Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yes they are quite fluffy little dinosaurs. My four new girls are finally gaining acceptance from Strawberry. She doesn't attack them on sight anymore only when they try to eat food... Which is hers it's all hers everyone else can go die. That took 3 months.

Also here are the idiots hanging out from a few weeks ago.

Holy poo poo, who is the psychodino down in front?

the escape goat, welcome to chickens. You have experienced the fluffycuddley and are DOOMED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychotic
Dec 25, 2005
satan's deadly nutsack

the escape goat posted:

holy poo poo chickens are soft like super soft oh my goodness :allears:

in other news, my roommate and I just got 4 lil' ladies! an Australoorp, a Barred Plymouth, and two Americaunas. I'll definitely post photos when it's not dark and stormy and we've got a proper space for 'em all set up but CHICKENS ARE CUDDLY AND IT BLOWS MY MIND

Chickens are so soft! I wasn't expecting them to be so soft!
Final cause it's wonderful that you are helping rescue chickens :)

my fluff butts moved into their coop on Saturday

I have 2 roos (1 blue and 1 gold laced), 4 hens (1 blue and 3 gold laced), 1 girl ducky and ... probably 3 drakes :(
chicky dust bathing is still adorable, watching them all fight to be in the middle while my little blue roo hops around on my shoulder is so fun

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Holy poo poo, who is the psychodino down in front?

Yeah that's Phoenix. She has the most severe case of resting bitch face I have ever seen.

Right behind her is the barred rock, Pizza. Then Dragon is the fluffy silly butt Easter egger behind them and Derple with the white ears is the dark brown leghorn. But I think she might be half road runner because she zooms around twice as fast as the rest of them and never stops.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

psychotic posted:

Chickens are so soft! I wasn't expecting them to be so soft!
Final cause it's wonderful that you are helping rescue chickens :)

my fluff butts moved into their coop on Saturday

I have 2 roos (1 blue and 1 gold laced), 4 hens (1 blue and 3 gold laced), 1 girl ducky and ... probably 3 drakes :(
chicky dust bathing is still adorable, watching them all fight to be in the middle while my little blue roo hops around on my shoulder is so fun

Do you still have one of the hens snuggling with the ducks?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Photo of a very handsome rooboy.

From Imgur.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Poop Bird, Jr. went out into the real world today!

She's been in the coop, but with her mom and segregated with a heat lamp for the last week. Now that the weather's warmed up a bit, we let her go out into the world. She's doing great so far.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yes they are quite fluffy little dinosaurs. My four new girls are finally gaining acceptance from Strawberry. She doesn't attack them on sight anymore only when they try to eat food... Which is hers it's all hers everyone else can go die. That took 3 months.

Also here are the idiots hanging out from a few weeks ago.

Is there anything that can look more indignant than a chicken?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Chooks chilling out in the garden. Blurry videos incoming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cm_gNqnpGM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiA8z9NWwfM

Turns out Chickens don't like Cockatoos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r18Q05i0mrI&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRXgkb7zCxg

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Cockatoos aside, you know it's an Aussie backyard when there's an old Hills Hoist clothesline in the backyard. No-one buys them, no-one knows where they came from, yet nearly every Australian backyard has one in some version or other :allears:.

Also I got five bucks on the Chooks to win against the Cockatoos. They look like scrappy little buggers :homebrew:.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Cockatoos aside, you know it's an Aussie backyard when there's an old Hills Hoist clothesline in the backyard. No-one buys them, no-one knows where they came from, yet nearly every Australian backyard has one in some version or other :allears:.

Also I got five bucks on the Chooks to win against the Cockatoos. They look like scrappy little buggers :homebrew:.

Some say the Old Ones erected them out of metal and basalt, as a warning to all humans.

I was surprised to see the cockatoo's flee, I have seen them drive off cats, along with magpies and crows etc however the chooks are quite large.

psychotic
Dec 25, 2005
satan's deadly nutsack

spookygonk posted:

Do you still have one of the hens snuggling with the ducks?

