Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Merry Christmas goons. Showed my wife that spaceship sale this morning, the look on her face was a Christmas miracle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Are there lightsabers in star citizen?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

ShredsYouSay posted:

It depends, if you put in enough cash for the dream game then your dream lighter will happen

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

fuzzknot posted:

Oh, I got the Animal Farm reference; I was terrified that Lesnick really did say something like that.

. . . He probably has, at some point. :(

Next time you guys come to NYC, I'mma taking you out for a real pizza.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Iglocska posted:

Not sure about that being so bad. I personally know of 6 people in my circle of friends that have pledged for Star Citizen and only 1 has actually tried it out. Most of them bought a small game package and will just try it out when the game is out.

True, one of my friends hasn't checked it out either. I'm probably reading a bit too much into it.

Ash1138 posted:

Yeah I didn't read the package names like that, I read them as marketing fluff. Does Grand Admiral make you a Grand Admiral? No, it's just fluff. I've seen posts where people compare ships by their hardpoint sizes or whatever and it's stupid; it's all bullshit on a website until it's in the game.

No, but Rear Admiral, Vice Admiral, and Grand Admiral were weird packages that delivered basically the same thing at different price points (and thus different levels of prestige). The thing about the stats is true; using them as anything other than something to masturbate over as part of a sperg fantasy is a recipe for disaster. But CIG did say people should buy ships based on their description and not the stats, and a big part of those descriptions was about the intended role in the game. My point was that their entire marketing scheme depended on not selling content but on selling the role instead. The description of the game, the concept art, everything is about putting yourself in the game. For some folks (such as yourself) it was a gimmick. For others it became an escapist fantasy.

Dusty Lens posted:

If it got out (cue Derek saying he has the figures in his magical briefcase) that only 200k people had pledged for Star Citizen that would make for absolutely insane news.

Being said I don't really believe it could possibly be that low. Being said CIG apparently is super thrilled that 8% of their hypothetical enthusiast population wants to play their game. That is a major victory for them and they're extremely proud. With some adjustment for the hollidays that number could range as high as 15%!

If the number of actual backers was closer to 500k that would still be some serious news and would call down some heavy examination of CIG's whale hunting with the price paid per backer would skyrocket. That would make for some really fun articles.

I think 500K is more likely than 200K as well. For example I alone still have ten ships after selling a bunch and you see plenty of posts on RSI about people showing off their "fleet" or listing what they have in their signatures. If you use the old FLJK Kitty Litter Box and assume the numbers are good enough for mild sperging then you have 794 backers with 2054 ships for an average of 2.58 ships per backer. If the numbers are even remotely close to reality then we're talking less than 400,000 backers.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Samizdata posted:

I wouldn't trust him to fund it. The tune posted has nothing even CLOSE to a money parp at :35. Prolly spent all their money/sense on SC.

Try waiting three seconds for airhorns buddy.

What in blazes are you talking about?

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think 500K is more likely than 200K as well. For example I alone still have ten ships after selling a bunch and you see plenty of posts on RSI about people showing off their "fleet" or listing what they have in their signatures. If you use the old FLJK Kitty Litter Box and assume the numbers are good enough for mild sperging then you have 794 backers with 2054 ships for an average of 2.58 ships per backer. If the numbers are even remotely close to reality then we're talking less than 400,000 backers.
Without anyone actually auditing them they can just throw out whatever numbers they want to.

A lot of their crowdfunding revenue could be completely fictitious like, "Let's assume that everyone who visits our site is interested in buying the game. If they click on a $250 ship to look at the description let's just add that to the counter."

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You know I've always focused on the price of the ships but after seeing the modules an their prices it just keeps nailing down how loving insane this whole thing is. For the price of a single module of one of their poo poo ships you could have gotten that life time package of Elite right?

e-Well two. Like the tits and the super colider

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Beexoffel posted:

How can I get in contact with these frogs made of diamond?
I have a brand new Anaconda and a Mostly Harmless combat rank.

Does E:D need a joystick or can you be halfway effective with Keyboard and mouse ? It looks mighty tempting at 19.99 right now..

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

grimcreaper posted:

Too be fair, it would be a totally awesome thing to actually have happen in a space game.

He forgot the part where he got eaten too.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

aleksendr posted:

Does E:D need a joystick or can you be halfway effective with Keyboard and mouse ? It looks mighty tempting at 19.99 right now..

