Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Classy Hydra posted:

I would honestly rank Digimon up with Type-Moon on the scale of ridiculously in-depth background information that seems to affect little to nothing in the main series.

The fact that Digimon has a wide variety of completely distinct canons that are nevertheless somehow linked through poorly-defined dimensional mechanics only makes it better, really.

what exactly would you define as "the main series"? I just ask that out of curiosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

what exactly would you define as "the main series"? I just ask that out of curiosity.

Pretty much anything. There's a ton of "lore", but in all honesty it's never been at the forefront of any series. Some of the players in the various groups and societies feature as protagonists or antagonists, but there's never been a series that's been JUST about exploring these potential story lines. They're just used as backdrop for different stories, or events. For instance, in Savers, the Royal Knights and Yggdrasil play a part in the final arc, but the lore isn't really the point. It's just "here's the group of misguided bad guys, here's the big bad boss, shounen plot happens". There hasn't been a series that's like "Well, let's explore all the Royal Knights, what their place is in the Digital World, how the SGDLs and the forces of light interact, how the Olympius Twelve and their Digital World works, and make a story just based around that". They're just always backstory, interesting but really unimportant to know for each individual series.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

TFRazorsaw posted:

The various anime series. While the franchise didn't originate with the television show, I'd be skeptical of a claim it isn't the most definitional element.

EDIT: I should clarify I'm talking about Digimon, not Type-Moon.

Classy Hydra fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 27, 2015

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think this is just another example of the disparity between the sides of the fandom on both sides of the Pacific. For us, all of that stuff was largely background noise that we had to wait on Japanese sources to translate while the anime got translated and broadcast, the merchandise focus was on figures and much less on virtual pets, and the card game was poorly supported and rebooted several times while we never got any of the manga.

Whereas over there, in addition to the anime, there was a more robust, longer lasting card game, virtual pets released in the years even while the anime was off the air, guide books, tournaments and events, video games, and two serialized manga based on them, all the while while Digimon Web and the Reference Book was updating and available to them without there being a buffer between languages.

I'm not saying the anime isn't important. God knows it is. But the Bandai Lore isn't necessarily just window dressing. I'd compare it to the Zoids Battle Story that ran with the model kits as opposed to the storyline of the various anime.

Edit - And it should be noted, there IS a whole movie based on this stuff; X-Evolution, basically.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Dec 27, 2015

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
...This depressingly reminds me of Transformers actually. Because after a point someone decided that there had to be only one true Unicron, and that he basically hopped bodies across the multiverse until he was either destroyed, or had his body in a given universe destroyed. And then there were a bunch of other 'multiversal singularities' that followed - characters who are in fact the same individual across all time and space. I realise that this isn't quite the same notion, but its close enough for my distaste.

Thing is, that sort of concept really, really overcomplicates how exactly you're supposed to read and understand everything working. Because unless you've got a specific story group that oversees any and all subsequent adaptations, most creators will then ignore it, whilst someone else then has to rectify it and bring it back into line.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Just because it works that way in some games doesn't mean it works that way in the whole franchise.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Astro Nut posted:

...This depressingly reminds me of Transformers actually. Because after a point someone decided that there had to be only one true Unicron, and that he basically hopped bodies across the multiverse until he was either destroyed, or had his body in a given universe destroyed. And then there were a bunch of other 'multiversal singularities' that followed - characters who are in fact the same individual across all time and space. I realise that this isn't quite the same notion, but its close enough for my distaste.

Thing is, that sort of concept really, really overcomplicates how exactly you're supposed to read and understand everything working. Because unless you've got a specific story group that oversees any and all subsequent adaptations, most creators will then ignore it, whilst someone else then has to rectify it and bring it back into line.

It isn't that bad in Transformers because those characters are all divine or similarly cosmic beings, so it can work in showing just what sort of scale we're dealing with. Far better than having supposed "gods" being only slightly stronger than normal characters as is so common when they're introduced in stories. That and they aren't usually the main focus of the series, meaning that they don't usually completely dominate the story.

The digimon lore is only disadvantaged because so little of it is ever really used in their most visible works (in no small part due to the fact that individual designs are often retroactively added to bigger groups like the Royal Knights and Demon Lords).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

We've only had one anime canon where the SGDL exists AS a group as is, as opposed to just being members of those particular species. I don't think it's anywhere near a problem.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

We've only had one anime canon where the SGDL exists AS a group as is, as opposed to just being members of those particular species. I don't think it's anywhere near a problem.

