Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I just hope 5ghz stays a bit of a niche thing so it doesn't run in to the same problems as 2.4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

e.pilot posted:

I just hope 5ghz stays a bit of a niche thing so it doesn't run in to the same problems as 2.4.

I don't know that I'd call it niche, and it's certainly going to be the standard going forward. But even when everybody uses the 5GHz band, it'll still be a vastly superior option due to it's biggest weakness - the smaller range will still reduce interference rather dramatically.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Even if everyone starts using 5 GHz it won't be the debacle that 2.4 is currently. Firstly it has 23 20 MHz wide non-overlapping channels - 2.4 has 12 20 MHz wide (in America) channels and only THREE of them are non-overlapping. In tight quarters 5 GHz's relatively poor penetration is a blessing in disguise - even if you and your neighbor are sharing a channel, their signal is likely to be weak enough in your house (and vice versa) that the interference is only a small problem (or maybe not a problem at all) rather everybody being within 10 dB of each other.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
To add, long range is a double edge sword because of interference. And from skimming this thread just because you can up the power of your antennaes doesn't mind your signal quality will increase in proportion. You introduce more noise which may actually degrade your wifi connection. The safest bet is to create another access point without using bridge mode

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Great the wireless repeater router for the guest house died. I need a proper solution that's not "shove an old router into the non insulated toolshed part of the guest house" Can't put it in the guest house proper since it's concrete block and can't find the signal from the other router. I guess my only good options are run a line (it's under 200 feet away) or mount some point to point thing right? I'll need to get a switch though since the main router is already out of ports.

For a basic non managed switch you just go modem to router --> router port to switch ---> switch to everything that's wired right? Wireless computers connected to the router can see stuff on the switch that way right?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

havenwaters posted:

Great the wireless repeater router for the guest house died. I need a proper solution that's not "shove an old router into the non insulated toolshed part of the guest house" Can't put it in the guest house proper since it's concrete block and can't find the signal from the other router. I guess my only good options are run a line (it's under 200 feet away) or mount some point to point thing right? I'll need to get a switch though since the main router is already out of ports.

For a basic non managed switch you just go modem to router --> router port to switch ---> switch to everything that's wired right? Wireless computers connected to the router can see stuff on the switch that way right?

For the switch question, yeah, as long as your router is bridging the wireless stuff and the wired ports (which is normal) then adding a switch onto one of the LAN ports on the back of the router essentially gives you more LAN ports.

For the point to point networking to other building you can either use a pair of wireless bridge devices (Ubiquiti seems to make some decent inexpensive ones) or run a Cat 6 cable. Ethernet cable has a max range of about 100 meters between powered devices so you should be alright within 200 feet and there's outdoor rated cat6. If you have line of sight and easy places to mount the bridge devices I'd probably go with those, but if not then it may be easier to run a cable. Either way you'll want to setup a good access point on the far end of your point to point setup. I'm fond of the Ubiquiti UniFi product line but depending on the size of your guest house it may be overkill.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I've run some ridiculous 600ft cat5 runs directly to a client, speed wasn't 100mbit, but it worked surprisingly well until a dump truck ran over it.

Such is the ghetto fun of working deployed military communications.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

e.pilot posted:

I've run some ridiculous 600ft cat5 runs directly to a client, speed wasn't 100mbit, but it worked surprisingly well until a dump truck ran over it.

Such is the ghetto fun of working deployed military communications.

I had to fix a slightly too long run that was done by a security company. They added PoE range extenders in the middle of the runs for their cameras but didn't include one for the main LAN connection, so we ended up with a run that worked normally for a little while and then all of the sudden it would get nothing upstream (packet loss and kilobits of data) and yet still managed to speedtest for 30 megabits down. Putting a desktop switch in the middle of the run fixed it until I could order another range extender (luckily it was inside of a building). The run itself wasn't ridiculously long but they broke it up into three sections and I don't think their installers knew anything about ethernet because they're just crimp them straight across with no accounting for the T568A or B standards. I think breaking it up and crimping it incorrectly caused the issues, but the range extender and re-crimping everything sorted it out.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

havenwaters posted:

Yeah that should be fine. I do this at my Dads office, hes got some ancient beast that was out of ports so I just tossed a switch onto one and put other clients onto that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I had a pair of some of the cheapest Ubiquiti devices (Nanostation Loco M5) pointed at each other about 100 or 150 feet away for a point to point. Once I got them set up, I literally never had to touch / log in to them again and they never flaked once. They might well end up cheaper than properly running Cat5E in-ground over that sort of distance, too.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Yeah I use a pair of Nanostation Loco M2's to get internet access about 290 feet away from my home router. I don't have direct line of sight so sometimes it drops signal but it's workable for general browsing.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I currently have a bunch of Cat 5e ran to various rooms to my first and second floor that terminate in my basement where my router lives. I'm planning on putting an ac access point on each floor and worried about throughput since my servers, office workstations, and the ac access point will be only connects to the basement switch with one gig port.

Maybe this is crazy but any ideas on how difficult it would be to run fiber from my second floor (or attic) to my basement? Any ideas that are sane?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Are you buying gear that supports 10G? Because 1G on fiber is the same as 1G on copper.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Boner Wad posted:

I currently have a bunch of Cat 5e ran to various rooms to my first and second floor that terminate in my basement where my router lives. I'm planning on putting an ac access point on each floor and worried about throughput since my servers, office workstations, and the ac access point will be only connects to the basement switch with one gig port.

Maybe this is crazy but any ideas on how difficult it would be to run fiber from my second floor (or attic) to my basement? Any ideas that are sane?

I guess the question is really how much bandwidth you need. I have everything here on gigabit and it's fine for most of what I need with 6 computers, 8 vms and 25 or so mobile devices. At an office I support they have about 15 computers on gigabit and it's also fine, and they have backup software moving files to a nas from each desktop every ten minutes or so. Unless you've got a home based business that moves huge files around constantly gigabit will probably be enough. You have to keep in mind that you internet connection is more likely to be a bottleneck than your LAN.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

skipdogg posted:

Your Atten and SNR levels are solid. You can see the modem is training at 1.528 down/0.133 up which is why you're seeing garbage upload speeds. The link retrains are concerning as are the CRC errors, although a few CRC errors aren't the end of the world.

Do you know what the tech is reading outside the house at the NID? One of the best troubleshooting steps you can do with DSL is connect the model directly to the line coming from the phone provider to eliminate all the inside wiring and interference.

If that's not an option unplug the dsl modem and everything else that uses the phone line in any way shape or form. Fax, Phone, Modem, Satellite Dish boxes, unplug it all. Plug the modem in and turn it on and see what it trains at.

Failing all that, try to see if they'll move you to a different port on the DSLAM, maybe the port on the card is being lovely and a different one will clear things up.

Well the technician never came by but I left him a message asking to be moved to a different port on the DSLAM. I'd posted this in the DSLReports forum as you'd mentioned before finally. One user recommended I call for an 'onshore agent' and ask to have my provisioning reset. I was able to yesterday and now my speed has improved:
DownStream Connection Speed 1755 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 284 kbps

I only have DSL service and one phone connection that goes straight to my router, no other devices attached to it. The tech checked the box on the side of my house and the line from the phone jack to the router showing no issues. Looks like the provisioning fix did the trick (I hope).

I got a reply there, too, saying to try out the Sprint LTE Karma that has an unlimited 5mbps hotspot plan for 50$. My home shows 'good' on their coverage map, however, I don't know what their upload speeds are. Has anyone tried or heard of it before? I think I may switch to it if so since that would be more than double my current speed for nearly the same cost. I've used my t-mobile LTE hotspot for gaming and didn't notice any latency or lag issues.

https://yourkarma.com

It looks like you get the device, but it's open to any connection. You log in to your account to then use data on it according to your plan. I don't know if my bluray player would work on it then to stream netflix and the like, but it would be nice to get HD 5.1 streaming ability (not sure how to get 5.1 from streaming on my laptop connected by hdmi to my home entertainment system, but the bluray app does so).

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
A couple of quick questions. I'm looking to do some very slight upgrades to my home network (well..really more like one upgrade, the addition of a switch.)