I've seen a lot of people talk about playing with keyboard and mouse and it seems to work for them.

I play it with an XBox 360 controller and it works really well for me.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

aleksendr posted:

I found landing to be a pita w/o a joystick

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

aleksendr posted:

I'm actually more effective with a keyboard and mouse than I am with a joystick but thats probably because I haven't gotten used to it yet. The first few hours feel like absolute poo poo though, because ships actually have a sense of inertia when moving through space and you'll be slamming into everything if you are reckless.

I'm enjoying being a galactic space trucker, but this isn't a game for everyone. Its really a sort of "Make your own fun" and although ship progression seems to be happening pretty fast so far, I'm probably going to run into a content hole once I cant upgrade my ship further.

2DCAT posted:

I found landing to be a pita w/o a joystick

I think thats mostly because how the standard keyboard binds sort of push you into using axis thrust to accelerate and decelerate instead of using short bursts that auto 0 with flight control. So you are constantly overshooting the landing pad.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 24, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
When playing ED I have a Rift on and HOTAS - I mean I don't want to look stupid

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

When playing ED I have a Rift on and HOTAS - I mean I don't want to look stupid

same

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

ShredsYouSay posted:

Not handheld, but as a weapon for melee ships.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the answer to "Is X going to be in the game" is, did you get to ask Chris Roberts if its going to be in the game

if yes, then yes

i dont know if I've ever heard him say no to a feature if he thought it would make him money

right now the PvP community and the PvE community both think its the game of their dreams when it can't possibly be both, but he has pandered enough to both

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

aleksendr posted:

I use an xbox controller and it feels pretty good. you may need to adjust or tweak it a little.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Iglocska posted:

Not handheld, but as a weapon for melee ships.

What it lacks in light sabres it more than makes up for in absolutely being poo poo, dull and bad though to be fair

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Eonwe posted:

the answer to "Is X going to be in the game" is, did you get to ask Chris Roberts if its going to be in the game

if yes, then yes

i dont know if I've ever heard him say no to a feature if he thought it would make him money

right now the PvP community and the PvE community both think its the game of their dreams when it can't possibly be both, but he has pandered enough to both

He's said no a few times, mostly to obscure niche bullshit. Usually what he does is say something vaguely positive but also deflecting. For example "that's a really interesting idea and I could definitely see that being something we consider after launch".

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Zmej posted:

I use an xbox controller and it feels pretty good. you may need to adjust or tweak it a little.

Sold. If i like it i will get Horizon when it get on sale later this year.

Source 2, Here i come !

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
If there are any sleeper goons here with a reasonably low profile account on the RSI forums, here's an experiment to run: Submit ridiculously fine-grained questions to 10 For the Chairman. It seems like literally *any* question about scope creep will get met with "yes of course" - we've gotten birds, we've gotten space news vans, this is absurd. In a community that seems to be extremely hostile to the fact that characters *run around all the time rather than casually walking* - I'm looking for affirmative answers to things like "it's really immersion-breaking to wake up in a helmet and space suit. in the final game can we wake up in space pajamas and buy custom space suits that we can then select from our space closet before leaving our room - and if you try to go outside without a helmet on will you die or will the station simply refuse to open the airlock for you?"

I have a lurking suspicion that Roberts and the whales all have this vision of the mythical final game as literally being so fine grained in simulation that you'll be able to throw individual grains of space rice at each other - and that he'll keep committing/agreeing with ever increasing levels of nonsense like the above if asked directly for the vanity show.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Cuntpunch posted:

If there are any sleeper goons here with a reasonably low profile account on the RSI forums, here's an experiment to run: Submit ridiculously fine-grained questions to 10 For the Chairman. It seems like literally *any* question about scope creep will get met with "yes of course" - we've gotten birds, we've gotten space news vans, this is absurd. In a community that seems to be extremely hostile to the fact that characters *run around all the time rather than casually walking* - I'm looking for affirmative answers to things like "it's really immersion-breaking to wake up in a helmet and space suit. in the final game can we wake up in space pajamas and buy custom space suits that we can then select from our space closet before leaving our room - and if you try to go outside without a helmet on will you die or will the station simply refuse to open the airlock for you?"

I have a lurking suspicion that Roberts and the whales all have this vision of the mythical final game as literally being so fine grained in simulation that you'll be able to throw individual grains of space rice at each other - and that he'll keep committing/agreeing with ever increasing levels of nonsense like the above if asked directly for the vanity show.

