Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

TWIST FIST posted:

Youpi owns, Pouf is the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

was pouf the butterfly one? every time his theme started playing my mind would instantly start thinking of the princess's secret slide song from mario 64

Ms. Unsmiley fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 27, 2015

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Youpi is the most underappreciated royal guard.

How is he underapprciated?

Like, everyone with a brain knows that it's Pitou -> Youpi -> Pufu

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Pouf can eat a dick

RIP Pitou holy poo poo

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pitou and Youpi are awesome and I Was really hoping that Pitou at least would survive when the arc was going on. Pouf is a lunatic and both really entertaining at times and totally the worst.

Lesser ants, at lot are awesome. As I said before, Meleoron is great and I'm glad he survived the arc, Cheetu's death was amazing, I feel really bad for Colt/Kurt/whatever and hope that he somehow learns that his sister made it back home.

Also, I wonder if Gyro's ever going to be followed up on. The diversion on him made it seem like he was going to be a major player, but apart from being part of the motivation for Ikalgo and Welfin to defect he was a non-factor.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Butt Ghost posted:

Pouf can eat a dick

RIP Pitou holy poo poo

I felt really really bad for Pitou.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I did not feel bad for Pitou. I felt bad for Gon. Well mostly I just felt bad.

really Pouf was the only one of the bunch that I'd consider a real monster

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pitou being the victim of Super-Gon is just one more thing that highlights how that transformation was just not a good thing. Like, if he killed the King with that power (setting aside that the Miniature Rose made that unnecessary), then sure, it's a terrible sacrifice but it was worth something. If he took out Pouf or Youpi, then sure, it keeps his friends out of danger and makes getting to the King easier.

Pitou, though, had become a non-issue before Gon arrived; all he wanted to do was save Komugi and keep the King from dying, and was more than willing to not only not fight for those ends, but die for them, and was well on the way to developing a full suite of emotions and morals rather than just indulging himself and serving the King. Out of the three Pitou was the one closest to redemption and the one most likely to remain functional and become a good person after the King's death.

Likewise, at that point in time, so far away from the King, Pitou's death changed nothing regarding the outcome of the battle at the palace. Meruem and the other two Royal Guards were going to die, there was no stopping that. Leaving Pitou alive wouldn't have changed anything at that point; even though he would have fought to protect the King, despite no longer having any desire to fight or kill, him being so far removed from the battlefield neutralized him as a threat even before his death.

Gon's motivation for killing Pitou wasn't even heroic or just; he wasn't thinking about saving anyone or anything, he just wanted revenge for Kite's death.

And then, just to add one more thing to the pile, even up to the end Pitou had no desire to kill Gon or anyone else. He only fought Gon because, upon seeing the transformation, knew that Gon's power was enough to kill the King and wanted to ensure that couldn't happen. Which, of course, means that he also knew full well that he not only could die there, but probably was going to; Pitou's last act was, of all things, sacrificing himself to save someone else.

Basically, his death was a tragedy brought about through his own past actions (when he was still more ant than human mentally, the way Colt, Meleoron, and the other redeemed ants used to be as well, and honestly far below them in terms of atrocity committed), Pouf's machinations, and Gon's emotions. Had he survived I'm sure that, assuming he didn't go into a depressive funk over the King's death, he would have been just like Meleoron, Ikalgo, and the other "good" ants in terms of actions and ability to integrate after that point. Instead, though, he died, and Gon got... Nothing for it. It didn't change the outcome of the battle, it didn't make him feel better or bring Kite back, it just nearly killed him and, even with Alluka coming in to restore him to perfect health he lost his ability with nen. It just wasn't worth it on any level.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like your post a lot other the fact that I see Pitou as a girl. (Pitou being a girl seems to be the current majority held opinion. What with Pitou having breasts and all in the anime.)

But Yeah if Pitou has survived I think she would have had an interesting role. (Though Depressed Funk would happen first as she would have failed in both tasks as both the King and Komugi would be dead.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 27, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

I like your post a lot other the fact that I see Pitou as a girl. (Pitou being a girl seems to be the current majority held opinion. What with Pitou having breasts and all in the anime.)

But Yeah if Pitou has survived I think she would have had an interesting role. (Though Depressed Funk would happen first as she would have failed in both tasks as both the King and Komugi would be dead.)

Pitou's gender is admittedly ambiguous; I tend to say "he" because I started with the Viz translations that referred to Pitou as such, but truthfully have no strong feelings either way. Bringing up actual ant gender stuff would be irrelevant given how we got things like the rogue ant the Troupe destroyed and Reina, etc. who weren't the Queen but were still female, and so on, and also all the male workers, so, yeah.

