the first year.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There's a guy on Youtube called Alex on Autos and he has a segment where he reviews how well car seats will fit inside various vehicles. He has around 70 cars and SUVs he's reviewed by now.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdmWqCdsjCu50RxrEOlPZJLi8E-xolDWJ

See if anything in there is helpful.

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
Just found a 2013 Hyundai Genesis coupe, 3.8 GT auto, fully loaded. Less than 30K miles. Clean Carfax. $18K.

Assuming it passes a PPI, is there any reason to recommend it over or under an Infiniti G37 coupe, which would probably be from 2012, with more miles, and a few thousand dollars more expensive? I'm willing to spend the money if it gets me an awesome car over a shitbox, but if the gulf isn't that wide I would give up the luxury badge for some cheaper vroom-vroom. (It would also be my only car, so decent reliability and comfort for a short commute are both a plus.)

Blue Scream fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 12, 2015

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Have you driven a Genesis Coupe? The driving experience doesn't live up the specs on paper in my opinion. The manual version didn't really do it for when I was testing manual rwd coupes.

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
No, but I've always wanted to and of course I'd give it a good test drive before I would commit. I've heard the manual can be a pain, but this is an automatic.

e: I've had a closer look at the car and it's not for me. Previous owner lowered the suspension past what I personally find comfortable. Never mind :haw:

Blue Scream fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 12, 2015

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Sanity check: XV30 Camry V6 XLE trim (not sure what year, 2003-05) with 180000 mi for $2700. Seller is not a close friend but I'm certain nothing is being hidden since it's being shopped to their close friends. The guy who told me about it says that this lady was a nut about maintaining it, just wanted something with AWD for the winters. New-ish tires, new fan belt, new battery. Need to verify that they changed the timing belt but they should have a record of that.

I had almost the exact same car (4cyl) have a timing belt failure a year ago, so I'm a little reluctant - but on paper this is a pretty good deal, right? Definitely beats craigslist prices but wanted a second opinion).

antiga fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 15, 2015

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm starting to feel like car dealer's online inventory search is intentionally bad so that you end up buying a car that is roughly correct but local. Like on Ford's site, I can search for 19" wheels, but not for sunroof or upgraded engine.

Oh, and you can't even see whether a car has a sunroof without looking at the window sticker.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 15, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

antiga posted:

Sanity check: XV30 Camry V6 XLE trim (not sure what year, 2003-05) with 180000 mi for $2700. Seller is not a close friend but I'm certain nothing is being hidden since it's being shopped to their close friends. The guy who told me about it says that this lady was a nut about maintaining it, just wanted something with AWD for the winters. New-ish tires, new fan belt, new battery. Need to verify that they changed the timing belt but they should have a record of that.

I had almost the exact same car (4cyl) have a timing belt failure a year ago, so I'm a little reluctant - but on paper this is a pretty good deal, right? Definitely beats craigslist prices but wanted a second opinion).

Aren't both of those non-interference motors?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

smackfu posted:

I'm starting to feel like car dealer's online inventory search is intentionally bad so that you end up buying a car that is roughly correct but local. Like on Ford's site, I can search for 19" wheels, but not for sunroof or upgraded engine.

Oh, and you can't even see whether a car has a sunroof without looking at the window sticker.

I went to a dealer with my pops to test drive a '16 Volt. The local high volume dealer advertised eight in inventory. We went. They had none. gently caress dealers.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I went to a dealer with my pops to test drive a '16 Volt. The local high volume dealer advertised eight in inventory. We went. They had none. gently caress dealers.

I had the same experience. "Call me when you get one I will come and test drive it same day." Crickets, signed up for spam.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Can I trust a well maintained 08 Acura TL V6 with 80k miles to be reliable with just regular maintenance up to 160k miles or so? Found a clean example for $9500 but never paid that much for a car with that many miles. Consumer reliability reports are good but anyone know of transmission, engine or suspension issues with this model? I'm looking to do nothing but oil changes, filters, tires and transmission fluid changes for a few years.

