Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Edinburgh beat Glasgow today while playing some pretty nice rugby at times. I expect them to play some more nice, expansive rugby next week in the second leg of the 1872 cup and then return to being loving terrible in the attack for the rest of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...

Vaders Jester posted:

Edinburgh beat Glasgow today while playing some pretty nice rugby at times. I expect them to play some more nice, expansive rugby next week in the second leg of the 1872 cup and then return to being loving terrible in the attack for the rest of the season.

Our defence is pretty good these days too. Tom Brown's gonna have to find a new tailor so he can fit Taqele Naiyaravoro in his pocket.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Painkiller posted:

Our defence is pretty good these days too. Tom Brown's gonna have to find a new tailor so he can fit Taqele Naiyaravoro in his pocket.

Aye, best defence in the Pro12, I just wish our backs would play more like they did today more often.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tyma posted:

It sucks watching Patchell win the big derby match for a team that can't wait to shovel him out the door :(

What pisses me off most about the Blues is that they don't seem to be building a team that will win the European cup. They seem to just be headless. I know the Dragons have no hope of being a big team but the Blues should be contenders.

stavros880 posted:

Am on a train so missed this game. Sounds like I'll have to watch the highlights :) until then, I'll continue to struggle to figure out how you can get a penalty try from a not straight line out :confused:

So the line out wasn't called and it turned into a ruck where the ref gave a pen. try.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Glad Edinburgh have got their poo poo together recently, not so long ago they were semi finalists in the Heineken Cup and even though it's highly unlikely anyone from the Pro 12 will do that this year it's good to see more competition in the league.

Ulster managed to give connacht their first loss at home yesterday in a tight one, hoping Leinster and Munster take some lumps out of each other today.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Munster's gone a wee bit poo poo these days. :(

Edit: Good interception and try there.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Ultragonk posted:

What pisses me off most about the Blues is that they don't seem to be building a team that will win the European cup. They seem to just be headless. I know the Dragons have no hope of being a big team but the Blues should be contenders.
Yeah, they have seemed to have been going backwards for the last 5 years. They never seem to recruit the players to cover their weaknesses. Tighthead prop, flyhalf and centre have been big weaknesses for a long time now. The move to the Cardiff City Stadium screwed up the finances and really set them back.

Ultragonk posted:

So the line out wasn't called and it turned into a ruck where the ref gave a pen. try.

Ahh...that makes more sense. I thought you were saying the Dragons threw a crooked line out and the ref went full retard and awarded a penalty try :)

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Painkiller posted:

Knowing nothing about NH rugby, but being a tahs follower I'd have thought he'd have to find an orthopod to repair his bones. How did it go in the end, was Taqele any good?

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Quins drew 39-39 with Gloucester today in an absolute thriller, real try of the year contender in there too.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Unimpressed posted:

Knowing nothing about NH rugby, but being a tahs follower I'd have thought he'd have to find an orthopod to repair his bones. How did it go in the end, was Taqele any good?

Taqele has been alright so far, sometimes goes missing but he dominated the Euro game against Scarlets. Against Edinburgh he wasn't given any space at all (Edinburgh's defence is really good this season).

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35193795

Bath seem to have gone mental since Burgess left and are now signing any backrow player they can find.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Vaders Jester posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35193795

Bath seem to have gone mental since Burgess left and are now signing any backrow player they can find.

It's quite odd. Also lol at the salary cap, we're not even pretending at this point.

Also fantastic news Tyma! Rhys Priestland has decided that he will make himself available for selection for Wales if asked! I knew you'd be happy!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Tyma posted:

Someone has illustrated the entire history of Rugby Union in one image :psyduck:

(Link to the artist's website, as the image won't fit on Flickr)

http://www.roundheadillustration.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Rugby-Mishmash-website-watermarked.jpg

This is the most amazing thing ever. I must have it.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

Vaders Jester posted:

Taqele has been alright so far, sometimes goes missing but he dominated the Euro game against Scarlets. Against Edinburgh he wasn't given any space at all (Edinburgh's defence is really good this season).

Glasgow don't seem to know quite what to do with him or how best to get him into the game. He only dominated against the Scarlets because they kept kicking down his throat. It's weird since Townsend is usually good at using unique players (e.g. Nakarawa), but Glasgow just treat him as an orthodox winger.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Painkiller posted:

Glasgow don't seem to know quite what to do with him or how best to get him into the game. He only dominated against the Scarlets because they kept kicking down his throat. It's weird since Townsend is usually good at using unique players (e.g. Nakarawa), but Glasgow just treat him as an orthodox winger.

