Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

1500quidporsche posted:

It's better than how the Catholic church connects with youths.

Is this really a counter argument?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Today I watched Ayrton's first win in F1 where it was pissing down hard in Portugal and he beat the poo poo out of everyone and Schumi's first win with Ferrari in Spain where it was also insanely wet, Portugal 85 was crazy because the conditions were so bad that even Prost spun out and Rosberg lost his Williams and left it in the middle of a turn and marshalls where trying to move it and couldn't do it and cars where flying past so loving insane and then at the end when the Lotus crew jumped the pitwall to receive Senna they almost got run over by Mansell or someone who got lapped by Senna at the end, so crazy.

RIP both of them

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Thank God our Dave (Cameron) is taking action against the Berlin/Brussels* lobby leading the BBC. First they get rid of F1 so people don't hear about Lewis being the best driver of his generation. Clearly after all these years rooting for Rosberg and Vettel they reached a point where the only way to deny the truth was not to show it. And now they got rid of Clarkson because he praised the British car industry and wrote columns on The Sun saying that he loved Britain and replaced him with

quote:

German racing driver Sabine Schmitz

The BBC has clearly gone rogue, it's time to stop taking that law about how it's independent so literally, take it back from the Germans and put the Queen in charge

(*) = as if those two aren't the same thing LOL

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

poty posted:

Thank God our Dave (Cameron) is taking action against the Berlin/Brussels* lobby leading the BBC. First they get rid of F1 so people don't hear about Lewis being the best driver of his generation. Clearly after all these years rooting for Rosberg and Vettel they reached a point where the only way to deny the truth was not to show it. And now they got rid of Clarkson because he praised the British car industry and wrote columns on The Sun saying that he loved Britain and replaced him with

The BBC has clearly gone rogue, it's time to stop taking that law about how it's independent so literally, take it back from the Germans and put the Queen in charge

(*) = as if those two aren't the same thing LOL

Ahem..the Queen is German too..

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
McLaren news:

Fernando Alonso recently claimed that the Woking team would deliver around 2.5 seconds of lap time improvement this winter. Though F1 observers felt it may require McLaren to compromise their car design to accommodate Honda as did Red Bull Racing.

Eric Boullier, McLaren’s team principal in all but name, was questioned over Alonso’s bold claims and told Czech portal F1 News: “Nothing is for sure or guaranteed. But we know why we were not competitive this year. This new PU technology is great, but needs to mature. When you are unable to deploy electrical power throughout the lap, you lose seconds rather than tenths.

“So if we can fix this issue, along with a few others, we will be able to recover a couple of seconds in terms of performance.”

Jenson news:

"Everyone will use the same tyres. Unless they have a massive issue with one tyre, everyone will use the same tyres. They have limited it.

“If it was completely open and you could use any of the tyres available, then you might have the possibility of someone running something a bit different, a bit crazy. But you’re limited to three different tyres and everyone will be on exactly the same. After the first race, nobody will talk about it any more.”

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My 2015 fia season review DVD's just shown up :dance:

edit: holy poo poo, It's about 4 hours long this time and then there will be a couple of hours worth of extras on top of that.

oh wow, the opening segment was awesome and this year they have included testing. Looks very much like all the cool slow mo stuff the FOM did was all designed for this DVD. I said they keep getting better year after year and this year they have halved the price from £30 down to £15.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 24, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Anyone own any books from this series? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/08573...QKXAD9Z770TRS5C curious how in depth they go.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Review from the earlier edition might be what you are after http://www.amazon.com/Red-Bull-Raci...DE15PSYP3QAYJMQ

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Merry Christmas F1 thread

May Baby Jesus bring us a car capable of challenging the Mercs

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

El Hefe posted:

:cheers:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

El Hefe posted:

I hope santa brings you some toilet paper and bottled water.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Santa is bringing 2.5 seconds to Alonso this year.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

nsaP posted:

If they have any sense their new show will be entirely made up of trips and challenges.