Sometimes, but not very often. Although I did catch one of the roos trying to squish under a duck yesterday.
For some reason I thought they'd become a big group of birds, but the ducks hang together and the chicks hang together. They do get along quite well with each other though

Aw I wish cockatoos just hung out in my yard

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Rocket, my tiny black leghorn lays the tiniest eggs, pure white. The biggest is from my Australorp or Australorp hybrid, I am unsure which one is laying the monster bum nuggets.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Looook! LookLookLookLook!

http://www.amazon.com/Chicks-Hats-2016-16-Month-September/dp/1631061119/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1449531573&sr=8-4&keywords=chicken+calendar

Can't decide if I prefer the pissed-off tiara one or the cutesy bunny ears.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

I like the chick wearing the little bonnet/shawl ensemble with the dark pink flower. The groom and bride are great too. :3

Only registered members can see post attachments!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Full grown man here going "Sqeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

Luckily there's no one else in the office.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Inveigle posted:

I like the chick wearing the little bonnet/shawl ensemble with the dark pink flower. The groom and bride are great too. :3

Looks like I'm gonna have to purchase another calendar for next year :)

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Little brown hen taking no poo poo and taking all the food.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Inveigle posted:

Please tell me where I can purchase this.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The Rat posted:

Please tell me where I can purchase this.

I linked to it, above. It's on Amazon.

Love how that hen at the end plants her foot in the food and gives the cat an 'Haha, touched it. IT'S ALL MINE'. look.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 8, 2015

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

spookygonk posted:

Ahahaha. My red does that to the cat. He is terrified of her. If he is eating something she walks over and chests up to him and stares. He just slinks off.

The littles are more of a mob scene. They see him eating and storm over like a pack of linebackers and just shove him out of the way to get to his food.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I linked to it, above. It's on Amazon.

Love how that hen at the end plants her foot in the food and gives the cat an 'Haha, touched it. IT'S ALL MINE'. look.

:downs:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

spookygonk posted:

Bopping chickens on the heads to make them stop doesn't work, because they have no brains there so there is no reaction.

psychotic
Dec 25, 2005
satan's deadly nutsack

Inveigle posted:

Holy crap, I want to put hats on the birbs now... None of them would put up with it though...

Apparently I was wrong about a few things (shocking I know), the ducks and chickens have not segregated. They are in fact one big ducken family!
The ducks are quite big and can't fly so for a while they've been going to their outdoor run during the day so they can swim. In the afternoon chicks and ducks are set free where they free range around together in a big group. They are always excited to see each other!
Ever since moving to the coop it's been harder and harder to get the ducks to their run in the morning, on Friday they paced up and down the fence crying and sulking. It took me until then to realise the chicks don't hang out by the front door of the coop all day because it's cooler there, they were calling out to the ducks and wanted to be outside with their friends.
I spent Saturday moving the run so they can all go out together.

Whitney duck is head bird (the little roos have been challenging her, but she puts them in their place) she makes sure everyone is okay, watches out for threats and rounds them all up for treats and bed time.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Hey y'all

My husband would like to raise ducks next year. He's thinking Muscovies. I'm on board with this plan. What do we need to do to prepare for them? We have quite a bit of space, and about a dozen chickens and one very dumb turkey hen at the moment. I don't think the ducks would necessarily live with the chickens. We're planning to build a house for the ducks that's separate, probably somewhere in the orchard area so it's pretty open and there's lot of foraging opportunity.

Halp?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Okay so today Strawberry, our last big hen, was slightly favoring one of her feet. I snatched her up and there was a round scab on her pad. It wasn't swollen or anything just a scab. Just in case bumblefoot I soaked her foot and took an exacto knife and peeled the scab back. It came off easily and there was nothing underneath it. Just chicken skin, not even thin pink skin. Anyway I out some bluekote spray on it and let her go.

Any ideas?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Okay so today Strawberry, our last big hen, was slightly favoring one of her feet. I snatched her up and there was a round scab on her pad. It wasn't swollen or anything just a scab. Just in case bumblefoot I soaked her foot and took an exacto knife and peeled the scab back. It came off easily and there was nothing underneath it. Just chicken skin, not even thin pink skin. Anyway I out some bluekote spray on it and let her go.

Any ideas?

Weird. The scabbing & limping sounds like Bumblefoot...I'm uncertain is a large, gross plug is always a given, you may have caught it very early. I'd keep in clean, medicated and check it often to see what happens.

I swear chickens go out and find things to shove through their feet like they are paid to do so.

