Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

consensus is: its good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Thanks to whoever it was that was raving about Invisible Inc. in here, this is a really cool game.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Dungeon of the Endless is more tower defense than roguelike imo.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Unormal posted:

I like all of you people even the ones who think FTL is all rng. Happy Holidays!
FTL is RNG, doo dah, doo dah
win or lose roll 1d3, all the doo dah day

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Dammit, now I want to spend my short winter vacation on trying to build a Metroid roguelike again
It's what winter breaks are made for! Make roguelikes!

I love this thread and am openly sappy about it. Who'd have thunk a sweatmoist hive of goons would hide a magical repository of roguelike knowledge, for players, hobbyists, and developers... and no one is a giant piece of poo poo! Amen.

:siren:Merry Crushmas:siren:
It's a holiday in Dungeonmans so get to crushing those monsters!*

*please content update work correctly

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

madjackmcmad posted:

I love this thread and am openly sappy about it. Who'd have thunk a sweatmoist hive of goons would hide a magical repository of roguelike knowledge, for players, hobbyists, and developers... and no one is a giant piece of poo poo! Amen.

QUIT KILLING MY MANS

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Please keep killing my mans :3:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I sent Zombie Samurai a copy of Caves of Qud, and I'm pretty sure everyone else who posted here is also sorted out at this point. Check your PMs if you have PMs, because rather than rely on steam's terrible messaging app I used those in a few cases. There are more keys to be given away and lots more people posted lists so... yeah free games that I really want to give away to people.

The link to the games list is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cLU51h82dxdYWoJFRsKG7ghymXMra3Ehu5dJdjZ_Em8

Merry Christmas roguelike players

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

dmans sproggiwood and coq just sitting there? get on that people!

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I want fallen enchantress but i cant remember if i have it already

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Awesome! posted:

dmans sproggiwood and coq just sitting there? get on that people!

Because everyone in this thread is a self-respecting roguelike player and owns those games already! Except for me. I don't have Dungeonmans, though I've been interested in it for a while. I'll gladly accept it if me not having PMs isn't too much of a hassle. Merry Christmas everybody!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Not me, I beat all you guys by not even having a steam account. Ha, yes it's the illusive Linux era gamer who remembers games "on disc" and got them through mythical things called bbs and shareware

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Jordan7hm posted:

I sent Zombie Samurai a copy of Caves of Qud, and I'm pretty sure everyone else who posted here is also sorted out at this point. Check your PMs if you have PMs, because rather than rely on steam's terrible messaging app I used those in a few cases. There are more keys to be given away and lots more people posted lists so... yeah free games that I really want to give away to people.

The link to the games list is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cLU51h82dxdYWoJFRsKG7ghymXMra3Ehu5dJdjZ_Em8

I would like Caves of Qud and Dungeonmans if you could.

Oh right, my list!

10.Teleglitch (Can only play it for a short time before eye strain, would rate higher if there was a way to fix it)
9. Nethack
8. DCSS
7. Powder (Nice to play on a modified PSP, too bad the guy hasn't updated that version in forever)
6. Brogue
5. Necrodancer
4. FTL
3. DoomRL
2. Dungeons of Dredmor
1. Elona (I've played it by far the most for whatever reason)

Honorable mention to Sproggiwood cause I haven't played it too much yet. I got the Android version for my SO who loves it though.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 25, 2015

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

madjackmcmad posted:

Not complaining, but no go on the holiday.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Not me. Once again, not complaining, just FYI.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Just PM me some random games :3

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Jordan7hm posted:

I guess I'll take the Endless Space if you insist. Which reminds me I should play Dungeon of the Endless more. Actually wait, how complicated a 4X is Endless Space? Cause I can't really get into micromanagement heavy ones, if its got too much micromanagement, probably better to safe it for someone who'd enjoy that more.

Looking forward to the finished RL list, and how far my darling Armoured Commander is on the totem pole. :v:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Everything Zincland has done. So many neat ideas.
DoomRL
ADOM
Crawl
Caves
Dredmor
TOME
Binding of Isaac
FTL
Risk of Rain

Top 3 seem set, rest are random.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

really liking renowned explorers. give it a look before the sale ends

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
If there's a still a Sproggiwood in the giveaway I'll take it. Should I just PM you my steam id?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Welp, the Holiday worked for my Mans. Had to verify files first, though.

Guybro Dudeson
May 24, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

really want to give away to people.

Well, if you really want to... Could I have Sproggiwood and Sword of the Stars: The Pit - Gold Edition?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

How is Renowned Explorers compared to the Curious Expedition?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

Not me, I beat all you guys by not even having a steam account. Ha, yes it's the illusive Linux era gamer who remembers games "on disc" and got them through mythical things called bbs and shareware
I too remember when games came on discs.

Dark days. Dark days.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

How is Renowned Explorers compared to the Curious Expedition?

