Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

GamingHyena posted:

It's a shame that the Minutemen faction's primary contribution to the game is to endlessly get captured by raiders. I thought it would be cool if the Minutemen actually cared you were head of the organization and were used as a pseudo karma system. So if you were a goody two-shoes then you'd see minutemen around trying to kill bands of raiders and rescue settlers. But if you were an stealing drug using rear end in a top hat then the Minutemen would start devolving into essentially a band of raiders. Maybe you could get missions to raid other factions or settlers for money.

ETA till modders do this and possibly get the actual VAs to do a thing I dunno lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Chamale posted:

If MacCready idolizes you, his perk gives you +95% accuracy on headshots in VATS.

There are perks to get more critical hits, and with Kellogg's Pistol you can use VATS forever. Especially if you go buy all the legendary equipment that gives you a reduction in VATS cost.

Yea I got most of the vats heavy guns its just the stealth aspect that I'm lacking in. I got kellogs pistol. An instigating sniper. Righteous authority for building up crits, a lucky shotgun for using up those crits. The deliverer, a silenced combat rifle and the railgun. What more do I need? Lol.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I like the Gauss rifle in this; it's a neat implementation that makes it more than just "the best rifle". But man, I'm really jonesing for a Gauss pistol. I loved that thing in FO2.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Viva Miriya posted:

ETA till modders do this and possibly get the actual VAs to do a thing I dunno lol.

If there were more quests like the Institute's Pinned as the Minutemen, it'd be a lot more interesting than "go to village, wipe out location, return, return, repeat". It'll be in the next DLC, I guess!

Speaking of DLC, any news? Or maybe a new patch? :v:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

GamingHyena posted:

It's a shame that the Minutemen faction's primary contribution to the game is to endlessly get captured by raiders. I thought it would be cool if the Minutemen actually cared you were head of the organization and were used as a pseudo karma system. So if you were a goody two-shoes then you'd see minutemen around trying to kill bands of raiders and rescue settlers. But if you were an stealing drug using rear end in a top hat then the Minutemen would start devolving into essentially a band of raiders. Maybe you could get missions to raid other factions or settlers for money.

that would require fallout 4 to be something other than bad diablo with guns.

Also I finished the game. It was a bad Diablo with guns. The gameworld is fun until you realize that it's incongruous and non-interactive, the gunplay gets dull quickly, and the story is just a series of beats that Bethesda wanted you to go through regardless of if it makes sense with your actions in the game. Exploration is boring because there's all of one interesting location in the game (Glowing Sea, which is an interesting idea completely unrealized. Can you even do anything in the city there?) You don't even have to compare it to Witcher to see how bad it is, even something like Shadow of Mordor or New Vegas gets so much more right. Even the fun quests like the one with the robot ship devolves to a series of fights and fetch quests. The Silver Shroud quest (which was the best in the game) can't help but get bogged down in fast travel -> fight -> fast travel. I just sided with The Institute in the end because it felt like the shortest path to the end of the game.

It's a Go Place -> Bigger Numbers game, and there's better ones out there. The first five hours are fun at least. Maybe Obsidian can make a better game with the same engine, because the ol' Bethesda design philosophy of cramming as much poo poo into the world as possible without any regard for quality is really not working.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Cleretic posted:

There's a lot of disparity between the work done on companions that suggest they were introduced at wildly different points, which I find interesting. Strong's where I first started seeing it, because it's clear with him that they introduced him very late. He's got nothing special about him story or scripting-wise, despite the fact that he should, and he's got no unique visual assets either. But I feel like it's very transparent when exactly most of the companions were added, just looking at them from that perspective.

Piper and Nick are well-integrated into the main quest and have a lot of unique stuff in their appearance and animations; they were probably introduced very early and worked on for a long time. Dogmeat was clearly in the cards from the get-go just because he's Dogmeat, but I think he was shifted around fairly late when they decided to put more focus on him. The faction companions and Hancock were probably all introduced when the greater story started getting fleshed out, and then you've got people like MacReady and Cait when you start getting into the later stages, where they can throw them unique art assets but can't really integrate them well. Finally, you've got Strong and Curie, who clearly didn't get a whole lot of attention and were probably afterthoughts.

Codsworth, I'm not sure. I don't feel like he was designed as a companion initially because he sits so weirdly as one; he's written in awkwardly and doesn't make a lot of story or design sense, yet he obviously is an important part of the player character's story. I'm going to guess that he wasn't planned as one, but a few 'wouldn't it be cool if's superceded any design concerns.

I love that you didn't even mention X6-88. :allears:

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012
X6-88 would probably qualify under faction companions, like Deacon and Danse. Not that that makes X6 any more more substantial to the plot other then "We should probably have an Institute companion too".

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zephyrine posted:

I have played to level 70, 86, 30 and now 11. I have never seen a 95% shot miss ever. Unless it hit an obstruction.