And yeah, Pitou's death makes me sad because, as you say, he probably would have been really interesting after that, besides everything I wrote up there. It's sad and I wish he didn't die, but at the same time it made for a pretty effective story, so.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 27, 2015

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Pitou being the victim of Super-Gon is just one more thing that highlights how that transformation was just not a good thing. Like, if he killed the King with that power (setting aside that the Miniature Rose made that unnecessary), then sure, it's a terrible sacrifice but it was worth something. If he took out Pouf or Youpi, then sure, it keeps his friends out of danger and makes getting to the King easier.

Pitou, though, had become a non-issue before Gon arrived; all he wanted to do was save Komugi and keep the King from dying, and was more than willing to not only not fight for those ends, but die for them, and was well on the way to developing a full suite of emotions and morals rather than just indulging himself and serving the King. Out of the three Pitou was the one closest to redemption and the one most likely to remain functional and become a good person after the King's death.

Likewise, at that point in time, so far away from the King, Pitou's death changed nothing regarding the outcome of the battle at the palace. Meruem and the other two Royal Guards were going to die, there was no stopping that. Leaving Pitou alive wouldn't have changed anything at that point; even though he would have fought to protect the King, despite no longer having any desire to fight or kill, him being so far removed from the battlefield neutralized him as a threat even before his death.

Gon's motivation for killing Pitou wasn't even heroic or just; he wasn't thinking about saving anyone or anything, he just wanted revenge for Kite's death.

And then, just to add one more thing to the pile, even up to the end Pitou had no desire to kill Gon or anyone else. He only fought Gon because, upon seeing the transformation, knew that Gon's power was enough to kill the King and wanted to ensure that couldn't happen. Which, of course, means that he also knew full well that he not only could die there, but probably was going to; Pitou's last act was, of all things, sacrificing himself to save someone else.

Basically, his death was a tragedy brought about through his own past actions (when he was still more ant than human mentally, the way Colt, Meleoron, and the other redeemed ants used to be as well, and honestly far below them in terms of atrocity committed), Pouf's machinations, and Gon's emotions. Had he survived I'm sure that, assuming he didn't go into a depressive funk over the King's death, he would have been just like Meleoron, Ikalgo, and the other "good" ants in terms of actions and ability to integrate after that point. Instead, though, he died, and Gon got... Nothing for it. It didn't change the outcome of the battle, it didn't make him feel better or bring Kite back, it just nearly killed him and, even with Alluka coming in to restore him to perfect health he lost his ability with nen. It just wasn't worth it on any level.

pitous a girl tho

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Any show that manages to make me feel bad for the horrific cat-person, we one we saw earlier physically rooting around in people's brains, the one who controls meat-puppets, that's some good show.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I'm not sure any of the royal guard could theoretically be rehabilitated. Their best possible fate was very likely dying for their king. And thanks to her efforts, Meruem got to share some nice peaceful moments with komugi, which might not have happened if Gon was still on the warpath.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I think the problem was power creep. Meruem and the royal guards were all way too powerful to keep around with the possible exception of Pouf, the worst guard. (I known that isn't much of an argument coming from an anime that takes its cue from Jojo with tactics + power type being more important than power level, but stay with me here.)

We had four 2nd/3rd tier ants force half the Phantom Troupe into using their trump cards to be beaten. Meruem beat the most powerful nen user alive. Gon had to do unprecedented poo poo to beat one of them, and it cost him basically everything he worked for up until that point.

The only people we know of that could probably threaten Pitou after Netero dies were the Zoldyck father/grandfather and a healed Chrollo.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

And then, just to add one more thing to the pile, even up to the end Pitou had no desire to kill Gon or anyone else.

Fairly certain Pitou wanted to kill Gon. It was when Gon told Knuckle where the King was.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
So, I caught up a few years back sometime after the end of the Chimera Ant arc, did they finish the one after? I can't remember much of the beginning, as it went on hiatus again at that point (I do love the thread title). In the meantime, Naruto finally ended, and Bleach continues on... Anyway, if that arc is finished, is the manga also done?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The short arc after the chimera ants ended, yeah. But then over a year ago Togashi started an incredibly interesting new arc and has been on hiatus ever since.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jorghnassen posted:

So, I caught up a few years back sometime after the end of the Chimera Ant arc, did they finish the one after? I can't remember much of the beginning, as it went on hiatus again at that point (I do love the thread title). In the meantime, Naruto finally ended, and Bleach continues on... Anyway, if that arc is finished, is the manga also done?

