Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Loads for me v:shobon:v try another browser or see if an ad blocker is causing loading issues (mine weren't)

Edit: Twitter says it was down temporarily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
Trip report: That was very easy. I got the confirmation email within seconds, and a printout of the certificate that's small enough to fit in a wallet and/or taped to the inside of a case. There's a good "don't be stupid" checklist, too. It took longer to pull out my debit card and put in the info than the rest of the process.

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream
Got my registration in. I was hoping the early registrants might get a shorter number, but mine looks like it'll take :20bux: of Dymo label tape.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Look how secure this is.

lol you can just download an excel sheet.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elendil004 posted:

Look how secure this is.

Gonna download that list and steal ur banggood points!!

EDIT: That list is like every boring consumer quad you can buy.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 21, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Manufacturer and model? What if you build your own?

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Wojcigitty posted:

Thanks. On bigger stuff the difference between electric and gas is interesting. Gas engines keep making power as they spin faster and faster, whereas electric makes less power the faster it spins (on a given set up obviously). This means that in the air, the electric plane will pull harder at low and medium speed than a gas plane, but will reach max speed pretty quickly; whereas as a gas plane will have a higher top speed which may be good for some aircraft or flying styles. The electric is a little more consistent and throttle response is always perfect. Maintenance is almost non existent whereas gas has stuff loosening up every now and then. But, flying times are limited, and charging is a challenge. On a plane like the MXS I would need a generator to do more than three flights (except at the field in the video which has a solar charging station).

It's a toss up really, but electric fit the MXS and how I wanted to fly it really well.

Most of that is about what I figured. I think I will stick to gas on anything over 60ish for now.

You should come out to our field sometime, we have electricity! Jase was here for our last 3d event in August, enjoyed watching him a lot. I really like the "high velocity" style 3D.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Elendil004 posted:

Look how secure this is.

isn't this commercial though

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

isn't this commercial though

Looks like it, actually. They've still said the hobbyist database will be public though.

Here have this example of yet more FAA incompetence which will probably affect a hobbyist near you!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngog...aw-enforcement/

edit: This guys number won't fit on his drone.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 22, 2015

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Not registering until the deadline. I have no problem with the registry except that it's public, and anything I can do to give the AMA more leverage I will do.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Combat Pretzel posted:

Manufacturer and model? What if you build your own?

The Combat Pretzel Dongcopter has just been registered.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
does a vertibird count if I take it outside (they said control line drones are included in these regs, and those d cells are fuckin heavy)

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 22, 2015

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWp9cGqHKiA

Peter is one of the best things that could happen to Flitetest.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ImplicitAssembler posted:

If you usually skip video links do not skip this one:

:stonk:

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

edit: This guys number won't fit on his drone.

That guy better not be paying full price for his sticks of butter :hurr:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Am I the only one who thinks putting a firework on a r/c plane could get someone in trouble with the police, airforce, or FAA?

.... Now I want to see a well developed star destroyer.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Nerobro posted:

Am I the only one who thinks putting a firework on a r/c plane could get someone in trouble with the police, airforce, or FAA?

.... Now I want to see a well developed star destroyer.

Under what law? It's private land (not that it matters) and not near an airport.

The only thing they could possibly get in trouble for is if fireworks are illegal in their state/county/whatever.

Wojcigitty posted:

Not registering until the deadline. I have no problem with the registry except that it's public, and anything I can do to give the AMA more leverage I will do.

I am doing the same. As much as people seem to hate on the AMA here, they have done a lot of work trying to keep the hobby safe from political bs. Also the insurance they provide helped me out a lot with no-questions-asked beyond what you would reasonably expect when making a claim.

subx fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 22, 2015

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

subx posted:

Under what law? It's private land (not that it matters) and not near an airport.

The only thing they could possibly get in trouble for is if fireworks are illegal in their state/county/whatever.

There are some interesting rules against guided munitions. That's why you can't have guided toy rockets. I"d need to do some more research, but this seems staggeringly close to guided munitions.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My :spergin: sense is highly offended by his use of "warp drive" instead of "hyperdrive", and that he (like about 99% of the internet) calls an aileron roll a barrel roll :spergin:

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

I'm fairly new to the hobby (been flying a hubsan x4 and a blade nano qx for a few months) but I had an idea for a build and I was curious if it would work or if it's a false start from the get go.

Would it be possible to build a multicopter out of an altoids tin? Right away I worry that it'd be too heavy, but I'm not 100% sure how much an altoids tin weighs off hand. An alternative I had was to use the top half of the tin only as a cover, but leave the bottom off. Any thoughts on the feasibility?

subx
Jan 12, 2003

Coldrice posted:

I'm fairly new to the hobby (been flying a hubsan x4 and a blade nano qx for a few months) but I had an idea for a build and I was curious if it would work or if it's a false start from the get go.

Would it be possible to build a multicopter out of an altoids tin? Right away I worry that it'd be too heavy, but I'm not 100% sure how much an altoids tin weighs off hand. An alternative I had was to use the top half of the tin only as a cover, but leave the bottom off. Any thoughts on the feasibility?

I guess the weight is dependent on the size of the motors and such. If you are wanting them "internal" it will be too heavy. You could do what you said or maybe cut out a bunch (like the entire bottom of the tin) but still keep it looking like a full tin.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Where do I get regular ccw m6 nuts (not that conehead prop nut poo poo). I'm getting a lot of those 3dr motors

edit: just to clarify, a ccw prop thread needs a ccw threaded nut, right? I bought like 10 of the "cw" black motors with ccw prop threads, and 2 of the ccw silver motors with cw prop threads (it would not let me put more than 10 of the black ones in my basket otherwise I'd just get all black)

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 25, 2015

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Mcmaster has them, #93510A125

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So I got my brother a mini-drone thing for Christmas, and my father-in-law an RC helicopter, and what started as kinda toss-in gifts ended up being more fun than just about anything else.