Alternatively I could grab a 2010 Mazda 3 with 40k but the Acura is so much nicer that I'm willing to go for the higher mileage vehicle if it's got comparable reliability.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Ugh. I figured dealer inventory was at least reasonably correct (since it is on the manufacturers site), although like anything involving dealers, that seems foolish now that I think about it. They could trade a car to another dealer or sell it and not record it properly and who would know.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

smackfu posted:

Ugh. I figured dealer inventory was at least reasonably correct (since it is on the manufacturers site), although like anything involving dealers, that seems foolish now that I think about it. They could trade a car to another dealer or sell it and not record it properly and who would know.

It's not really on the manufacturer's site, exactly. The dealer provides inventory to the OEM. Who knows if it's correct? :iiam: spoiler alert: it isn't correct.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

tesilential posted:

Can I trust a well maintained 08 Acura TL V6 with 80k miles to be reliable with just regular maintenance up to 160k miles or so? Found a clean example for $9500 but never paid that much for a car with that many miles. Consumer reliability reports are good but anyone know of transmission, engine or suspension issues with this model? I'm looking to do nothing but oil changes, filters, tires and transmission fluid changes for a few years.

Alternatively I could grab a 2010 Mazda 3 with 40k but the Acura is so much nicer that I'm willing to go for the higher mileage vehicle if it's got comparable reliability.

Just FYI, the TL needs a timing belt and a belt tensioner in 10-20k miles.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Quick question for the people in the know of car buying. I'm looking at a Used 2015 Chevy Cruze LTZ and on the CarFax/Vehicle Report I saw this:

Does that mean I'd end up having to pay the old loan's payments and mine as well?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No, it means the seller's current loans need to be satisfied before the title can be transferred. There is pretty much no situation on earth where it would be a good idea to directly assume someone else's loan on a car. Seeing one on a car that new is not unusual, most people buying cheap cars don't have stacks of cash laying around. Are you buying this from a dealer or a private seller?

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

nm posted:

Aren't both of those non-interference motors?

I may be mistaken about my old car. When it overheated, the mechanic said that timing and tensioner needed replaced.

To the guy who asked about the Acura TL, the 3rd gen transmission changed (improved) between 06 and 07 model years so check on that. Timing belt replacement is probably already due, there's a recommended replacement in the manual based on both mileage and age. Timing + water pump cost me $875 at an Acura dealer when I bought mine, you might save a few bucks by doing it at Honda or independent.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

No, it means the seller's current loans need to be satisfied before the title can be transferred. There is pretty much no situation on earth where it would be a good idea to directly assume someone else's loan on a car. Seeing one on a car that new is not unusual, most people buying cheap cars don't have stacks of cash laying around. Are you buying this from a dealer or a private seller?

It was a dealer. The price is pretty low for the trim so I was curious what the "catch" might be.

http://www.bobsteelechevy.com/VehicleDetails/used-2015-Chevrolet-Cruze-LTZ-Cocoa-FL/2579854153

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

vyst posted:

It was a dealer. The price is pretty low for the trim so I was curious what the "catch" might be.

http://www.bobsteelechevy.com/VehicleDetails/used-2015-Chevrolet-Cruze-LTZ-Cocoa-FL/2579854153

Less than a year old, sold by a dealer with a lien on it? It got repo'd is my guess.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
Help me make a decision, thread. Decided I want to either purchase a 2013 Kia Soul with 48k miles or a 2014 Hyundai Accent with 25k miles. Both have like 3 years left on their 5yr/60k mile factory warranties. The Hyundai costs 1k more. I like how the Soul is spacious for passengers, it's styling, and the driving visibility. The Accent has better MPG and that huge existing warranty buys some peace of mind. I've been saving for some time to pay in cash, I don't know if I'll be able to do the same if something goes horribly wrong a year from now and the Kia warranty is expired. What do you guys think?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

IRQ posted:

Less than a year old, sold by a dealer with a lien on it? It got repo'd is my guess.

Yup, almost certainly this. While there's only so much damage you can do in a year (assuming you aren't actively trying to wreck it, of course) I would not exactly be jumping all over that deal.

That said, assuming it's not some shithole masquerading as at least a semi-legit dealer, then whatever lien was on the car has already been satisfied. The dealer wouldn't have been able to get the title to the car themselves if it wasn't.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yup, almost certainly this. While there's only so much damage you can do in a year (assuming you aren't actively trying to wreck it, of course) I would not exactly be jumping all over that deal.

