Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Who ever told me that double AMS is bad was way wrong. Standing next to someone and nullifying rockets is fun

double? pshhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNf8nCeDaEE

triple is where it's at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
This has been a good week. Lots of ineffective LRM comp opponents and I'm pretty sure I've cored more backs in three days than I have in any other month of play. With a few exceptions, I'm not sure there's really a group that can win against a goon group once it gets into brawling range.

Of course this means that brawling will be nerfed imminently.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 24, 2015

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I'm on mumble right now if anyone wants to group to shoot robots.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

Vorenus posted:

This has been a good week. Lots of ineffective LRM comp opponents and I'm pretty sure I've cored more backs in three days than I have in any other month of play. With a few exceptions, I'm not sure there's really a group that can win against a goon group once it gets into brawling range.

Of course this means that brawling will be nerfed imminently.

Depends on the map. Alpine Peaks is a dick in the face to brawlers, and Tourmaline is hit or miss with it, depending on where you decide to pick a fight.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Best loadout I've spectated today.

Pattonesque posted:

not enough build-shaming in that pic

He died before I could shame him...that laser killed him basically as soon as I clicked over to him. I barely had time to get the screen cap.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 24, 2015

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Devorum posted:

not enough build-shaming in that pic

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Heres this awesome I saw yesterday

It all came down to a cicada vs him 1v1, he was shot in the face/butt and dieded.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Why are they so bad.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

What do these people do with the extra weight :psyduck:

Like I remember our group yesterday being confused enough by that incredibly inept Raven, but seeing that poo poo on assaults is mind-boggling.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Oh Snapple! posted:

Like I remember our group yesterday being confused enough by that incredibly inept Raven, but seeing that poo poo on assaults is mind-boggling.

The best is when they have almost nothing equipped and then it turns out they have an XL engine. The only thing I can think is is that theyre trying to boat single heat sinks.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Oh Snapple! posted:

That pubbies melt down at the end was great though.

"Why are you running away? You need to engage the match is about to end and he is out of Gauss ammo."

"NO DAD, YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP! YOURE LIKE A BACKSEAT DRIVER AND poo poo!!!"

*Match end in draw

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Added myself to the WoL signup spreadsheet

Christmas Eve and all but maybe someone will be online around the same time as me, will idle a bit in-game while I cook dinner.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Bait and Swatch posted:

"Why are you running away? You need to engage the match is about to end and he is out of Gauss ammo."

"NO DAD, YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP! YOURE LIKE A BACKSEAT DRIVER AND poo poo!!!"

*Match end in draw

The best part was the perfectly stereotypical angry teenager voice.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Devorum posted:

He died before I could shame him...that laser killed him basically as soon as I clicked over to him. I barely had time to get the screen cap.

I kinda miss the Your Robot Sucks articles. :allears:

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Added myself as well

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Anticheese posted:

I kinda miss the Your Robot Sucks articles. :allears:

They'd be harder these days because of quirks. Like before I could go 'this dude is trying for this sort of thing but it doesn't work because x', but now it's more 'this dude is trying for this because he's an idiot who can't read'.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Oh, for sure. There are still a number of barely quirked Clan robots that sometimes see suspect builds, but even then there's not much that's outright heinous so much as just inadvisable. But hey, this is a BattleTech thread. It's made for nostalgia. :v:

Merry christmas, fil.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Hi goons, it was fun playing with/against you guys last night. One of those matches finally got me that Centurion so yay? :confuoot:

-Losing With Style

Bait and Swatch posted:

*Match end in draw

Ahahaha, did that really happen? :allears:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Drakes posted:

Heres this awesome I saw yesterday

It all came down to a cicada vs him 1v1, he was shot in the face/butt and dieded.

I had a match earlier where the last guy standing on our team was a Mad Dog with 6 LRM 5's.

Unrelated: I'm grinding out my Urbies finally, and it occurred to me that they should get a different skill in the place of Twist X or whatever. What a waste of 2,500 XP.

My first match back in my LPL, 3 ML Urbie went pretty well, I think.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Devorum posted:

I had a match earlier where the last guy standing on our team was a Mad Dog with 6 LRM 5's.

Unrelated: I'm grinding out my Urbies finally, and it occurred to me that they should get a different skill in the place of Twist X or whatever. What a waste of 2,500 XP.

My first match back in my LPL, 3 ML Urbie went pretty well, I think.

Well, other than the fact that LRMs are bad, that's how you LRM that particular mad dog.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

glad the pub community is still salty about everything and tries to act tacticool on comms.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
Welp, I got stupid and bought that Heavy Steam bundle. I don't super enjoy the 3 LPL Thunderbolt, but oh my, Timberwolf with a 30% C-Bill boost and spooky paint job? :getin:

The C-Bills, month of premium time and enough MC for another 30 days don't hurt either I guess.

I think I'm gonna swap out the torso omnipods and run 4x LRM 15's on the dang thing for one match, just because clan lrm's look so loving cool. It's okay though, I'll totally bring a backup weapon system (one small laser) to make it viable :v:

edit: nooope, not spending the 2.3 million C-Bills for a one-off goof.

Rocketpriest fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 24, 2015

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

A.o.D. posted:

Well, other than the fact that LRMs are bad, that's how you LRM that particular mad dog.

