Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

The only good thing about having those CRTs was being able to sit your SNES on top of them.

At least until it inevitably fell on the floor thanks to the sheer weight of the RF cabling dragging it backwards in small increments.

Did you have wireless SNES controllers or did you just happen to enjoy playing with controller cables dangling in front of the screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
remeber when N64 madethe first wireless controllers they were called liek wave bird or somethign i think and lke they took the spot where youd put a memory card or rumble pack? lol remember rumble packs??

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Nooner posted:

remeber when N64 madethe first wireless controllers they were called liek wave bird or somethign i think and lke they took the spot where youd put a memory card or rumble pack? lol remember rumble packs??

Nooner you having a stroke?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Otisburg posted:

I bought a 48" 1081i widescreen projection TV in tyool 2004, for like 1200 bucks. The red projector went out of alignment and I ended up giving it way a few years ago to save having to haul it to the dump, fortunately I got some takers on craigslist.

If only I'd waited a couple years. :smith:

I think I've only seen a couple of rear projection CRT TVs that actually looked really good and both were in high-end home theater stores. They needed alignment adjustments frequently enough that there were usually user accessible settings for that, but for the picture not to be crappy there were many other adjustments that had to be made to them, most of which you couldn't do without going into the service menu or opening the casing and physically adjusting things. Back around the turn of the century I remember seeing people on message boards who actually made a living by traveling around and calibrating TVs for a few hundred dollars a pop and they had months longs wait lists because uncalibrated CRT projection TVs generally looked like garbage.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
I worked an AV job and had to get many 32" TVs on a cart by myself. It's supposed to be a 2 man job but too many times I'm the only one there. I'd lift the TV waist high, bend backward and push up to get the fucker up on there. Once there it's secured with a strap.
I'm surprised I didn't blow out my sacroiliac on that job.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Champenema posted:

my sacroiliac

lol your ballsacoiliac more like it!!!! hahahahaha

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
^^^or get a hernia

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

The_Franz posted:

Back around the turn of the century I remember seeing people on message boards who actually made a living by traveling around and calibrating TVs for a few hundred dollars a pop and they had months longs wait lists because uncalibrated CRT projection TVs generally looked like garbage.
yeah i reckon back upon "the turn" it werent more from 1 house in need to the next that such a man couldnt see just yonder
*spittoon ding*

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Testikles posted:

There's a scene in some German movie from the 70s where the elderly mom reveals to her grown up kids she's having an interracial relationship with a much younger man their age. One of the kids gets super pissed off and tries to kick the TV in and it takes like ten tries before it happens because it's several inches of glass.

The film is called Ali: Fear Eats the Soul. I think it's rather good.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Lmao

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Those rear projection TVs were pretty awesome for about two years before they became completely obselete

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Aralan posted:

Those rear projection TVs were pretty awesome for about two years before they became completely obselete

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
im pretty sad at how hard people find it to lift an old tv

Boko Haram
Dec 22, 2008

gary oldmans diary posted:

im pretty sad at how hard people find it to lift an old tv

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Aralan posted:

nah only for poors. rich people bought them when they cost as much as a car before plasma got going. my friends parents had one next to their hot tub and their wine cellar.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

my dad has this exact tv. still to this day.

the thing w rear projection is rthat you need to calibrate them occasionally especially if you like move em around and my dad has never done that. ever. theres clear color splitting and poo poo but whatever hes replaced it with a plasma tv now. ugh

i remember plauying mass effect when it came out and being wowed at the fidelity of sweaty alien rear end cheeks despite the blurry color separation

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Ein cooler Typ posted:

check out this flier someone put up at work

old televisions literally have negative value. you can't give them away. Goodwill won't even take them anymore

you have to pay to recycle them at the county dump

does someone literally think they can get $75 for a huge old CRT? not even a good one like a Sony Triniton

is she delusional or just trying to rip someone off

also I guess we are to assume the Magnavox is black and white.

Colorsylvania sounds like some weird dracula tv show

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

error1 posted:

Did you have wireless SNES controllers or did you just happen to enjoy playing with controller cables dangling in front of the screen?

It was just put up that way so it wouldn't be on the floor when it wasn't being used.

A wireless SNES controller would have kicked rear end.

