Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

GoodBee posted:

I know mixing poo poo willy-nilly isn't a good idea but I've pretty considered this pen ruined after I filled it with Noodler's Empire Red and the little window got all discolored. I don't know if there's really anything I could do to it to make it absolutely unusable anyway.

I did the same thing with mine with Year of the Golden Pig and it bums me out that it stained so badly, but sometimes looks neat when I put a red ink in it and it looks green through the plastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

GoodBee posted:

I know mixing poo poo willy-nilly isn't a good idea but I've pretty considered this pen ruined after I filled it with Noodler's Empire Red and the little window got all discolored. I don't know if there's really anything I could do to it to make it absolutely unusable anyway.

As long as you're not mixing different types of ink (ex. Iron Gall w/ non-IG) you generally won't have many problems.

Also, red inks tend to stain worse than other colours.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Argh I'm pretty upset that my pen I sent out to get custom work done on just will not come back to me. Sent it out in July, finally got the nib worked on, shipped back but got lost/missorted and shipping was delayed a week, attempted delivery today but because for whatever reason the apartment number was not on the package, it was not delivered and is going back to the sender. It sucks rear end and given how lovely USPS has been lately I don't know if I will get it back within a reasonable amount of time.

It's also the pen I got for my graduation so I'm pretty upset.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

MystOpportunity posted:

Looking to buy my first new pen in a few years– have a Safari, Twsbi 540, Noodlers Ahab, and a Cross Affinity (received as a gift). Considering making my first jump to a higher price bracket (maybe 80-130$) and was considering the Lamy 2k because I thought it was considered a great staple of that price range, but see a few mixed reviews of it. Any recommendations for/against?

The sweet spot isn't nearly as narrow as some people make it out to be, but I'd still reccommend trying one in person.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

MystOpportunity posted:

Looking to buy my first new pen in a few years– have a Safari, Twsbi 540, Noodlers Ahab, and a Cross Affinity (received as a gift). Considering making my first jump to a higher price bracket (maybe 80-130$) and was considering the Lamy 2k because I thought it was considered a great staple of that price range, but see a few mixed reviews of it. Any recommendations for/against?

I've had my 2000 for 15 years or so now. I have a lot of pens but it's still at the top of my favorites, and is never uninked. The nibs have a definite sweet spot, but it's something you adapt to very quickly. It was my daily carry pen for years and years. I got into a car wreck with it in my pocket, which led to a series of problems (cracked section immediately, then a crack in the ink window, then the piston -- which had been fractured in the accident, apparently, got broken) but it's all working quite well now, and Lamy did all the work under their lifetime warranty. (I should say that the warranty is now for two years.)

I think it's an excellent "next-step" pen -- classy, nice to hold, and inexpensive for a gold-nibbed pen.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Vp arrived and wow this is a nice pen

Filling it's a pain though and I don't like the way you literally can't tell how full you got the converter, guess I'll try refilling cartridges like everyone recommends

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Does anyone who refills cartridges actually transport refilled carts? I just carry new sealed ones if I need ink when I'm out since I gotta empty them out to get new ones to refill at some point anyway, but I read a bunch of threads on FPN where people talked about all the various methods they used to seal cartridges up for transport (hot glue seemed to be the most common).

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Everything Burrito posted:

Does anyone who refills cartridges actually transport refilled carts? I just carry new sealed ones if I need ink when I'm out since I gotta empty them out to get new ones to refill at some point anyway, but I read a bunch of threads on FPN where people talked about all the various methods they used to seal cartridges up for transport (hot glue seemed to be the most common).

I do but I use pilot cartridges and use a chopstick to push the circular disc back into the cartridge. Store them in a plastic bag with a tissue in it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Ah Noodlers. You never know what you're going to get, like a nib bent so horribly out of shape that one of the tines was actually on top of the other.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

grack posted:

Ah Noodlers. You never know what you're going to get, like a nib bent so horribly out of shape that one of the tines was actually on top of the other.

This.

I'm 0/2 on Noodler's pens. In fact, both had that exact flaw. I'd actually like my Ahab with aftermarket EF nib if my coworkers couldn't smell it from the next office over.