The manga is currently on Hiatus (hence the thread title ;)), and while the "fallout" of the Chimera Ants arc is done, Togashi did a couple of chapters last year that were basically the beginning of an arc Starring Leorio and Kurapika.

e: dang! :argh:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 27, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The good news is that the wrap-up arc after the Chimera Ant stuff is such that it actually could function as a pretty decent ending point for the series.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:yeah:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

korrandark posted:

Fairly certain Pitou wanted to kill Gon. It was when Gon told Knuckle where the King was.

Pitou didn't want to kill Gon, but she felt like she needed to. Right before their fight, Pitou said something like "I'm sorry, but I need to kill you." And there's really no reason for Pitou to lie about that. The idea being that she learned empathy very quickly.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TWIST FIST posted:

Youpi owns, Pouf is the worst, I feel no sympathy for Pitou

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 27, 2015

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Remember Ponzu just getting loving shot

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

AlternateNu posted:

I think the problem was power creep. Meruem and the royal guards were all way too powerful to keep around with the possible exception of Pouf, the worst guard. (I known that isn't much of an argument coming from an anime that takes its cue from Jojo with tactics + power type being more important than power level, but stay with me here.)

We had four 2nd/3rd tier ants force half the Phantom Troupe into using their trump cards to be beaten. Meruem beat the most powerful nen user alive. Gon had to do unprecedented poo poo to beat one of them, and it cost him basically everything he worked for up until that point.

The only people we know of that could probably threaten Pitou after Netero dies were the Zoldyck father/grandfather and a healed Chrollo.

I've got a bunch of problems with the Chimera Ant arc, and this is one of them. Of course, after this is all over, Togashi made the exact same mistake he did with Yu Yu Hakusho and bring in a ranking system, complete with making the King a B rank.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Clarste posted:

Pitou didn't want to kill Gon, but she felt like she needed to. Right before their fight, Pitou said something like "I'm sorry, but I need to kill you." And there's really no reason for Pitou to lie about that. The idea being that she learned empathy very quickly.
She promised Gon she would "Fix" Kite provided she be allowed to heal Komugi first.

Then she saw Kite and realized there was no fixing him. She made a promise in the name of the King and had to break it. That's what she's sorry about, IMO. I don't think she felt any personal attachment to Komugi or any other human; Komugi was important to the King, and thus important to her.

It's probably worth noting though that Pitou was the only royal guard who accepted the King as he was, rather than trying to change him to be someone else like Pouf and Youpi.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 27, 2015

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
We see Pitou hold Kite's severed head right after she kills him. I thought it was pretty clear she was leading Gon on the whole time.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

She didn't know his name though. Gon's friend Kite could've been anybody.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

She didn't know his name though. Gon's friend Kite could've been anybody.

Oh, right. I totally forgot about that.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I, for one, am glad that Perfect Cell and the royal guards are dead

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I am also glad that Leorio punched the gently caress out of Ging

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

littleorv posted:

I am also glad that Leorio punched the gently caress out of Ging

I like that this action spearheads a campaign to elect Leorio 4 prez

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Momomo posted:

I've got a bunch of problems with the Chimera Ant arc, and this is one of them. Of course, after this is all over, Togashi made the exact same mistake he did with Yu Yu Hakusho and bring in a ranking system, complete with making the King a B rank.

Not really. In YYH it was straight up power level. Here it's threat level. And Meruem wasn't much of a threat, all things considered, considering he could be taken out by a single low-budget not-nuke. The stuff from the Dark Continent is more dangerous due to the threat they pose and the fact that they mostly seem to be stuff you can't really kill.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Srice posted:

Hell, I'd vote for him

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Pouf was the only higher ranking Ant that was totally irredeemable, but it's probably a good thing that all of them are dead. They were horribly powerful, and their burgeoning humanity doesn't really make much of a difference here. I mean, the horror that does (most of) the Ants in was a human invention after-all

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Srice posted:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Jaweeeblop
Nov 12, 2004

So far in the chimera ant arc Meleoron is the best ant and I feel sorriest for Komugi. She seems seriously scared and confused after waking up from surgery and the 1 constant she has come to trust is nowhere to be found. Everyone in the hunter group could at least talk to her and explain the situation, cut the girl some slack... drat. Netero vs Meruem was a badass fight, I thought it was over after losing a leg and an arm, shoulda known better.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Lol fucks sake Hisoka in his fight against Gon cracks me up.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I would smoke copious amounts of weed with Meleoron and Morel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'm at the end of Greed Island arc :bravo2:

Also, wtf is wrong with Ging?! Gon would be better off never meeting his father and just looking for what happened to his mother really.