Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

We're posting extremely awesome moments from FF games, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

The warrior-goddess Lightning [FF13-3: Lightning Returns]using her birthday present to stab god in the face.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

FactsAreUseless posted:

We're posting extremely awesome moments from FF games, right?

I know I am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofWEWnWjOq0

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Bomb Ring is the literal translation but it's also worth noting that there are similar items in the game which teach Summoners how to summon monsters, including specifically one for a Bomb monster. So "deliver this Bomb item to Summoner's Village" could just have easily been that.

Hm, fair enough.

I'll switch to Cecil and co. standing around helplessly as Golbez-turned-Thing from The Addams Family slowly moved over to grab the crystal and teleport away..

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

God, I love this game.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

What are you playing, dear?

remeez
Jan 10, 2007

In FF13 should I bother doing poo poo like grinding the giant turtles for Gil to make max level weapons or just go and beat the game and gently caress off to XIII-2?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I never fought a single giant turtle or made any superweapons but I beat the game pretty easily once I knew what to do.
Also XIII-2 is way more loving fun.

So my advice is beat the game as soon as possible and move onto the sequel.

edit:
Okay I fought the mandatory giant turtle that was like a weakling; but that's it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, no way do you have to grind for that stuff. Just go ahead and beat the final boss.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You can basically beat the game with default weapons+no upgrade. Most of your main game damage is the stagger system (And Poison for the last boss).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah, Poison is ridiculous. I could not beat the final boss but then I googled it and read "Poison it" and suddenly it was a joke.

Of course, I was never that good at the XIII battle system. I realized the value of debuffs in XIII-2 when I probably should have realized that in XIII.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
I'm on Day 9 in LR after like, 50 hours of play. I think I've done everything in the game short of Aeronite, the bonus dungeon, and general genocide which I'm not entirely sure I feel up to loving with right now. Is there any reason why I should just sleep the remaining days away?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Nope. Sleep away. I literally slept like 4 days in a row after I realized I can't beat the super bosses.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I'm on Day 9 in LR after like, 50 hours of play. I think I've done everything in the game short of Aeronite, the bonus dungeon, and general genocide which I'm not entirely sure I feel up to loving with right now. Is there any reason why I should just sleep the remaining days away?

Well, be aware that committing genocide early will make the bonus dungeon a lot easier. The bonus dungeon is filled with all the Last Ones, and time continues to run during battle in there. So the species you genocide early is extra time you don't have to worry about while going through the dungeon. But even if you do wipe out monsters early, it probably makes sense to do in during the last couple days, so their drops are better.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

remeez posted:

In FF13 should I bother doing poo poo like grinding the giant turtles for Gil to make max level weapons or just go and beat the game and gently caress off to XIII-2?
Why are you asking us about when you feel personally finished with a game.

But the truly optional stuff all comes after the game finishes. Its probably better than not to do the first batch of cie'th stones as a bit of directed experience gaining and unlocking teleports.

Grinding ultimate weapons was as soul crushing as any other FF but I think I had more fun with the post game optional cie'th stones in FF13 than 75% of 13-2

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Level Slide posted:

The warrior-goddess Lightning [FF13-3: Lightning Returns]using her birthday present to stab god in the face.

the ultimate weapon in LIGHTNING RETURNS: FINAL FANTASY XIII is... a bundle of roses :confused:

remeez
Jan 10, 2007

I just beat FF13 and my most pressing question is why does the Narthex have a bunch of random couches.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So I'm trying FFV again (mobile version, it was literally free) and I want to try and get Blue Magic. How does getting it work, does the mage need to have a skill equipped or anything? Also, how missable are they? I'm at a boss that's a mage lady and her tank husband, and she uses aero, but getting it to hit Galuf in particular is not really working.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Momomo posted:

So I'm trying FFV again (mobile version, it was literally free) and I want to try and get Blue Magic. How does getting it work, does the mage need to have a skill equipped or anything? Also, how missable are they? I'm at a boss that's a mage lady and her tank husband, and she uses aero, but getting it to hit Galuf in particular is not really working.
Blue Mages have inherent Learning, they'll learn attacks when they get hit by them. You can also put Learning as your secondary skill on other classes after like... a level of Blue Mage.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Also, just use a guide for that poo poo, FF5 is a freaking SNES game so you're gonna be left guessing what attacks are Blue Magic, plus the supportive moves have to be cast by either Controlled or confused enemies. And some of the offensive ones. Plus you kind of want to know when you can Learn the Level X gently caress Up Enemy spells so you're not grinding.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Also apparently Blue Magic isn't really missable since I saw a guide on how to get all Blue Magic right before the end of the game

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
I haven't played a FF game since the International patch for FF12, is it worth playing XIII/2 or will I burn out before I get to LR?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Soho Joe posted:

I haven't played a FF game since the International patch for FF12, is it worth playing XIII/2 or will I burn out before I get to LR?

