Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

e.pilot posted:

Because FSX has been all but abandoned, and prepar3D isn't that much of an improvement over it.

I've been nursing along some old GTX 470s and p3d is a bit better than FSX, but X-Plane runs soooo much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Diet Crack posted:

Has anyone got the QualityWings BAE146? I've tried installing it and doing every hotfix on their loving forums to get it working, every 'patch' they've offered and it still crashes FSX on loading the aircraft. It used to work just fine, but now that I'm running through FSX-SE it refuses to work. It's something up with the gauges because it will load in if you're in an external view on another aircraft, but then crash when you move into the VC.

Wondering if anyone has had the same issue and managed to fix it?

Do you still have your boxed copy installed or did you have it installed when you first installed SE? If you did search for a care post by me about fixing SE so it uses the 100% stock profile directories instead of the side by side install folders. Some planes give a poo poo where these profile folders are.

Edit: I HAVE SPENT FAR TOO MUCH IN THIS poo poo I BOUGHT loving TREES THIS MORNING AND NOW ALL THE A2A STUFF IS ON SALE JESUS CHRIST

EDIT2: gently caress it yolo I bought the Cherokee and Comanche and after doing one flight with the Cherokee I declare it the greatest poo poo ever.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 25, 2015

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I got it working in the end, had to gently caress with some of the fsx.cfg values. This was a download version mind you.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

EDIT2: gently caress it yolo I bought the Cherokee and Comanche and after doing one flight with the Cherokee I declare it the greatest poo poo ever.

i told you bro

i told you about the cherokee

immelman
Oct 6, 2014
Is the a2a Cessna C172 a good way to familiarize yourself with the 172? I don't suppose anyone can compare it to the real thing?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

immelman posted:

Is the a2a Cessna C172 a good way to familiarize yourself with the 172? I don't suppose anyone can compare it to the real thing?

Like the Baron, the default 172 in xplane is actually quite good, I would just use that one.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Forums Terrorist posted:

i told you bro

i told you about the cherokee

Im buying one for FSE as soon as I can afford it oh man it is so wonderful to fly.

So is the Comanche but the Cherokee TBH is more fun.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A quirk about aircraft with their own fuel system (like A2A stuff) is that FSE doesn't seem to automatically set the fuel to the right level like it does with other aircraft. You'll need to set it to the correct starting levels with the A2A fuel manager before starting your FSE flight.

also the cherokee owns, definitely my favorite GA aircraft

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yep, got that covered. I also know that if I decide to time accel at all it throws the fuel burn rate off and I'll have to set the fuel to the correct level before setting the parking brake.

I've already whipped up a little spreadsheet to do the math for me. All I have to do is punch in the burn rate, aircraft speed and distance and how much was in the tank when I took off and I'll know exactly what FSE thinks I should have in the tanks so I can match it up.

Pretty soon I'll be revising it to do weight and cost calculations for me as well.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Does anyone have a Warthog/Target profile for XP10? I just bought it and the entire sim is unbound :negative:

My first experience in the game was flying the SR71, then when I was in some map screen and wanted to turn it off using the "Shut Down" button on the bottom left, and it did exactly that - shut down my entire loving pc. Impressively retarded design.

CmdrSmirnoff fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 25, 2015

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Welcome to X-Plane, may you find comfort in the endless frustration it provides.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

immelman posted:

What kind of familiarization? From a quick look the panel is pretty close to the one I learned to fly in, but there's over 60 years worth of C-172s (excluding the bad days of the mid-80s when all GA production basically stopped due to product liability issues) and dozens of variants. So it might or might not match any given C-172.

If the goal is preparing for real initial flight training, can I suggest maybe... don't? Or at least wait until flight training and talk to your CFI? I've seen the question come up in various online forums, and CFIs have often said sim flying can teach bad habits that have to be unlearned for primary flight training, namely too much dependence on flight instruments vs using visual cues outside the aircraft. When learning to fly or flying VFR your eyes should be outside the aircraft most of the time, flicking down to double check airspeed and altitude, and less often the other instrumentation.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

fordan posted:

flying can teach bad habits that have to be unlearned for primary flight training, namely too much dependence on flight instruments vs using visual cues outside the aircraft. When learning to fly or flying VFR your eyes should be outside the aircraft most of the time, flicking down to double check airspeed and altitude, and less often the other instrumentation.

