Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Chemmy posted:

No mention of the fact that lots of young people work outrageous hours.

I love to cook but I work in Silicon Valley. I'm at work ten hours and then spend an hour in traffic some days.

Yeah, I average 10-12 at work most of the time, same for the wife. I prep out food for the week on one of my days off though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Yeah 4-6 hours on Sunday mornings gets the entire house cleaned out, groceries done and food for my wife and I both for the entire week done and stored in the fridge. Usually I can watch football or something while this is going on as well.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I hardly ever spend more than 15min prepping dinner as well, clearly 1 in 5 millennials are actually professional cooks. :smug:

That's actually a really dumb article though.

For the Cheffy Chef game, everyone take a shot.

New page edit:

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Yeah, I average 10-12 at work most of the time, same for the wife. I prep out food for the week on one of my days off though.
Double shot.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Listening to podcasts while cleaning/cooking really upped my kitchen game as well.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ben Nevis posted:

I like that they draw what everything ought to wind up looking like. I feel like the male judge is a dbag though.

The drawings sometimes look tastier than the final product!

The guy can be a d-bag, true. I'm more annoyed by the quirky bespectacled hostess, her schtick gets old quick. There was one moment where she was running around the tent with a mousse and refusing to give it back and it became very uncomfortable after a bit, everyone else was so composed and busy and she was mucking about.

I'm also a huge fan of Mary Berry's Violet Crawley quality, where she's spent so long acting like she's hiding her true feelings that it's become very obvious. Watching her taste a dry sponge cake is the picture of Britain to me. "Oh, it's a bit dry." Yeah, I could tell by the way you twisted your face and smacked your lips a poo poo-ton while feigning detached scrutiny.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I just ordered burrito delivery from a local taqueria.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Croatoan posted:

For the Cheffy Chef game, everyone take a shot.

New page edit:

Double shot.

I agree with shots, huzzah!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Kenning posted:

Listening to podcasts while cleaning/cooking really upped my kitchen game as well.

Guess who has two thumbs and just stumped Dave Arnold on the latest episode of Cooking Issues.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Drink and Fight posted:

I just ordered burrito delivery from a local taqueria.

I'm real jealous right about now

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

I'm more annoyed by the quirky bespectacled hostess, her schtick gets old quick. There was one moment where she was running around the tent with a mousse and refusing to give it back and it became very uncomfortable after a bit, everyone else was so composed and busy and she was mucking about.

She was super fuckin' annoying, yeah. The other on-floor host is tolerable, except for that one bit where she kept trying to fit all the bakers' pasties into her blazer jacket for whatever reason. It was barely mildly amusing the first time she did it...by the sixth, it was cringeworthy.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

The guy can be a d-bag, true.
Yes, but he can tell the microwave degraded the proteins in proofing bread by sight!

quote:

I'm more annoyed by the quirky bespectacled hostess, her schtick gets old quick. There was one moment where she was running around the tent with a mousse and refusing to give it back and it became very uncomfortable after a bit, everyone else was so composed and busy and she was mucking about.
She gets way too into finding silly ways to say bake. I'd assumed the mousse was leftover, but yeah, it was a bit odd. I thought some of the shots of the announcer ladies helping contestants take things out of pans or whatever were interesting. Quite a change from so many cooking contests that seem to want the contestants to fail.

quote:

I'm also a huge fan of Mary Berry's Violet Crawley quality, where she's spent so long acting like she's hiding her true feelings that it's become very obvious. Watching her taste a dry sponge cake is the picture of Britain to me. "Oh, it's a bit dry." Yeah, I could tell by the way you twisted your face and smacked your lips a poo poo-ton while feigning detached scrutiny.

Yeah, definitely like Mary.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Hauki posted:

I'm real jealous right about now

It was delicious.

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

Bake Off is pretty great although I could also do with less antics from the two hosts.

I actually enjoy the Bake Off Masterclass episodes more. It's just Paul and Mary baking (well, TV baking) and it's adorable.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
One of the hosts in the UK one is unremarkable, the other is annoying. The male judge is kind of a dick and Mary seems nice.