It's hard to say. Some people actually really like 'em. If you only had to play one I'd say LR is the best gameplay-wise but it's probably worth at least giving FFXIII a shot if you can get it cheap on sale. If you disliked FFXIII I wouldn't bother wtih XIII-2 unless being less linear is enough to get you interested.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Soho Joe posted:

have you played X-2? that's the most like 13 and 13-2 so if you liked it the gameplay of 13 will appeal

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
Thanks!

So long, dollars.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

have you played X-2? that's the most like 13 and 13-2 so if you liked it the gameplay of 13 will appeal

That should probably be clarified to say the battle system is similar (and event then, ehhhhh). Otherwise X-2 is about on the opposite end of the spectrum from XIII. X-2 is non-stop goofy poo poo, with completely nonlinear chapters full of nothing but (terrible) minigames. XIII is dry-as-bones serious, with a single linear path and nothing to do but battle.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

That should probably be clarified to say the battle system is similar (and event then, ehhhhh). Otherwise X-2 is about on the opposite end of the spectrum from XIII. X-2 is non-stop goofy poo poo, with completely nonlinear chapters full of nothing but (terrible) minigames. XIII is dry-as-bones serious, with a single linear path and nothing to do but battle.

did you miss me specifically saying gameplay or are you just being pedantic for the hell of it

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

"Gameplay" encompases a lot more than just the battle system. Most people would consider things like exploring the environments and playing minigames as part of the "gameplay" of a game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It's hard to say. Some people actually really like 'em. If you only had to play one I'd say LR is the best gameplay-wise but it's probably worth at least giving FFXIII a shot if you can get it cheap on sale. If you disliked FFXIII I wouldn't bother wtih XIII-2 unless being less linear is enough to get you interested.

Also if you felt XIII took itself too seriously, XIII-2 might appeal to you.

Granted, I guess I didn't necessarily hate XIII...I just was angry at it insulting me. That's how I feel about the ending, anyway.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Soho Joe posted:

don't play 13 or 13-2 imho

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Has anyone here actually just played only Lightning Returns? Just skipped right ahead to the third game in a connected RPG trilogy? I'd be very interested in hearing how and why someone would do that.

I mean, it's in the drat title. LIGHTNING RETURNS. If you never played XIIi-2, she didn't go anywhere. If you never played XIII-1, you don't even know who Lightning is.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NikkolasKing posted:

Has anyone here actually just played only Lightning Returns? Just skipped right ahead to the third game in a connected RPG trilogy? I'd be very interested in hearing how and why someone would do that.

I mean, it's in the drat title. LIGHTNING RETURNS. If you never played XIIi-2, she didn't go anywhere. If you never played XIII-1, you don't even know who Lightning is.
It's super strange Raiden got a sex change and can learn magic.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Schwartzcough posted:

"Gameplay" encompases a lot more than just the battle system. Most people would consider things like exploring the environments and playing minigames as part of the "gameplay" of a game.

SO pedantic it is then.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

SO pedantic it is then.

Basically, yeah.

NikkolasKing posted:

I've seen a Let's Play of the other games in the series, and I played through the XIII-2 Demo, but I basically skipped right to Lightning Returns. Hell, I pre-ordered it. I'd read enough about the first two to know their strengths and weaknesses and plots, so it's not like I went in blind. But LR's gameplay sounded much more up my alley than the other two.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Since everyone won't stop talking about pink-haired female Raiden, I would like for someone to sell me on any of the trilogy. Keep in mind, I only played FFIV a bit- post Mist Dragon murder and subsequent bombing- and have most of my FF hours sunk into FFRK. And as far as other genres go? Well... I like the shoostings and Diablo 3's mechanics are warming up to me.

In Training posted:

Lightning is absolutely nothing like Raiden.

I said sell me on it not further ruin it for me

widespread fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 28, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lightning is absolutely nothing like Raiden.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

Here's why's one would do that: It's the most fun game in the saga and you shouldn't give a crap about the story anyway because it is stupid and even stupider in XIII-2

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Lightning is exceedingly boring.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

widespread posted:

Since everyone won't stop talking about pink-haired female Raiden, I would like for someone to sell me on any of the trilogy. Keep in mind, I only played FFIV a bit- post Mist Dragon murder and subsequent bombing- and have most of my FF hours sunk into FFRK. And as far as other genres go? Well... I like the shoostings and Diablo 3's mechanics are warming up to me.

Do you think you can ride this chocobo?

A bit of a cliche response to listing XIII-2's positives but sometimes a cliche is the best answer.

As for other reasons to play XIII-2...uh....I'd say Caius but that tends to be a Love It or Hate it subject. I liked Noel but again, L/H. Hm. It's an extremely bizarre romp where the developers were clearly just throwing poo poo at the wall to see what stuck. It has puzzles, QTE's, quiz games, multiple endings, time travel, and much more. It's hard to pin down exactly why I like the game, to be honest.

But yes, Lightning is nowhere near as cool as Raiden. She reminds me more of the old Dante who the writers clearly though twas so cool but in reality he was anything but.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Lightning is...the rain transformed lol.