Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ryoshi posted:

Yeah. I've played the poo poo out of most SMT games and loved them, but this is a whole other level of completely arbitrary. Plus the SMT games are backed by a very strategic battle system, whereas in YKW your monsters are basically on autopilot until you fill their soul meters and command them to use an ultimate attack (which you charge up by doing one of three little touchscreen mini games). There seems to be some strategy in your team arrangement and stuff but unless you run from battles all the time your dudes are so buff just from random grinding while looking for rare Yo-Kai that nothing is really a threat.

Plus the rarity of some of the dudes can't be overstated - there are some monsters I have seen ONCE.

The other issue is this: you can't target a specific enemy with an item to try to entice them to stay until the battle is already underway. You can toss an item before the battle starts but it goes to a random enemy. If you want to be sure to throw it at the ultra rare guy and not the dumb ninja you have six copies of already you need to start the battle and target the correct guy with the touchscreen, THEN throw an item at it. But if your monsters are too strong/fast they'll burn down the enemy you target almost instantly and you won't get to toss anything at all.

Sounds like a poo poo game friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The new update for Minecraft on PS4 seems to have a bug where any chickens I spawn through breeding or eggs despawn when I walk away, making a reliable source of arrows impossible.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I really hated the artificial height limit applied to the helicopter and how it would take away all control away from you and spiral you downwards.

Don't give me a helicopter if I can abuse it.

I swear the bail out button in Far Cry 4 is different to every other 3rd person game with vehicles. I was always jumping out of that drat thing accidentally.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Brain In A Jar posted:

I'm way behind the times and just started playing Saint's Row 3, and I'm not sure I'm really on board with the whole thing of using Activities as story missions. As in, a mobile phone call, followed by driving to the mission marker and the game just launching you into an activity you've already had a story mission tutorial on.

On the one hand I get that GTA clone story missions are usually pretty bland, and I appreciate the honesty. But on the other hand, devs, come the gently caress on, guys.

If you go OCD and do all the activities before they come up in the story it's odd. You're just triggering cut scenes one after another.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Solar Eclipse events are starting to annoy me in Terraria, because my house isn't floating 50 meters in the sky, it's under constant attack by Reapers who fly through the walls during the event, the rest of the monsters just leap around outside, since they can't get in, but the Reapers can, and they will quickly kill any NPC's they come near.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sleeveless posted:

It also requires you to create an account with them to even play the game, which is complete bullshit and one of the quickest and easiest ways to know a game isn't worth playing.

I agree, Half-Life 2 wasn't worth it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

John Murdoch posted:

I agree, Half-Life 2 wasn't worth it.

This is not as good of a zinger as you think it is considering Steam is actually useful.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

This is not as good of a zinger as you think it is considering Steam is actually useful.

These aren't comparable because steam right now is nothing like it was when half life 2 released 11 years ago. Whether you need an account or not has nothing to do with how intrinsically good a game itself is.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

RyokoTK posted:

You can't really compare the current Steam to the one in the first couple of years of it's existence.
e ;f,b!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ryoshi posted:

The new update for Minecraft on PS4 seems to have a bug where any chickens I spawn through breeding or eggs despawn when I walk away, making a reliable source of arrows impossible.

Jeez. Quoting myself here because as I keep playing the update I keep finding more and more ridiculous bugs. How the gently caress did this update get out the door?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mierenneuker posted:

You can't really compare the current Steam to the one in the first couple of years of it's existence.
e ;f,b!

Even back then it was an actual content delivery system/platform and not a completely arbitrary roadblock done for marketing purposes.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Judge Tesla posted:

Solar Eclipse events are starting to annoy me in Terraria, because my house isn't floating 50 meters in the sky, it's under constant attack by Reapers who fly through the walls during the event, the rest of the monsters just leap around outside, since they can't get in, but the Reapers can, and they will quickly kill any NPC's they come near.

The gunsmith, cyborg and a few others are pretty good at juggling Reapers. Even if they take 10 minutes to kill them, they'll at least survive the attack. I usually have three good shooters at ground level with the large gate doors between their 'rooms' so they all can fire on anything that comes through the walls.

E: Dye Trader can juggle almost any amount of reapers by himself

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sleeveless posted:

It also requires you to create an account with them to even play the game, which is complete bullshit and one of the quickest and easiest ways to know a game isn't worth playing.

Isn't it an MMO? I thought that was how MMOs worked.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Sleeveless, do you not know what MMOs are?

