Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

PVP is like sex you see

he doesn't take part in either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I pitty them

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Eonwe posted:

he doesn't take part in either

It's the 'Vs' part that confuses him

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

PVP is like sex you see

To be fair, it's the closest that many shitizens will get to having sex

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SirPhoebos posted:

Not to mention the possibility that Crowdfunding gets destroyed either by public aversion and/or onerous regulation.

Like the mortgage industry.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

fuctifino posted:

To be fair, it's the closest that many shitizens will get to having sex

Unless you are Karl, who can go gently caress himself

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

It's the 'Vs' part that confuses him

:yeah:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What do you do for a living?

I farm space potatoes in a video game called star citizen.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

My favorite part about the cultists witch-hunting Elite is that they're doing it because Elite is a playable, actually released game that isn't a buggy mess like Christ Roberts' crown jewel. So they're obviously paying attention, but then the cognitive dissonance kicks in and they go full crazy. There's no actual reason for them to go after Elite other than pure spite for Frontier having the audacity to develop their game in a competent, professional manner, as opposed to banking entirely on whales as Chris blows all the money on a lovely mo-cap movie to stick it to the Hollywood man while letting his wife pretend that she's an actress. On some level, they clearly understand that they're being played, yet they're so far gone that they're advocating FOR the con, rather than AGAINST it.

They're just too far gone, man. :smith:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Eonwe posted:

can you imagine a high powered lawyer registered on the Something Awful Comedy Message Boards 2015 to argue with people about space ships

i also miss octopode

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/241560/?snr=1_7_15__13

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Fishtank - Thorshu Grey
View all Decorations

Considered to be quite a delicacy in many restaurants due to the tender meat, the Thorshu can be found in the colder climates of southern Terra. Also was the basis of Waka Grey, the sidekick from a 27th century children’s show.

WARNING : At the moment, the Hangar Fishtank Mk1 is only able to display one of each fish. If you buy the same fish twice you’ll only see one in the Fishtank until multiple fish instances are supported.

same guy built their servers built the fishtank

Wyld
Sep 2, 2015

Fun Shoe
A buddy in Russia just sent me this link when I mocked his country - His reply "Ve Are not China"

RSI and Reddit archive Sesame Credit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHcTKWiZ8sI

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Gonkish posted:

On some level, they clearly understand that they're being played, yet they're so far gone that they're advocating FOR the con, rather than AGAINST it.

Chris invoked the Ben Franklin effect on the whales. They donated to him, don't you see...

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Hmmmmmmmmm

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/308361/grief-the-griefers-in-2-0

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Star Citizen: suicide with nobody watching

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Griefing shouldn't be a ten step process. But hey more power to them if they think that's sticking it to the griefers *thumbs up*

Eight step process ,not ten.

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 24, 2015

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Ships wink out of existence as soon as their owner dies and makes a new one, instantly, out of nothing.

SO IMMERSIVE AND REALISTIC

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

starkebn posted:

Star Citizen: suicide with nobody watching

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

I mean, don't actually buy that one. That would be horrible.
Get some Outrun remake or MAME ROM or something. But if you want an MMO version for some unfathomable reason, then there it is.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tippis posted:

I mean, don't actually buy that one. That would be horrible.
Get some Outrun remake or MAME ROM or something. But if you want an MMO version for some unfathomable reason, then there it is.

I'm going to get this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auuYtx8627A

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

blueberrysmith posted:

Wow, that was brutal. She just rambled on trying to describe all the magic she provides and the hosts go silent waiting for her to say something that actually makes sense.
That was incredibly awkward to watch. For a marketer, Sandi isn't very good at marketing herself.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

:aaa: :homebrew:
I was waiting for the SEGA and [insert coin] prompts to pop up.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

G0RF posted:

Wow, more from that clip AP linked earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPTeAK8ipmE&t=36m15s

:yikes:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tippis posted:

:aaa: :homebrew:
I was waiting for the SEGA and [insert coin] prompts to pop up.

