Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

JetsGuy posted:

I dunno, I rewatched 1x10 last night and I just get increasingly angry at Jules' naivety. Christ on a cracker. Do you believe the tapes or not? Because your whole character's motivation is that these tapes are REALLLLL but not for this guy because reasons.

Like seriously, the Joe-Jules dynamic really hurts the show to me. I like it overall though, so I'm just still at "I don't know"

I think going along with the theme of paralleling how 'real people' react, and possible life under fascism, and the alternate realities I see a perspective that (Joe film) this alternate Joe being a Nazi doesn't really imply her Joe is... Like how a few things change and we can be totally different people. I don't really buy OUR Joe executing all his friends, but that anyone has the capacity for this evil in different situations, or something. The highway patrolman for instance, good small town cop in our world, nazi thug in their world who shrugs about the crematoriums.

I'm doing a terrible job saying it, but maybe from a certain perspective Jules isn't entirely naive and dumb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Brother Friendship posted:

I rewatched a scene from the finale and I saw something that cleared up a question I saw earlier in the thread.

1x10
Hitler is most definitely the man in the high castle as far as the show is concerned. The film he's watching is the same one that Jules and Frank watched in the first episode and both movies focused on the Swastika being destroyed atop the Reichstag building. There's no reason to believe that there are multiple redundant films in the universe and of the three instances we see a film played two of them are from the same universe whereas every other instance is a different universe (Russia rules the world/San Fransico is nuked). This link means that Hitler is actually in complete control of the Resistance and he used Rudolph to flush out Heydrick's betrayal to secure his grasp on power internally. In doing so, however, he's exposed the Reich to a Japanese nuclear attack and has likely doomed his world to an even more destructive World War than if he never allowed Rudulph to finish his mission. In attempting to preserve peace Hitler has doomed himself and put the Reich in tremendous danger.

It's a very good show with an unfortunate amount of filler. I was literally applauding at several of the finale's scenes. I was drunk

My only reservation about this interpretation is that the weapon plans in discussion were nuclear weapons plans. While thats possible, I think the idea of it being a tool to travel between the multiverse they established with the films that is confirmed as possible by Tagomi at the end, makes for a more interesting branch point. But it's well supported to be either, especially if this is all we get. The uranium deposits mapping implies the japanese want to level the playing field, the plans themselves are never made explicit what they're for, and it's possible that in bizzaro world they have other plans. They really left it vauge enough for them to take it in a couple different ways.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Question about 1x10

Who was the guy next to Frank in the execution tape? Juliana asks him if he recognized the guy and he said no but he seemed a little iffy about it, and I expected some kind of answer to that. Was there one?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Moose-Alini posted:

I think going along with the theme of paralleling how 'real people' react, and possible life under fascism, and the alternate realities I see a perspective that (Joe film) this alternate Joe being a Nazi doesn't really imply her Joe is... Like how a few things change and we can be totally different people. I don't really buy OUR Joe executing all his friends, but that anyone has the capacity for this evil in different situations, or something. The highway patrolman for instance, good small town cop in our world, nazi thug in their world who shrugs about the crematoriums.

I'm doing a terrible job saying it, but maybe from a certain perspective Jules isn't entirely naive and dumb?

No, Juliana is pretty bad. Joe is a total dick; don't forget that he has a girlfriend with a small child that he totally abandons and leaves for the Nazis to execute because he didn't get the tape, or maybe he did get the tape and is headed back to New York by way of Mexico and he just conned Juliana for the tape cause who the hell knows at this point but, Joe is a total dick.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I liked the show, but I can't help but think a show with this setting starring Lem and Karen would be better. They seem so much more competent and generally less lovely than the main characters we have.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Finished the show. Some thoughts:

-I don't read sci-fi and I'm really disappointed that it looks like the show involves alternate universes. That 100% less interesting than a straight up alternative history.

-Juliana is an idiot and Joe is boring. How many times did she make an awful decision that screwed things up for everyone else?

-As usual, the villainous characters were more interesting than the heroes. The show did a great job making you root for Literally Hitler and then regret it. The high-level machinations to avoid war were way more interesting than anything involving White Love Triangle.

I don't think this was bad per se but I'm not sure if I'll watch the second season if the show goes full on weird sci-fi from here.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

beejay posted:

Question about 1x10

Who was the guy next to Frank in the execution tape? Juliana asks him if he recognized the guy and he said no but he seemed a little iffy about it, and I expected some kind of answer to that. Was there one?

