Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Quick question about GEX. I bought GEX North America and installed it onto a clean install of FSX. Do I have to run it every time I plan on booting up FSX or does it just install once and that's it? Cause every time I open up Gex Interface it says GEX NA is disabled and it does the backup etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Some guy leased me a 172 free till Feb how do I make it available to Goon Air?

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You don't, leasing only applies to the person leasing it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
OK then.

Any goon that rents C172 registration N6327L will get 90% of the dry rate returned to them. Just post your name and when you rented it.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I forgot that I signed up for an FSE account ages ago but never actually did anything with it. Been flying around the UK today and at one stage was in $1,000 debt because I didn't notice that the plane I rented was overdue its maintenance poo poo and so the passengers didn't load. :suicide: still flying around Welsh mountains is its own reward.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Agreed

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
FSX models carb icing in planes without carbs.

To overcome this you have to turn on carb heat using the H key. It doesn't affect anything else, just gets rid of the icing.

Thats dumb.

http://pastebin.com/VZf2CS5R

This is XML for an invisible gauge you can use to just not have your non existent carbs ice up. It checks to see if carb heat is off. If it is, it turns it on.

That's less dumb.

EDIT: Also, master battery force on:

http://pastebin.com/GmeJLfCP

This one's so the A2A Cub's radio will work on VATSIM.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 18, 2015

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Just bought the Carenado 206 for Xplane as part of the sale. This thing is going to be great for short FSE hops on PilotEdge. Anyway does anyone here use the G1000 upgrade package and is it with the extra $15?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
There's an FBO in northern Ontario close to where a large part of my family grew up. 250k.

What's owning an FBO entail?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's not worth it

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Its worth it if you aren't expecting money out of it. Its nice to have a little place to call your own. It does require some upkeep otherwise it vanishes after a period of time, but I'm looking at buying a few around PAMR/PANC to have some more stuff to do.

As far as I know it allows you to generate jobs out of the FBO.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm having trouble getting started with FSE. I registered as normal, but the Game World website doesn't want to accept my username and password and neither will the client. When I click the Sign Up link on the Game World home page, it just redirects me to the community site where I'm still logged in.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
You have to submit a thread on the game world subforum asking for an account. It takes a day or two at that point.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

EvilJoven posted:

You have to submit a thread on the game world subforum asking for an account. It takes a day or two at that point.

All right, thanks.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I don't seem to be able to find any 'Goon Air' under FSE flying groups, do you need to select it in the program? (I'm still waiting for game world registration)

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

e.pilot posted:

So after years of garbage clouds on xplane, SkyMaxx 3.0 has fixed all of my qualms.

It is perfect.

Actual overcast layers, when you descend in to them it looks like it should. Visibility limits actually work. And on top of that, it looks gorgeous.

http://imgur.com/rVQ57dr

https://instagram.com/p/_PvPnHnr3c/

Those are some expensive clouds!

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Diet Crack posted:

I don't seem to be able to find any 'Goon Air' under FSE flying groups, do you need to select it in the program? (I'm still waiting for game world registration)

It will be under the gameworld part of the site. Registration is pretty backwards and archaic (like most of flight simming) but usually goes through within 2 days.

Once you've got a gameworld account you can navigate to the "all groups" section and CTRL F for "Goon Air."

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Anyone else here use VASFMC? The in game gauge version doesn't seem to work for me, all the panels are unresponsive, just a black screen. The external client, on the other hand, works just fine.

So far it's good enough to drive my B1900D around.

EDIT: just figured out the black screen issue. Sweet.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 20, 2015

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

Those are some expensive clouds!

Worth it.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

e.pilot posted:

Worth it.

Well, I suppose I can't comment since I spent 60 bucks on a 1980's flying dong. And X-Plane's clouds certainly do look like rear end.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

That's one pimped out 172.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That's quite a loving difference to the supercub I've spent all my fixed wing time in. :stare:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
lol what a waste of money to go all of 110kts

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

why does a 172 need three separate artificial horizon/flight display doodads? is this the plane equivalent of tactilol'ing a gun up to hell and back?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Megadyptes posted:

why does a 172 need three separate artificial horizon/flight display doodads? is this the plane equivalent of tactilol'ing a gun up to hell and back?

The left Garmin panel is a single device. The Aspen in the middle is a backup (you need that if you're going to use these for IFR). The screens on the right are the GPS/NAV/COM stack.

Still overkill, you're right.

EDIT: Oh I see now, I missed the smaller backup attitude indicator. Ha, man that's a lot of display.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Maybe they use the plane for instrument training and demos

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Maybe he got his lovely 172 jacked for Pimp My Bugsmasher.