Currently, I have a fiber connection that comes into my house as Cat5e (so no modem) that goes directly to my wireless router, a Netgear N900. It comes in the unfinished portion of the basement initially, but there's a cable routed into the finished half of my basement where my router currently stands.

The previous owner either had the telecom company do some simple internal wiring, or (more likely) did some himself, based on the fact that it's sort of half-assed (no wall jacks, just cat5e coming/going out of holes in the floor/ceiling.)

Right where the telecom's cable ends is where he has two cable drops for the internal wiring. One goes to the living room, and the other goes to a spare bedroom that must have been his office. So currently I have the telecom's cable going to the router, and then the other two cables going out from there. The internal wiring seems to work (haven't tested the one in the other bedroom, just the living room.)

However, because it's in the basement, the wifi signal in the rest of the house isn't great, especially the room we actually use as the office (Not the same one he did, so no network drop in that room (yet) and it's nearly as far away as possible from the router and up a floor.)

My plan is to get a relatively simple switch (like this TP Link SG108E), put that in the basement, and then put the router in the living room from the existing cable that's routed there. Like so:

Two questions:

1) Do I need to get the managed version of that switch? After a mail-in rebate, it's only $5 more than the un-managed, so I figure might as well, right?

2) Assuming I get the managed switch, and I want to assign a static IP to the wired PS4 in the basement, I assume I still assign the IP at the router-level, not the switch, right?

clockworkjoe posted:

The problem is that it is a pain in the rear end to access. Is there a way to rename the share from \\tplinklogin.net to something easier to type? What are the best android and iOS apps to access the share? Is this the best way to set up a share for streaming video?

You can simply make a shortcut on your desktop, have it point to \\tplinklogin.net, name it "Network Share" or whatever and save it. Double-clicking on it will then run it.

You could also presumably map it as a network drive.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-map-a-network-drive-windows-7-windows-8-mac-os-x/

I think Win 10 is the same process as Win 8?

Not sure about iOS, but in Android, most file explorer apps (like ES File Explorer) can see network drives.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

DrBouvenstein posted:

Two questions:

1) Do I need to get the managed version of that switch? After a mail-in rebate, it's only $5 more than the un-managed, so I figure might as well, right?

2) Assuming I get the managed switch, and I want to assign a static IP to the wired PS4 in the basement, I assume I still assign the IP at the router-level, not the switch, right?

You'll still need a router to act as the middleman between your home network and your ISP, a switch isn't going to cut it.

What you can do is get a wired-only router and put that in the basement and then still use your N900 as a wireless access point in the living room.

How fast is your internet connection? If it's in the few hundred mbit range the EdgeRouterX is a good choice for a wired router, if you have a gigabit connection then you might want to think about moving up to the EdgeRouter Lite.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Krailor posted:

You'll still need a router to act as the middleman between your home network and your ISP, a switch isn't going to cut it.

poo poo, you're right...don't know why I thought I could get away with just a switch down there.

drat, though, $55? Not that I can't afford it, but it's still more than just a $30 switch. And while right now my connection is only 150 Mb/s, I might want to upgrade to their gigabit service in the future, so that's even more money.

I'm have tempted to jsut connect the incoming cable from the telecom to the cable going upstairs with a female-to-female coupler, putting the router up there, and then perhaps running a second wire back down the same path for the PS4 to use...though that could be tricky, since I don't have any reliable way to fish that second cable back down (at least not without doing the ol' "tie it to the existing cable and pull' method, which would defeat the purpose since I want that first cable in there, too.)

The irony is I work for an IT company that sells and installs networking equipment. You'd think somewhere around here we'd have a fish tape or something, but NOPE! The infrastructure guys don't do cable installs/pulls.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

DrBouvenstein posted:

poo poo, you're right...don't know why I thought I could get away with just a switch down there.

drat, though, $55? Not that I can't afford it, but it's still more than just a $30 switch. And while right now my connection is only 150 Mb/s, I might want to upgrade to their gigabit service in the future, so that's even more money.