It's given me blue balls for a couple of years now but seems like it actually may come out now.
It's a story similar to SC in a lot of ways.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

That magical thing is anvil aerospace.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

Iglocska posted:

I'd write a cheque addressed at Blizzard with the subject just saying "Warcraft 4".

ftfy

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Can you self destruct a multi crew ship and does everyone on board get the 10 second countdown?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6145983/#Comment_6145983

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

Amarcarts posted:

Iglocska posted:

I'd write a cheque addressed at Obama with the subject just saying "Thanks Obama".

ftfy

ftfy

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

:tinfoil:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6145304/#Comment_6145304

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

G0RF posted:

Host talks about his annoyed reluctance to pay for the Horizons expansion even while admitting he's spent several times more for a game he can not play.

He presents it as a mystery. Sandi then unlocks the mystery for him by asking, "Well let me ask you-- do you feel connected to Elite Dangerous like you do Star Citizen?"

HOST: "No, no-- not even close."

Sandi smirks cockily (really)-- and is asked by the host what magical trait Star Citizen has (that Elite doesn't) that (in his words) "separates the fools from their money?"

Sandi is beaming as she offers her reply, which is essentially "I'm not saying I'm the reason-- but I am the reason..." (no joke) and then she explains how she provided the magic ingredients to separate fools from their money. And later, she invokes the speech she gave at Citizen Con as an expansion on the "magic" qualities that Star Citizen provides.

It's an amazing clip-- very worth watching.

Amazing marketing or random chance?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gonkish posted:

My favorite part about the cultists witch-hunting Elite is that they're doing it because Elite is a playable, actually released game that isn't a buggy mess like Christ Roberts' crown jewel. So they're obviously paying attention, but then the cognitive dissonance kicks in and they go full crazy. There's no actual reason for them to go after Elite other than pure spite for Frontier having the audacity to develop their game in a competent, professional manner, as opposed to banking entirely on whales as Chris blows all the money on a lovely mo-cap movie to stick it to the Hollywood man while letting his wife pretend that she's an actress. On some level, they clearly understand that they're being played, yet they're so far gone that they're advocating FOR the con, rather than AGAINST it.

They're just too far gone, man. :smith:

What's funny is you don't see negative cultists reviews for the Xbone version like you do with the pc version because you cannot get a refund with the Xbone version

Lol

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

quote:

"They've done more in the past six months on their game than Derek Smart has done in the past two years."

What a moron. Has he actually seen this? And that's just one game.

Not to mention the fact that I designed and shipped an entire multi-platform game (LOD Tactics) - and on a console - within a span of merely two years. While doing radical updates to yet another game within a span of less than a year.

That's three projects - one massive - between 2010 and 2015. They're still pissing around after 4yrs + $100M on a project still in pre-Alpha and with no end in sight.

quote:

"I'm just telling you what the actual definition is. If they were public, they would have to report to the SEC. I know things because this is actually my line of work, not "sources". If you want to live in Derek Smartland and not the real world, more power to you."

The SEC is a Fed agency. The FTC is a Fed agency. All businesses are subject to FTC rules, regulations, and guidelines. And it being crowd-funding, falls directly within the purview of the FTC.

Bonus fact: Since they do have investors (not crowd-funding), they ARE subject to the SEC guidelines. They know this. Which is why when Bootcha asked for his money (a lot more than refund refusals they keep doing), they gave it to him quickly. Especially since - as I understand it from my sources - like others, he was asking for the financials, project state etc. They kept ignoring and stone-walling the requests. Which is why, frustrated and disappointed, he opted for his money back rather than waste legal bills chasing them. And since they had no intentions of showing him the financials, though Bootcha should have and could have made a big stink to the SEC, they gave it to him quickly.