He covered that with "not worth playing"

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm mostly just baffled that this particular random game on Steam has people flipping out about needing to make an account, as if it's a totally new and inexplicable thing.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
What about battle.net? That's basically the same thing. Especially in the D2 days.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

RagnarokAngel posted:

What about battle.net? That's basically the same thing. Especially in the D2 days.

In D2 you didn't need to create a battle.net account to play single player. And Sword Coast is basically Dragon Age: Origins with a lower budget, an actual D&D license, and a separate multiplayer mode which makes it demanding you register even more pointless than a game as integrated as Diablo 2.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Morglon posted:

So Sword Coast Legends is free on Steam this weekend and I figure I'd give it a shot. Make my account, make a character, not really entirely D&D but whatever, get into the game and there's this weird fog of war effect that's purple and ripples all over the place and after a minute and two fights I have to shut the game off because that effect combined with camera movement made me physically ill. Can't really say if the game has any merit to it but it's pretty bad when it literally assaults your senses to the point of almost making you throw up.

The game has a 51% score on Steam, I honestly wouldn't even bother trying it for free.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Eh, people on steam will downvote a game for not having enough female characters, or for having too many, or because they heard the ending is bad.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Maybe. In this case, judging from the reviews I guess people were expecting a proper D&D game and they basically got a single-player MMO, which is why they're perhaps being harsher than they normally would be.

I'd never even heard of this game but apparently quite a few people had high hopes of it being a latter-day Baldur's Gate.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

2house2fly posted:

Eh, people on steam will downvote a game for not having enough female characters, or for having too many, or because they heard the ending is bad.

True. It also has a 61% ON Metacritic and on Gamerankings though, so it seems like critics are sharing that opinion.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Oh yeah, I haven't heard of this game before but having Sword Coast in the title creates an expectation for how it's going to play, and if it doesn't play like that then how it does play had better be good.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Judge Tesla posted:

I kind of rage-quit the game after getting mythril level stuff. Not because it was stupidly hard to kill those bonus bosses (although it was), but because of the hollow and the crimson. Seriously, game, you couldn't find some way to explain to me that those are infectious? I am really not into digging giant isolation trenches around half the map just to keep some uninfected land. If you told me at the start, at least I could have kept them contained.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Oh yeah, I haven't heard of this game before but having Sword Coast in the title creates an expectation for how it's going to play, and if it doesn't play like that then how it does play had better be good.

Is Sword Coast a thing? I can only picture a really pointy beach.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Lizard Wizard posted:

Is Sword Coast a thing? I can only picture a really pointy beach.

It's a region of the world in the DnD setting of the Forgotten Realms. It was the setting of Baldur's Gate, so there's some expectation attached.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If Neverwinter Nights is any indication, it's called that because there are so many of the things lying around, and they're all magic and legendary.

It's also the most generic medieval fantasy setting possible. I'm sick to death of the place. Setting a game there guarantees I'll never play it. I can only talk to so many haughty wizards, noble paladins and cunning rogues before I snap. Mask of the Betrayer immediately got a hundred times more interesting for being not set at the goddamn Sword Coast. Basically I'm Bugs Bunny in that Florida gif.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Domus posted:

I kind of rage-quit the game after getting mythril level stuff. Not because it was stupidly hard to kill those bonus bosses (although it was), but because of the hollow and the crimson. Seriously, game, you couldn't find some way to explain to me that those are infectious? I am really not into digging giant isolation trenches around half the map just to keep some uninfected land. If you told me at the start, at least I could have kept them contained.

Mine three blocks of dirt on one side and put something incorruptable like granite down. Boom, they can't spread anymore.

Wait, that'd only save the top of the world. You have a good point, my bad.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

RareAcumen posted:

Mine three blocks of dirt on one side and put something incorruptable like granite down. Boom, they can't spread anymore.

Wait, that'd only save the top of the world. You have a good point, my bad.

I think the spread speed of the Hallow/Crimson and Corruption is decreased by a lot when you kill all the Mechanical Bosses, but for people without Hardmode endgame gear, that's quite a task.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

My Lovely Horse posted:

If Neverwinter Nights is any indication, it's called that because there are so many of the things lying around, and they're all magic and legendary.

It's also the most generic medieval fantasy setting possible. I'm sick to death of the place. Setting a game there guarantees I'll never play it. I can only talk to so many haughty wizards, noble paladins and cunning rogues before I snap. Mask of the Betrayer immediately got a hundred times more interesting for being not set at the goddamn Sword Coast. Basically I'm Bugs Bunny in that Florida gif.