That said, assuming it's not some shithole masquerading as at least a semi-legit dealer, then whatever lien was on the car has already been satisfied. The dealer wouldn't have been able to get the title to the car themselves if it wasn't.

Thanks I decided to pass on it. That screamed yellow borderline red flag anyway and I hadn't even looked at the car yet

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I got plans that involve moving a lot of heavy poo poo and also digging a good many holes in the ground. Specifically, I'm going to chop down a bunch of trees, and then haul the logs into a sheltered valley, stick them in the ground and use them to support grape vines. One of the discs in my spine doesn't work anymore, so I'm not able to do any of this manually. I need a tractor.

I've googled "tips for buying a used tractor" and I know that I need something with a PTO shaft and an auger attachment at very least. But a backhoe attachment would be ideal and a brushcutter would be nice-to-have. As would a roll bar. I am not able to find any database of which attachments are available for what tractors, nor any comparison of their relative reliability or asian-made greymarket knockoff compatibility.

Do any of you guys know tractor stuff?

e:

Proposed Budget: as cheap as possible. Under $2000 preferred.
New or Used: used
Body Style: tractor
How will you be using the car?: digging holes, plant murder (http://ontariotrees.com/main/species.php?id=2072), moving big rocks out of my way, towing logs from where I cut down trees to where I need logs to be.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? no
What aspects are most important to you? cheap, built like a brick.
3. If you do not live in the U.S. you should probably say so because what's available can vary a lot. Canada.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 17, 2015

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know nothing about tractors but you might want to try in this thread too: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3302145&perpage=40&pagenumber=37#pti20 It's not very high traffic but there were lots of tractor havers in there.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Well goddamn. I searched for tractors but failed to find a thread. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Proposed Budget: Around $20K or less?
New or Used: Either
Body Style: 4-door hatch
How will you be using the car?: Probably not commuting, but weekend shopping poo poo, road trips, etc. Sometimes I need to put big things like bikes or animal cages in it. No kids anytime soon for me so that's not a concern.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: I would like some gizmos, but only stuff that's actually practical, not really interested in luxury for its own sake.
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, easy to care for, has an auto transmission, driving enjoyment (yes I know that usually conflicts with the previous thing), build quality especially on the interior, comfortable and quiet, small so it's less unpleasant to drive in the city, good cargo space/usability for a small car, useful modern gizmos, classic looks, something I'm gonna want to drive for half a decade at least
If you do not live in the U.S. you should probably say so because what's available can vary a lot: Nah I'm :911:

I'm kicking around the idea of getting a different car. I have a 2005 Prius with 112K miles or so. I don't have any pressing reasons to ditch it, mostly just because the odometer ain't getting any lower, I'd like something more modern and fun and I am far enough into my career to where I can afford something a bit better. I still have a little left on the loan but I'm definitely at least few G's above water on it if I sold it or traded it in.

Anyway, I've looked at the following current models and had the following thoughts:

VW Golf: It sounds like this thing is a near-perfect fit to what I want but I'm afraid of buying a VW because of their reputation for unreliability and expensive repairs. Coming from Hondas and Toyotas, VWs sound scary. I haven't done the research to know if unreliability is actually an issue with this model though. Heck I am not really sure how to do that kind of research for a newer car.

Ford Fiesta and Focus: I love how they look but reviewers seem meh about the non-ST versions and I can't get an ST because Ford didn't give them ATs. Ford hates ATs apparently because no one seems to like the ATs for these two models. The Fiesta's cargo room and interior design sound inadequate.

Honda Fit: Was looking very hard at this one but it sounds like the build quality and interior aren't that impressive to where I'd want to actually hold onto it for several years. It's adorable and clever though. Haven't been anywhere near one in person so maybe it's fine, I dunno. Seriously I don't think I've seen one "in the wild" yet, it's weird. No one in Portland can afford new cars I guess.

Mazda MAZDA3 MazdaMAZDAMazda whatever the gently caress it is god Mazda is poo poo at naming things: Reviewers seem to love it but I think it's kind of ugly, it's just as long as my Prius and I've heard the ride is kind of rough and loud.

Toyota/Scion anything: Sounds like they are all pretty mediocre, they're ugly too.

Any advice? Other models worth looking at, even from previous years? I really haven't paid attention to the car scene for the past several years so there's likely stuff I've missed out on.