The OP here seems a bit dated, and a lot of the recent discussion appears not beginner chat.

So: let's say we want to pick up something more than a mini-throw-away-cheap RC aerial - any suggestions? Budget is flexible, we'd rather not get something crappy, but rather something we'll be able to use for some time.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Walked posted:

So I got my brother a mini-drone thing for Christmas, and my father-in-law an RC helicopter, and what started as kinda toss-in gifts ended up being more fun than just about anything else.

The OP here seems a bit dated, and a lot of the recent discussion appears not beginner chat.

So: let's say we want to pick up something more than a mini-throw-away-cheap RC aerial - any suggestions? Budget is flexible, we'd rather not get something crappy, but rather something we'll be able to use for some time.

Well, what do you want to do with it? Learn to fly helis or planes like a pro? Take aerial photography? Drone race? What your aspirations are will really affect what's a good option and will get started in the right direction.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

CrazyLittle posted:

Mcmaster has them, #93510A125

I think you mean 93510A120; though I'm also hearing m6 nylon threaded nuts will work for both directions

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I think you mean 93510A120; though I'm also hearing m6 nylon threaded nuts will work for both directions

Nylon or not you'll have right hand threading unless otherwise specified. If you use nylon nuts you'll just be cross threading them.

I'm in the same boat. I ordered a ton of those 3dr clearance motors in both directions, and didn't know / didn't realize they're all M6 threaded. I'm tempted to try to get some of the 3-hole mounted propellers just to sidestep the whole cw/ccw nut thing.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 26, 2015

NicktheNorse
Dec 30, 2004
Make it Fly!
I've been getting into CP helicopters over the past year. I'm getting somewhat skilled, been flying a Blade MCPX BL and Nano CPX, am learning inverted forward and backward flight.

But it's cold and horrible in Norway right now, and my place isn't big enough for any meaningful indoor flying. So not much heli action.

BUT! I bought a Blade Inductrix mini quad BNF as an impulse buy at my local hobby shop a couple weeks back. I'm using a Spektrum DX6 radio, and it's totally addictive. It's awesome for dicking around the living room. Put it into rate-mode, up servo travel to 150% and it's a proper scary maniac (can also put it into self-levelling mode for drunken flying when not all my senses are as sharp as they ought to be).

If anyone has a Spektrum radio and a few existing 1S lipos, buy one immediately. It's the best $$$ I've spent in this hobby.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

A Yolo Wizard posted:

on another note, you can just buy the IRIS+ propeller set which comes with the CW/CCW pair of self-screw propellers for $9 on Amazon prime

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What are the options for a very small (palm-size) quadcopter that I could use with my existing turnigy 9x radio? I'm aware that disassembling a 6ch receiver and soldering it in is an option for many platforms, but I'm wondering if there's anything that will just bind and fly (after radio configuration, of course).

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
older syma x1's did, or buy the cheapo orangerx dsmx JR module and be able to use a lot more bnf stuff

CrazyLittle posted:

on another note, you can just buy the IRIS+ propeller set which comes with the CW/CCW pair of self-screw propellers for $9 on Amazon prime

I have a lot of spare props from my phantom 2 as well (but I also have a box of rctimer 10x4.5 props)

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 27, 2015

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
I want to build a semi-rigid dirigible drone; does anything immediately come to mind as far as legal issues with something like that? (in Texas)

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shalhavet posted:

I want to build a semi-rigid dirigible drone; does anything immediately come to mind as far as legal issues with something like that? (in Texas)
Build'er extra big, put a target on the side.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Paint it like the American flag. Won't get shot down then.
Yeah but then how do you spark the fireworks??

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 28, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Paint it like the American flag. Won't get shot down then.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Shalhavet posted:

these exist so probably not http://www.amazon.com/Swimmers-Remote-Control-Flying-Shark/dp/B005FYEAJ8

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Those aren't 15-20' long and used outdoors though, which is what a coworker and I started talking about earlier today. I just don't know if it's a pipe dream to build what would essentially be a unmanned hot air balloon carrying some FPV gear, a DSLR, and the rotors to control it.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Shalhavet posted:

Those aren't 15-20' long and used outdoors though, which is what a coworker and I started talking about earlier today. I just don't know if it's a pipe dream to build what would essentially be a unmanned hot air balloon carrying some FPV gear, a DSLR, and the rotors to control it.

If its a lighter than air ship, does it meet the weight requirement for registering? :v:

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
I'll need to talk to folks to figure out how they'd weigh it, but probably it would be deflated weight of envelope and gondola. I hope it's not inflated weight, because if we do go the propane burner route a cold envelope will be about 400 pounds.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If you build a 15-20' semi-rigid and don't post build/flight pics in this thread, I WILL FIND YOU.

That seriously hits in my wheelhouse, but I think along the way, you're going to discover that there are very good reasons that no one builds LTA vehicles under a certain size. (Wind is a BITCH.) Also, hot air in that size is going to be hilariously difficult, since the hot gas mass/surface area ratio is going to suck hard in such a small vehicle. Hydrogen Helium lifting gas is probably a much better idea.

Build a hydrogen-lift drone, I beg you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A Yolo Wizard posted:

older syma x1's did, or buy the cheapo orangerx dsmx JR module and be able to use a lot more bnf stuff

Got a list of some good palm-size quadcopters that can use the JR module?