Aye, I think they sometimes go wide a little too soon and don't give him enough space to run. DTH was incredible at avoiding tackles which made it easier for that sort of stuff so it seems to just be taking time for everything to click.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

The 2nd Glasgow vs Edinburgh game this weekend is being moved to Murrayfield because Scoutston looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6FiX7uC-eo

If the rain keeps coming Glasgow are going to struggle to fit in all their fixtures. They've already missed one due to rain and one due to the Paris attacks.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Painkiller posted:

The 2nd Glasgow vs Edinburgh game this weekend is being moved to Murrayfield because Scoutston looks like this:

If the rain keeps coming Glasgow are going to struggle to fit in all their fixtures. They've already missed one due to rain and one due to the Paris attacks.

I feel their pain, my rugby club had to cancel practice this week because of rain too.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Happy new year, here's to irpand being poo poo when it naytrerrs

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Painkiller posted:

https://youtu.be/bVQTczeM4WA

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A paddling pool is no place to play a rugby game.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
It sucks if you're an outside back standing around doing nothing, but for the forwards it's loads of fun

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Mr Chips posted:

It sucks if you're an outside back standing around doing nothing, but for the forwards it's loads of fun

Everyone reduced to the same skill level, but forwards are bigger so become more important.

I loved playing in rainy conditions as a forward; the flashy back moves failed so it was left to the forwards to score tries through rucking in the mud.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

As a front rower games that were played in swamp conditions were great. Apart from scrummaging, which there was usually a lot of since a muddy ball being handled by loads of forwards tended to be knocked on all the time.

Do miss spending a month or two of Saturdays mucked up from head to toe in the lovely irish winter though.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was not a fan of games in swamps as a second row. Rucks, mauls and scrums in heavy, clay mud were exhausting.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I played one game in a proper downpour. As a centre, it was atrocious.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I played a game against Ayr once which started in sunshine, second half was marked by the start of the hail stones and the game ended in a blizzard. Still scored some nice tries with our flashy back moves. Go County!

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Ulster-Munster was one big long wet fart of a match that ended 9-7 to Munster on the back of two missed penalties from noted ginger racist Paddy Jackson.

E: V V I only saw highlights of the Saracens match but three penalty tries is just taking the piss out of Leicester. The scrums were hilariously mismatched and Leicester should be ashamed of themselves.

MyChemicalImbalance fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 5, 2016

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
An afternoon in a pub has convinced me that Saracens are boring and didn't do anything positive all game which would earn their bonus point victory, and the Sharks Wasps game was dull as all gently caress and I hate them both.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Apollodorus' south-of-the-border rivals have just unveiled John Mitchell as their new coach, signing with US Rugby on a 4-year deal.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Had my first-ever rugby training session last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had no idea about how to pass or where to stand or entirely what the hell I was doing (fourth team apparently rarely train so I was with the firsts and seconds), but it was great. Bring on session two on Thursday!

And also lots of reading on where I should stand in a line because I really had no clue, especially when the ball switched sides.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

fallingdownjoe posted:

And also lots of reading on where I should stand in a line because I really had no clue, especially when the ball switched sides.

Start with behind the guy who has the ball, or will have the ball before you. That's your starting point.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/35245732

Does he have another son he can shoe-horn into the Irish squad?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Just read the Farrell appointment. That'll make the England game funny to watch.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
To further kick Rhys Patchell in the dick, Cardiff Blues have signed Matthew Morgan. It's not a dual contract, but it's definately a "hey, you sign this contract if you ever want to play for wales again" deal.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Ouch, between that and signing Nick Williams who almost killed him that one time Patchell's getting it bad. Which member of management's cornflakes did he poo poo in?

V V didn't even realise that. Always rated him, Wales have a load of nearly great 10's at the minute.

MyChemicalImbalance fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 7, 2016

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Is he not pissing off to Scarlets in the summer?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I remember one match I played in college (also known as uni) in which the field was approximately 90% mud at the beginning of the match and there were at least ten pools of standing water. At one point the referee stopped play during a ruck because he was worried someone was about to drown. Afterwards, we found a building that had a faucet on the outside and used it to wash off, only to discover that we were standing in front of the door to the art museum where a black tie donors' gala was being held. They did not appreciate having 20 muddy shirtless rugby players hanging around.

Also, heard about John Mitchell. Pretty loving excited. Maybe we can Win a Rugby some day soon!

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Glasgow continuing their traditional "poo poo in Europe" trend.

e: I say that and then Nakarawa scores a great try from a lineout.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 9, 2016

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wayne Barnes is a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Ulster came back from 23-0 at half time to Oyonnax to win 24-23, with noted lovely person Paddy Jackson kicking a 50m penalty in the 77th minute to take the win.

Still an outside hope of an Irish team in the knockout stages, until we get Saracen'd next week at least.

MyChemicalImbalance fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 11, 2016