I'm have tempted to jsut connect the incoming cable from the telecom to the cable going upstairs with a female-to-female coupler, putting the router up there, and then perhaps running a second wire back down the same path for the PS4 to use...though that could be tricky, since I don't have any reliable way to fish that second cable back down (at least not without doing the ol' "tie it to the existing cable and pull' method, which would defeat the purpose since I want that first cable in there, too.)

The irony is I work for an IT company that sells and installs networking equipment. You'd think somewhere around here we'd have a fish tape or something, but NOPE! The infrastructure guys don't do cable installs/pulls.

You could borrow two boxes of cat 5 and pull two runs through with your existing run as the puller. Also maybe a string in case you need more in the future. Or one run and a string then the other run with the string. If you want some wall mount boxes I've used these monoprice baseboard ones before, they're alright:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7090

I don't think they come with the punchdown tool, though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DrBouvenstein posted:

drat, though, $55? Not that I can't afford it, but it's still more than just a $30 switch.

You work for a place that sells network equipment to businesses and you're balking at a $55 router?

:raise:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

You work for a place that sells network equipment to businesses and you're balking at a $55 router?

:raise:

My home needs are far, FAR below that of even a small business.

I think I'll do the 'use existing cable to pull two' method. I'm just worried about the extra width of three total cables...even if I offset it so the plugs are spaced far enough apart, it still might snag somewhere.

To be safe, I think I'll use the existing one to pull a string, then use the string to pull the new ones.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 22, 2015

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Good thing the Edgerouter X isn't really appropriate for most businesses, but well suited for SOHO/home installs.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DrBouvenstein posted:

My home needs are far, FAR below that of even a small business.

Ok but $55 for a router is cheap regardless...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

Ok but $55 for a router is cheap regardless...

I wasn't trying to compare that cost to that of a business router, just making the point that it's silly to compare the cost of routers my company sells to one for home use.

And what's wrong with not wanting to spend more money if I don't have to? Obviously, there comes a point where the money saved isn't worth the time and effort, but I don't think I'm there, yet.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Depending on how cheap you want to be, you can run monowall or something on an old PC with multiple NICs. The power bill will eventually outweigh the cost of a new device but it will take a while.

If you already have an AP (and you do, counting the N900) then any old router will probably be fine for just handling the NAT connections over wired. You don't necessarily need to get the $55 model.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What's generally the easiest way of making a Windows files system accessible from outside the house? I'm going to be away for a few months, so providing my fileserver stays up I'd like to be able to jump in and grab stuff as needed. I have VNC Server running on it so I can use the interface at least, but moving files back/forth obviously not supported. I have VPN elements on my router (an ASUS N66u) but when I tried the before I could use the internet connection at my house OK (i.e. 'whats my IP' websites would return the line where the box sits), but I couldn't see any of the machines on the network. Not sure if the updated and 3rd party Merlin firmware I use changes that at all but could be worth another shot if that's generally regarded as a way to do this?

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Depending on how many files you need to transfer, something like Teamviewer might work for you. It's pretty good at getting through NAT, and has VNC and file transfer capabilities.

edit: Free for personal use.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

spoof posted:

Depending on how many files you need to transfer, something like Teamviewer might work for you. It's pretty good at getting through NAT, and has VNC and file transfer capabilities.

edit: Free for personal use.

Yeah, if you want to be able to pull files off of the remote computer, Teamviewer will make it easy. If you want to be able to mount the FS as a network drive or stream media, then you need to get the VPN set up or install Plex or something (for streaming media, that is.)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've never tried teamviewer before, I'll bung an install on while I'm away for a few days and see how it is. What's the disadvantages to using it over a mountable system? I honestly thought it was more of a VNC client, so I'll do some reading up.