Here's the ironic thing about the Sword Coast's popularity in the context of DnD: it's not the most generic medieval fantasy setting, it was picked for Baldur's Gate to be somewhere fresh and different from the bearer of that particular standard in the Forgotten Realms setting. The Dalelands had been the default DnD setting up until Baldur's Gate and are even more generic and boring. Baldur's Gate went with the Sword Coast because it was fresh and different from the normal DnD setting fare, and when the game exploded in popularity the Sword Coast kinda became the new generic default.

Also, BG2 ignored a lot of the more unique things about Amn. In DnD, it's Spain in the 16th century complete with conquistadores conquering the far-off New World, treasure fleets full of new and exotic goods, massive tensions with the Muslims orcs to the south that once ruled a large part of the nation, a fairly oppressed but tough and surviving halfling population in the east that were once an independent kingdom, and so on and so forth.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fallout 4 has a few parts where you have a large number of NPC allies vs a large number of enemies and these scenes just do not work due to the facts that 1) Damaging any of your friends makes them suddenly go hostile on you the moment the event is over, and 2) They are idiots and want to run up to the enemies to slap them for some reason instead of using their considerably more powerful guns, making it extremely hard not to do this at some point, especially because I maxed out the explosives skill so I want to use my homing rocket launcher and grenades. It also means you can't use the minuteman artillery in these scenes even though it would be absolutely perfect for them, because your dumbass friends will run straight into the signal smoke and blame it on you when they get shelled.

I had to redo the defense of the robots on the USS constitution about five times and the defense of the minuteman castle against the institute three times before I could finally get through them without accidentally pissing everyone off due to their own stupidity. Also, the minuteman castle defense is very badly designed because the institute enemies will sometimes teleport inside the walls, making your missile turrets gently caress out and start exploding your own settlers as they furiously run up to the enemies to slap them even though they could just use their guns. After I stuck exclusively to my underpowered ineffectual automatic guns for an attempt and the settlers still got mad since I guess a stray bullet hit one of them for 2 damage, I just said gently caress it and did the next attempt entirely with my rocket launcher. Even though they still ran up to the enemies and got hit by me, they did not get mad that time. What.

Keep fighting the good fight, guys. You are not making collateral damage hard to avoid at all.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Fallout 4 has a few parts where you have a large number of NPC allies vs a large number of enemies and these scenes just do not work due to the facts that 1) Damaging any of your friends makes them suddenly go hostile on you the moment the event is over, and 2) They are idiots and want to run up to the enemies to slap them for some reason instead of using their considerably more powerful guns, making it extremely hard not to do this at some point, especially because I maxed out the explosives skill so I want to use my homing rocket launcher and grenades. It also means you can't use the minuteman artillery in these scenes even though it would be absolutely perfect for them, because your dumbass friends will run straight into the signal smoke and blame it on you when they get shelled.

Between this and some of the other complaints in this thread, I gather that Bethesda has learned basically nothing at all in the past few years.

It's a pity because I was stoked for Fallout 4, but I think I'll wait until it goes on sale in about a year or so.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Playing Dead Rising 2: Off The Record and the tweaks they've made to the AI are awful and unfun. Instead of being the autonomous killing machines they were in DR2 the survivors once again need to be babysat and rescued from zombies like the first game and the enemies are much more aggressive so you'll have looters chasing you down from the other side of the mall while in DR2 you had to actually go into the same store as them to draw their attention.

Phlegmish posted:

Between this and some of the other complaints in this thread, I gather that Bethesda has learned basically nothing at all in the past few years.

It's a pity because I was stoked for Fallout 4, but I think I'll wait until it goes on sale in about a year or so.

Morrowind sold 4 million copies while Skyrim sold over 20 million and then Fallout 4 sold 12 million copies in its first day, they've learned that the overwhelming majority of people love what they've been doing and want more of it.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Got Arkham Knight and I think it's fantastic. For the most part, I can't see why everyone is so upset about the vehicle parts - The Batmobile is a bit floaty but very easy to control and throw around corners. I like it.

That said, what was the point of making you chase that Firefly guy? Those missions boil down to go to fire department -> chase flying lunatic around streets while he throws molotovs and wait for him to run out of fuel ->punch him then let him get away... 3 times. It was boring.

There is a section where you fight the Arkham Knight underground, while he is in a big mining drill vehicle. You have to lead him to explosive filled tunnels. Fine, but every corner is 90 degrees and taking a turn blind to find yourself flinging yourself ito an insta-death collision is bullshit.