I took it as she was asking who the guy was shooting everyone. At first the face is hard to make out before it's revealed to be Joe.

radical meme posted:

No, Juliana is pretty bad. Joe is a total dick; don't forget that he has a girlfriend with a small child that he totally abandons and leaves for the Nazis to execute because he didn't get the tape, or maybe he did get the tape and is headed back to New York by way of Mexico and he just conned Juliana for the tape cause who the hell knows at this point but, Joe is a total dick.

She loves him and just is letting that get in the way of her decision making process. And yes, Joe is a horrendous human being but it does seem the writers are trying to make it "ambiguous" just because he doesn't want to kill this one girl. So I guess they both are, and so we have TV drama and we have a stupid character conflict that will not resolve itself or resolve itself badly.

It just distracts from the whole show though which is otherwise great.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Joe needs to make up his drat mind because he's trying to have it both ways.

He's too boring to be a leading man and not hard-edged enough to be believable as a Nazi. What motivates him to work for the government in the first place. Patriotism? Racism? We have no idea because he never displays emotions of any kind.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

zakharov posted:

I don't think this was bad per se but I'm not sure if I'll watch the second season if the show goes full on weird sci-fi from here.
I actually would be a lot more interested in the show if it starts going batshit sci-fi with alternate universes like Fringe. And if I'm not mistaken, there's already more than the universe the show takes place in and our world; Joe mentions a film reel with Stalin alive in it a year after his death in our world. But yeah, anything would be better than the white people love triangle. Those three characters are incredibly boring. The focus on that trio in the episodes after Canon City and before the last two and a half or so was really detrimental to the show's quality, to the extent that I think this could've easily been a five or six episode series instead.

zakharov posted:

He's too boring to be a leading man and not hard-edged enough to be believable as a Nazi. What motivates him to work for the government in the first place. Patriotism? Racism? We have no idea because he never displays emotions of any kind.

I was wondering the exact same thing. Did I miss his motivation for being a Nazi agent? Is he just naturally a bad person?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Nichael posted:

I was wondering the exact same thing. Did I miss his motivation for being a Nazi agent? Is he just naturally a bad person?

Getting back at his dad.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

r0ck0 posted:

Getting back at his dad.

Yeah, that makes sense. Honestly, I probably didn't realize that because a lot of scenes with the main three got rather boring.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Nichael posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. Honestly, I probably didn't realize that because a lot of scenes with the main three got rather boring.

It's easy to forget because he mentions it once. I really just don't understand the writers motivations for making him a love interest for this show.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

JetsGuy posted:

It's easy to forget because he mentions it once. I really just don't understand the writers motivations for making him a love interest for this show.

Agreed. Both love interests are sucky, but literal Nazi man is especially terrible. If I were the showrunner, I think I'd try to broaden the focus of the show. I'd keep Frank, Juliana, and Joe around with less screentime though.

Rarrgh
Nov 7, 2011

Nichael posted:

I liked the show, but I can't help but think a show with this setting starring Lem and Karen would be better. They seem so much more competent and generally less lovely than the main characters we have.

This. You've very simply summed up how this good show could have been great.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
EDIT: Apparently quote IS edit according to my app. Cool.

See below for what I was trying to do.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 19, 2015

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I still don't know what Joe's world view is, and not in a "what an intriguing mystery" kind of way.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

zakharov posted:

I still don't know what Joe's world view is, and not in a "what an intriguing mystery" kind of way.

:ssh: The writers don't either. They're trying to create some sort of extra drama because apparently the actual drama of the real plotline wasn't enough without ~a love story~.

It reminds me a lot of Agents of SHIELD with Ward. In both cases, they're unadulterated evil literally helping the Nazis as undercover agents. In both cases, they're not victims of circumstance, like they may claim, they're just evil scum who happen to start thinking with their other head over a girl and that gives them "conflict". I haven't watched S3 of AoS yet, but at least Skye loving learned seemed to learn her goddamned lesson, though it took one of the team getting disabled for her to learn that lesson. I guess my bigger problem is in Jules terrible decision making wrt to Joe than Joe himself. He just keeps outing himself more and more and she just keeps dismissing it it's :psyduck:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Dropping Jules, Joe and Frank entirely for the next season would be the smartest move they could make.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Dropping Jules, Joe and Frank entirely for the next season would be the smartest move they could make.

Frank's actions make some kind of sense. His girlfriend hung him out to dry, he's suffering severe PTSD, etc.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If Frank has PTSD from his sister being killed, Jules probably has PTSD from her sister being killed in front of her?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

JetsGuy posted:

:ssh: The writers don't either. They're trying to create some sort of extra drama because apparently the actual drama of the real plotline wasn't enough without ~a love story~.

