Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Hiking rules, but sometimes there are rules you are supposed to follow. Like, no fires here (see the "campfires" thread, boy are there a lot of rules in there!). Sometimes there are even rules about how many people are even allowed hike here in one day. Do you have any good or bad rules where you hike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't follow any rules besides not leaving trash like a jackass. Don't usually hike on maintained trails though.

Toys For Twats
Sep 30, 2007
One awesome dude
Take out what you take in, and make sure your fire's out.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cabbagedude posted:

Take out what you take in, and make sure your fire's out.

Only filthy city folk don't do the last part no matter what.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

LNT and pack out your poop.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

https://youtu.be/ryZJWLMe1ag

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

spwrozek posted:

Pooping outside is lovely, but carrying poop is not very nice. Too bad poop doesn't burn.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Do people really carry bags of their own poo poo when they go on overnight camping trips? Maybe I'm just not used to sleeping in true wilderness, as opposed to a national park, and admittedly most of my overnight outdoors experiences were canoe trips rather than hiking trips, but I have never carried a bag of poo poo around with me when camping. Typically there were wooden boxes you could poo poo in or else you'd bury your poo poo in a shallow grave like a mafia informant.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Allemansrätten

Also, follow the directions of the oldest, fattest man, he is most likely paid the most and receives benefits to make you weep.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Helsing posted:

Do people really carry bags of their own poo poo when they go on overnight camping trips? Maybe I'm just not used to sleeping in true wilderness, as opposed to a national park, and admittedly most of my overnight outdoors experiences were canoe trips rather than hiking trips, but I have never carried a bag of poo poo around with me when camping. Typically there were wooden boxes you could poo poo in or else you'd bury your poo poo in a shallow grave like a mafia informant.

Many places allow you to bury it but it is getting to the point where human poop is causing damage to the environment because so many people are out there. There are special bags made to poop in that are easy to use. There is a push for more people to pack out their poop and it is what we do now when back packing, climbing, or skiing.

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
I'll be damned if I'm going to let the government force me to carry my own poop around.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
Rally popular areas like around mt Whitney require wag bags for pooping in otherwise the area turns into a sewer and smells like poo poo all the time

Other than that, 6 inches down and pack out your TP or use leaves or something. TP doesn't biodegrade for poo poo and animals dig it up and strew it around. Also don't poo poo next to the trail or campsites that's just loving weird

It ain't all pretty but I'd rather not always be stepping on people's toilet paper and poo poo I get enough of that living in a city

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Hiking is cool as gently caress but i ain't going to carry my poop around.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
No one should know you were there. Please don't litter or burn down the forrest. I guess thats about it? Pick up your dog's poo poo. I see a lot of little sacks of poo poo on trails. People will bring sacks in which to place their dogs poo poo, and then just leave the bag. I don't get it! Do they think someone comes along and picks it up for them? (do they?).

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

bongwizzard posted:

IMO it is acceptable to poop in a hole so long as the hole is far enough away from water sources etc. Bring a tiny shovel for this purpose, or dig the hole by scrabbling at the ground with your paws like a drat animal. Tip: Find a young but firm sapling. Drop trough, grab the tree, and lean back. This will help prevent you poopin in your own back pocket.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Barnyard Protein posted:

IMO it is acceptable to poop in a hole so long as the hole is far enough away from water sources etc. Bring a tiny shovel for this purpose, or dig the hole by scrabbling at the ground with your paws like a drat animal. Tip: Find a young but firm sapling. Drop trough, grab the tree, and lean back. This will help prevent you poopin in your own back pocket.
You could also just take your pants off entirely. You're already in the wilderness, making GBS threads into a hole like a loving animal, so clothes are just kind of window dressing at that point.
(I may have done this when I had loose poops at 3AM on a backpacking trip in Utah:ssh:)

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Barnyard Protein posted:

Tip: Find a young but firm sapling. Drop trough, grab the tree, and lean back. This will help prevent you poopin in your own back pocket.

Why don't you just put your hand on the ground behind you??

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Epitope posted:

Why don't you just put your hand on the ground behind you??

Like a crab walk?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Barnyard Protein posted:

Like a crab walk?