BTW, my chickens are currently dealing with non-melting snow and 4 degree nights. NOT HAPPY and it's my fault as the go-to human to blame for such indignities. Gonna kiss up to them with a chicken/veggie/rice concoction to warm up their lil' frozen giblets.

Edit: Lynza, I don't have personal experience with Muscovies, but everyone I know that has kept them LOVES them, their tail wagging & hissing is always mentioned. I didn't know about their gently caress-you-up claws and that they like to sleep in trees! Sounds like they've got kind of a primordial duck thing goin' on there. I mean, lookit this velociraptor-looking thing:

Fun article here: http://hedgecombers.com/2010/11/24/muscovy-duck/

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 17, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Edit: Lynza, I don't have personal experience with Muscovies, but everyone I know that has kept them LOVES them, their tail wagging & hissing is always mentioned. I didn't know about their gently caress-you-up claws and that they like to sleep in trees! Sounds like they've got kind of a primordial duck thing goin' on there. I mean, lookit this velociraptor-looking thing:

Fun article here: http://hedgecombers.com/2010/11/24/muscovy-duck/

Muscovies are great. Unlike most other domestic ducks, they're not descended from mallards (they're some weird South American duck instead) so they have a number of differences including a different egg-incubating time. They're also much better mothers than other ducks in my experience with them. As in they'll actually sit on the eggs until they hatch and look after the ducklings, instead of getting bored and wandering off halfway :v: They're kind of goosey, too, which is awesome. Big tough ducks with hissing.

I love their lumpy wattly faces too and the glossy beetle colouring on the black feathers of the drakes. So pretty!

e: big tough drake sings to his ducks:

elegant princess duck

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 17, 2015

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Muscovies are great. Unlike most other domestic ducks, they're not descended from mallards (they're some weird South American duck instead) so they have a number of differences including a different egg-incubating time. They're also much better mothers than other ducks in my experience with them. As in they'll actually sit on the eggs until they hatch and look after the ducklings, instead of getting bored and wandering off halfway :v: They're kind of goosey, too, which is awesome. Big tough ducks with hissing.

I love their lumpy wattly faces too and the glossy beetle colouring on the black feathers of the drakes. So pretty!

e: big tough drake sings to his ducks:

elegant princess duck

Do Muscovies make good broody mamas for other duck breeds, or does the different incubation time screw things up?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Do Muscovies make good broody mamas for other duck breeds, or does the different incubation time screw things up?

I've heard of them being good for hatching other ducks' eggs. They may be smart enough to keep sitting on eggs until they hatch, like getting ducks to hatch chicken eggs and vice versa. (And like all the hens that sit on eggs long past the time they would have hatched.)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

They're also an ugly as gently caress invasive species that takes big stinky shits over everything and tends to crossbreed with actual good-looking native ducks.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

:perfect:

psychotic
Dec 25, 2005
satan's deadly nutsack

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I've heard of them being good for hatching other ducks' eggs. They may be smart enough to keep sitting on eggs until they hatch, like getting ducks to hatch chicken eggs and vice versa. (And like all the hens that sit on eggs long past the time they would have hatched.)

Yeah, I think muscovies are supposed to take 33-35 days to hatch, and most other ducks 28? so it should work out well.
They sound quite good! quiet - holy crap some ducks are noisy!, don't need a lot of water - you'll still be cleaning muddy poop water, just not as often as other ducks. I'm not sure if muscovies are as bad, but ducks are wet messy critters.
As Velvet Sparrow pointed out, they have huge claws, which will make picking them up interesting... although... 3 of my buff ducks are okay about that. but Whitney will do her best to remove your precious arm skin if you pick her up and she doesn't want you to. The article linked from V.S also says they would prefer to sleep in trees than a hut, but I'm guessing having a shelter might be good too. My buffs lead the chickens into the coop at night, but my ducks don't fly.
Lynza are you going to get babies or bigger ducks?

drat Roo boy is sick. He's got his eyes closed and is lethargic.
He looks fine apart from that, nice shiny feathers, clean bum, nice red comb. His poop has quite a bit of white but otherwise looks fine - no worms or blood, no signs of lice or mites and no sign or sparing injuries. He seems a bit skinny though.
We separated him from the others and he will eat if you put food in his mouth and will drink. We wormed him and the rest of the flock and I have some coccidiosis meds coming (stupid close by stores not selling chicken medication.. and stupid me not having any already) I don't really think it's that though...
His tummy gurgles a bit sometimes when eating so I think it's a digestion thing. Do chickens poop still if they have impacted crops? his breath smells fine.
A friend suggested we stop feeding and just offer water and give him a bit of olive oil
He seems more alert yesterday and today, but still not great

