Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Hey, Freiherr von Bowenholdt has been craft oversized novelty bows for the great houses of Europe for 800 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

SpacePig posted:

I can't wait for Star Wars to finally be out so that maybe every last thing advertised on TV doesn't have it somehow forcibly tied into it.

I've always wondered, when something like Star Wars is shoe horned into a commercials to sell a completely unrelated product, which party is footing the bill to have the commercial made and have it air?

Do they go 50/50 or does some company beg Disney to let them use Star Wars so people might actually give a poo poo?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Vakal posted:

I've always wondered, when something like Star Wars is shoe horned into a commercials to sell a completely unrelated product, which party is footing the bill to have the commercial made and have it air?

Do they go 50/50 or does some company beg Disney to let them use Star Wars so people might actually give a poo poo?

Depends on the property I think. As I recall, all of the Smurfs tie in stuff (like Happy Meal toys and the like) actually paid for all of the costs of the movie before it even came out.

For Star Wars, one goon was saying how when they worked at a movie theater, the theater would actually pay the distributor ticket price + 5bux for the privilege of showing the movie (I think this was TPM), so I imagine Disney probably gets paid for the merchandising rights.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The Star Wars car commercial is one of the legit most clever ads I've seen in years, I gotta say.

I also have no idea what car company it's for and I've seen it multiple times.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I wonder how much money and time goes into advertising movies in this culture. It's bizarre. We have commercials in commercials. Branding on top of branding.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

skooma512 posted:

I wonder how much money and time goes into advertising movies in this culture. It's bizarre. We have commercials in commercials. Branding on top of branding.

There was a commercial I saw like 20 years ago and only saw once that had so many layers I don't even know who the commercial was for.

GE built the engines on the Boeing airliner that FedEx used to fly the lobster that you bought at Red Lobster. The ultimate commercial.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Sash! posted:

There was a commercial I saw like 20 years ago and only saw once that had so many layers I don't even know who the commercial was for.

GE built the engines on the Boeing airliner that FedEx used to fly the lobster that you bought at Red Lobster. The ultimate commercial.

Similar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLmMh4DYQC4
Old Spice breaking into a commercial for laundry detergent.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

CapnAndy posted:

That's not an ad, that's a road safety guy being cute in the hopes that his joke will get you to pay attention.

It would not surprise me in the slightest to learn that Disney's ad campaign for Star Wars includes state departments of transportation

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Peanut President posted:

Similar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLmMh4DYQC4
Old Spice breaking into a commercial for laundry detergent.

I forgot about that commercial.

Probably both made by Unilever. Unilever makes all the soap for all soaping purposes. They are probably owned by some shadowy cabal that invented soap and worships the bar of Ur-Soap from which all soap descends.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Geico has done ads where all of a sudden the gecko will start shilling another brand.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Geico has done ads where all of a sudden the gecko will start shilling another brand.

Yeah there was one recently for like Helzberg diamonds of all things :psyduck:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Sash! posted:

Probably both made by Unilever. Unilever makes all the soap for all soaping purposes. They are probably owned by some shadowy cabal that invented soap and worships the bar of Ur-Soap from which all soap descends.

Like how they simultaneously market Dove as "yay women! you are all pretty" and Axe "YEAH BRO SMELL YOURSELF UP TO GET CHICKS"

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Sash! posted:

I forgot about that commercial.

Old Spice and Bounce are Proctor & Gamble brands.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Accidental post.

Double edit: \/ sure wasn't, sorry!

Grassy Knowles fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 15, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Was it really necessary to emptyquote that? It's not as though anyone couldn't read it the first time.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ElwoodCuse posted:

It would not surprise me in the slightest to learn that Disney's ad campaign for Star Wars includes state departments of transportation
Would it surprise you if it's exactly what I said it was and sometimes people just use pop culture without being paid to do so

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pajamagram is all over the radio, and OK, sure, I can see how it might be a good gift idea, but all of the reads include this curious line of "a dedicated team of pajama experts", which... what? :psyduck:

Also gently caress off Sherriessssss Berriessssss with your spokeswoman who can't stop hissing the hell out of her Ss

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

DJExile posted:

Pajamagram is all over the radio, and OK, sure, I can see how it might be a good gift idea, but all of the reads include this curious line of "a dedicated team of pajama experts", which... what? :psyduck:

I want to believe they're trying to be cute and "wacky", but these types of things really do seem to get by on people thinking that there's some sort of curator behind it all.

DJExile posted:

Also gently caress off Sherriessssss Berriessssss with your spokeswoman who can't stop hissing the hell out of her Ss

This is the only Shari's Berries you'll ever need.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl5JDzvkEA0

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ElwoodCuse posted:

Like how they simultaneously market Dove as "yay women! you are all pretty" and Axe "YEAH BRO SMELL YOURSELF UP TO GET CHICKS"

Classic example of market segmentation. A nice side effect of this is that sometimes the equivalent product is much cheaper than the one you're "supposed" to get, so as long as you don't mind floral designs you can save a bunch of money on an identical product.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
I can't find a Good Ads thread, if one even exists, so I'll drop this here.

