Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Gologle posted:

I can't loving get Zona Seeker from the Auction House and it's pissing me off. Literally every other thing you can get has appeared, and I've bought them. I'm carrying around like 20 Angel Wings and poo poo. It never took this long before.

Why are you buying the other stuff? That has nothing to do with its appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Gamer superstition, you know how it is.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Try holding Up + B when the auctioneer's about to announce the next item.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'm glad Choco-boco-lina will help save XV by bringing some of that XIII charm over.

If it comes to that I'm canceling my preorder

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sinners Sandwich posted:

It's baby chocolina AKA Frocobo from before she fell into a time vortex and started haunting nightmares.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sinners Sandwich posted:

chocolina owns

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Did Lightning Returns have a dedicated thread when it came out, or was all the discussion confined in here?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

There was a dedicated thread. I posted in it once for whatever reason, I think.

And Chocolina is cool. She's my second favorite video game merchant, after THE Merchant from RE4.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 26, 2015

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD
https://www.instagram.com/p/_uutvxq4WB/

Happy christmas!? :stare:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Did Lightning Returns have a dedicated thread when it came out, or was all the discussion confined in here?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3608747

Yeah, I made a thread for it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They are throwing a whole nother layer of poo poo in new game+ with this upgrade thing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Try holding Up + B when the auctioneer's about to announce the next item.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lightning is real, it's a Christmas miracle!

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

I can't wait to dress up as Lightning.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Your username has seldom been less appropriate. But nah, strangely, I got Zona Seeker immediately after that post. That's the longest it's ever taken me; nearly two hours in the Auction House and grinding for gil.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Fanartist didn't even get Sasuke's eyes right smdh.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Tempo 119 posted:

Seems like nitpicking tbh

Seems like a stupid loving game. What is the plot of FFXIII again?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Seems like a stupid loving game. What is the plot of FFXIII again?

The Machine Gods are actually slaves and they want a L'Cie to destroy Cocoon so daddy comes back and they can stop throwing a tantrum, except the humans do it and then through sheer force of will, or whatever you want to call it, they save the day anyway.

You know, until XIII-2 retcons it 30 minutes in.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Artix posted:

The Machine Gods are actually slaves and they want a L'Cie to destroy Cocoon so daddy comes back and they can stop throwing a tantrum, except the humans do it and then through sheer force of will, or whatever you want to call it, they save the day anyway.

You know, until XIII-2 retcons it 30 minutes in.
Retcon nothing, the FF13 trilogy is actually a very progressive metanarrative about how deus ex machina ruins everything and only Lightning is constant.

FF13 is about how you can't escape destiny, and 13-2 is about how you can escape destiny but it doesn't matter, and LR is about how Lightning is cool enough to do whatever.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

zedprime posted:

Retcon nothing, the FF13 trilogy is actually a very progressive metanarrative about how deus ex machina ruins everything and only Lightning is constant.

FF13 is about how you can't escape destiny, and 13-2 is about how you can escape destiny but it doesn't matter, and LR is about how Lightning is cool enough to do whatever.

Pretty sure it's all a prequel to some Japanese guy banging a character he created in Paris.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

I really hope SE rolls with this and if Lightning appears in any other games, she's her usual stoic self while also secretly being a fashionista.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Is it just me or is the story in Final Fantasy XIII-2 kind of...terrible? I mean, I kind of dug Final Fantasy XIII's story for whatever reason, but XIII-2 essentially throws that out a hour into the loving game. And the time travel stuff is absolutely nonsense, I'm about to beat the game and I have noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo loving idea why Sazh and Snow are time travelers yet Hope had to build a time capsule or whatever the gently caress. Noel's story is kind of interesting but is ruined by Caius being the worst thing ever. And why are Lightning and Serah saviors and have magic eye powers? Because a goddess decided they were the ones? Ugh, this game has absolutely no idea what it's doing story wise at all.

The gameplay is pretty fun though! Please tell me Lightning Returns' story is not nearly as dumb as this one, because this is honestly the worst Final Fantasy story I've ever witnessed...worse than 8 (lol orphanage) and X-2. Hell, it's probably one of the worst video game stories I've ever experienced.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Thank you Square-Enix for making Lightning return once again. :allears:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Kirios posted:

Is it just me or is the story in Final Fantasy XIII-2 kind of...terrible? I mean, I kind of dug Final Fantasy XIII's story for whatever reason, but XIII-2 essentially throws that out a hour into the loving game. And the time travel stuff is absolutely nonsense, I'm about to beat the game and I have noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo loving idea why Sazh and Snow are time travelers yet Hope had to build a time capsule or whatever the gently caress. Noel's story is kind of interesting but is ruined by Caius being the worst thing ever. And why are Lightning and Serah saviors and have magic eye powers? Because a goddess decided they were the ones? Ugh, this game has absolutely no idea what it's doing story wise at all.

The gameplay is pretty fun though! Please tell me Lightning Returns' story is not nearly as dumb as this one, because this is honestly the worst Final Fantasy story I've ever witnessed...worse than 8 (lol orphanage) and X-2. Hell, it's probably one of the worst video game stories I've ever experienced.