What stupid pen thing should I buy myself for Christmas, goons? I'm leaning towards another shiny snorkel or maybe an INK 2.0. The thing is, if I purchased the new INK it would have to be all copper. If it's all copper, I will have to find a nib I like that is either grey, black, or plated with a not-gold warm metal. This hobby sucks.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I got one of the acrylic Konrads and it doesn't really smell at all which is nice. The nib thing sucks but I had a spare Levenger #6 floating around so that's what's in there now. Otherwise I'm pretty impressed with the pen - a quick heat set of the feed and it writes pretty well.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Edit: I r dumbass

grack fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 18, 2015

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Got myself a Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black through eBay as a "Christmas present" to myself. I really love how the matte finish feels, and the broad nib is the perfect line for me. It's a shame Sailor doesn't make the Pro Gear like a quarter of an inch longer. Of course you can :justpost: but I don't want to scuff the finish.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
scuff it, a pristine pen is an unloved pen

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I did something super pen-nerdy

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I helped a friend order a pen (retro pilot metro) as a gift and now I'm going to help that same friend pick out a pilot metro for themselves.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

grack posted:

I did something super pen-nerdy

that would look pretty slick if you painted them

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Everything Burrito posted:

that would look pretty slick if you painted them

And it wouldn't even be that hard. Just hit it a couple of times with a rattle can so things are even and it's good to go. Neat!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
My $1 Jinhao 450 came in on Friday. It's absolutely perfect: has no cosmetic damage, writes like a dream (it's an 8 nib size, which I guess is equivalent to an M?), and the converter is in perfect state and fits extremely well too (for that price I expected it to be converter-less or having a crappy one, I'm looking at you Amazon-bought Jinhao 159). Best dollar I've ever spent.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Diamine inks are friggin cool

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Syrah/Apple Glory supremacy.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I got ASA Blue and Ancient Copper in today, now I need something for my Dolcevita

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
I got to unbox my pilot vanishing point tonight and a nice bottle of diamine purple pizazz... Which I proceeded to dump on myself. Luckily that poo poo is water soluble. And skin stains comes off with caustic potash!

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

grack posted:

Diamine inks are friggin cool

Remora posted:

Syrah/Apple Glory supremacy.

After playing with Goulet's Ink Drop for most of a year, Diamine has come out on top as my favorite. To that end, the Syrah is the only full bottle of ink I've actually purchased!

Switching gears: I'm looking for a nice dark grey, black, or blue to use in my Lamy Al-Star with an F and maybe EF nib. I will typically be using it for work, so whatever I go with needs to behave well on typical crappy copy paper. I would prefer to avoid Noodler's inks as I've not had great experiences with them in the past, and heard they don't play nicely with Lamy pen feeds, but I can still experiment. Any suggestions?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

So I got a TWSBI Eco for christmas, and filled it up with some noodler's Liberty Elysium.

Writes great! Hopefully it lasts.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I got a Prera in Fine and it is everything I have ever wanted out of a Fine nib! Plus it's just about the same size as my Pelikan M2xx, so it's just about useable unposted. Not that posting it is a problem — it posts nice and securely, and the way the capband is constructed, I'm not terribly concerned about it cracking or anything.

(Colors seem slightly desaturated in the scan, but I can't really be bothered to fiddle with them — PdL is a bit darker, and the Varsity's less red and more lavender in person, I think)

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

After playing with Goulet's Ink Drop for most of a year, Diamine has come out on top as my favorite. To that end, the Syrah is the only full bottle of ink I've actually purchased!

Switching gears: I'm looking for a nice dark grey, black, or blue to use in my Lamy Al-Star with an F and maybe EF nib. I will typically be using it for work, so whatever I go with needs to behave well on typical crappy copy paper. I would prefer to avoid Noodler's inks as I've not had great experiences with them in the past, and heard they don't play nicely with Lamy pen feeds, but I can still experiment. Any suggestions?

