Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I know it's not the Australian version, but I happened to be in the UK this summer and caught a broadcast of Masterchef UK. I was floored by the difference in tone and structure. It was so much friendlier, the judges actually gave useful feedback to the contestants, and the elimination was done with as little fan fair as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Even in the very first episode of every season of MC/MCj, they make a big deal out of the elimination, even though we haven't even really met or care about the contestants. It's pretty funny. But that's why I like these shows, they're dumb as hell.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Didn't Gordon berate the poo poo out of some woman in auditions a few years ago for using truffle oil? Not this OH MAN I CAN TASTE THE TRUFFLES IN THE BACK OF MY THROAT IT'S SO WONDERFUL JIMP business

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I loved this week's 'totally not an advert for processed avocado (it's gluten free!)’ challenge. :allears:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Gordon really likes that bounce house.

\/\/ Haha, I thought that too.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 5, 2015

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Why did Gordon put a bunch of big golden dick balloons up at a children's party

Those belong at a not children party

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Ugh Ian surviving again, does he have dirt on the judges? Like every elimination he is in he's had to have one of the 3 come over and fix things for him. I've never disliked a kid contestant in any of the other seasons like I have him I hate every moment he is on the tv. Its completely irrational I know but I just do not like that kid.

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.

DurosKlav posted:

Ugh Ian surviving again, does he have dirt on the judges? Like every elimination he is in he's had to have one of the 3 come over and fix things for him. I've never disliked a kid contestant in any of the other seasons like I have him I hate every moment he is on the tv. Its completely irrational I know but I just do not like that kid.

I don't know what it is about this kid either, but I'm with you. Everything about him just bugs me. I've watched every season of this and never had a response to a contestant like this before.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Obviously what this means is he's a lock for the finale despite not being good at anything

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
The kid constatntly freaking out and crying makes for "good tv" of course they keep him around.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I'm now more than ever convinced that Ian has a picture of Gordon eating a McDonalds cheeseburger and following it up with Walmart Steak.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
It's kinda sad how Season 6 of Hell's Kitchen became one of the more depressing seasons of the show.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Tired Moritz posted:

It's kinda sad how Season 6 of Hell's Kitchen became one of the more depressing seasons of the show.

Has something else happened?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Testekill posted:

Has something else happened?

Nah, just the winner being in jail is kinda a bummer. And how Robert didn't go further.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Robert turned out to be a flaming dickbag, and is it really so hard to put down the fork? His weight nearly killed him for gently caress's sake.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Propaganda Machine posted:

Robert turned out to be a flaming dickbag, and is it really so hard to put down the fork? His weight nearly killed him for gently caress's sake.

And it kept him from flying in those very social "jet fighters" that had props.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
Robert dropped a bunch of weight pretty recently. Don't know where I saw it posted originally, but he's WAY smaller.

Off topic for this thread, but is there a Top Chef thread for this season? I can't seem to find it if there is one.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Propaganda Machine posted:

I still like him. :(
He's not loving Elise, at least.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Scott808 posted:

Robert dropped a bunch of weight pretty recently. Don't know where I saw it posted originally, but he's WAY smaller.

I'm Facebook friends with him. He hasn't posted since October but he's trimmed down a lot, has a new girlfriend, and appears to much happier.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Lol at Ian being unable to cut celery or wash the dirt off of it even, Ian for Masterchef Junior winner

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Scott808 posted:

Off topic for this thread, but is there a Top Chef thread for this season? I can't seem to find it if there is one.

No but there should be, Grayson is basically the height of tv cooking shows.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Grem posted:

No but there should be, Grayson is basically the height of tv cooking shows.

Was there a new episode this week? I like Grayson's moxie but she's never impressed me. If I recall correctly, the almost just slapped a giant steak on the plate in Texas and called it Top Chef.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Finally. I dont think I could take another week of the judges having to help fix something Ians messed up yet not eliminating him.

Also I find it funny that Fox appears to have spoiled the final 3 are for Master Chef Junior in a drat commercial for another show while Master Chef is airing. Funny but not surprising really.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

WescottF1 posted:

I'm Facebook friends with him. He hasn't posted since October but he's trimmed down a lot, has a new girlfriend, and appears to much happier.

Wasn't he married? Dang, but good for him, I guess.

bigE
Nov 26, 2004

Oh, ye of little faith.
This is the last MasterChef season for Graham...

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/18/graham-elliot-leaving-masterchef?iid=sr-link1

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'm getting caught up on Masterchef Junior the past couple days. The thing that's bothering me about it is how they seem to have intentionally marked kids they want to go far with some "memorable" prop - Addison's hat, Amaya's glasses, Kya's bow, or a goofy fake-sounding story like JJ's hunting and Avery's "i'm from the ~bayou~" stuff. Everyone else seems to just have hardly any camera time so you know they could go at any time, unless they're Ian and his annoying face.

I don't even buy the crying and being sad when people get eliminated thing anymore. Even that is probably scripted.

I also didn't understand why they made them cook with truffle oil. They absolutely ream anyone in regular Masterchef for even thinking of using it. Not only did they not complain about it, they encouraged them to use it. I know they're kids but they should still be judged by the same standards as the adult chefs (just toned down on the mean-ness).

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Murphy Brownback posted:

I don't even buy the crying and being sad when people get eliminated thing anymore. Even that is probably scripted.

Really? You think kids aren't crying when they lose a competition on national television? Have you ever been around children?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

WampaLord posted:

Really? You think kids aren't crying when they lose a competition on national television? Have you ever been around children?

Ok fine, I was more thinking of the group hugs and highfives and encouragement. Most people seemed to say that was what made the show good in the first place so it wouldn't surprise me if the writers encouraged the kids to crank that up.

Also I don't think we can honestly call this or the regular show legitimate competitions at this point.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I'm kinda disappointed that Ian was kicked out. He was entertainingly useless and I wanted to see him bumble into the grand final.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

He lost his weight and now he's losing his show!

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Season 15 credits:

http://zap2it.com/2016/01/hells-kitchen-season-15-opening-credits-video/

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Christina Wilson posted:

I am honored and privileged to be assisting Gordon Ramsay as his sous chef for the red team of Hell's Kitchen season 15! Please tune in as this group of aspiring chefs take on the heat!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKX6YRwv9JU

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Chef Andi was the only reason to watch that train wreck screw you fox

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Christina's really good though. If Andi has to be replaced I'm happy with Christina in Ramsay Mode.

Thanks to this thread (or one of the previous ones) for recommending The F Word. It's so loving good I can barely stand it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I welcome the hells kitchen editing team with open arms.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Whats the over under on ambulance shots this season? I'm gonna go with 3. Whats everyone's bet?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Whats the over under on ambulance shots this season? I'm gonna go with 3. Whats everyone's bet?

I'm betting 5. Does that include ones in the opening/closing of an episode?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Testekill posted:

I'm betting 5. Does that include ones in the opening/closing of an episode?

Nah, then we'd be in the double digits within two episodes. I think an honest accountance of injury/super-fat-person-that-can't-breathe-because-their-skin-is-in-the-way comeupance is what we should strive for.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nah, then we'd be in the double digits within two episodes. I think an honest accountance of injury/super-fat-person-that-can't-breathe-because-their-skin-is-in-the-way comeupance is what we should strive for.

Right, dropping my bet to 2 then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Is anyone even watching MC Jr this season? I am more or less by default and it's super boring.