I miss 95% shots all the time with two-shot weapons if it's at any sort of range

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I did the submarine quest- and I've done both my runs as a good guy. When I get to the sub and discover a guy who was involved in launching the nukes on Boston I was of the opinion that I probably should just kill this guy because he deserved it- but the game's "die commie scum" line seemed like it wasn't going to reflect my feelings. So I helped him. He wants to go home. Ok. I'll bury the hatchet. I do all the work and we get the sub going.

You know what I wanted as a reward? An apology. Sorry I was involved in destroying your world. That's all.

Instead, I get a device that lets me call him up and fire more nukes.

gently caress you.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Foul Fowl posted:

that would require fallout 4 to be something other than bad diablo with guns.

Also I finished the game. It was a bad Diablo with guns. The gameworld is fun until you realize that it's incongruous and non-interactive, the gunplay gets dull quickly, and the story is just a series of beats that Bethesda wanted you to go through regardless of if it makes sense with your actions in the game. Exploration is boring because there's all of one interesting location in the game (Glowing Sea, which is an interesting idea completely unrealized. Can you even do anything in the city there?) You don't even have to compare it to Witcher to see how bad it is, even something like Shadow of Mordor or New Vegas gets so much more right. Even the fun quests like the one with the robot ship devolves to a series of fights and fetch quests. The Silver Shroud quest (which was the best in the game) can't help but get bogged down in fast travel -> fight -> fast travel. I just sided with The Institute in the end because it felt like the shortest path to the end of the game.

It's a Go Place -> Bigger Numbers game, and there's better ones out there. The first five hours are fun at least. Maybe Obsidian can make a better game with the same engine, because the ol' Bethesda design philosophy of cramming as much poo poo into the world as possible without any regard for quality is really not working.

I started playing Far Cry 4 after finishing the main quest in Fallout 4 and drat, it's sad how much it puts it to shame in literally every way. Far better gunplay, it looks much better and runs better too, story doesn't really seem bad, lots of cool places to explore, hell it even does the whole leveling up thing better because all the upgrades add new stuff that changes the way you play rather than just doing 20% more damage with one type of gun.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is there a way to make settlers wear power armor? I want to set up a supply line between spectacle island and other settlements but the radiation is lethal to settlers and a suitable power armor would help. I just can't order one of them into the armor.

Is there a way to do this?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

double nine posted:

Is there a way to make settlers wear power armor? I want to set up a supply line between spectacle island and other settlements but the radiation is lethal to settlers and a suitable power armor would help. I just can't order one of them into the armor.

Suppliers are immortal. Assign someone and forget it.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

double nine posted:

What you need to do is assign a ghoul settler as a provisioner.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cleretic posted:

And the Institute are the designated villains? The more thought I put into the implications of the main quest, the more I feel like Bethesda didn't.

It's always fun when someone who's only played Fallout 3 finds out who the Brotherhood really are.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

double nine posted:

You simply have to command them to enter a power armor frame like you would a follower in the workshop menu. Then you can set them up with a sweet getup.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

It's always fun when someone who's only played Fallout 3 finds out who the Brotherhood really are.

They were dicks even as far back as the first game, where they send you into the Glow for kicks.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

RBA Starblade posted:

The outcasts. Those are the real brotherhood in Fallout 3.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

MarshyMcFly posted:

You simply have to command them to enter a power armor frame like you would a follower in the workshop menu. Then you can set them up with a sweet getup.

Do NPCs get infinite fusion cores?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Do NPCs get infinite fusion cores?

They don't consume fusion cores, but if the armor has no core then it won't work. That's why sniping a Fusion Core always forces them to exit the armor.

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.
So I'm nearing the endgame with the Minutemen, and I'm seeing a weird glitch where Z1-14 goes hostile on the Minutemen as soon as I relay them in. Since he's essential, they'll knock him down, then he gets back up and it starts again; I can't even finish a conversation with Preston to continue Nuclear Option, especially since I of course have to talk about the bullshit radiant quests first. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, is there a workaround?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Duncan Doenitz posted:

So I'm nearing the endgame with the Minutemen, and I'm seeing a weird glitch where Z1-14 goes hostile on the Minutemen as soon as I relay them in. Since he's essential, they'll knock him down, then he gets back up and it starts again; I can't even finish a conversation with Preston to continue Nuclear Option, especially since I of course have to talk about the bullshit radiant quests first. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, is there a workaround?

Why do you think he he essential to the Minutemen ending? He only comes into play during the Railroad story. If you are playing on PC, just open the console, click on him, and type disable.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Renditious posted:

X6-88 would probably qualify under faction companions, like Deacon and Danse. Not that that makes X6 any more more substantial to the plot other then "We should probably have an Institute companion too".

Yeah, he's in with the other faction companions (Deacon, Danse and Preston), although thinking about it I bet the Institute questline was a lower priority and later implementation than the other three. I like that we get the option to join the guys only fleshed out as villains so far, and to see that they really aren't that bad, but the idea clearly didn't get much more thought and attention than that.