Fetus
Jul 13, 2001

Chill'n in my womb
They had wireless Genesis controllers. They go for hundreds today.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

nigga crab pollock posted:

the thing w rear projection is rthat you need to calibrate them occasionally especially if you like move em around and my dad has never done that. ever. theres clear color splitting and poo poo but whatever hes replaced it with a plasma tv now. ugh

i remember plauying mass effect when it came out and being wowed at the fidelity of sweaty alien rear end cheeks despite the blurry color separation

My folks have one of those in their home entertainment room. They had bought the TV when they moved in and haven't really watched two years after they had bought it, since they watch everything in the living room with their plasma screen.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
good news everyone

prices have been slashed and all TVs are still available if you're interested

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
man i wanna tune in to those savings!

HollywoodDialysis
Jan 19, 2005

not doing nothing
Grimey Drawer

Ein cooler Typ posted:

good news everyone

Ok now we're talking. I'll take the Magnavox.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I used to be the guy who would cart your old rear end tv to the pile of them out back of the electronics store. Lots of people saying "that still works you know" as if I'd want some giant cigarette ash covered coaxial only crt piece of poo poo in my apartment.

One night with about twenty minutes to closing I tipped one over with my handtruck right onto its screen. It bounced once and then exploded, it was loud as gently caress. I had to sweep up all its guts and thick rear end glass before I could go home. At least it wasn't new I guess.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

aren't there some people balls deep on the cock of retro gaming who use CRTs for a more "authentic experience?"

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I worked at a thrift store a few years back and the most fun (the only fun) I had was chucking CRTs screen first into the compactor so they exploded. One time someone donated a cast concrete cat statue and I threw it right through the tube of some lovely TV. It was rad.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Otisburg posted:

aren't there some people balls deep on the cock of retro gaming who use CRTs for a more "authentic experience?"

From page 1

Fredrik1 posted:

Using an emulator for retro gaming is just bad.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

if you look on C's list you can find people giving away CRTs for free

I have a few I use for my retro gaming collection

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHSdObeUdxI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBBTfsN60e0

It's the motherfucking future :chanpop:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Otisburg posted:

balls deep on the cock of

i think you got a bad thesaurus friend.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i think you got a bad thesaurus friend.

sorry my dick imagery gets away from me sometimes

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Aralan posted:

My friends dad bought one when I was a wee lad and we played NFS on PS1 on it and it was totally loving useless. Even when it was brand new, poo poo was so fuzzy you couldn't see the cars you were coming up on until you were 0.3 seconds from ramming into the back of them. Viewing angle was like 1 person, and it was dim as poo poo.

I mean, I guess if your definition of p awesome is "big but totally loving horrible looking" then they were p awesome. Other than that I'd rather have a 27" or 32" CRT.

e: to be clear, this is talking about horrible CRT rear projection in the 90s, not DLP or LCoS or whatever in the aughts that actually had redeeming qualities and didn't weigh 1200 pounds.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 22, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Transparent LCD displays have already started filtering into the commercial market place.

https://twitter.com/edwardsanchez/status/692170539121643521/video/1

Apparently, the price has dropped so that they moving out of flagship stores.

https://twitter.com/jeremybank/status/695726892721147904

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Young Freud posted:

Transparent LCD displays have already started filtering into the commercial market place.

They've been using them in slot machines for quite a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5y8ZmuZjm0

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

nigga crab pollock posted:

I got one as a hand me down, they really aren't that heavy, the cabinet is mostly empty with a little CRT projector inside. Calibrating colors on mine was just a matter of pushing a button and really would only need to be done if something might happen to have jiggled the lenses (ie; moved it from the wall to plug something in)

Was fine in the basement for stepkids and the like to play their Wii games and watch lovely kid spy movies.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Ein cooler Typ posted:

good news everyone

Jackie knows how to market, look at the SAVINGS!

She should have used red pen though, at these prices she must be putting herself in the red!

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
$10 for the 13" is not that bad. If I still had my NES I would go for that.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

If it's not a WEGA or something of actual distinction from the CRT era, the appropriate price is "Thanks for hauling it away."

When the red on my old rear projection HDTV (Yeah, spent a grand on that a year or two before LCDs got big and cheap :smith: ) went permanently out of alignment, I just put it up on CL free to good home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FrankieGoes posted:

They've been using them in slot machines for quite a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5y8ZmuZjm0

That was a little bit confusing, because I had thought the reels were virtual. It took another video at a different point of view to actually show that transparent LCD display in action. From what Google is telling me, a color transparent LCD display capable of video motion at around 31" diagonial is something like $2K-$4K.

• Locked thread