LRMs are generally bad, but if you're in tier 4 or 5 holy poo poo you can just print money and xp with them. I'm grinding gift bags right now with a king crab sporting 3 LRM15s with Artemis. Low level pubbies seriously just dont' know how to take cover. A bad match is one where I get 400 damage done, which is more than eneough for some cbills, xp, and a stocking.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I bought my second Cauldy and loaded it out with 2 LRM15s and 5 ER mediums, it does some good work in pub games.

Now to save up for the third :shepicide:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

:cripes:

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

:cripes:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:commissar:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
:shrek:

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014

Rocketpriest posted:

edit: nooope, not spending the 2.3 million C-Bills for a one-off goof.

This is what sucks about the game (well, from the "just starting to play" standpoint). I want to customize a few robots to try things and have fun, but to do so I need to spend a lot of real money or grind away forever in trial mechs or the single good mech I could afford after the tutorial. Too much grind, not enough ability to actually try stupid loadouts (ie, have fun), because I can't afford to refit.

I have a firestarter and 10 million credits after two weeks of play. I am hesitant to spend the credits because if I gently caress up and buy something I don't like then it will be another two weeks before I can try again. That isn't fun.

Stomping around with goons isn't half bad though.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

JacksAngryBiome posted:

This is what sucks about the game (well, from the "just starting to play" standpoint). I want to customize a few robots to try things and have fun, but to do so I need to spend a lot of real money or grind away forever in trial mechs or the single good mech I could afford after the tutorial. Too much grind, not enough ability to actually try stupid loadouts (ie, have fun), because I can't afford to refit.

I have a firestarter and 10 million credits after two weeks of play. I am hesitant to spend the credits because if I gently caress up and buy something I don't like then it will be another two weeks before I can try again. That isn't fun.

I only played for a few hours today, mostly in a crappy Shadow Hawk to finish out my Masteries, and made four million c-bills not counting the Stocking Stuffing ( which alone paid for my new Ebon Jaguar ). Just play with goons and don't pay attention to the grind and you'll be swimming in money before you know it.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

JacksAngryBiome posted:

One thing that can save you money when starting out is only holding on to a few common engines (like a STD 260, 280 and 300) and shuffling them around to the mechs you're actually going to be using. Floggin off stock engines can save you a couple hundred thousand and reusing the one you have means you don't have to blow a few million on another engine that will spend 99% of its time sitting idle.

10 million is enough to buy and fit a good Centurion, Hunchback or Thunderbolt and still leave you enough to experiment with weapon loadouts with them. The three of these can run well with the common engines and the Thunderbolts come stock with a Std 260 you can throw in your mediums.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

It would still be great if C-bill earnings were tweaked up some more. Getting only ~150k on a decent-good match, then comparing it to the costs of everything else, makes for a terrible grind. :smith:

Since a lot of MWO's appeal is tinkering with your darling robots, the fact that every `Mech is a costly investment kind of kills any motivation to play around instead of sticking to "safe" meta builds.

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 25, 2015

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Pooncha posted:

Since a lot of MWO's appeal is tinkering with your darling robots, the fact that every `Mech is a costly investment kind of kills any motivation to play around instead of sticking to "safe" meta builds.

Not really. Use a mechlab program or website, make something vaguely workable, then go use it. Unless you are dead-set on being another insufferable statlord for this thread (or) in tier 1 and somehow only ever facing other high-effort tier 1 players, you'll be able to find enough success to have fun with just about anything. Look at all the posts lately from people enjoying Urbies. Pubbies are bad and anything that can do any damage will work against them.

Sard fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 25, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I love Conquest but oh man, playing it with randoms is awful. I see so many light mechs just run past completely undefended points. Capture it! you can do that, it takes a few seconds. We could win if you'd just park there long enough to stop them from getting points.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Conquest is way better than the other modes since theres more variety to how you can handle it, and it generally resolves quicker than the 15 minute timer if people get too campy.

I think the dumbest thing I see people do is having half the team capping a point when you just need a single fella and the rest can advance onwards.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
It also makes matches shorter because usually people gravitate to cap points or are between them. You don't just get people randomly scattered about the map unless your team is winning and you're down to like two guys. Nothing is worse than a deathmatch game where you can't find the last half of the enemy team because they're all tiny light mechs hiding, trying to draw out the fight.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Does anyone know how radar deprivation interacts with target retention?

I'm sure it's terrible but I'm curious anyway.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Sard posted:

Not really. Use a mechlab program or website, make something vaguely workable, then go use it. Unless you are dead-set on being another insufferable statlord for this thread (or) in tier 1 and somehow only ever facing other high-effort tier 1 players, you'll be able to find enough success to have fun with just about anything. Look at all the posts lately from people enjoying Urbies. Pubbies are bad and anything that can do any damage will work against them.

Is there even anyone at tier 1?

You do have a point and I suppose my issue is just a personal thing, as I liked playing with robots to see what works, sometimes. Some layouts work, some don't, and climbing back to a financially alright state after experimenting was a pain in the butt since I don't like to poopsock often. Maybe that's why I'm never loaded with money. :v:

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 25, 2015

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

TheParadigm posted:

Does anyone know how radar deprivation interacts with target retention?

I'm sure it's terrible but I'm curious anyway.

Target retention allows you to maintain a lock on someone with radar deprivation for only as long as the target lock bonus time is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Nuebot posted:

Nothing is worse than a deathmatch game where you can't find the last half of the enemy team because they're all tiny light mechs hiding, trying to draw out the fight.

What if you're in a tiny little Death's Knell and your arms were shot off?

AND the other team are full of really bad shooterpeople that can't hit you when you run through them 20+ times?

I consider this a-okay.

• Locked thread