I think you found the problem with the whole drat TV show; the writers are trying to make it something that the novel never intended it to be, a love story. I'm not interested in watching another love story. If they have a season 2, and I'm not convinced they will, and if the Juliana/Joe/Frank thing is the center of the action then screw this show and Amazon for making it suck. From reading this thread, it appears that the show has already burned through 90% of the storyline from the novel, making significant changes to most of it, so everything from here on is pure new territory for the plot line.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The Man in the High Castle Season Two: Multiverse Adventures with Inspector Kido and Trade Minister Tagomi.

I'm in.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

JonathonSpectre posted:

The Man in the High Castle Season Two: Multiverse Adventures with Inspector Kido and Trade Minister Tagomi.

I'm in.

Oooooh poo poo! Didn't occur to me that Kido could come back from another universe!

Edit: oh wait he didn't actually end up dead, did he

Moose-Alini fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 12, 2015

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Moose-Alini posted:

Oooooh poo poo! Didn't occur to me that Kido could come back from another universe!

Edit: oh wait he didn't actually end up dead, did he

Yeah, he's alive because Frank's friend hosed up destroying the gun. Which is a sort of interesting end to that storyline: no matter what, someone who doesn't deserve to die is going to die for it, whether it be Frank or his friend, or Kido killing himself, so in a way I don't even feel as bad that his friend took the fall.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

IXIX posted:

Yeah, he's alive because Frank's friend hosed up destroying the gun. Which is a sort of interesting end to that storyline: no matter what, someone who doesn't deserve to die is going to die for it, whether it be Frank or his friend, or Kido killing himself, so in a way I don't even feel as bad that his friend took the fall.

To be fair, someone who didn't deserve to die already died for it... the head of the guard who killed himself for allowing it to happen

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
This season would've been so much better if it had ended with Juliana killing Joe instead of saving him.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Lycus posted:

This season would've been so much better if it had ended with Juliana killing Joe instead of saving him.

The whole of her stupidity would have been forgiven if the season ended like that.

But as I said the writers want a love interest which is just asinine and takes away from the story overall.

Popcornicus
Nov 22, 2007

Up to 1x08. I like everything except scenes with Joe, Jules, and Frank. Unfortunately those three are most of the show. They need to lose the generic American characters and focus more on Smith, Tagomi, etc. The VA day episode was the highlight so far.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Unfortunately, you can't just drop the main three completely, or it'd be incredibly jarring. Keeping them with a diminished focus would be best. There's even room to keep their awful love triangle, but future episodes should work to make the audience convinced as to why any of the main three like each other. It's like what zakharov said: Joe's motivations (as well as his appeal to Juliana) are mostly a mystery because of generally poor writing of him, not because the writers consciously made him a challenging riddle for the audience to figure out.

JonathonSpectre posted:

I'm in.
Me too. I hope if a season two is made, they're aware that they actually succeeded in making a bunch of cool characters that exist on the fringes of the show. Old man Hitler is pretty fascinating too, though I wonder if it's best to use him sparingly.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 13, 2015

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If Joe’s going to be in season 2, I want it to be through yellow‐tinted scenes as a lonely exile in Mexico, with no direct involvement in the main plot.

Popcornicus
Nov 22, 2007

1x10 Rudolf's scene with his family is fantastic. I hope the next season, if they get one, has more like this.

Nichael posted:

Unfortunately, you can't just drop the main three completely, or it'd be incredibly jarring. Keeping them with a diminished focus would be best. There's even room to keep their awful love triangle, but future episodes should work to make the audience convinced as to why any of the main three like each other. It's like what zakharov said: Joe's motivations (as well as his appeal to Juliana) are mostly a mystery because of generally poor writing of him, not because the writers consciously made him a challenging riddle for the audience to figure out.

That's true. They could simply write the characters better.

Edit: The hunting lodge/castle scene was dynamite. High-level intrigue is good.

Popcornicus fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 13, 2015

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Brother Friendship posted:

I rewatched a scene from the finale and I saw something that cleared up a question I saw earlier in the thread.

1x10
whereas every other instance is a different universe (Russia rules the world/San Fransico is nuked). This link means that Hitler is actually in complete control of the Resistance and he used Rudolph to flush out Heydrick's betrayal to secure his grasp on power internally.