This is the one disappointment I have that Bootcha opted to exit quietly. If this were me, or any one else, two things would have happened

1) file an SEC complaint which immediately opens an investigation

2) file a short-form motion to compel complaint, forcing them to provide what he was entitled to in the contract

There is no way in hell they could have got around either of these two things. And ToS won't even be in play - at all. And that's why they gave him back his money so quickly and with no lengthy discussion.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

D_Smart posted:

Bonus fact: Since they do have investors (not crowd-funding), they ARE subject to the SEC guidelines. They know this. Which is why when Bootcha asked for his money (a lot more than refund refusals they keep doing), they gave it to him quickly.

Relatively speaking. They avoided him for a bit until I argued with him to get a bit meaner than he wanted to about it. Still, yeah, I'm 100% convinced that they only ever got back to him because of fear of legal action.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hav posted:

Start asking when they expect completion of anything. The constant shifting of the start point to indicate 'development' is as dumb as constantly gainsaying the same thing over and over.

It's like numbering an _alpha_ with 2.0 to indicate to the dumbasses that there's been progress since 1.0. It was stupid when it was applied to the Web by marketers and it's stupid now.

Almost immediately you mention Piranha, however. Mechwarrior franchise? Currently in a licensing deal with PGI and sublicensed through Harebrained Schemes? ShadowRun? Microsoft will do pretty much anything for a quick buck at the moment as their cash cows are threatened.

Yeah, microsoft will license or sell "distressed" properties if they can make money from an IP. And it's got nothing to do with money (they have enough and don't need to make pennies on stuff like this); but more to do with keep an IP current and in use.

quote:

No, they didn't. EA pretty much said so when they claimed to have the license when PGI attempted to launch Transverse. There was talk of a licensing 'deal', but it never panned out, this was one of the central pieces to criticism of 'Transverse', that they claimed to have the IP, but decided to build something entirely the same from whole cloth. Look for statements from Russ Bullock that correct Bryan Eckman. EA retains the rights to Wing Commander.

Nope. Less than two weeks ago, I was having a discussion with Russ about this and he confirmed that they had the license but it lapsed.

And back in 2010-11, EA was about to license Wing Commander to Chris and a group that was going to provide funding. But the funding fell through. Chris went on to make Star Citizen instead.

e. It was the Freespace license that PGI had for 6 months. Not Wing Commander - which they also had for a period time (didn't say how long - but it's online apparently). He walked away from the WC in order to focus on MWO instead after they put a lot of money into buying out their publisher.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 24, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

It's interesting to see how the mentally ill are always entranced by their own fake psychoanalysis, even though all they do is constructing weird conspiracy theories in their head.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Libluini posted:

It's interesting to see how the mentally ill are always entranced by their own fake psychoanalysis, even though all they do is constructing weird conspiracy theories in their head.

No but you see he's totally legit because he cares about a complete stranger on the internet and he's diagnosed him and he knows real people with mental illness and and and.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

G0RF posted:

Host talks about his annoyed reluctance to pay for the Horizons expansion even while admitting he's spent several times more for a game he can not play.

He presents it as a mystery. Sandi then unlocks the mystery for him by asking, "Well let me ask you-- do you feel connected to Elite Dangerous like you do Star Citizen?"

HOST: "No, no-- not even close."

Sandi smirks cockily (really)-- and is asked by the host what magical trait Star Citizen has (that Elite doesn't) that (in his words) "separates the fools from their money?"

Sandi is beaming as she offers her reply, which is essentially "I'm not saying I'm the reason-- but I am the reason..." (no joke) and then she explains how she provided the magic ingredients to separate fools from their money. And later, she invokes the speech she gave at Citizen Con as an expansion on the "magic" qualities that Star Citizen provides.

It's an amazing clip-- very worth watching.
That whole sequence was weird. I'm pretty sure when she talks about a "shared experience" that makes the backers feel connected to SC, it isn't what the host was thinking (meeting people/playing with friends in MMOs and having good times), it is actually because they have given money to the project and feel like they're a part of it. Like "we're all on this journey to fulfill CRobber's vision" and it's not "just a game."

And I swear I wasn't trying to phrase that in a way that makes it sound like it's a cult, but here we are.

• Locked thread