Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Remember when Scott Keith made some snide post about El Dandy being the shittiest worker on Nitro or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Alain Post posted:

Remember when Scott Keith made some snide post about El Dandy being the shittiest worker on Nitro or something

Professional fat jealousy rearing it's ugly head.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Alain Post posted:

Who is he to doubt El Dandy?!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

TheHoosier posted:

Who is he to doubt El Dandy?!

No one should ever bash Bret's promo skills https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZe6LvqQaVk

A groin pull the likes you've never seen in your life

bartok
May 10, 2006

I bet Bret Hart and El Dandy would have put on one helluva match.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

triplexpac posted:

No one should ever bash Bret's promo skills...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxCDDlSw9-A

"If you don't like it, tough poo poo!"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Arbite posted:

This promo will forever remind me of when Foochs lost it the night after HiaC last year

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

What was the economic reasoning behind WCW having all that awesome Mexican talent, (La Parka, El Dandy, Juvi, Psychosis etc), and not using them?

I mean they did get the LWO, and Eddie, Rey, and Juvi got the odd storyline. But apart from that the rest of them were completely wasted. It can't have been cheap to employ all those people, nor could it have been easy and simple to get and keep the work permits visas etc.

Was Bischoff trying to gently caress over CMLL or AAA by stealing their talent so they couldn't use them? Was Russo that racist that he didn't want to use the people who were putting on awesome midcard matches when they got the chance? (I'm voting yes).

I ask this because WCW did hire a lot of people and then have them do nothing, (Lanny Poffo), so was it a just a good deal for the Mexican Cruiserweights to just get paid fro doing very little.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

What was the economic reasoning behind WCW having all that awesome Mexican talent, (La Parka, El Dandy, Juvi, Psychosis etc), and not using them?

I mean they did get the LWO, and Eddie, Rey, and Juvi got the odd storyline. But apart from that the rest of them were completely wasted. It can't have been cheap to employ all those people, nor could it have been easy and simple to get and keep the work permits visas etc.

Was Bischoff trying to gently caress over CMLL or AAA by stealing their talent so they couldn't use them? Was Russo that racist that he didn't want to use the people who were putting on awesome midcard matches when they got the chance? (I'm voting yes).

I ask this because WCW did hire a lot of people and then have them do nothing, (Lanny Poffo), so was it a just a good deal for the Mexican Cruiserweights to just get paid fro doing very little.

WCW wanted any and all talent and were willing to spend on them because they had Ted Turner money. Bischoff wanted a war with WWF, and wanted to bury WWF into the ground, so that included signing the best international talent so that they could put on the most exciting show they possibly could.

Of course, signing the best international talent didn't mean they saw them as possible moneymakers to an American audience, but rather an exciting act between the stars appearing (as the midcard tends to be used). You may recall Rey Mysterio sold approximately eight trillion masks for WWE. Bischoff didn't think lucha masks were marketable.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

They signed them because Bischoff wanted to have a really talented roster and they worked relatively cheaply, so he could just bring in whoever Sullivan or Konnan thought he should. He didn't use them much because he usually saw more in white performers.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't think Bischoff was really concerned about AAA or CMLL as competitors, although it did become a major bone of contention when the Mexican talent could no longer work dates in Mexico in addition to their WCW dates.

Despite being high on his own poo poo (not to mention huffing Nash and Hogan's), Bischoff was aware on some level that he needed better workers to warm up the crowd for the guys WCW was putting in the main event.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't think Bischoff was really concerned about AAA or CMLL as competitors, although it did become a major bone of contention when the Mexican talent could no longer work dates in Mexico in addition to their WCW dates.

Despite being high on his own poo poo (not to mention huffing Nash and Hogan's), Bischoff was aware on some level that he needed better workers to warm up the crowd for the guys WCW was putting in the main event.

He was in certain ways. He did want to promote his own lucha PPVs and that was one of the factors that hurt the relationship between WCW and Promo Azteca.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
It's also that Rey/Juvi/Psychosis were getting over in ECW, which was a good way to get yourself some Turner money.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Arbite posted:

Psycho Sid: "I don't know poo poo!" :shobon:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is it really true that Turner censors wouldn't let them use the term "foreign object" because the term "foreign" was bigoted in another context, so they used the term "international object?" That's a joke I've been hearing since I was a kid; can't think of any examples where it happened. I do remember the phrase "illegal object" being used on a Nitro.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Halloween Jack posted:

Is it really true that Turner censors wouldn't let them use the term "foreign object" because the term "foreign" was bigoted in another context, so they used the term "international object?" That's a joke I've been hearing since I was a kid; can't think of any examples where it happened. I do remember the phrase "illegal object" being used on a Nitro.

It was a Turner thing across the board, not just WCW
http://www.cfr.org/international-organizations-and-alliances/hbo-history-makers-conversation-ted-turner/p34750

quote:

TURNER: I'm not demanding like I did the last time I was here. Several years ago I was here and I said -- because we banned the word "foreign" at CNN to describe other countries in the world.

I see a world of neighbors, not a world of foreigners. That made good sense a hundred years ago, because we were a world of foreigners. People didn't go around the world. You couldn't fly. It took you a lifetime to go around the world, and you can do it now in 24 hours.