This. A million times this. My first time at the controls of a real plane was loving horrible because of this and after that flight I completely changed the way I fly sims.

Hell, even basic navigation is different IRL. I jumped on the OrbX stuff after my first flight because after my first cross country I wanted to be able to replicate what we were doing; picking out major roads ponds and radio towers to get around. We didn't tune a VOR the entire flight and I tuned an NDB once because we were going right by it and I wanted to see how one behaves IRL and also use it to make sure we would avoid the charlie just North of it.

immelman
Oct 6, 2014

fordan posted:

What kind of familiarization? From a quick look the panel is pretty close to the one I learned to fly in, but there's over 60 years worth of C-172s (excluding the bad days of the mid-80s when all GA production basically stopped due to product liability issues) and dozens of variants. So it might or might not match any given C-172.

If the goal is preparing for real initial flight training, can I suggest maybe... don't? Or at least wait until flight training and talk to your CFI? I've seen the question come up in various online forums, and CFIs have often said sim flying can teach bad habits that have to be unlearned for primary flight training, namely too much dependence on flight instruments vs using visual cues outside the aircraft. When learning to fly or flying VFR your eyes should be outside the aircraft most of the time, flicking down to double check airspeed and altitude, and less often the other instrumentation.

I'd like to prepare for flight instruction in Spring (although it has been so mild where I am maybe I should have shot for Winter after all).
Naively I guess the hope is to give myself a good start by at least knowing where the controls are and some feel for the aircraft.
It seems from what you say that this idea is very naive, I suppose leaning ATC and communications via something like this would be of some help?
After EvilJoven's post how has your simm flying changed?

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

fordan posted:

What this guy said is true. Flight sims for VFR suck balls because flying a plane in a sim is a totally different than the feel of real life flying. Sim is good for learning procedures and IFR stuff but not much else.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

What this guy said is true. Flight sims for VFR suck balls because flying a plane in a sim is a totally different than the feel of real life flying. Sim is good for learning procedures and IFR stuff but not much else.

Whale out your sim to the nth degree and it also becomes good for navigation practice (once you pay a hundred bucks to finally have the landmarks match up to the charts) workload management planning and with the A2A planes there's now the walk arounds, the 'something sounds funny why is that' aspects and TBH that A2A Cherokee actually behaves a lot closer to an actual for reals airplane than any of the stock ones.

But in the end it's still sitting at a desk with a computer making airplane sounds at you.

immelman
Oct 6, 2014
Thanks for the answers, I've bought the Cessna because it looks interesting and at least I'll learn about a pretend aeroplane this holidays.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

This.

Sims are only good for IFR training and even then has its limitations.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Today I flew from Rovaniemi Airport EFRO, right next to the One True Home of Santa Claus to my home airport of Bristol EGGD to deliver my presents in a loving F-14 because Santa is a naval aviator. Stopped by Rygge (ENRY) in Norway to top up fuel because I can't resist lighting up the engines and was running low.

have some dark screenshots

have a spergy xmas :toot:

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
We've got an FSE forum group now, so we don't have to spam this thread with FSE group specific stuff. Thanks for the suggestion, EJ. Its on approval mode right now just as a sort of pubbie barrier.

Happy holidays, goons.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SoapyTarantula posted:

We've got an FSE forum group now, so we don't have to spam this thread with FSE group specific stuff. Thanks for the suggestion, EJ. Its on approval mode right now just as a sort of pubbie barrier.

Happy holidays, goons.

Just sent my group request! I'm still figuring out the stuff and getting set up for my first FSE flight.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I also sent my request also current goal is to get planes, even rentals, over to CPX4 / CFR5 (CFR5 will be linked once the group is set up) so we have poo poo to fly. I'm already there with a system owned Cherokee.

