Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This does the job, thanks! It doesn't drop the converted file in the source directory, but other than that it is pretty brainless and you can just drag-and-drop files onto it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Xabi posted:

Back with the family for the holidays and here there's an old Macbook with an optical drive. What's the easiest way to rip an old DVD? I've never done it, but I'm somewhat capable with computers. It's an old private (not xxx) movie so ripping is the only way for me to get it in a more modern format.

Alternative to handbrake: If it's not copy protected you can use plain old Finder.app to copy the contents out. Apple's DVD Player app will happily play back from a DVD's VIDEO_TS folder regardless of whether said folder resides on a physical DVD disc.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…speaking of which, trusty old Fair Mount seems to have bit the bucket (again) with the advent of El Cap and SIP. Does anyone know if this can be fixed (preferably without messing with SIP) and/or if there is a more contemporary replacement for the app?

Googling around has so far only yielded a lot of talk about how to get HandBrake up and running with a moved/reinstalled libdvdcss, but without any indication that it'll work for Fair Mount too, it just seems like a lot of wasted effort.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I don't know if this is the best thread to ask this in, but is there a current version of Something Awful Last Read for Safari? I use Chrome in Windows and work just gave me a Macbook and I'm considering switching to Safari, but my extensions. :(

Mr. Motivator
Apr 17, 2005
I am displeased
Anyone successfully using any Mad Catz mouse with OS X El Capitan? Their lack of drivers for the OS has left me staying with Yosemite (and my RAT 7) until it's guaranteed to work. Some people reporting mixed success....

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Mr. Motivator posted:

Anyone successfully using any Mad Catz mouse with OS X El Capitan? Their lack of drivers for the OS has left me staying with Yosemite (and my RAT 7) until it's guaranteed to work. Some people reporting mixed success....

Is there anything that actually works in El Capitan!?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

64bit_Dophins posted:

The UI is smooth on my 2011 Mac mini without needing to go to the accessibility prefs to turn on increased contrast and reduce transparency!

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer
I used to get kernel panics regularly until updating to El Capitan. Now they're gone completely. I am a very satisfied upgrader. :)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

And while we're discussing sudden issues, my Mail.app has apparently stopped giving notifications out of nowhere. Fiddling with the notification settings has had no effect, same with all manners of restarts and attempts at adding/removing accounts (since some googling ended up suggesting this).

It was literally from one day to the next — it works, and now it doesn't. :shrug:

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

64bit_Dophins posted:

No.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Tippis posted:

And while we're discussing sudden issues, my Mail.app has apparently stopped giving notifications out of nowhere. Fiddling with the notification settings has had no effect, same with all manners of restarts and attempts at adding/removing accounts (since some googling ended up suggesting this).

It was literally from one day to the next — it works, and now it doesn't. :shrug:

Are you closing Mail.app (command-Q) instead of leaving it running as a process? Only thing I can think of.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Fistful of Silence posted:

I used to get kernel panics regularly until updating to El Capitan. Now they're gone completely. I am a very satisfied upgrader. :)

What model you using?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Tippis posted:

I had intermittent issues like this and ended up just making a smart mailbox called "notify" with rules to include new messages from my accounts. Been working fine that way.

e:

Phoenixan fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 25, 2015

tokyosexwale
Jan 27, 2008
I'm having issues with Preview pinging the cpu at 100% when trying to view a certain PDF. It freezes and stutters constantly as I try to scroll through it. Strangely, if I view the same PDF file by hitting spacebar in the Finder it scrolls and loads with zero problems and no performance issues. How is that possible? Do they use different PDF rendering engines?

Edit: Sorry, I should mention I'm on 10.10.5

tokyosexwale fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 25, 2015

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

tokyosexwale posted:

I'm having issues with Preview pinging the cpu at 100% when trying to view a certain PDF. It freezes and stutters constantly as I try to scroll through it. Strangely, if I view the same PDF file by hitting spacebar in the Finder it scrolls and loads with zero problems and no performance issues. How is that possible? Do they use different PDF rendering engines?

Edit: Sorry, I should mention I'm on 10.10.5

I've had the same problem. Usually if I quit preview and start it again I stop having CPU issues even with the same PDF.
I'm using the same version of OSX as well.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Tippis posted:

Is it a google account? Because one of my google accounts (a university one, but just one of the two I have) just stopped increasing the badge count in the dock icon and the inbox list (sometimes) once I upgraded. It actually does slide in a notification, but that's only useful if I'm already at the computer when it comes in. I've never really figured out how to fix it, though.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Everyone in this thread should purchase a Surface Book and switch to Windows immediately.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Phoenixan posted:

I had intermittent issues like this and ended up just making a smart mailbox called "notify" with rules to include new messages from my accounts. Been working fine that way.

e:

Thanks. This was my setup too, and now that I looked, it seems like the smart mailbox had simply stopped detecting new mail for some reason and I hadn't noticed until you made me look in that direction. That's a weird annoyance in itself, but nuking it and recreating it got everything back to where it should be.

Zenostein posted:

Is it a google account? Because one of my google accounts (a university one, but just one of the two I have) just stopped increasing the badge count in the dock icon and the inbox list (sometimes) once I upgraded. It actually does slide in a notification, but that's only useful if I'm already at the computer when it comes in. I've never really figured out how to fix it, though.

It's a mix, and all are (or were) affected. I'm not above blaming google for somehow making my old smart mailbox flake out, though. :D

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I seem to recall the smart mailbox's condition changing from "any" to "all" when El Capitan first came out. So that's a weird little thing to check on if it breaks again.

Glad you got it sorted!

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

What model you using?