I didn't even find X6-88, actually. Didn't bother me, since I preferred to be going it alone anyway, but still.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 27, 2015

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Zephyrine posted:

I'm going to skip him on this playthrough then for the sake of balance.
If you're on PC, it looks like there's already a couple of mods to fix that perk.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Wait, the protagonist is dubbed *The Sole Survivor* of vault 111.

What does that make Shaun?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I have the necessary perks and materials for a mod but it says "you lack the requirements" anyone know what the gently caress is going on?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

a bad plot device

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The Sole Macguffin.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Zephyrine posted:

I'm going to skip him on this playthrough then for the sake of balance.

You shouldn't. It's a fair reward for putting up with him. Granted, my utter contempt was somewhat alleviated by his second personal quest, but even then, that perk barely makes up for the torture.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Dead by the end of the game.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

adopted

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

MUH BABY BOY

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Goddamn but some of the raids on your settlements are random. I don't know if they consider what you've got equipped when deciding who to spawn against you, but I got an alert that Warwick was under attack. Alright, no big deal, me and Nick were rolling around in power armour in the the glowing sea so nbg, we'll fast travel and mop up.

Fast travelling there spawns me RIGHT in the loving middle of about a dozen gunners, 3 of which are legendaries. If I hadn't been in power armour, it would have been an unwinnable fight, so maybe the game spawned more enemies because of it? Who knows.

Also, my quest for The Slog is bugged out - it tells me to clear out the greenskins at some place just to the northeast, I forget where (supermutant farm area near an army roadblock with an assaultron and mr. gutsy), but there's no quest marker on the area and nothing triggers after I wipe out the mutants. Sorry ghouls, guess you're on your own.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

McKilligan posted:

Goddamn but some of the raids on your settlements are random. I don't know if they consider what you've got equipped when deciding who to spawn against you, but I got an alert that Warwick was under attack. Alright, no big deal, me and Nick were rolling around in power armour in the the glowing sea so nbg, we'll fast travel and mop up.

Fast travelling there spawns me RIGHT in the loving middle of about a dozen gunners, 3 of which are legendaries. If I hadn't been in power armour, it would have been an unwinnable fight, so maybe the game spawned more enemies because of it? Who knows.

Also, my quest for The Slog is bugged out - it tells me to clear out the greenskins at some place just to the northeast, I forget where (supermutant farm area near an army roadblock with an assaultron and mr. gutsy), but there's no quest marker on the area and nothing triggers after I wipe out the mutants. Sorry ghouls, guess you're on your own.

I doubt it's your gear, but I really don't know and would like a mod to make it less annoying. At Starlight Drive-In I've set up some incredible defenses, and whenever it gets attacked it's usually just a horde of low level ghouls who get cut down before they reach the front gate. On the other hand I have Finch Farm which is this dinky little farm with 4 people and it gets 6 Super Mutant Primuses, 2 with rocket launches.

Maybe the devs didn't think everyone would just fast travel to the settlements to get these dumb quests over with, and would like walk there and see the fight and decide if/how to engage? If so, hahahahha christ they're retarded.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Do the attacks scale to the threat level the zone was generated at or whatever, just like turrets do, so Red Rocket will always get scrubs and some remote southern farm will get behemoths?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

shovelbum posted:

Do the attacks scale to the threat level the zone was generated at or whatever, just like turrets do, so Red Rocket will always get scrubs and some remote southern farm will get behemoths?

I've never gotten a behemoth or a Deathclaw.

It seems to always be a raider band, a gunner band, super mutants or ghouls.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

I've never gotten a behemoth or a Deathclaw.

It seems to always be a raider band, a gunner band, super mutants or ghouls.

There are some others I know like Synths/Synth infiltrators and Mirelurk attacks.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

I doubt it's your gear, but I really don't know and would like a mod to make it less annoying. At Starlight Drive-In I've set up some incredible defenses, and whenever it gets attacked it's usually just a horde of low level ghouls who get cut down before they reach the front gate. On the other hand I have Finch Farm which is this dinky little farm with 4 people and it gets 6 Super Mutant Primuses, 2 with rocket launches.

Maybe the devs didn't think everyone would just fast travel to the settlements to get these dumb quests over with, and would like walk there and see the fight and decide if/how to engage? If so, hahahahha christ they're retarded.

You can put the fast travel spawn point anywhere in your settlement so you don't end up in those situations.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I haven no concrete proof of this but it seems to spawn raids in inverse proportion to the defenses you've built, or it may be in relation to the resources that a homestead generates, which is why the farms always seem to get bulldozed.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I've found that putting a fast travel target to somewhere other than the default position is a great investment in not spawning in the midst of 4 power armoured legendary raiders that are currently pummeling your settlement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I replaced every turret in Covenant with a missile turret, piles of raider gibs outside the walls. :haw:

HATE RAIDERS

• Locked thread