No, 'it was Soviet propaganda for Joseph Stalin from 1954.' That's all he says. It may or may not be our timeline - he died in 1953, but Kruschchev didn't denounce him until 1956 and he remained basically a saint up until them - but then neither is Grasshopper from the books. Either way, the Soviet Union had newsreel in the 50s and also English-language propaganda; it's not claiming it was US newsreel praising the guy.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 15, 2015

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
It's been renewed for season 2.

http://deadline.com/2015/12/the-man-in-the-high-castle-renewed-season-2-amazon-1201669352/

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I never had any doubt.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

JetsGuy posted:

EDIT:

Frank Spotnitz posted:

Personal relationships with higher stakes

“Two other principle changes was creating a relationship between Juliana (Alexa Davalos) and the film, a personal relationship. So I invented the character of the sister who has the film and who dies after she passes the film to Juliana,” Spotnitz explains. “I also rewound the state of Frank and Juliana’s relationship because the novel begins with them already split up, she’s already in Canon City. I wanted that relationship to still be in play and still be a stake, something that could be threatened, so I brought her back to San Francisco and they’re still together as a couple.”

Re-imagining Joe Blake

“The character of Joe (Luke Kleintank) is quite different in the book. I really wanted a sort of love triangle, although I hate to use the word ‘love’ because it kind of diminishes the richness of what those relationships represent,” says Spotnitz. “In one sense, Juliana is torn romantically between Frank (Rupert Evans) and Joe, but in a larger sense, Frank and Joe are two different ways of responding to this world. I really wanted Juliana to be torn between two different responses to the world. It’s not just a love story, it’s about a lot more than that.”

See? The whole loving show is going to be some sort of commentary on how to view the world - Frank's way or Joe's way.

I've been going back through the series and I'm convinced this is where they're going with it. It's going to be a show about two different reactions to the horrors of the axis controlling the country.

Speculative:
We have Joe who while working for the Nazis will "CHOOSE LOVE" and now that Smith will be promoted he'll have a direct line to the high officials in the American Reich.

On the other hand Frank wants to hide and just let things be. He had his crisis moment but it overcame him. He wants to hide in the neutral zone and do nothing.

Jules even in early episodes gets really mad at Frank for not understanding her feels about the film. She even says its like she doesn't know him anymore.

Jules will leave Frank for Joe as some sort of message about standing up against evil even when that means trusting unlikely allies.

I'll watch season 2, but I'm already really annoyed that it's just so boilerplate and predictable.

As for the Japanese-Nazis? I predict it will be a parallel. The Japanese will show strength through wanting peace (though it will take convincing the new emperor) and the Nazis Will be the antagonists who want total victory. The Japanese will win because CHOOSE LOVE is better than HATE.

This show has so much potential and maybe the relationship poo poo is making me cynical. But it's hard not to believe it'll be some hamfisted thing in the end when there's no reason for this love triangle other than to do something like this.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Like I really enjoy the scenes with the Nazis living normal lives and such. Especially in regards to Rudolph.

I want more of that and more things like the interactions between the two axis politically. This show would own so much as a political intrigue show.

:smith:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The Man in The High Castle: Everyone good dies and the Nazi gets away.

The entire premise of this series feels so wasted. At the end of the first season almost nothing has changed, we have no idea about what the films are or how the timeline got changed and there's no political change between the two countries. The only thing that's happened is that we've got to see a few Jewish people get killed for being vaguely decent.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Yorkshire Tea posted:

The Man in The High Castle: Everyone good dies and the Nazi gets away.

The entire premise of this series feels so wasted. At the end of the first season almost nothing has changed, we have no idea about what the films are or how the timeline got changed and there's no political change between the two countries. The only thing that's happened is that we've got to see a few Jewish people get killed for being vaguely decent.

The show does briefly mention things that happened to change the timeline. JFK was assassinated. In the book, this event leads to (backstory spoilers for the book)America not getting through the Depression. We remain isolationist through the next three presidents. We get hosed hard at Pearl Harbor this time because our significantly smaller fleet is pretty much all there (as opposed to being largely in the Pacific). In addition we don't have the ability to help Europe and the Nazis are able to easily handle the Allies. The Slavs are exterminated.

Of course Hitler also is in the late stages of syphilis and as such is incapacitated.

Small question I have though is when the characters talk about the H bomb. Are they meaning the Heisenberg Bomb (what we think of as the "A bomb" fission weapons? Or, since the Nazis have a fusion bomb (Hydrogen Bomb) are they talking about that?

Also yes the characters in this show will make you cheer for the axis powers. Which is quite the feat.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I just finished episode six and I had to take a break because this show is so loving depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

JetsGuy posted:

JFK was assassinated.

You're posting from another timeline, aren't you?

• Locked thread