EDIT: Goal at least for me, if you don't want to play French Canadian bush pilot feel free to do whatever. Still, it's something to do.

Also, because of the lovely 'the FS9 airport DB is the bible and shall not be changed' policy there's an airfield listed as being near CPX4 that doesn't actually exist at that location in anything but FS9. I'm going to build another strip there.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 25, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I can get my Cessna fixed but I'd like to leave it in SoCal so we can pilot edge. If anyone is interested let me know

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ya don't go moving planes from all the way across the country and/or your favorite flying spots just so you can fly out of my little grass strip. Hell, once I have the dough I intend to have a few planes on the west coast and/or Alaska because they make for fun fling.

If you have a plane in a boring place or one you don't fly much please make your way to CPX4/CFR5.

Also, look for jobs heading to CPX4. The more planes that are at least available for rent, the better.

Also, here's a link to my FSX poo poo.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/67w8k2tnvc023/GoonAir

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
I haven't done FSE stuff for a long time but just reinstalled FSX recently and did a flight and didn't crash and burn, so maybe I'll get back into it.

I've got a C182 over in KMSP that I could fly over if that'd help - can I lease to the group? Would that even be helpful?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
It would be very helpful.

Chaindor
Dec 1, 2006
Everyone is doing a good job pointing out the dangers and bad habits that can be developed in sims, but there are some good points. The biggest benefit is in practicing the radios if you plan on flying in or out towered airports. Use VATSIM or a free trial of PilotsEdge to practice talking to fake ATC. You can learn the flow and the preparations, as in write down the ATIS code, rehearse what you are going to say, before you transmit.

To this point the fake LA center group has a good VFR "ratings" program that walks you through radio scripts of what you need to ask ATC, how they are likely to respond, and what you need to read back. http://pilotcerts.laartcc.org/page/ratings.html This material will also get you into the basics of reading charts to navigate larger airports on the ground and using VFR sectionals in the air.

I guess it really boils down to the fact that sims, with the right environment, can be great in teaching you everything that goes in a successful flight except for the part about actually flying the plane. Without the forces on the stick, trimming the plane is very different in the sims. Most joysticks are right handed so you don't get to practice making small control inputs with your left hand, and managing the throttle and other systems with your right hand.

I flew FSX for over a 100hrs before I touched a real plane and loved every second of it. However once I got a taste of real flight and got my license it has been tough to get back into civilian sims.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Chaindor posted:

I flew FSX for over a 100hrs before I touched a real plane and loved every second of it. However once I got a taste of real flight and got my license it has been tough to get back into civilian sims.

For me personally, flying for real only serves to highlight how poor PC simulations still are, despite all their advances. :(

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Keith Smith, the founder of PilotEdge, and a RL private pilot and sim enthusiast, made this presentation about the use of desktop simulators for primary and instrument training.

quote:

PC-based flight simulation has been around for quite a while and has come a very long way, especially with the advances in visuals systems and flight model fidelity. The days of PC’s being relegated to the dusty backrooms of flight schools has long since passed and they’re becoming more prevalent for primary and instrument training.

This presentation will focus on techniques you can use, in conjunction with your real world flight training program, to maximize the utility and value of your PC-based flight simulator at home.

We’ll cover:
- flight control and avionics choices
- flight simulator package options
- visual system options
- what are sims good for? what are their limitations?

http://www.pilotedge.net/workshops/flight-simulation-for-primary-and-instrument-training

It's a bit long, but he covers some good points and is worth a watch for anyone (I'm assuming if you're here you're already flying sims) that wants to start their RL pilot training and wants to know how to take advantage of their sim.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I flew a C208 Caravan up to CPX4 to help out EvilJoven. Made a couple of stops on the way to pick up passengers and god drat it's hard to spot some of this single strip basic runways that are in the middle of loving nowhere and everything is covered in snow. had to fly around one strip about three times before landing. (also I forgot to turn off the speed autopilot which left me wondering wtf was going on for about 10 minutes until I noticed)

I also installed the custom scenery for the airport and it looks nice. is there a good freeware tool for loving around with airports and sceneries? I wouldn't mind sprucing up a local airport that closed down earlier this year, make it my own private airport.