Snow can time travel because he's a L'Cie and that's all the explanation you're going to get. Sazh is...soooooort of explained in his DLC. Kind of. If you squint real hard. As for Lightning and Serah, yeah, it really just is that Etro arbitrarily chose them.

And LR? Man, you haven't seen anything yet if you think XIII-2 is dumb. I mean, it's dumb in a good way, but it escalates things in the only way it knows how, which is making things bigger, flashier, and dumber.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Lr has a worse story in having 10 pages of plot spread over 40 hours because tri-ace had like a year to make the game. People who tell you information are surprised when you repeat it back to them.

Hope never, ever shuts up with his monotone voice. Ever.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
LR is hands down the most retarded poo poo in the world

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's fun though

Isn't that all that matters

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kirios posted:

anytime the FF-13 trilogy comes up you may notice that no-one is defending the story, and if you don't well, that's on you bud

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I like that 13-2 is about time travel because they can have a song where someone just screams TIME AND SPACE for a bit

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Historia Crux might be the best song in the trilogy. It's not, but it could have been. The actual best song is Crazy Chocobo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
LR's plot is stupid, but for me it was entertainingly so - I like the concepts behind the world-building a lot even if the game didn't adequately follow up on them, there were moments when the voice actors got to actually convey emotion for a change (Snow's boss fight comes to mind), and the entire end sequence is just this technicolor retardation festival that perfectly caps off the weird, shambling saga that FFXIII had become.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Did someone say FF13? I love the music in those games.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

mandatory lesbian posted:

anytime the FF-13 trilogy comes up you may notice that no-one is defending the story, and if you don't well, that's on you bud

"Well, you see, Etro's Gate is behind Orphan the whole time, and this has lore significance because BLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH"

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What's the story with world if final Fantasy or whatever they're calling it?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

What's the story with world if final Fantasy or whatever they're calling it?

It is going to be extremely cute

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

They both lost their memories.

The battle mechanics sound interesting if nothing else

http://gematsu.com/2015/12/world-final-fantasy-characters-mirages-detailed

quote:

-Players will walk alongside the Mirage monsters they befriend in the fields, as well as be able to ride the bigger Mirages. You can discover treasures, get past obstacles blocking the way, and more. By riding bigger Mirages, you might be able to move around more quickly than walking normally. You can freely get on and off Mirages.

-Lann and Reynn have a mysterious power dwelling in each of their arms that lets them befriend Mirages. By weakening a Mirage encountered in battle, it’s possible to “Gemify” the Mirage. When you Gemify a mirage, you can befriend them and have them fight alongside you in battle. You can also freely rename the Mirages you befriend

-Uses ATB System

-Players can stack Mirages on top of each other. Doing this will unite their individual abilities, power them up, and unlock various abilities. Alternatively, you can also fight unstacked. This allows each Mirage to act independently, increasing their number of actions and making Action Points easier to accumulate.

-The size of the protagonists and Mirages are important when it comes to stacking. From the bottom up, you need to stack Large, Medium, and Small sizes. When big, the protagonists are a Large size, and when small, they’re a Medium size.

-While they can’t be used as party members in battles, Lann and Reynn can summon Mega Mirages, ultra powerful Mirages, during battle by using Action Points. When you summon a Mega Mirage, the other party members temporarily withdraw, and the Mega Mirage will remain in battle until Lann and Reynn’s Action Points are used up. The same Mega Mirage can only be summoned once per battle.

-By fighting enough in battle, your Mirages can transform and evolve. This is called “Henshinka” in the game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Oh no, it's totally Pokemon.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
pokemon is good so i'm cool with final fantasy pokemon, much like i was cool with it when it was FF13-2

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kirios posted:

Time Travel never makes sense. I accepted that long ago. Also I just re-watched the Shadows of Destiny Wrongpurae.

Also I don't think Lightning has magic eye powers or she'd be dead like Serah.

And worse than FFVIII? Let's not say things we will regret.

But you're right, XIII probably had a better story. It's just that XIII, while having the most potential, squandered a lot of it. XIII-2 is much more..."realized." It is what it is. So I kinda like XIII-2's more just because it wasn't as disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

pokemon is good so i'm cool with final fantasy pokemon, much like i was cool with it when it was FF13-2

The best thing about XIII-2 is the combat and the Pokemon aspects of it. Despite the complaints I have about the story it's actually a fun game to play...so I wouldn't call it a bad game. It just has a story that makes absolutely no sense and ruins anything good XIII's story had going with it (which yes, you had to read a lot of documentation to get most of it...but it wasn't bad!)

Edit:

NikkolasKing posted:

And worse than FFVIII? Let's not say things we will regret.

I have never finished FFVIII despite getting to the final dungeon because of how stupid that orphanage scene is and the amount of hoops it has to go through to make that "work." Once as a teenager, and once as an adult I have put the controller down and stopped playing right after it.

Edit 2: The actual best part of XIII-2 is Crazy Chocobo, my bad.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 26, 2015