Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

God forbid she make friends on a team without him

A family that ringers together...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Bootcha posted:

...?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah I've got nothing maybe it's a "subbed once in a" thing I wouldn't understand

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Bootcha posted:

fingers together?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

You rang?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
As a quick aside to ringer/finger-chat: I gotta say, reading the drama and :qq: and hand wringing histrionics on our league's facebook page this morning is just entirely too drat entertaining. And, of course, it's the higher up-division.

The only thing I have to :qq: about right now is no hockey cause of the holidays until Jan 3rd.

edit: I should count how many times the word "class(y)" comes up.
edit2: Six (6) times.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 24, 2015

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Well if you're going to talk about it, you might as well screenshot and share it...

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I did my first rage smash with my stick playing goalie last night. Shouldn't have even been mad since it was a 3 on 1 but gently caress I was getting lit up.

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

communist kangaroo posted:

Hell, I don't even get upset when I do bad

I threw my stick across the ice on Monday night because my my buddy won a faceoff in our zone cleanly and hard enough towards me as the net-side winger that it bounced right off my skate into our own net.

It was absurdly impressive.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nitramster posted:

fingers together?

:stare:

Well I guess I opened it up for that.

I was gonna say "... cellys together."

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Sellouts any hockey this week? I'm in LA til Monday.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Nope. Low level drop in that you would hate is Tuesday. Leagues are down until Jan.

You in town any Wednesday let me know, I can add you to sub roster. It's usually a good skate

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

Nope. Low level drop in that you would hate is Tuesday. Leagues are down until Jan.

You in town any Wednesday let me know, I can add you to sub roster. It's usually a good skate

Leaving before then, maybe next time. Also just remembered I dont have skates down here so Id have to buy new ones.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Boxing Day hockey game and mini holiday tourney today!

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Some dude showed up to the rink parking lot after some games and had about 20 twigs for sale. Got some good deals. Hockey equivalent to buying a ps4 out of a trunk. Anyone else ever have this happen?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

There's someone at my rink who gets sticks "directly from the factory" and sells them for $120 each, including all the new high-end ones. I've gotten a couple and they honestly seem really legit. I think they're the slightly defective ones, because they all say GRIP on them even though both of me are non-grip, because grip is for stupid people.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I've been good friends with a guy I play hockey with since we were 10. For a while he managed the local Perani's, and would occasionally bring a dozen or so sticks to sell. I got a really nice Reebock stick that had the holes in the bottom of the shaft, and a top of the line Bauer Vapor, both of which retailed for like $250 or something, for $100 or so total for both. They both lasted for years, and now I am just using years old economy level Bauers that have lasted a while too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Skated against a junior A level player and his three not quite as good but still ridiculous friends tonight, I know I'm a slow skater but drat that made me feel stationary.

Supposedly he was on the road to the NHL when an injury detailed that, which I could believe because my bench had some pretty decent skill players and even they had no answer for it.

Still fun to skate against, most of my games don't have a lot of high grade passing so you never really get to see the flow because the shot comes and the breakout starts. Was educational to actually defend for a bit.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

paging bewbies to tell us stories about his road to the NHL before injuries washed him out of juniors

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Zip! posted:

Well if you're going to talk about it, you might as well screenshot and share it...

The league/whoever runs the FB page has since deleted it plus it wasn't really that funny. Hell, there's been way better stories in here.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

paging bewbies to tell us stories about his road to the NHL before injuries washed him out of juniors

He'll just say he's not that good...

...then proceed to go bar down on a one-timer.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
HEY I PLAYED JUNIOR B

(farts)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I saw so many bar downs last night I couldn't count them. You see shots like that all the time in the NHL, especially in warmups when they're screwing around, but actually being on the ice watching a dude do it is a great way to feel inferior. He'd be gliding around someone, showing no intentions of shooting, then he'd twist his torso a bit and the puck would explode into the air and plink off the pipe. I can't imagine getting that kind of speed, especially with such an economy of movement.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The crazy thing is, some dude who washed out of junior a is still several galaxies away from the NHL skill level

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

sellouts posted:

The crazy thing is, some dude who washed out of junior a is still several galaxies away from the NHL skill level

This is what really gets me. I consider myself an average player at my adult league level (High E to Low C). There are High C - B beer league players who are an order of magnitude better than I am at the sport in terms of speed, skating, stick handling, shooting, reading the game, etc.

But then there are mediocre junior/college players who are an order of magnitude above THOSE people.

And then average minor league pros are another step up. And then there's the average joe NHL player.

And then NHL star players.

So basically [insert pro super-star of your choice here] is legitimately 100,000x better at the sport than I will ever hope to be. In the face of such talent, I'm occasionally surprised I bother to play at all.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

sellouts posted:

Yeah, I played against some NA3HL players at pickup over the summer who were crazy good (and large) and yet probably not good enough to even sniff the lowest levels of pro hockey.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Any idea what noicing uses for their performance finish snake oil?

"Unlike oils and waxes, we actually grind this special compound into the blade where it bonds with the metal, kind of like a teflon coat. "

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
could be almost anything. titanium nitride and nickel boron are both snake-oily solutions for ar-15 bolt carriers. hell, they may be talking about actual teflon with the hope that on one notices.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I say snakeoil. I ordered it once and didn't notice any difference. I keep getting it because I just say re-order and I'm too lazy to change it.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
i think they call it special sauce to avoid calling it by its real name, rain-x :smug:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I realize it's snake oil but I want to know what they're putting on and how they're grinding it to the blade itself

Also Phil I'm sorry you were the victim of the backhand of my life last night. I will never get off that kind of shot again

KnightProjekt
Aug 14, 2006

I liked the yelp that you made when your scored that. It was a pretty sweet goal.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

yeah i tried to stifle it but it was so loving unexpected i surprised myself

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I gained 8 pounds over the holidays and haven't played in 3 weeks.

I can expect to have the best game ever next week right?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sounds like effective carb loading so you're gonna be playing ten minute shifts like it's nothing.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I think that's also the Kessel physique. Should be good to go.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

sellouts posted:

I realize it's snake oil but I want to know what they're putting on and how they're grinding it to the blade itself

Also Phil I'm sorry you were the victim of the backhand of my life last night. I will never get off that kind of shot again

I feel honored that it skimmed off of my glove.

WEEEEE!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I just skated for the fourth time today and used a stick for the first time. It was amazing and fun and I can't do a crossover to the right at all and can't skate backwards. And my left crossovers can barely be called that. Hockey is hard.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

RC Cola posted:

I just skated for the fourth time today and used a stick for the first time. It was amazing and fun and I can't do a crossover to the right at all and can't skate backwards. And my left crossovers can barely be called that. Hockey is hard.

Practice gliding on one skate, forward and (when you can) back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, one foot glides by far had the best influence on my ability to use edges and build towards crossovers. At first you're mostly going to be doing a straight line down the ice, but the long term goal is to be doing 180 degree loops before switching to the other foot. Forward inside edges will be easiest, then forward outside edges. Backwards inside edges are third and the one that really fucks people up is backwards outside edges. Feels alien but it works.