MBP, Retina 2012. Not all of my crashes were kernel panics (a lot were), so actually it fixed more than that even. I thought for sure my MBP was just hosed up but upgrading to El Capitan really surprised me by fixing all my regular crashes.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Does anyone know how to upgrade OpenSSL / pyOpenSSL to anything above 0.13.1 on OS X El Capitan?

I've tried every iteration of pip install pyOpenSSL --upgrade , nothing gets me past 0.13.1

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

sellouts posted:

Does anyone know how to upgrade OpenSSL / pyOpenSSL to anything above 0.13.1 on OS X El Capitan?

I've tried every iteration of pip install pyOpenSSL --upgrade , nothing gets me past 0.13.1

It's bad form to touch the python OS X ships with, as Xcode and some other stuff use the same Python and might have package version dependencies. Install home brew, install Python through homebrew, install virtualenv, then try upgrading the homebrew python's pay OpenSSL.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Any suggestions for Microsoft Visio equivalent that would work on whatever is the latest OS X on a few years old iMac? Should be (at most) inexpensive, and reasonably usable for someone who has used only Visio before. It's needed to plan garden's layout.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

kalstrams posted:

Any suggestions for Microsoft Visio equivalent that would work on whatever is the latest OS X on a few years old iMac? Should be (at most) inexpensive, and reasonably usable for someone who has used only Visio before. It's needed to plan garden's layout.

If that's all you're using it for, someone posted this earlier in (i think) this thread https://www.draw.io

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kaizoku posted:

If that's all you're using it for, someone posted this earlier in (i think) this thread https://www.draw.io
Oh, looks interesting. I'll see if my father can work with the way the sizes work in there.

E: Tinkered around it, and it's pretty bad if you are not after diagrams.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 27, 2015

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Omnigraffle is the standard but isn't cheap; although I think it's competitive with Visio's price. There's a timed trial.

https://www.omnigroup.com/omnigraffle

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I found QCAD a few hours ago, and it seems to be doing the trick for dad.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

carry on then posted:

Omnigraffle is the standard but isn't cheap; although I think it's competitive with Visio's price. There's a timed trial.

https://www.omnigroup.com/omnigraffle

The Pro version is the one to get for full compatibility it's definitely not cheap (about the same range as Visio, as you said). I use it for work a lot, so I got my company to buy it for me.

I don't know if they make an OS X version, but I used to use Tech Draw on the iPad. It worked well for banging out quick and dirty diagrams that were Visio compatible. It was fairly cheap too, if I remember correctly.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

uninterrupted posted:

It's bad form to touch the python OS X ships with, as Xcode and some other stuff use the same Python and might have package version dependencies. Install home brew, install Python through homebrew, install virtualenv, then try upgrading the homebrew python's pay OpenSSL.

I just wanted to say thanks, I bit the bullet and did a full format then installed exactly this way and got everything working better than ever.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
brew is pretty great, it's always been almost-painless for me aside from the annoyance of still needing separate nvm/rvm/pyenv/whatever sometimes for specific projects.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Any way to lockout OS X built-in VNC access after X attempts?

Some piece of poo poo brute forced their way into my machine over the course of 6 days. The only way I found it was reading through old console logs.

Or is the alternative just to do something like TeamViewer? Just wish I had a more minimal client than TeamViewer.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

benisntfunny posted:

Any way to lockout OS X built-in VNC access after X attempts?

Some piece of poo poo brute forced their way into my machine over the course of 6 days. The only way I found it was reading through old console logs.

Or is the alternative just to do something like TeamViewer? Just wish I had a more minimal client than TeamViewer.

I'll admit up front that I have a vested interest, but there aren't really many options with the built-in VNC server. RealVNC server has blacklisting options and you should be able to use whichever client you currently use.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Might consider disallowing VNC access outside your local network and run a VPN on another device.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Xir posted:

Might consider disallowing VNC access outside your local network and run a VPN on another device.

I'm not aware of that being an option of the built-in client. Mac-Mac connections can be handled fine because I can allow for username/password combination but the VNC option is password only. Nothing I can see about "and only from local".

I have a VPN setup already. Honestly that solution is less than ideal. I'd rather find something that was 2-factor or allowed for better control over access attempts... 2 and you're out until unlocked type of thing. Something like Fail2ban for screensharingd

Oh and just for fun. Here's some screen captures of the fun that took place on my machine.

Caused fraud alerts on every single credit card tied to my amazon account. Causing them to cancel those cards and reissue everything. Pretty happy I've never added my debit card to Amazon. Merry Christmas to me.

Honestly I feel pretty stupid for even using the built-in VNC server now.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are you just opening a VNC port to the outside world on your internet router?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah. That's not a great idea.

If you absolutely have to do remote GUI over the Internet, then I'd look at using an SSH tunnel for remote desktop communications.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah, this is what I was getting at. As these two posters pointed out, exposing VNC is a bad idea. As you discovered.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

flosofl posted:

If you absolutely have to do remote GUI over the Internet, then I'd look at using an SSH tunnel for remote desktop communications.

Then they can brute force the SSH server. But that is probably easier to secure than the VNC server. I use fail2ban to keep out brute force stuff. I run it on a Linux box, but apparently it can work with OS X, too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just use TeamViewer and I'm pretty happy with how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

CygnusTM posted:

Then they can brute force the SSH server. But that is probably easier to secure than the VNC server. I use fail2ban to keep out brute force stuff. I run it on a Linux box, but apparently it can work with OS X, too.

For SSH, disable password authentication and use a key pair. If somebody can brute force that, you might as well give up, because they're getting in no matter what you do.