The Lamy feeds thing, if I remember correctly, was mostly for pens ca. 2008, and also largely — but probably not entirely — Baystate Blue related. Of course, the only not-funny-looking blue-blacks I use are Noodler's (and the Quink that dries blue, green, or somewhere in-between, depending on moon phase), so while I will say that Contract/Legal Blue/Legal Lapis are nice (and bulletproof!), that mightn't help. I've had plenty of joy using J. Herbin's inks in my Safari, so one of their blues or blacks will probably do you right. I also rather like this Pilot Black — I have a bottle, but haven't opened it yet. However, the cartridge ink (which I assume is the same) is maybe kinda grey-ish, but it's also black-black, not blue-ish or purple-ish or whatever. I've also used Quink Black (cartridges, again) and it was a perfectly good Black ink — it might've even been somewhat water-resistant.

I think that the blackest-black, Noodler's aside, is usually Aurora, if that's something you'd want to try out.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Waterman and Diamine probably have the best behaved inks on the markets. Waterman Serenity Blue is pretty much the default "works on everything" suggestion.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
kon-peki is the gold standard of blues imo

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Verdigris from Rohrer & Klinger is my favorite color of all time. It's a blue/green/black (more blue than green IMO but some disagree) that looks amazing and handles well on all the paper I've ever tried it on. It's my everyday color for taking notes in school, so it gets a lot of use.

http://www.gouletpens.com/rohrer-klingner-verdigris-50ml-bottled-fountain-pen-ink/p/RK40505050

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer

If you can get your hands on it, Sailor Bung Box 4B is the only dark blue/blue-black I've ever liked. If you're feeling more risqué though, Iroshizuku Kon-Peki, Sailor Bung Box Sapphire, and Sailor Yama-Dori (probably the darkest of the bunch) are all great choices and very pretty.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Noctone posted:

kon-peki is the gold standard of blues imo

true words

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Thanks for the suggestions! And thanks Zenostein for clearing up the Noodler's stuff. I'll look at all the inks you guys mentioned and see if anything strikes my fancy.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Swagger Dagger posted:

Verdigris from Rohrer & Klinger is my favorite color of all time. It's a blue/green/black (more blue than green IMO but some disagree) that looks amazing and handles well on all the paper I've ever tried it on. It's my everyday color for taking notes in school, so it gets a lot of use.

http://www.gouletpens.com/rohrer-klingner-verdigris-50ml-bottled-fountain-pen-ink/p/RK40505050

If you want Verdigris but teal instead of blue, try Noodler's Squeteague or Sailor Yama-dori.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Where can I get some good stationary? Preferably custom, but anything nice will do. and I'd like A5. I was thinking about trying out Goulet's Crown Mill stuff.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

QuantumNinja posted:

Where can I get some good stationary? Preferably custom, but anything nice will do. and I'd like A5. I was thinking about trying out Goulet's Crown Mill stuff.

http://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/webstore/main/paper-c-293.html?language=en

They have a wide selection and you might be able to find a shop closer? Either way, my personal fav is http://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/webstore/main/clairefontaine-triomphe-p-2285.html

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So this ink talk has lead me to starting to make up an order on Jetpens, and I'm looking at buying the Iroshizoku mini-ink C, which is Ama-iro, Fuyu-gaki, and Syu-ro. I think I know what I'm going to hear, but how are those as inks?

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Tulip posted:

So this ink talk has lead me to starting to make up an order on Jetpens, and I'm looking at buying the Iroshizoku mini-ink C, which is Ama-iro, Fuyu-gaki, and Syu-ro. I think I know what I'm going to hear, but how are those as inks?

My go-to ink is Iroshizoku Kon-Peki; it's miles above any 10-dollar bottle of Noddlers. It's hard for me to go back.

E: I got some Emerald of Chivor as a present, and it's beautiful and awesome, too! It doesn't write as smooth, but it looks amazing.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 30, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tulip posted:

Can't speak for the other two but Ama-Iro is a lovely sky/sea blue.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Kon-peki is the only bottle of ink I've bought. Everything else has been samples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
Thanks to this thread I put a Pilot Metropolitan on my Amazon wishlist for Christmas, and what do you know somebody bought me one. I've never used a fountain pen before but now I love it and don't want to go back. As a way of giving back to the thread, I found this yesterday and it seems like a pretty good deal if you have Prime.