But I suggested that you change your name -- it's a big deal -- to the Council of International Relations, rather than Foreign Relations. I'll just let you think about it again, because maybe someday you'll do it. (Laughter.) But -- because it would be a lot more appropriate.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

ted turner owns

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Ostentatious posted:

ted turner owns

not WCW

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

pathetic little tramp posted:

From the Jan 29, 96 episode of Raw:

Apparently, even though the billionaire Ted vignettes were terrible, the WCW was threatening some legal recourse because in one of them the "Huckster" argued with Billionaire Ted over steroid testing.

I would pay good money to hear vince read this out loud. I'm sure its happened and i bet it was beautiful.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I decided the world needed another bad podcast. Naitch and I are going to document the death of WCW. We should write a book too

https://soundcloud.com/user-86871184/the-internet-position-episode-1

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

I decided the world needed another bad podcast. Naitch and I are going to document the death of WCW. We should write a book too

I want to be the first guest

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oatgan posted:

You gon' get bumped for Kevin Nash

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

MassRafTer posted:

this is the christmas present i didn't know i wanted

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

This is the best Nashmas ever

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The Lapsed Fan podcast is doing a weekly retrospective of every Starrcade as well, if you want your Crockett/WCW fix. Some people aren't super into their show, but I like the Vince/Dusty/Barnett impressions and Meltzer contributes to the show.

https://soundcloud.com/thelapsedfan/memorial-tour-the-national-wrestling-alliance-and-jim-crockett-promotions-present-starcade-1983

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

oatgan posted:

same

for real let me be on the podcast I promise to contribute nothing except a good podcast voice

E: i have a yeti mic and I can skype in let's do it

titties fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 25, 2015

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I can make real convincing fart noises with my mouth.

This is on every resume I submit.

The secret is that I'm actually farting with my butt.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

I can make real convincing fart noises with my mouth.

This is on every resume I submit.

The secret is that I'm actually farting with my butt.

To be fair when you talk out your rear end there isn't much difference.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

Ok but only because I want to talk about Cop Rock too.

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

1st AD posted:

The Lapsed Fan podcast is doing a weekly retrospective of every Starrcade as well, if you want your Crockett/WCW fix. Some people aren't super into their show, but I like the Vince/Dusty/Barnett impressions and Meltzer contributes to the show.

https://soundcloud.com/thelapsedfan/memorial-tour-the-national-wrestling-alliance-and-jim-crockett-promotions-present-starcade-1983

I like the historical look and Meltz chat, but those impressions are about 1% as funny as they think they are.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Benne posted:

Was Bischoff drunk when he did his "nWo takes over the announcing booth" spots?

I just watched the episode where Masahiro Chono turned on Sunny Ono and joined the nWo. Bischoff called him "Masa My Hero" about 50 times and did the worst Japanese accent you've ever heard.

I also wonder if those announce desk invasions were pre-planned, because Tony and Tenay looked legit pissed every time it happened.

I"m doing the whole chronological rewatch thing and got to Souled Out '97 and he keeps calling him "Masa Our Hero" so I think that's just something he thinks is funny.

Good lord is Souled Out bad. Like, I had heard it wasn't any good, but I wasn't prepared for the level of complete gimmick killing bullshit that we got here. I was already tired of the NWO because there are already a ton of jobbers in it, but this was just trash.

The worst part is that I know I have another year plus of lovely DQ finishes involving Hulk Hogan to sit through.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Hey dude, a brother's gotta keep his heat.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Hogan was doing lovely finishes literally up through his departure from the company.

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

Swagger Dagger posted:

I"m doing the whole chronological rewatch thing and got to Souled Out '97 and he keeps calling him "Masa Our Hero" so I think that's just something he thinks is funny.

I haven't decided whether that, or Zbysko's constant "New World ODOR" was more annoying.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

A Dapper Man posted:

I haven't decided whether that, or Zbysko's constant "New World ODOR" was more annoying.

I always hated DDP's "Hollywood SCUM Hogan" myself.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Swagger Dagger posted:

Good lord is Souled Out bad. Like, I had heard it wasn't any good, but I wasn't prepared for the level of complete gimmick killing bullshit that we got here. I was already tired of the NWO because there are already a ton of jobbers in it, but this was just trash.

The worst part is that I know I have another year plus of lovely DQ finishes involving Hulk Hogan to sit through.
Souled Out nwo edition was the essence of Bischoff high off the smell of his own farts

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

fart blood posted:

I always hated DDP's "Hollywood SCUM Hogan" myself.
What about "Bret 'The Hitscum' Hart?" That was much worse, because any Bret-haters watching Nitro had already been calling him Butt The Shitman Fart for years.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Benne posted:

Was Bischoff drunk when he did his "nWo takes over the announcing booth" spots?

I just watched the episode where Masahiro Chono turned on Sunny Ono and joined the nWo. Bischoff called him "Masa My Hero" about 50 times and did the worst Japanese accent you've ever heard.

I also wonder if those announce desk invasions were pre-planned, because Tony and Tenay looked legit pissed every time it happened.

Bischoff used to hide all kinds of stuff from the announce table, which pissed them off to no end and also resulted in them inadvertently messing up storylines on occasion due to not knowing what they were supposed to be doing at any given moment. So he may have just never bothered to tell them.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Halloween Jack posted:

What about "Bret 'The Hitscum' Hart?" That was much worse, because any Bret-haters watching Nitro had already been calling him Butt The Shitman Fart for years.

DDP asked his fan club to come up with a name to call Bret. They gave him "The Accident of Evolution" and he just called him "Hitscum"

It's possible I'm entirely too charmed by "The Accident of Evolution", though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Wouldn't, say, "Excrement of Evolution" have been closer to the source?