They're very different. Curious Expedition is all about resource management and map exploring, trying to find crazy artifacts and escape with full pockets while your sanity slowly disappears. Renowned Explorers is more of a exploring-coloured FTL with tactical battles and another, more strategic macro level where you spend your resources to increase stats. They're both good, although I prefer Curious Expedition as i found it more unique and more focused on exploration itself rather than tactical battles.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Resources in Renowned Explorers reminds me of specializing in Civ. You always get science, but you pick some stuff and now you get extra science for each barbarian face you smash. You always get study, but you pick some stuff and now you get extra study for succeeding on naturalist checks or whatever. By the end you've specialized so much you're getting an order of magnitude more poo poo than someone who hasn't.

Also merry Christmas!

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

Mercury_Storm posted:

10.Teleglitch (Can only play it for a short time before eye strain, would rate higher if there was a way to fix it)

I don't know whether you tried this yet, but if it's eye strain because the environments are so dark, you could go to Settings and turn off Lighting. Despite the name, this actually turns the brightness of the game way up because the game won't draw shadows anymore.

You could also mess around with turning off dynamic zooming or camera rotation, which could also help.

I definitely agree that it can be a bit of an eyestrain aesthetic.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
I haven't played nearly as many roguelikes as most in this thread, but the ones that stand out to me are:

Dungeonmans - This has the perfect combination of a slick UI, solid mechanics, and a great world / atmosphere to encourage more dungeoning. It's not one of the old classics but it's the roguelike I've had the most fun with for sure.

Demon - I love me some SMT and this hits the spot. Having your allies be AI controlled is a little annoying, but I wish there were more roguelikes with this kind of party building.

Caves of Qud - I spent ages making mutants in Oblivion's character editor, but Qud lets you actually play as the mutated adventurer you imagine. Making clones, shooting eye lasers, and pecking people are just the tip of the iceberg, which is great because I spent a lot of time dying and making new characters.

Brogue - Brogue appeals to me because it's such a streamlined approach to roguelikes but it has everything that makes them fun. All of my complaints about Pixel Dungeon are addressed here, but there's no Android version.

Nethack - For all of its flaws, Nethack made clear to me the allure of the roguelike- a ridiculous number of item interactions that I never would have thought of, complete unpredictability, and a game that truly does not give a gently caress about the player.

Pixel Dungeon - It's not really a thread favorite, but it's a solid poop-break roguelike that has just enough depth to keep me coming back. I really need to try some of the forks, though, because it gets old pretty fast.

I'm still relatively new to the genre but I have been gradually making the transition from RPGs to roguelikes in my free time. If you're still doing the giveaway, could I grab Fallen Enchantress, and Dark Scavenger? Steam profile is here.

DeathBySpoon fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 25, 2015

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Leylite posted:

I don't know whether you tried this yet, but if it's eye strain because the environments are so dark, you could go to Settings and turn off Lighting. Despite the name, this actually turns the brightness of the game way up because the game won't draw shadows anymore.

You could also mess around with turning off dynamic zooming or camera rotation, which could also help.

I definitely agree that it can be a bit of an eyestrain aesthetic.

It doesn't really help much, it's something to do with the jiterryness of the graphics and the colors. The game Hotline Miami has a similar problem, but it's even worse and I couldn't play it for more than a couple minutes.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Jordan7hm posted:

hey could i get SanctuaryRPG and Gone Home?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Quick question about Dungeonmans, can this game be played in a fullscreen borderless window? I'm basically just looking for an excuse not to buy it at this point, but it's been tempting me for a while now ugh.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Im_Special posted:

Quick question about Dungeonmans, can this game be played in a fullscreen borderless window? I'm basically just looking for an excuse not to buy it at this point, but it's been tempting me for a while now ugh.

It cannot! You can play in full screen, or a bordered window as big as your screen, but not a fullscreen borderless window. Go play a better game.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

madjackmcmad posted:

It cannot! You can play in full screen, or a bordered window as big as your screen, but not a fullscreen borderless window. Go play a better game.

Speaking of which, off to play a crappy game.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I recommend Dredmor. Less memes

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I just got a slightly used Tab 4. Are there any good android roguelikes? I've already beaten Sproggiwood and savage mode scares me so I'm pretty much done there, and I have Hoplite already on my phone.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C
Just a little ASCII overkill before bed...

You won't ever find this in game, so I thought I'd share it now. Full size: http://i.imgur.com/1cnkkyp.gif

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

alarumklok posted:

I just got a slightly used Tab 4. Are there any good android roguelikes? I've already beaten Sproggiwood and savage mode scares me so I'm pretty much done there, and I have Hoplite already on my phone.

Try Cardinal Quest 2. It's free with some dumb IAP that you can completely ignore.

Or the original Cardinal Quest, though I don't know how well it works on tablets vs phones.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

madjackmcmad posted:

Can I request this as an option for a future patch maybe? Or that you look into it if it's at least viable to do.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Kyzrati posted:

You won't ever find this in game,
That's a mistake!

Im_Special posted:

Can I request this as an option for a future patch maybe?
You certainly can. In fact I think you just did.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

madjackmcmad posted:

That's a mistake!

I second the motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I was honestly surprised you didn't end it by killing yourself. Because that would happen with a chain-rocket launcher. :v: