Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Why is everyone so mad about hoverboards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

zakharov posted:

Because I was promised proper hoverboards in 2015 not some lovely thing with 2 wheels that don't even hover.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The only thing that makes me truly annoyed about them is that they're called Hoverboards, a name that conjures a very specific thing that's not this. They're just the next transportation gimmick. They're not really any different from Segways, and once the smug novelty wears off they'll be about at that level of saturation in society too.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

LogisticEarth posted:

The irony in this post is that, years ago, the Razor-style mini-scooters were also crazy-popular holiday gifts, and also caused shitloads of injuries and falls when people got out and used them for the first time:

Example:
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2001-11-21/news/0111210139_1_riding-scooters-toys-toy-related-injuries

Obviously, scooters had been around forever but the razors were way more unstable as they were initially hyped for tricks and whatnot. Nowadays they seem pretty ubiquitous for kids.

fake edit: :corsair:

Razors have poo poo ground clearance and a bunch of the injuries came when people bottomed out their scooter on something like a sidewalk ramp.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ripstiks are cooler than hoverboards, though the latter might be easier to use when carrying something on both arms.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
^^^
lmfao

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
ripstiks are the dumbest thing ever.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I thought these forums were for old, mildly luddite bastards. Does no one remember the segway being "It", the miracle of technology that would change the way cities were designed, lives were lived, and bring us all into the New Jerusalem? Turns out they have some limited uses, especially for people who can stand but not walk very far, or for police inside large structures like airports who want to look silly and menacing simultaneously. And the hoverboard isn't even that useful.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The segway would have changed the way cities were designed because it doesn't work in cities as they currently exist.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

i flunked out posted:

ripstiks are the dumbest thing ever.

Hey, if you can't appreciate carving out sick moves in a suburban cul-de-sac, I just don't know what to say.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AlphaKretin posted:

But I mean, again, these stupid things aren't the first, fastest, or easiest to use product of its kind. Even if people are so lazy that "replacement for walking" is a product on par with loving mobile phones, that niche has already been filled by plenty of products that don't result in a page of crash pictures in this thread. Please tell me that me reading posts here as advocating these things is a gross misreading. Or else that the posts saying so are trolling and I'm just a fool.

E:

This is exactly the sort of comment I mean, the tone of others sounds like "oh you just hate them because :rolleyes:goons:rolleyes:, hover boards are totally the next phone".

lol u mad about toys

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Choco1980 posted:

The only thing that makes me truly annoyed about them is that they're called Hoverboards, a name that conjures a very specific thing that's not this. They're just the next transportation gimmick. They're not really any different from Segways, and once the smug novelty wears off they'll be about at that level of saturation in society too.

lol this is the most goonsay thing. thanks for showing us what lies beyond the cutting edge lmao

Cakefool posted:

The segway would have changed the way cities were designed because it doesn't work in cities as they currently exist.
segways made a bunch of city councils outlaw lil motorized things in public parks - somethng they never really had to bother with before because the market was 100% dominated by Power Wheels kids toys. so segway "changed" things sorta

EKDS5k posted:

Because they look fun but are too expensive to just buy on a whim. The only people who have them are people who can afford to spend hundreds of dollars on basically a toy.

Sour grapes, basically.
probly the most profound insight itt

bring back old gbs has a new favorite as of 18:47 on Dec 27, 2015

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

zakharov posted:

Because they look fun but are too expensive to just buy on a whim. The only people who have them are people who can afford to spend hundreds of dollars on basically a toy.

Sour grapes, basically.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

A millenial hoverround will get you to a walkable place in about half to 1/3 of the time.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Next year's fad: pennyfarthing bicycles :getin:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Yo man, we heard you like bikes, so we put a bike on your bike so you can bike while you bike!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

zakharov posted:

Far as I can tell it's weird goons getting bent out of shape over an item that has no productive use being bought and enjoyed.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I just think it's funny that people are getting hurt from their christmas gifts and that it's not me.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

gleebster posted:

I thought these forums were for old, mildly luddite bastards. Does no one remember the segway being "It", the miracle of technology that would change the way cities were designed, lives were lived, and bring us all into the New Jerusalem? Turns out they have some limited uses, especially for people who can stand but not walk very far, or for police inside large structures like airports who want to look silly and menacing simultaneously. And the hoverboard isn't even that useful.

The inventor of the Segway actually claimed it would revolutionize transportation and that cities would be changed to accommodate them. No one is making such claims about the hoverboard.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Data Graham posted:

Powered pennyfarthing bicycles.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

`Nemesis posted:

The inventor of the Segway actually claimed it would revolutionize transportation and that cities would be changed to accommodate them. No one is making such claims about the hoverboard.

And then a Chinese company started making knockoff Segways and selling so many of them that the Segway company sued them.