Also bought the Super Cub Ultra complete pack on sale for 13 quid from FSPilotShop :toot:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
The Flight Replicas ones? If that set didn't come with the IFR amphib I highly suggest you get it as well. Its so fun.

If you you don't fly with an FSUIPC immortal battery youll want to install my masteralternatorauto gauge for it or you'll keep draining the battery.

Apparently a huge reason why they're so fun is B Stolle wrote the flight model and apparently he's some sort of savant when it comes to FSX flight models. Even the Carenado planes shine if he's done the FM (the 337 is one of his).

Also agree with you about finding small strips. It's even harder at night if you have OrbX Vector and all the lakes are frozen.

EDIT: I just made my Super Cub C-GMAD rentable. Please don't fill the tanks to 100% or fly it somewhere dumb that doesn't have gas.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 27, 2015

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Keith Smith, the founder of PilotEdge, and a RL private pilot and sim enthusiast, made this presentation about the use of desktop simulators for primary and instrument training.

http://www.pilotedge.net/workshops/flight-simulation-for-primary-and-instrument-training

It's a bit long, but he covers some good points and is worth a watch for anyone (I'm assuming if you're here you're already flying sims) that wants to start their RL pilot training and wants to know how to take advantage of their sim.

As a CFI and sim nerd, with almost 100hrs logged in certified Frasca sims, don't use PC based sims (or even real, loggable sims) for primary training. It teaches you nothing of what you need to know about the fundamentals of flying, and will only teach and reinforce bad habits.

Instrument training yes, primary training hell no.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 27, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
After you get primary training in real aircraft, you can absolutely go back and apply many of the techniques to the sim, though. Things like finding your horizon sight picture out the window, and using that to determine level flight or bank angles instead of gluing your eyes to the instruments.

I actually really enjoy VFR flight in sims, in addition to more procedural instrument flights.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ya despite the fact that I spend so much time flying FSX it's definitely not really the same. It's like someone saying they know how to drive a car and don't need driving lessons because they're good at Euro Truck Simulator 2 (except backing up a trailer, holy poo poo does doing it a lot in ETS2 make it a snap to learn IRL).

That being said I own a real 1/2 ton V8 pickup and most days I'd rather play ETS2 than drive it around.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Sure it's not the same. But it's way easier. I'd rather pour a drink and lounge in my air conditioned office playing pretend airplanes some days.

Driving an hour to the airport to pull out the cessna from the hangar in 100 degree texas heat, then preflight, is a completely different level of commitment and experience.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Ferret King posted:

After you get primary training in real aircraft, you can absolutely go back and apply many of the techniques to the sim, though. Things like finding your horizon sight picture out the window, and using that to determine level flight or bank angles instead of gluing your eyes to the instruments.

I actually really enjoy VFR flight in sims, in addition to more procedural instrument flights.

If your CFI isn't teaching you to keep your head outside and letting you fixate on the instruments during primary training, they're doing you a disservice.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

e.pilot posted:

If your CFI isn't teaching you to keep your head outside and letting you fixate on the instruments during primary training, they're doing you a disservice.

Yes. What did I say different?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Ferret King posted:

Yes. What did I say different?

The way I read your post sounded like you were advocating using the sim to correlate what the instruments were saying vs. what you see out the windows. The sight picture in a sim isn't going to translate to real life very well.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 27, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I was specifically discussing it from the other perspective.

Once taught to find a sight picture out the window in real life, you can find that the same technique works in the sims. And it does.

I don't know why what I said solicited your comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
It wasn't aimed directly at you, more so just the idea/myth that sims are good for primary training. They just aren't.

From my experience, the students that are "big in to sims" can actually be some of the harder students to teach because they think they already know what they're doing, but in reality have just learned a bunch of bad habits and improper techniques. Because primary training is all about how the airplane feels when you're maneuvering it, and outside visual references, two things a sim absolutely does not give you in any meaningful manner.

ymmv

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 27, 2015