I need QTEs for putting clothes on.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Warcabbit posted:

Next time you guys come to NYC, I'mma taking you out for a real pizza.

Bootcha took me to Chicago for pizza. Is that fake pizza?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3y396s/so_i_accidentally_bought_an_idris_p/

How :psyduck:

Edit: Seeing Melkor trying to talk game mechanics with citizens is amazing :allears:

Daztek fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 24, 2015

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
In my short, days long, presence on reddit I've been told that people in one instance (orbit) will be able to see and bomb people in a completely different instance (planet surface). How? Who knows... I've been told that you can't track anyone all over the server to repeatedly grief them because of instances man but that simultaneously it will be trivial to track a bounty/pirate using spy cameras that can follow him through whatever instance he's in. How? Who knows...

I'm going to try a new approach with cultizens, instead of focusing on how terrible CIG is which always devolves into discussions about DS I'll try a more constructive approach of getting them to actually think about the insane gameplay ideas they have, see where those ideias lead and why they'll never work as they imagine them. Maybe if they reach the conclusion by themselves that none of the poo poo that has been promised has been thought through some of them will question the rest. More likely I'll just be downvoted to hell.

e:

Daztek posted:

Edit: Seeing Melkor trying to talk game mechanics with citizens is amazing :allears:
These are my first direct interactions with cultizens outside this thread. I know I shouldn't be so naive but...

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 24, 2015

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

MeLKoR posted:

In my short, days long, presence on reddit I've been told that people in one instance (orbit) will be able to see and bomb people in a completely different instance (planet surface). How? Who knows... I've been told that you can't track anyone all over the server to repeatedly grief them because of instances man but that simultaneously it will be trivial to track a bounty/pirate using spy cameras that can follow him through whatever instance he's in. How? Who knows...

I'm going to try a new approach with cultizens, instead of focusing on how terrible CIG is which always devolves into discussions about DS I'll try a more constructive approach of getting them to actually think about the insane gameplay ideas they have, see where those ideias lead and why they'll never work as they imagine them. Maybe if they reach the conclusion by themselves that none of the poo poo that has been promised has been thought through some of them will question the rest. More likely I'll just be downvoted to hell.

I was reading your boarding thread and I swear they're making up things on the spot.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

aleksendr posted:

I've only played it with a keyboard and mouse. It works fine for trading and exploring, and when I did combat I was able to win without feeling like I was fighting the controls, although I've done less of it than exploring.

CQC might be harder since you'll be fighting other players exclusively who know everything about the flight model, but I've never tried it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Here's a spoiler: A well designed virtual joystick interface (i.e. one that shows mouse cursor, with a slight deadzone near the center so you have the same feedback a joystick would give you) is in no way inferior to an actual joystick, as long as you get used to it.

And getting used to it is a lot easier, too. You probably used a mouse for decades now, but most people don't use joysticks at all. I use both a mouse and a joystick for flying simulators and games often, and it's the same poo poo, just different device.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I think what baffles me the most is that these people seem incapable of thinking outside the box they themselves designed. They are completely unable to grasp the idea that any pirate would kill his victims rather than taking them alive because it would damage their reputation, or that any pilot being boarded would self-destruct and kill everyone even if it costs him more money. They seem to think people will follow an ingame money/reputation cost/benefit chart mechanically instead of having predictable human reactions like "it might cost me more this way but I'll make sure you assholes also lose money in this attack" or "I rather kill everyone on board rather than take like prisoners" (where to???).

All of these dreams are going to face a very harsh reality the minute they face actual human opponents with human motivations that might go beyond increased ingame insurance costs or some such nonsense.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Dapper Dan posted:

Sooo....I know since SA is a comedy site and has issued a decade long probation or two. I think someone got 999 years once, though I might be misremebering things. But it is done here because it is funny and typically on infamous posters.

But why even regularly hand out decades long probation on a gaming community forum? What's the point of doing it on seemingly innocuous posters? Why not just ban the account? The whole point of a decade in Internet jail is because it is funny. If they are using it as some show of '''''power''''' (I was going to put more than 5 quotations but there just aren't enough) than that is the saddest loving poo poo. Almost as sad as wearing a prop from a really lovely movie that no one remembers. But nothing will ever be sad as that.

I have two theories.

Maybe only Ben can authorize a total ban and he's busy eating. He's always busy.