Seriously the least fun person to talk about Digimon stuff with you are.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

edit - you know what? It's not worth it.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Speaking of lore stuff, aside from Devimon, what are some good champion level digimons to use for villains? I'm running an RP with some friends and I was gonna have it be sandboxy until they found some plot thread to latch onto, and am trying to thing of some good villains to throw at them. (Probably not going to use Ogremon because he might end up being a player's champion level digimon.)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Let's see. Sethmon could work if you're okay with using Armors. IceDevimon, Mushamon, Boogeymon... Those are all options.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Mushamon would be pretty legit.

I'm still unsure on armours, I'm by far the most familiar with the lore, and am not following any particular show. I do plan on giving them cards and things to digimodify with, and didn't plan on having the monsters revert after evolving.

I think I'll see how invested in digimodifying they get and give them armour if that's a hit.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I didn't mean using Armors as evolved forms. I meant using an Armor as a villain that just evolved to that stage naturally.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Moriatti posted:

Speaking of lore stuff, aside from Devimon, what are some good champion level digimons to use for villains? I'm running an RP with some friends and I was gonna have it be sandboxy until they found some plot thread to latch onto, and am trying to thing of some good villains to throw at them. (Probably not going to use Ogremon because he might end up being a player's champion level digimon.)

Witchmon would be a good one, on the more comedic side of things BomberNanimon would work really well (is it weird that I love BomberNanimon but hate regular Nanimon?)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
BomberNanimon is a cool dude while Nanimon is a freaky creep, so it's fine. Also Citramon would be a worthy villain to throw in there.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Raremon could be a fun choice, whether for serious value as a giant, destructive tub of sludge or for comedic value because his face would be great for goofy reactions.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Nanimon bro's seem like good recurring villain fodder, Raremon could be pretty fun.
I was wandering if there are any racoon based digimon as well, since one of the player characters is freaked out by Ravens (still debating on having a recurring Saberdramon early on for her or having the option of a Skullgreymon-esque evolution of Gargomon -> Yatagaramon.)
Another player chose Racoons, but I didn't see any that were especially racoon-like.

Rxsw
Aug 12, 2010

The Bee posted:

Raremon could be a fun choice, whether for serious value as a giant, destructive tub of sludge or for comedic value because his face would be great for goofy reactions.

agreed, Id like to see that

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Moriatti posted:

Nanimon bro's seem like good recurring villain fodder, Raremon could be pretty fun.
I was wandering if there are any racoon based digimon as well, since one of the player characters is freaked out by Ravens (still debating on having a recurring Saberdramon early on for her or having the option of a Skullgreymon-esque evolution of Gargomon -> Yatagaramon.)
Another player chose Racoons, but I didn't see any that were especially racoon-like.

there are no tanuki/raccoon digimon at all.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Weird. Oh well, his character has a lot less self-doubt, so a looming personal villain isn't as necessary for him.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

http://www.digimonworld.org/2015/12/the-digivice-ver-15th-will-be-reprinted.html

The digivice ver. 15 is being re-released in March

http://www.digimonworld.org/2015/12/opdecoded-translation-group-picks-up.html

Digimon Story: Lost Evolution is getting a fan translation finally.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

http://www.digimonworld.org/2015/12/opdecoded-translation-group-picks-up.html

Digimon Story: Lost Evolution is getting a fan translation finally.

I'll believe that when I have a patch running right here in front of me. Too many people have been dangling this one for too many years to believe anything til then.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

dis astranagant posted:

I'll believe that when I have a patch running right here in front of me. Too many people have been dangling this one for too many years to believe anything til then.

And even if it is real, it's going to take like 5 years (at LEAST), because fan translation.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

dis astranagant posted:

this is a group that's actually brought results once, and it's on a platform that's much easier to mod for.

I think they'll pull it off.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

How language dependent are these things? I miss my old digivice and would love to get this one...but not if I can't actually play with it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I honestly have no idea.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TFRazorsaw posted:

I honestly have no idea.

I vaguely remember having named menu options; but I know for some electronics, it's presented in English even if it's a Japanese toy..

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

jivjov posted:

I vaguely remember having named menu options; but I know for some electronics, it's presented in English even if it's a Japanese toy..

I own the Yagami Taichi digivice and it does not have English anything. It's all in Japanese, even the manual. Been waiting for a translation to pop up so I can actually play with the thing.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Finally got around to Savers, currently at episode 24. Loving it so far. My favourite series overall is definitely Tamers due to all the previously brought up points (Kazu and Kenta being useful, characters not being overshadowed by Takato, everything Yamaki) and I thought Beelzemon/Impmon had a fantastic arc. Jeri was a good twist on the 'peppy' character. One complaint I had with Tamers was one episode - the worst filler in the entire series: Jijimon and Babamon. Those two were the worst characters and they brought out the worst in Kazu and Kenta. One thing I appreciate about Kazu is he's patient. He didn't bitch about getting 'stuck' with Guardromon despite never getting to digivolve, he was just happy to be part of the show and helped in the D-reaper fight surprisingly effectively (or at least he didn't get in the way).