There was just a 4-episode US holiday special, with different hosts (Nia Vardalos and her husband, Ian Gomez). They are okay. There's a different male judge who is a little less of a dick. Mary remains as the other judge and she's still nice. Overall the level of technical ability among the contestants seemed lower.

Quite enjoyed both, in case it sounds otherwise.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Whaaaat?! Must be a cultural thing. Mel and Sue (the presenters) are much loved here for their antics, including by me. And the judges are great! Paul's not a dick, he's just got high standards and he isn't prepared to soft- soap them.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Anything that can be described as antics leaves me pretty cold

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Brawnfire posted:

Japery?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Brawnfire posted:

With a British TV presenter if they're not spewing a racist rant or diddling children you count yourself lucky.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
As with American politicians.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Happy Hat posted:

As with American politicians.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
My wife and I have been watching Top Chef. It's really nice to watch a competition show where the contestants are competent and enjoying themselves.

The main judge, Padma, is the loving worst, though. A dish towel emotes more than her.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
She is my celebrity wife you take that back

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I like the UK Masterchef (professionals) - it's Top Chef minus the reality TV "drama".

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Our Trump is better than your Trump.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

sweat poteto posted:

I like the UK Masterchef (professionals) - it's Top Chef minus the reality TV "drama".

Yeah, we watch that too. It's really good.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Nsfw that poo poo dude

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Kenning posted:

Can you recommend some?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hardcore History is a good one for that. I also really like 99% Invisible, This Is Criminal, and of course This American Life. Oh, and the Savage Lovecast. Hearing about people's hilarious relationship problems somehow just makes the dishes fly by.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Hardcore History owns. The last one about Cyrus the Great was really good.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Ancient world warfare and statecraft is cool as gently caress, but I think he'll need to get another couple episodes into Kings of Kings before the narrative straightens out. I think Wrath of the Khans is the best bit he's done so far.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Listen to Cooking Issues, you nerds

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

++ Dave Arnold is bar none the most entertaining person to listen to in the cooking world

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

sweat poteto posted:

I have been watching the current season and must agree. Compared to other competition shows, the level of respect among the competitors and between them and the judges was really great to see. The episodes where they cook in other chef's restaurants were pretty cool and added some real 'drama' (thinking of the guy who got the shakes real bad when plating a finicky dessert).

Hopper posted:

Can you recommend some?

Sanft & Sorgfältig, Radiolab, Death Sex & Money, Freakonomics and all the ones already mentioned, esp this ->

Casu Marzu posted:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/cooking-issues/id380317598?mt=2

It's really, really good. I wish Dave Arnold would clone himself so he could also update his blog again.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Force de Fappe posted:

Nsfw that poo poo dude

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm a big fan of the Marketplace show on NPR, and they have a really nice app that streams all the shows as podcasts.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
I got this from the PYF quote thread.

Danger Mahoney posted:

I like chili, but golly it's too spicy. Better replace any real spices with cinnamon, cloves, sugar, and chocolate. The closer to tepid pudding the better. Mmm mm the only thing that could make it better is plain spaghetti noodles.

OctoberBlues posted:

This must be what it feels like to be triggered.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Whatever. Cincinnati chili is pretty delicious.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

The Midniter posted:

except for that one bit where she kept trying to fit all the bakers' pasties into her blazer jacket for whatever reason.

:stare:

Is this a typo, or have I been drastically misinformed as to what kind of show this is?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Captain Bravo posted:

:stare:

Is this a typo, or have I been drastically misinformed as to what kind of show this is?

A pasty is a form of pie, if you were unaware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Whatever. Cincinnati chili is pretty delicious.

It's always seemed really gross to me, but I've never had the real thing, so who am I to judge?

feedmegin posted:

A pasty is a form of pie, if you were unaware.

Only in jolly old England.

Here they look like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasties

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 27, 2015