Ya. Then you don't have to hunt down a strapping adolescent to assist in your dirty business

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

bongwizzard posted:

if the trail is asking you to pack it out, it's because clueless retards have already turned the trail into an open sewer. dont add to the stink plz

Mathlete
Nov 30, 2005

It's hip to be a squared square.
just lol if you don't wear adult undergarments while hiking

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if the trail is asking you to pack it out, it's because clueless retards have already turned the trail into an open sewer. dont add to the stink plz

There is no where on this planet cool enough to make me willing to carry my poop in order to see it. I'll just go somewhere else.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
Crap in the woods if there are woods. Otherwise (above timberline?), carry that poo poo.

If conditions are dry enough you can store your crap at your campsite in the open for all to see so that it can dry out while you're climbing or whatever, then you'll have less to carry on your way back. Ultralight crap etiquette!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

bongwizzard posted:

There is no where on this planet cool enough to make me willing to carry my poop in order to see it. I'll just go somewhere else.

thats totally reasonable and does not add to the poop problem, ty for respecting the trail

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

You guys are a bunch of babies. We brought mini-toilets with us when we paddled Canyonlands for a week and it was fuckin fine

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The concept of "above timberline" is totally foreign to me. Mid Atlantic its trees as far up as you can get. I also have no interest in climbing up poo poo, gently caress mountains, I wanna spend my time in river valleys and such. Wanna get as low as possible.

Which is unfortunate as it seems like everyone one else loves them so it is very hard to find trails that follow rivers and poo poo.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

meselfs posted:

Crap in the woods if there are woods. Otherwise (above timberline?), carry that poo poo.

If conditions are dry enough you can store your crap at your campsite in the open for all to see so that it can dry out while you're climbing or whatever, then you'll have less to carry on your way back. Ultralight crap etiquette!

Most back country places I've been have just said bury it six inches deep at least and pack out your toilet paper, even above the timberline. The Whitney Zone is the only place I've been that required using wag bags, but I can imagine some other really busy areas might do the same.

Even camping near the Whitney Zone is kind of sketchy because of the number of people passing through all of the trails in that area and there's always some poorly dug pooping holes near the camp areas

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I like the parks here because they decided "We don't want anyone loving up nature so we're going to build campgrounds every 5-15km and they'll all have outhouses that are designed to maximize decomposition"

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
It is also weird to me that parks can be popular enough for it to be an issue. Even on a Saturday in the summer our little local parks are rarely crowded and most trails more then two miles from parking are totally empty.

I began to suspect that I was like the only person using one of the trials at a local park. To test this I once left a $5 bill in the middle of the trail weighed down with a rock. It remained there for easily three weeks.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bongwizzard posted:

The concept of "above timberline" is totally foreign to me. Mid Atlantic its trees as far up as you can get. I also have no interest in climbing up poo poo, gently caress mountains, I wanna spend my time in river valleys and such. Wanna get as low as possible.

Which is unfortunate as it seems like everyone one else loves them so it is very hard to find trails that follow rivers and poo poo.

You'd love El Dorado County in California.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Picnic Princess posted:

I like the parks here because they decided "We don't want anyone loving up nature so we're going to build campgrounds every 5-15km and they'll all have outhouses that are designed to maximize decomposition"

NPS actually removed composting toilets on Mt Whitney, for the reasons described above. Only so much they can handle.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

NPS actually removed composting toilets on Mt Whitney, for the reasons described above. Only so much they can handle.

shittiest job ever

Vimm
Nov 6, 2013

pee on a rock if rocks are around

Vimm
Nov 6, 2013

spwrozek posted:

not sure if you're being serious

Vimm
Nov 6, 2013

spwrozek posted:

Many places allow you to bury it but it is getting to the point where human poop is causing damage to the environment because so many people are out there. There are special bags made to poop in that are easy to use. There is a push for more people to pack out their poop and it is what we do now when back packing, climbing, or skiing.

should of continued reading...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Vimm posted:

should of continued reading...

Vastly depends on where you are and honestly if people poo poo in the woods properly it wouldn't be as big a deal in some places

Pro tip, don't poo poo in the middle of an established campsite

Vimm
Nov 6, 2013

I pooped in a cathole for the fist time last summer in Colorado. I kind of enjoyed it >.>

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
An interesting person I used to know had a really cool life rule: you haven't actually been someplace until you've peed on the ground. Keep that in mind next time you say "I went hiking".

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Was he a labrador retriever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I've never gone home :ohdear:

• Locked thread