My favourite scene in Savers so far is definitely when Falcomon and Ikuto first start staying at the main character's house and his sister recognises Falcomon as her assailant earlier. Just that look she gives him.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
It is kinda bullcrap that Guardromon never evolves after becoming Kazu's partner despite being introduced as Andromon, I'm fine with him never reaching Ultimate as that's relatively special here, but you'd think he'd have pulled off an Evolution to Perfect at least once

Also I'll admit I've never really liked Kazu getting MarineAngemon for a partner, just felt poorly handled for the most part

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

drrockso20 posted:

It is kinda bullcrap that Guardromon never evolves after becoming Kazu's partner despite being introduced as Andromon, I'm fine with him never reaching Ultimate as that's relatively special here, but you'd think he'd have pulled off an Evolution to Perfect at least once

Also I'll admit I've never really liked Kazu getting MarineAngemon for a partner, just felt poorly handled for the most part

Aside from acting as occasional D-Reaper repellent, MarineAngemon barely existed in the story. It was annoying for one of the six Megas on the team to be effectively a mascot.

As for Guardromon staying as he is, the only reason he was in the cast is because someone on the crew liked his design. He seemed to be more competent in his Champion form than he ever was as Andromon. It's a shame, especially when his predecessor in Adventure was so impressive despite his rare appearances, but he was a side-character.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
What's the general consensus on Tri? I haven't watched the first OVA (movie?) yet.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just finished season 5. Pretty strong. Quite liked the ending, especially Yggdrasil's breakdown "UNABLE TO COMPUTE!" Also the BanchoLeomon twist was amazing.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

AlternateNu posted:

What's the general consensus on Tri? I haven't watched the first OVA (movie?) yet.

Pretty good and solid, interesting take on Adventure. The two minor issues i'd say it has is that OVA quality means it looks very nice for the most part but still uses flashbacks a bit too often and the western release was handled by crunchyroll and they sliced the 80 minute ova into four episodes, so the pacing is slightly altered.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Pretty good and solid, interesting take on Adventure. The two minor issues i'd say it has is that OVA quality means it looks very nice for the most part but still uses flashbacks a bit too often and the western release was handled by crunchyroll and they sliced the 80 minute ova into four episodes, so the pacing is slightly altered.

Yeah; I sat down to watch it not knowing that it was originally an OVA and was kinda grumpy after the first episode, because it doesn't really fit a 20-22 minute episode structure. So if you're gonna watch it, binge watch the entire set.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AlternateNu posted:

It's good, watch it. Pacing's a bit weird due to being a movie separated into four episodes, and it overuses flashbacks to the point that a once-shocking scene becomes meaningless, but beyond that it is very good. Animation's great, songs are great, characterization is on point and the battles are awesome. Plot's Tamers-like, which is always a good thing too.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

BioEnchanted posted:

My favourite scene in Savers so far is definitely when

That subplot was actually what intrigued me about the season earliest. A strange theme in Savers, especially earlier in the season, is that partner dynamics aren't always healthy, even if both sides care about eachother. Sometimes people draw the worst from each other rather than the best, which works to further the digimon vs. humanity dichotomy it really hammers in later.

It's a really unusual sort of basis for this sort of show that wasn't really touched on before. Even Tamers was more about learning to let others get close to you in the first place (even if it hurts you), and not so much what pans out after the fact. I don't think Savers was quitye as good at Tamers was in actually engaging with its ideas (and of course, didn't have nearly as good aesthetic), but I think the ideas it did have were comparably interesting.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRw33VOqxDg

New PV for Chapter 2: Determination. Shows some pretty interesting things, especially how Ken seems to be the Digimon Kaiser again. I wonder why, since that's the very last thing I'd expect Ken to do by his own will. Also Leomon is back, so I can't wait for him to get killed again.

It also confirms that Chapter 3 will be titled Confession, released on Summer 2016, and will be centered on Takeru and Patamon. Quoting Bokura no Digital World:

quote:

"Then a new story..."
Shows Patamon waves and says "Good bye Takeru."
As Takeru screams after Patamon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Well now that certainly gives credence to the 02 kids doing a face heel turn idea

So anyone else has preordered Cyber Sleuth?