I don't hate this ad, I love it. Mainly for the choice of music. It plays twice because it's that awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDdjsz585nU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

SpacePig posted:

I want to believe they're trying to be cute and "wacky", but these types of things really do seem to get by on people thinking that there's some sort of curator behind it all.

This is the only Shari's Berries you'll ever need.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl5JDzvkEA0

God , the way Bill Burr reads his ads is downright hilarious. He just does not give a gently caress at all. Sherrie's Berries is still advertising with him too.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

TontoCorazon posted:

God , the way Bill Burr reads his ads is downright hilarious. He just does not give a gently caress at all. Sherrie's Berries is still advertising with him too.

Yeah, Burr was obviously having none of it. The best "not giving a poo poo" podcast ad, though, is still Norm with the Man Grate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnjQKZpmRC0

For an ad that I hate, there's one currently playing on a local radio station for a place called Ollie's. It's a commercial of people who can't really sing, singing "Have a jolly Ollie's Christmas". That's bad enough as it is, but it also has the most off-putting attempt at harmonizing I've ever heard. I wish I could describe it well on here, or even find it online somewhere, but I can't find anything but TV commercials online.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SpacePig posted:

Yeah, Burr was obviously having none of it. The best "not giving a poo poo" podcast ad, though, is still Norm with the Man Grate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnjQKZpmRC0

"The Man Grate is the perfect gift for Dad this Father's Day. Your dad's alive?"

"No."

"gently caress!"

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

SpacePig posted:

For an ad that I hate, there's one currently playing on a local radio station for a place called Ollie's. It's a commercial of people who can't really sing, singing "Have a jolly Ollie's Christmas". That's bad enough as it is, but it also has the most off-putting attempt at harmonizing I've ever heard. I wish I could describe it well on here, or even find it online somewhere, but I can't find anything but TV commercials online.

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen these ads, Santa Ollie is kind of terrifying.

I'm tempted to record the radio to get that jingle, they're a weird mix of charming and just awful. OLLIE DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

DJExile posted:

Last year my GF worked for them (well, technically she worked for Vermont Teddy Bear, but same company) part time in their call center, and yeah, "Pajama Experts" is stretching it.

She had, like, a two hour training session or something to get "Certified" to sell pajamas.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think you can probably learn the sum total of humanity's knowledge of pyjamas in two hours. I mean, it's loving pyjamas, not nuclear physics.

EDIT: On another note: what the gently caress is up with these fragrance ads? Some of them are so strange it makes Un Chien Andalou look quite normal.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

I think you can probably learn the sum total of humanity's knowledge of pyjamas in two hours. I mean, it's loving pyjamas, not nuclear physics.

EDIT: On another note: what the gently caress is up with these fragrance ads? Some of them are so strange it makes Un Chien Andalou look quite normal.

https://youtu.be/l-CtKIo7olM

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

?????
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMLV1xNOrfI

I'm kind of curious which one came first now, since Booker's had it since WCW.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Peanut President posted:

It's from a royalty-free stock music library.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Peanut President posted:

?????
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMLV1xNOrfI

Its some kernkraft production that ended up in a stock music library

edit: the actual answer is "its a tie", since KITH made it in Fall '93, and as far as I can remember, Harlem Heat has always had always used the song since their debut in Late Summer/Fall '93.

I should go find the one time that Booker couldn't use it because he lost the use of all Harlem Heat IP after Stevie Ray somehow won it and started teaming with Big T.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 19, 2015

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
If Tom Shane ever calls me and asks what I'm getting my lady for Christmas, I'm telling him that I got her a dildo. I hate the current Tom Shane radio ad campaign. Radio ads suck, anyway.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

PT6A posted:

Why the gently caress do you spell pajamas so weird you loon

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

BlackJosh posted:

Why the gently caress do you spell pajamas so weird you loon

We're the outliers that spell pajamas the way we do. It's pyjamas in every other English-speaking country.

This confused me as a kid when I saw Bananas in Pyjamas.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The boy in the striped pyjamas movie title always tripped me up

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

American English is a loving abomination.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Do you Americas also pronounce "pyjamas" wrong or do you merely spell it incorrectly?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

PT6A posted:

Do you Americas also pronounce "pyjamas" wrong or do you merely spell it incorrectly?

Wait, let me go change my tyre.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Don't worry mom, I'll just hack the internet. :smug:

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions
Seriously, gently caress whoever came up with the Geico Peter Pan commercial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

carry on then posted:

American English is a loving abomination.

Yeah, we're the ones that made it an abomination, not the group that decided "-ough" is somehow "-ow;" crammed a silent u into everything that ends with "-or;" and gave the world "masheen," "kernal," and "Wensday."

Oh wait sorry I mean machine, colonel, and Wednesday.