The Riddler race tracks are kind of annoying, I guess, but the mechanic is interesting enough that I don't mind all that much.

The Arkham Knight "twist" I saw coming the instant a certain character turned up.

Also, Guild Wars 2 in regards to the jumping puzzles can go suck a rucksack full of dicks. Especially the christmas themed ones they have now. I can now navigate those drat snowflakes (timed, so they "melt" a certain amount of time after you've begun) with enough speed to get to the fire (because anytime you're out way from a fire you lose health at a steady rate, so even if you are ahead of the melt timer, take too long and you freeze to death) in my sleep, but the loving presents I never make the jump. After 200 attempts I actually got in the presents 3 times, and of those 3 times, got through them once, only to get hit by a giant snowball afterwards and instakilled.

I'm a pretty calm guy, but that made me actually throw my mouse.

Stupid thing is, I don't give a gently caress about Guild Wars 2, I was trying to do it for my wife who doesn't play many games and was trying to do some christmas themed challenge thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm doing a second playthrough of MGS 5 and my god the helicopter rides and stupid intro credits for every mission are driving me crazy. I have probably spent a cumulative hour riding in the chopper since starting this playthrough. Why there isn't a button to just skip it and why the "return to ACC" button doesn't save the game is beyond me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CJacobs posted:

I'm doing a second playthrough of MGS 5 and my god the helicopter rides and stupid intro credits for every mission are driving me crazy. I have probably spent a cumulative hour riding in the chopper since starting this playthrough. Why there isn't a button to just skip it and why the "return to ACC" button doesn't save the game is beyond me.

I'm pretty sure you can skip those by being in the field to start the mission.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

Morrowind sold 4 million copies while Skyrim sold over 20 million and then Fallout 4 sold 12 million copies in its first day, they've learned that the overwhelming majority of people love what they've been doing and want more of it.

I have no doubt that it's a good game and that I'll have fun playing it, it's just that they never seem to do anything about the things dragging their games down. It's not some elitist goon complaint either, companions constantly getting in your way and turning on you at the drop of a hat is not something that should exist in a game from 2015.

That said, I haven't played it myself yet, so who knows, might be an exaggeration.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Sleeveless posted:

And van Gogh never sold a painting while alive right? Popularity has never been nor will ever be a measurement for quality.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Namarrgon posted:

And van Gogh never sold a painting while alive right? Popularity has never been nor will ever be a measurement for quality.

It's not an argument of quality, it's people expressing indignation that Bethesda isn't changing their formula when said formula is only getting them larger and larger and sales figures so from a business perspective they have zero reason to change it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
EDIT: ^^ Pretty much every complaint I've both seen and had about Fallout 4 is a problem specific TO Fallout 4.

Phlegmish posted:

I have no doubt that it's a good game and that I'll have fun playing it, it's just that they never seem to do anything about the things dragging their games down. It's not some elitist goon complaint either, companions constantly getting in your way and turning on you at the drop of a hat is not something that should exist in a game from 2015.

That said, I haven't played it myself yet, so who knows, might be an exaggeration.

I've said this a few times in a few places, but Bethesda have such a big pull because they're the only people making what they make. To that end, it doesn't matter how bad they are at delivering that sort of game with plain old design choices, nor does it entirely matter how good they are at the actual nuts and bolts of making a game. It's a cornered market, only in the past year did other companies actually start trying to compete with them. And even then, there's only like two other open world RPGs, and they don't push as hard on the personal character defining as Bethesda does. Even in Fallout 4, where they're not even trying.

Fallout 4 is by far the worst of any installment, of either of their series, at actually being a Bethesda game. But only this year did they even have any sort of competition in that field whatsoever, and to some people (like me, hi) it's still not even a contest because of the direction that competition approached things from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

muscles like this? posted:

I'm pretty sure you can skip those by being in the field to start the mission.

You can, but then you have to physically travel there which takes much longer unless you're like right on top of the place. Also doesn't work when you want to transfer between regions.

edit: The fact that Bethesda appears to not have even tried to squash bugs in Fallout 4 is really really annoying and it should be viewed with a much more critical eye than "well that's a Bethesda game for you ha ha" imo. In several areas the game is a broken mess and sometimes in ways that would be extremely obvious with even a few minutes of playtesting (Macready giving you permanent 95% chance to headshot at any range, distance, vantage for example), and that's really totally inexcusable in 2015.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 23:45 on Dec 20, 2015