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

psychotic posted:

Yeah, I think muscovies are supposed to take 33-35 days to hatch, and most other ducks 28? so it should work out well.
They sound quite good! quiet - holy crap some ducks are noisy!, don't need a lot of water - you'll still be cleaning muddy poop water, just not as often as other ducks. I'm not sure if muscovies are as bad, but ducks are wet messy critters.
As Velvet Sparrow pointed out, they have huge claws, which will make picking them up interesting... although... 3 of my buff ducks are okay about that. but Whitney will do her best to remove your precious arm skin if you pick her up and she doesn't want you to. The article linked from V.S also says they would prefer to sleep in trees than a hut, but I'm guessing having a shelter might be good too. My buffs lead the chickens into the coop at night, but my ducks don't fly.
Lynza are you going to get babies or bigger ducks?

I think our plan is to get babby ducks and raise 'em up. We're thinking we'll probably clip their flight feathers as early and often as possible, since we live in the woods. If they want to roost in trees, they're going to have a boatload of trees to do it in, and I'd rather not have to try to get them down.

We figure we'll dig a little pond for them. We also have a little artesian spring on our property (lovingly known as The Swamp), but it's down a steep hill and through a bunch of bracken, so I don't think it'd be particularly great.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!
My friend was going home (while carrying a rotisserie chicken dinner, of all things), when she encountered this fellow.

Any identification as to what breed he is?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Vaga42Bond posted:

My friend was going home (while carrying a rotisserie chicken dinner, of all things), when she encountered this fellow.

He appears to be a game rooster, possibly a mix, but that's as much as I can tell.

psychotic, chickens can still eat & poo with a partially impacted crop but it may be an issue further down, in the proventriculus. You can see if his crop is emptying normally by taking away his food and water overnight (give it back first thing in the morning after you've checked his crop). Note the size of his crop before bed and again first thing in the morning, if it hasn't emptied overnight it could mean an impaction (vet time!).

You can give him soft foods to eat and a bit of unflavored yogurt with active cultures to help with digestion issues...other than that, watch for more symptoms. Going by the most common ailments I'd suspect coccidiosis, even without bloody poo.

How old is he?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vaga42Bond posted:

"That's my wife you're carrying under your arm. Prepare to die, human :toughguy:"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Found this in PYF.

psychotic
Dec 25, 2005
satan's deadly nutsack

Velvet Sparrow posted:

psychotic, chickens can still eat & poo with a partially impacted crop but it may be an issue further down, in the proventriculus. You can see if his crop is emptying normally by taking away his food and water overnight (give it back first thing in the morning after you've checked his crop). Note the size of his crop before bed and again first thing in the morning, if it hasn't emptied overnight it could mean an impaction (vet time!).

You can give him soft foods to eat and a bit of unflavored yogurt with active cultures to help with digestion issues...other than that, watch for more symptoms. Going by the most common ailments I'd suspect coccidiosis, even without bloody poo.

How old is he?

He's about 9 weeks old, We've been giving him scrambled eggs and grapes which he eats but only if you put them in his mouth - probably doesn't help that he doesn't open his eyes much.
I've got a cocci medication coming, hopefully it'll be here soon! I also talked to the woman we got him and his buddies from and she is sending some tetravet 100
I will check his crop too, thank you

It's probably worth mentioning we are also feeding our neighbours chickens while they are away. we are being really careful about cleaning ourselves and our clothing after getting back, and not wearing the same shoes in our birds area. Gave one of their girls an Epsom salt bath to combat a mad case of poopy butt and I think she might also be egg bound (time to get the Vaseline out)...

It is summer here though, with quite a few wild birds around. Roo boy could have quite a few different things...

Lynza posted:

I think our plan is to get babby ducks and raise 'em up. We're thinking we'll probably clip their flight feathers as early and often as possible, since we live in the woods. If they want to roost in trees, they're going to have a boatload of trees to do it in, and I'd rather not have to try to get them down.