Yeah, this is my plex server I'm talking about so that part should be golden. It's a shame my main playback client is the older Apple TV, as I'll lose plex ability as it relies on PlexConnect which has to be run local. I could run that on my laptop I suppose, just means relying on that always being up. Probably worth the 30 minutes to get it up and running though. Cheers!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
With Teamviewer you're actually copying the files to/from the remote computer. Using a VPN you could just attach to the remote file storage and view it on the local machine without having to wait for the entire thing to copy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah fair, that should be fine as if I'm transferring any video it's because it'll end up on a USB stick to put on a cheap and cheerful media player anyway so in theory shouldn't be an issue. Sounds like a winner, thanks!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm running OpenVPN on my N66U with Merlin's firmware and haven't had any issues. Make sure you're using DDNS and you should be golden; all of the devices in our home are set up to use it and we can access our NAS just as easily as if we were in the house. The extra security when using a public hotspot is also a bonus.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have a domain binded to the router for other services so sounds worth giving another shot. Did you leave everything on pretty much defaults? If you have a screenshot of how its setup for you (minus anything personal of course), that would be appreciated. I could probably get benefits from running both that and TV side by side.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Sure thing. I'm out and about right now so I'm just on my phone, but I'll post what I can when I get home.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Rexxed posted:

I guess the question is really how much bandwidth you need. I have everything here on gigabit and it's fine for most of what I need with 6 computers, 8 vms and 25 or so mobile devices. At an office I support they have about 15 computers on gigabit and it's also fine, and they have backup software moving files to a nas from each desktop every ten minutes or so. Unless you've got a home based business that moves huge files around constantly gigabit will probably be enough. You have to keep in mind that you internet connection is more likely to be a bottleneck than your LAN.

Yeah after I posted that I realized 10G is insane.

I'm thinking that I'm going to have to run new drops to rooms from my attic and then figure out how to get a link from the attic switch into my basement.

I guess I could take an existing run to an outlet that terminates in the basement and extend it up to the attic and then run a new cable down for the existing outlet which would give me the uplink I need.

How else do you get from the attic to the basement without ripping walls out?

Also the cable installers stapled the Ethernet during the house construction so I can't pull a bundle through.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I am running a traceroute from my laptop to another device on my network.

The connection flow is Laptop -> (Wi-Fi) -> Time Capsule -> (Ethernet) -> Router -> Ethernet -> Other device

However, when I do a traceroute, there is one hop, directly to the other device. I would have expected at least the router to show up. Why doesn't it?

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Boner Wad posted:

Yeah after I posted that I realized 10G is insane.

I'm thinking that I'm going to have to run new drops to rooms from my attic and then figure out how to get a link from the attic switch into my basement.

I guess I could take an existing run to an outlet that terminates in the basement and extend it up to the attic and then run a new cable down for the existing outlet which would give me the uplink I need.

How else do you get from the attic to the basement without ripping walls out?

Also the cable installers stapled the Ethernet during the house construction so I can't pull a bundle through.

If you have a vent stack running from the basement to the attic you could run parallel to that, though they're usually completely sealed all the way around on each floor, so you'd have to drill a hole on each level. Not sure what your local code would be for running low-voltage wiring (and if you need plenum-rated) beside it, though.

You could also find a corner of the house that each floor shares and drill outside the wall and just cover up the cable with a raceway. Most can be painted and cover up really well (I ended up doing this).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Axiem posted:

I am running a traceroute from my laptop to another device on my network.

The connection flow is Laptop -> (Wi-Fi) -> Time Capsule -> (Ethernet) -> Router -> Ethernet -> Other device

However, when I do a traceroute, there is one hop, directly to the other device. I would have expected at least the router to show up. Why doesn't it?

Most of the time people have wifi broadcasting from their router. The other devices on the network are attached to the router as well, but you don't route through them to get to the internet. Do you have a nonstandard setup?

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Rexxed posted:

Most of the time people have wifi broadcasting from their router. The other devices on the network are attached to the router as well, but you don't route through them to get to the internet. Do you have a nonstandard setup?

My Wi-Fi is broadcasting from an Apple Time Capsule, but it's just in Bridge mode; the router is an EdgeRouter X set up with the WAN2LAN2 wizard plus tweaking the name servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Axiem posted:

My Wi-Fi is broadcasting from an Apple Time Capsule, but it's just in Bridge mode; the router is an EdgeRouter X set up with the WAN2LAN2 wizard plus tweaking the name servers.

It's possible your traceroute software is ignoring local subnet hops but if it's not that then I'm not really sure.