The Chinese company responded by buying the Segway company.

Hoverboard makers aren't making that mistake over again

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

LogisticEarth posted:

The irony in this post is that, years ago, the Razor-style mini-scooters were also crazy-popular holiday gifts, and also caused shitloads of injuries and falls when people got out and used them for the first time:

Yeah I beat the ever living poo poo out of my shins with that goddamn scooter back in the day.

This time I'll pull off the sick jump and 360 foot-board swing, I'm sure! *crack*

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The only way that doesn't end poorly is if Spiderman is right there and paying attention.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Arrath posted:

The only way that doesn't end poorly is if Spiderman is right there and paying attention.

Oh, that is destined to end superbly.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

organburner posted:

Because I was promised proper hoverboards in 2015 not some lovely thing with 2 wheels that don't even hover.

But imagine the injuries and injury videos that we would (will) get if (when) proper hoverboards came (come) out!

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Segway schadenfreude peaked when the CEO died after driving his off a cliff. Until a CEO hoverboards himself through a plate glass window 20 stories up, there's no contest.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

captainOrbital posted:

But imagine the injuries and injury videos that we would (will) get if (when) proper hoverboards came (come) out!

Future sidewalks will require little moats, so people don't float into traffic on their completely frictionless deathboards.
Preferably while spinning.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

MorgaineDax posted:

Segway schadenfreude peaked when the CEO died after driving his off a cliff. Until a CEO hoverboards himself through a plate glass window 20 stories up, there's no contest.

Hahaha wtf I never heard this:

quote:

At 11:40 a.m. on 26 September 2010, West Yorkshire Police received reports of a man falling 80 feet (24 m)[6] or 42 feet (13 m)[10] into the River Wharfe, at the village of Thorp Arch near Boston Spa, apparently having fallen from the cliffs above.[6] The fall from a narrow footpath was witnessed by a man walking his dog nearby.[10] A Segway vehicle was recovered and Heselden was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics.[6] Investigators said, "At this time we do not believe the death to be suspicious" and were investigating as to "whether there was a fault with his particular machine or it was driver error".[6]

On 4 October 2010, at an inquest at Leeds Coroner's Court, coroner David Hinchliff reported that a post-mortem examination had concluded that Heselden had suffered "multiple blunt force injuries of the chest and spine consistent with a fall whilst riding a gyrobike".[11]

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Hahaha wtf I never heard this:
It's fun to tell the story with the Creator thing and all but really he was just an engineer who worked on them iirc

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Incidentally, here's Tony Hawk riding what we all thought it would be when we heard "Hoverboards" were the hot new toy this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSheVhmcYLA

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Choco1980 posted:

Incidentally, here's Tony Hawk riding what we all thought it would be when we heard "Hoverboards" were the hot new toy this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSheVhmcYLA

This is really the entire problem, the hoverboards are oriented horizontally and not vertically. They're a segway without the handle, not a skateboard without wheels like in Back to the Future. If the company making them hadn't gotten that part wrong then I think more people would be into them.

Come on, there's no way this isn't a photoshop.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Wanamingo posted:

This is really the entire problem, the hoverboards are oriented horizontally and not vertically. They're a segway without the handle, not a skateboard without wheels like in Back to the Future. If the company making them hadn't gotten that part wrong then I think more people would be into them.

You know a product is garbage when a motorizing a skateboard is the practical, safer alternative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqlrru1V69E

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Wanamingo posted:

It's really this - the Hoverboard and the Segway before it are awkward because they are controlled by standing upright and leaning forward and backward. This is a pretty unnatural motion that nobody ever does otherwise so it's very easy to gently caress up. I think a product that tackles the problem better is the Onewheel (I'm not an investor or an owner of one, honest) because shifting your balance from foot to foot is more natural to people.
http://rideonewheel.com/

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyeE71yrQwk
Not too far out of the realm of possibility.

EDIT:
Taller unicycle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqzW-oZuptY
How do you embed timestamps into youtube videos on SA now? Schadenfreude that I don't know how to SA anymore :(

sudonim has a new favorite as of 22:53 on Dec 27, 2015

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MisterOblivious posted:

You know a product is garbage when a motorizing a skateboard is the practical, safer alternative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqlrru1V69E

You're telling me more people can ride an product that's been around 30+ years than one that came out this year?!?!?!?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

FCKGW posted:

You're telling me more people can ride an product that's been around 30+ years than one that came out this year?!?!?!?

That doesn't sound like what they're saying at all ??

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

This is still going. :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Wanamingo posted:

They're called Giraffe Unicycles, and there are ones bigger than that. I saw a seven-metre unicycle once. The rider was holding onto the rafters in a gym.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5vvodIYivg