Or perhaps if they ban you it bans you from the game too and then you'd have to get a refund, citizen.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Piece from the Farticle :

A huge milestone towards achieving this goal was the release of Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 earlier this month, with the ability to play in a huge area (the biggest yet in gaming thanks to 64 bit floating point positional coordinates) and offering up all of these exciting options in that world: walking around a space station on foot or boarding a space ship by yourself or with friends… walk around that ship and/or have your friends man various stations while you are flying… fly thousands or even hundreds of thousands of kilometers, engage in ship to ship combat against AI or other players, exit your ship to EVA and explore space stations… engage in FPS combat (on foot or in EVA), rescue stranded players, perform various missions. All of this happens seamlessly without loading screens at a fidelity and scale that has not been seen before in any game.

Can someone confirm how much of this is true? And how much is carefully worded bs?

thanks for the 3 hours of content i guess

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Someone needs to make a youtube video of the points listed in the article and just cut to shots of cr looking confused and angry at his computer trying to get all of it to work.
Crickets in the background and canned laughter.

I have the video editing capability to do this, but someone needs to put together the facts in a sheet and I can edit it all together. I am no game designer, so it would need to be laid out in simple terms.

My Christmas present to all of us.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

If only I had time to turn that blimp into a ship.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Piece from the Farticle :

A huge milestone towards achieving this goal was the release of Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 earlier this month, with the ability to play in a huge area (the biggest yet in gaming thanks to 64 bit floating point positional coordinates) and offering up all of these exciting options in that world: walking around a space station on foot or boarding a space ship by yourself or with friends… walk around that ship and/or have your friends man various stations while you are flying… fly thousands or even hundreds of thousands of kilometers, engage in ship to ship combat against AI or other players, exit your ship to EVA and explore space stations… engage in FPS combat (on foot or in EVA), rescue stranded players, perform various missions. All of this happens seamlessly without loading screens at a fidelity and scale that has not been seen before in any game.

Can someone confirm how much of this is true? And how much is carefully worded bs?

Most of his missive is bollocks.

the biggest yet in gaming

Seamless fps, space, planetary combat has been in Universal Combat (free on Steam btw) since 2004. Including EVA (as a Space Force Marine)

Elite Dangerous currently features the largest gaming world in existence. Second would be my Battlecruiser/Universal Combat games

80,000 backers have explored Crusader in 2.0 in the week since its launch.

yes, he's actually celebrating this. This despite the fact that the actual backers is probably around 300K-500K; but they still refuse to give actual numbers

2.0 shows the naysayers it can be done!

So Chris thinks that the shoddy 2.0 which isn't even 10% of the game promised, "proves it can be done".

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yeah but COD-like AAA games only last 4 to 6 hours a piece!

Star Citizen will last YEARS, primarily cause you have to wait for every last piece of content to be added. And don't forget about Star Citizen's Triple AAA credentials, either!

Or you could buy something like Binding of Isaac and sink about 300 hours into for 15 bucks.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

MeLKoR posted:

I think what baffles me the most is that these people seem incapable of thinking outside the box they themselves designed. They are completely unable to grasp the idea that any pirate would kill his victims rather than taking them alive because it would damage their reputation, or that any pilot being boarded would self-destruct and kill everyone even if it costs him more money. They seem to think people will follow an ingame money/reputation cost/benefit chart mechanically instead of having predictable human reactions like "it might cost me more this way but I'll make sure you assholes also lose money in this attack" or "I rather kill everyone on board rather than take like prisoners" (where to???).

All of these dreams are going to face a very harsh reality the minute they face actual human opponents with human motivations that might go beyond increased ingame insurance costs or some such nonsense.

Because every dingbat who's actually thrown money at this game (no offense to anyone on here, most people on here just seem to be curious/regretful not fanatical) seems to think that when they roleplay a certain way that everyone will roleplay around that and not try and do their own thing.
Because the makers have said yes to basically every stupid suggestion , the people who are invested seem to think their every whim and game idea will be catered to, it's going to be hilarious when absoloutely none of it comes to fruition.
There's going to be a lot of "UGGH YOU'RE NOT PLAYING THE GAME THE RIGHT WAY, STOP IT!" gnashing of teeth.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

merry xmas in the verse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Blazing Ownager posted:

Or you could buy something like Binding of Isaac and sink about 300 hours into for 15 bucks.

Isaac Newton's laws are in Star Citizen. Checkmate :smuggo:

• Locked thread