If they took a picture of the back you'd see the big screen and X-Box in the back and also the looks of indignation on the owners face because they didn't even bother to do the 100hr and also he can't even fly it home in one leg because they put a loving fish tank in there and it weighs 200lbs.

Also, I think I'm going to buy that FBO in FSE. It's at an airport that's close enough to the airport of my moms home town (that didn't exist in the FS9 airport list so doesn't exist in FSE) that I can fly my FSE jobs from it instead.

EDIT2: Anyone doing FSEconomy I just bought a grass strip in Northern Ontario, CPX4. If you don't like the thought of operating out of closed airports I'll soon be whipping up a nice rendition of CFR5 which FSE will treat as CPX4.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 22, 2015

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Flying FS Economy on PilotEdge is tons of fun. Really forces you to think about how to get through the airspace in the most efficient and legal way. It's like a whole new layer of strategy in your route planning and ATC negotiations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lobsterminator posted:

That's one pimped out 172.

Maybe he works on the F-35.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Flying FS Economy on PilotEdge is tons of fun. Really forces you to think about how to get through the airspace in the most efficient and legal way. It's like a whole new layer of strategy in your route planning and ATC negotiations.

Or illegally :slick:

Gotta save up dem $ for the 146/Avro. A lot of dem $. I made 6 G's in like 1.5 hours of flying though.

e: Actually there are gently caress all assignments over 45 passengers so the Jetstream is probably a better buy at 1/3 the price.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Dec 22, 2015

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Every DLC for FSX:SE is on sale if anyone is interested.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SoapyTarantula posted:

Every DLC for FSX:SE is on sale if anyone is interested.

Welp, there goes some of my daily pay.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
For X-Plane users, I just uploaded a FlyWithLUA script that creates an X-Plane command that increases / decreases the autopilot altitude value by 100 ft intervals, instead of the default 10 feet. Should make it much easier to make fast altitude changes with keyboard or joystick controls. It's included in the newest version of FlyWithLua 2.4.3 here: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=17468.

To install, look for "autopilot 100ft up-down command.lua" in the "FlyWithLua\Scripts (disabled)" folder and drag it into the "FlyWithLua\Scripts" folder. The commands are FlyWithLua/autopilot/inc_alt_100 and FlyWithLua/autopilot/dec_alt_100, which you bind via the normal way.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I'm moderately happy with VASFMC, seeing as it's free.

I incorporated it into the Carenado B1900D I bought as a quick money maker in FSE.

It doesn't provide VNAV but it will call out TOC and TOD for you and the altitude hold can be set to hold a ascent/descent profile in degrees so you can do an RNAV approach easy enough. It also has an auto throttle bug and just so I could set this up as a minimum attention needed aircraft I edited one in to the B1900D so I don't need to babysit the throttles.

For negatives it seems the FSUIPC callouts are messed up so everything has to be done in the popup windows. I couldn't get macros to work. The CDU sometimes has garbled text on easily ignored lines. Also, it completely hijacks your autopilot so you can't turn it off in flight and go back to the stock AP. I also had to reinstall it because it wouldn't let me change my altimeter settings.

Also, always select the 747 in the init screen or it'll think you're going to stall if you fly under 150kts with flaps up. I also had to go to the squakbox settings to set it to manual so I could squak C on the ground after touchdown.

I did find that if you don't load the ND gauge the system doesn't initialize. Annoying at first, handy once I figured it out.

Overall, I'll keep using it.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Doing a FSE flight today in the Cessna 337, KFIT -> 7NK0 with 3 passengers.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 23, 2015

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
News: Out of completely left field. Flightfactor released their 767 today.

Views: What the gently caress? How does X-Plane have so may decent tubeliners all of a sudden. I like this. Its like they payware went from complete poo poo to decent in the past couple years.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

News: Out of completely left field. Flightfactor released their 767 today.

Views: What the gently caress? How does X-Plane have so may decent tubeliners all of a sudden. I like this. Its like they payware went from complete poo poo to decent in the past couple years.

Because FSX has been all but abandoned, and prepar3D isn't that much of an improvement over it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I am thinking of getting back into P3D. Notice it's not version 3 (I last bought V1). How is 3? Is it x64?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Still x86 as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Has anyone got the QualityWings BAE146? I've tried installing it and doing every hotfix on their loving forums to get it working, every 'patch' they've offered and it still crashes FSX on loading the aircraft. It used to work just fine, but now that I'm running through FSX-SE it refuses to work. It's something up with the gauges because it will load in if you're in an external view on another aircraft, but then crash when you move into the VC.

Wondering if anyone has had the same issue and managed to fix it?