We figure we'll dig a little pond for them. We also have a little artesian spring on our property (lovingly known as The Swamp), but it's down a steep hill and through a bunch of bracken, so I don't think it'd be particularly great.

Haha rounding up ducks is interesting... rounding up ducks in trees would be super fun! I whistle when I give my birbs treats from a red bowl, so now when the hear a whistle and see a red bowl they get super excited and come over.
Brooding baby ducks is nice, my partner is already looking forward to ours makin' babies.
We just have a plastic kids shell pool for ours, they don't need bigger but a big pond would be nice. They spend just as much time attacking my cherry tree as being on the water, I put netting up and Stevie climbed in it like it was a hammock

psychotic
Dec 25, 2005
satan's deadly nutsack
Well, Roo is not great. He seems a bit more alert but some of his poops are dark green.
I'm giving him coxiprol for coccidiosis and tetravet 100 antibiotics.
His crop empties over night so I don't think it's impacted.
I'm giving the meds a bit of time before I make a decision, He's 1 of 2 roos and if we kept any it wasn't going to be him anyway...

Also, gently caress. I found lacey in the coop on her own today which isn't like her, she was unusually okay with being picked up too and she wasn't interested in the peas everyone gets before we close the coop at night..
She had something in her crop so she must have eaten something today. I'm not sure whether she's just upset that it is windy and cold, a change in pecking order has shifted her lower down or whether she is starting to get sick like Roo.
I medicated the coop water with coxiprol and tetravet just in case, but if she isn't better tomorrow I might have to try and make a vet visit (on Christmas eve! ugh. hopefully someone's open)

I'm so confused! what's happening to my buddies?! They go nuts for my cherry tree which I've netted to keep them out as it's the only tree I don't want them in. Is It bad if they eat the stones? They are all about 9 weeks old, I changed them from starter to grower feed 3 weeks ago-ish (the starter feed said to use until about 6 weeks) are they starving from the lower protein?
Also is coccidiosis meds in water bad for ducks? I can't find info anywhere about it, I'll let them out of the coop tomorrow and keep the chicks in so the ducks don't get as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

psychotic posted:

Well, Roo is not great. He seems a bit more alert but some of his poops are dark green.
I'm giving him coxiprol for coccidiosis and tetravet 100 antibiotics.
His crop empties over night so I don't think it's impacted.
I'm giving the meds a bit of time before I make a decision, He's 1 of 2 roos and if we kept any it wasn't going to be him anyway...

Also, gently caress. I found lacey in the coop on her own today which isn't like her, she was unusually okay with being picked up too and she wasn't interested in the peas everyone gets before we close the coop at night..
She had something in her crop so she must have eaten something today. I'm not sure whether she's just upset that it is windy and cold, a change in pecking order has shifted her lower down or whether she is starting to get sick like Roo.
I medicated the coop water with coxiprol and tetravet just in case, but if she isn't better tomorrow I might have to try and make a vet visit (on Christmas eve! ugh. hopefully someone's open)

I'm so confused! what's happening to my buddies?! They go nuts for my cherry tree which I've netted to keep them out as it's the only tree I don't want them in. Is It bad if they eat the stones? They are all about 9 weeks old, I changed them from starter to grower feed 3 weeks ago-ish (the starter feed said to use until about 6 weeks) are they starving from the lower protein?
Also is coccidiosis meds in water bad for ducks? I can't find info anywhere about it, I'll let them out of the coop tomorrow and keep the chicks in so the ducks don't get as much.

I don't know about the cocci meds and ducks, but I'd keep them out of it just in case.

You may have to aggressively treat the chickens to make sure they are getting enough of the medicated water--hand feed them the medicated water with an eyedropper every two hours or so to make sure they are getting some. If they were my chickens I'd do this, be really pro-active and err on the side of caution.

Cherry stones can cause a crop impaction I'd assume, and have cyanide in them...are your birds swallowing the stones? Is the tree fruiting now (I don't know where you are in the world or if it's cherry season where you are)?

How does Lacey look--is her comb gray and shrunken? Any dirty vent feathers? How are her poops? Eating and drinking on her own?

Remember that antibiotics kill off good bacteria in the gut as well as bad, so you'll want to give them some probiotics when treatments ends to help replace the good gut flora. I know how *my* digestive tract feels when I have to take antibiotics and it ain't good!