So it'll be Top Gear USA?

That worked out well.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The Top Gear USA I saw had them mimicking the UK show but poorly. I gave up on it pretty quick tho.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Merry Christmas worst thread! May the glorious scud bless each and every one of you.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
The Santa hats are loving sponsored

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Dubs posted:

The Santa hats are loving sponsored
Santa-nder, of course.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

It will be poo poo. We all know it will be poo poo.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

learnincurve posted:

Merry Christmas worst thread! May the glorious scud bless each and every one of you.

hell, the scud, are good!

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

monkeytennis posted:

It will be poo poo. We all know it will be poo poo.

I bought an Amazon Fire Stick to get the real deal, non of this Chris Evans bullshit for me the ginger twat.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I must have mentioned this before but if anyone thinks they saw boring races this year in lovely fake country venues you should watch the 89 US GP in Phoenix on youtube. Christ what a parade of a race on a completely worthless track. Makes any Circuit de Tilke look beautiful.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I must have mentioned this before but if anyone thinks they saw boring races this year in lovely fake country venues you should watch the 89 US GP in Phoenix on youtube. Christ what a parade of a race on a completely worthless track. Makes any Circuit de Tilke look beautiful.

Was that the one in the car park lot? I recall it was a loving clusterfuck.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah it looks like an autocross with fewer spectators and less fun.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
unfortunately they have had to use footage from the video game to avoid takedown from the FIA but still, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVIx9hCAHTk

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
lol

but also poor Nando

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Can we please have a moments silence for the Italian race engineer who decided to join McHonda with nando rather than stay with Ferrari and look after Seb instead.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Was that the one in the car park lot? I recall it was a loving clusterfuck.
No, that was the Caesar's Palace Grand Prix which was held in the car park for the Caesar's Palace

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesars_Palace_Grand_Prix

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Part of me wishes they still did crazy poo poo like that

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Be careful what you wish for, I have the 1981 race with english commentary. Cooking on dailymotion now, ready in 3 hours plus change.

edit: didn't work got an error and it's honestly too poo poo to bother splitting.

Here is the one on youtube in furren instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ILFijGeOmE

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 27, 2015

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyOzjlUfaU0

The last BBC end-of-season montage ever?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
normally these aint great but this one contains the perfect amount of Montoya so it's good and cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSw4RwuuV4c

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Was there something in the early 80s about setting up tracks with no spectators? Was it like a new fad where TV is the future and humans are bad? Was it Bernie's idea?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If you are referring to the Caesars Palace Grand Prix it was because no one showed up to watch the race (long beach was on the calendar in those years as well) and even if they had they didn't have the infrastructure in place for spectators. Only reason it was held there at all was because someone gave Bernie a dump truck full of money.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Helicon One posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyOzjlUfaU0

The last BBC end-of-season montage ever?

Pshhh, been there done that, they came back

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ok now here's a thing, it wasn't Renault who bought Lotus, it was Grigny who are a subsidiary company. Grigny are the artists formally known as Benetton. So basically Benetton just bought itself back for one shiny UK pound coin.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Sounds like the Italian guys who sold MV Agusta to Harley for like 200 million and then bought it back when the recession hit for a dollar.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The U.S. street circuits were objectively some of the worst in F1 history but generally produced entertaining races.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

If you are referring to the Caesars Palace Grand Prix it was because no one showed up to watch the race (long beach was on the calendar in those years as well) and even if they had they didn't have the infrastructure in place for spectators. Only reason it was held there at all was because someone gave Bernie a dump truck full of money.

The promoter of the Ceasars Palace GP actually turned a profit somehow.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dallas was the shittiest circuit imaginable but reportedly would have been a success if not for the promoter taking the money and running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Human Grand Prix posted:

The U.S. street circuits were objectively some of the worst in F1 history but generally produced entertaining races.

God I hate the Long Beach circuit.

• Locked thread