Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

redbackground posted:

There was one comic, not by the big 2, with a female superhero who was in exactly that kind of situation. I want to say it was voluntary...?

You are remembering the thing I am trying to remember!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

prefect posted:

I could swear I saw a couple of pages posted about just that thing in one of the panel-posting threads.

Boy, that's a helpful piece of information I just posted. :cripes:

Sounds like Strong Female Protagonist, which was posted in the Badass Panels Thread.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

redbackground posted:

There was one comic, not by the big 2, with a female superhero who was in exactly that kind of situation. I want to say it was voluntary...?
Strong Female Protagonist, where the regnerator (named Feral) volunteered for it because she figured it was the best way she could use her powers to help the world.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Dazzler was also harvested for Mutant Growth Hormone.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Harvesting super organs is the U-Men's whole shtick.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Die Laughing posted:

It was Empowered I think.

No, it wasn't.

I think it was Strong Female Protagonist.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Hey BSS. I'm slowly catching up with Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers. Can someone tell me if all the dangling plot threads are going to be resolved by the end of his run? Or is it going to be a Lost-type deal where a lot of things get forgotten about? I'll probably keep reading either way but I'd rather know in advance, y'know?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sailor Viy posted:

Hey BSS. I'm slowly catching up with Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers. Can someone tell me if all the dangling plot threads are going to be resolved by the end of his run? Or is it going to be a Lost-type deal where a lot of things get forgotten about? I'll probably keep reading either way but I'd rather know in advance, y'know?

Hickman would break out in hives if he left something unresolved. He has charts and graphs and lists, and that would throw the whole system off!

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Pretty much everything gets wrapped up in that or in Secret Wars. Specifically, New Avengers #33 is a monster plot/exposition dump that explains most of the concepts that should've been explained dozens of issues earlier.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Sailor Viy posted:

I'm trying to think of something that is just dropped cold turkey annnnnnnnd outside of wishing POD got her own series, I can't think of anything.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

redbackground posted:

I'm trying to think of something that is just dropped cold turkey annnnnnnnd outside of wishing POD got her own series, I can't think of anything.

POD is in the new, New Avengers.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Not really a plot point but aside from one fight Hickman really dropped that thing with the army of Shang-Chis, huh? Figured they might've turned up in the final incursion somewhere.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TwoPair posted:

Not really a plot point but aside from one fight Hickman really dropped that thing with the army of Shang-Chis, huh? Figured they might've turned up in the final incursion somewhere.

I'm pretty sure that got picked up in Avengers World, at least.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

I'm pretty sure that got picked up in Avengers World, at least.

It was but the book was not good and borderline worthless.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

POD is in the new, New Avengers.

I said her own series :colbert:

pod rules

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I remember reading some Ultimate X-Men comics where, I think, Trask's son turned into a full on religious zealot and decided all mutants must die as god demanded it. What other story's are there where some dude decides that he is a messenger from god and tries to take out all mutants/heroes/humans etc..?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ultragonk posted:

I remember reading some Ultimate X-Men comics where, I think, Trask's son turned into a full on religious zealot and decided all mutants must die as god demanded it. What other story's are there where some dude decides that he is a messenger from god and tries to take out all mutants/heroes/humans etc..?

God loves man kills

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
That is the entire gimmick of the Purifiers, look them up pretty much all over the place but most famously in God Loves, Man Kills.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks for that, it sounds like exactly what I was looking for. Also what's the best Apocalypse storyline?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ultragonk posted:

Thanks for that, it sounds like exactly what I was looking for. Also what's the best Apocalypse storyline?

Age of Apocalypse.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Age of Apocalypse.

Cool, thought that might be it. Hope Marvel Unlimited has all the issues that it covers.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Ultragonk posted:

Cool, thought that might be it. Hope Marvel Unlimited has all the issues that it covers.

Check out this reading order for it. I don't know how much it matters to follow the issue order specifically, but start with Alpha and end with Omega (duh) and skip everything that they put in the first TPB until you read everything else first (Marvel royally hosed up collecting in chronological order instead of published order).

http://www.comicbookherald.com/the-complete-marvel-reading-order-guide/age-of-apocalypse-reading-order/

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Uthor posted:

Check out this reading order for it. I don't know how much it matters to follow the issue order specifically, but start with Alpha and end with Omega (duh) and skip everything that they put in the first TPB until you read everything else first (Marvel royally hosed up collecting in chronological order instead of published order).

http://www.comicbookherald.com/the-complete-marvel-reading-order-guide/age-of-apocalypse-reading-order/

Thanks a lot.

Also while looking up X-Men comics I came across X-Men Phoenix Legacy of Fire and I have one question. What the hell?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Ultragonk posted:

Thanks a lot.

Also while looking up X-Men comics I came across X-Men Phoenix Legacy of Fire and I have one question. What the hell?
Look man if you're going to balk at every bad comic book with X-Men on the cover you're gonna have a real bad time.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Look man if you're going to balk at every bad comic book with X-Men on the cover you're gonna have a real bad time.

Ha ha, I was taken aback, I've never though that what the X-Men need is a slightly more anime look and less clothes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Xenogenesis has some awesomely horrible art too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Just ignore any X-men with Chuck Austen as the writer

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Just ignore any X-men with Chuck Austen as the writer

Or Byrne.

Or Lobdell.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rhyno posted:

Or Byrne.

Or Lobdell.

Was it Lobdell who wrote, what was it, I think the story was titled "Eve of Destruction" with the entirely ersatz X-team going to Genosha? I actually kind of dug that story, even if it was nakedly filler.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Or Byrne.

Or Lobdell.

Lobdell did have that awesome issue of cannonball vs gladiator

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Was it Lobdell who wrote, what was it, I think the story was titled "Eve of Destruction" with the entirely ersatz X-team going to Genosha? I actually kind of dug that story, even if it was nakedly filler.

Hell if I remember. Lobdell was so good at not following up on hit plots he should've written a Star Wars film.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

Generally just read all #1s, then all #2s, then all #3s in whatever, but I think there's some plot points that shuffle between the #4 issues as they lead up to the big fight in X-Men Omega.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

Or Byrne.

Or Lobdell.

Lobdell's X-Men stuff was at least just forgettable, and not what he's doing today.

Generation X was mostly written by Lobdell and it's mostly fantastic.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Ultragonk posted:

That's kind of the sub plot to Secret Invastion, isn't it? The Skrull god (who loves you) is demanding the death of all earthlings.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Travis343 posted:

Lobdell's X-Men stuff was at least just forgettable, and not what he's doing today.

Generation X was mostly written by Lobdell and it's mostly fantastic.

Eh, it was okay but hasn't aged well.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Ultragonk posted:

I dunno. It was during a time they were trying to dip their toes in that manga style, and for some reason let loose Ryan Kinnaird on a book, and then for some reason didn't shelve it, and then for some reason actually published it, and then for some reason comics stores ordered it. If you're up for some sameface figurines wearing bodypaint and posing for three issues and having a remarkably tenuous relation to anything Marvel, I guess that'll fill that bodypillow-shaped hole in your heart.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

That's kind of the sub plot to Secret Invastion, isn't it? The Skrull god (who loves you) is demanding the death of all earthlings.

Was it? It was after the ultimatum wave killed a bunch of people. Kitty Pryde ends up leading the X-Men and I think that storyline ends in the "United We Stand" storyline but don't quote me on that part.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CzarChasm posted:

I think the Skull god was demanding the subjugation of earthlings, not extermination.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I just read the first issue of Batman & Robin Eternal that I got for free during the Comixology Xmas thing, and Bluebird's appearance, plus the Azrael talk in the Bat-thread had me wondering about other sidekicks and partners that seemed like a big deal at the time but had little staying power (hope I'm wrong about Harper, but I doubt it, honestly). What are some interesting ones? People's favourites? Didn't Mark Gruenwald try and create a distaff counterpart for Captain America?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Harold, the mute hunchback genius mechanic that built the Batmobiles is the first that comes to mind. I know he's not a sidekick really but they tried really hard to make him a thing for a long time. And then he got his body fixed or something?