Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

skipThings posted:

that is why I never got into CK despite my best efforts, poo poo is wicked dumb
The world is wicked dumb
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_I,_Holy_Roman_Emperor#Third_Crusade_and_death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

it's still not fun in a game

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

skipThings posted:

it's still not fun in a game

Why are you here?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
When you're playing ironman, unexpected events that derail your plans make for the best kind of fun.

If you're a gigantic baby who reloads every time something doesn't go their way, I guess I could see how you wouldn't like that sort of thing. Doing that makes the game pretty boring though.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this

pwnyXpress posted:

Why are you here?

I like to read the LP's and understand the game and look at the pictures, always wanted to play CK to EU, but can't be bothered , what's your excuse ?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TheBlackRoija posted:

Unless ck2+ changes it, leading armies doesn't have an effect on you getting an heir. Your sperm can travel great distances back to your court no matter where you are in the world, so long as you aren't imprisoned.
It does increase your chances of untimely death or becoming a vegetable though.

If you're away from your court you get a 100% reduction in fertility and reduction in spy power. In CK2Plus that is.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Jabor posted:

When you're playing ironman, unexpected events that derail your plans make for the best kind of fun.

If you're a gigantic baby who reloads every time something doesn't go their way, I guess I could see how you wouldn't like that sort of thing. Doing that makes the game pretty boring though.

Unexpected events that derail my plans can make for good fun. Making me go through the motions of dismissing my levies, reraising my levies, redeclaring a war I had won and spending time sieging down a basically defeated foe rarely makes for good fun, though. I guess like 5% of the time they can maybe make a miraculous comeback, but usually I had that war won for a reason and resetting my warscore due to ruler death isn't going to change the outcome.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

YouTuber posted:

If you're away from your court you get a 100% reduction in fertility and reduction in spy power. In CK2Plus that is.

For the record, this only applies if you are away commanding troops (if you're, say, one of your liege's councillors it is fine).

Realistically I should pitch a change to that so it doesn't apply to nomads (or maybe if your wife/lover is in the same army as you - that's something that could be done relatively easily), but nomads don't need any more buffs and you can still forbid yourself from leading troops or resign as your liege's commander (I don't recall that we have changed anything about that option) and go back to boning.

TheMcD posted:

Unexpected events that derail my plans can make for good fun. Making me go through the motions of dismissing my levies, reraising my levies, redeclaring a war I had won and spending time sieging down a basically defeated foe rarely makes for good fun, though. I guess like 5% of the time they can maybe make a miraculous comeback, but usually I had that war won for a reason and resetting my warscore due to ruler death isn't going to change the outcome.

I don't remember precisely which CBs invalidate on ruler death, but it isn't all of them and most of the time it's the ones that depend on claims that didn't get inherited, or that are really about "personal" contribution (crusades).

To the extent it isn't fun, it's because war in Paradox games is kind of a chore, especially the comedically uneven ones (and that's unfortunately not going to change because most of the chore is down to UI and it'd take drastic changes to fix that), but the fun to be found there is always going to have to be in shaking your fist at the gods and going back to the drawing board to re-engineer another situation where you can grab that land or cripple that annoying neighbour.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 27, 2015

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Though it definitely would be really convenient if you could just say "oh yeah I'm gonna carry on that war my dad was fighting" instead of having to bring all your levies home, declare the war, and then re-raise them. Perhaps just an exemption to the usual "must not have levies raised" condition for if you're redeclaring a war that got recently cancelled due to someone's death? And you get to keep the occupation going if you redeclare the same day that it's cancelled?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Maybe get rid of the "war ends on death" mechanic save for rebellions (and even then, children should inherit the rebellion) so we don't have to game our way back.

VVV EDIT: That's the worst. VVV

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 28, 2015

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Seems I have misremembered, though the wars that end when your character dies are annoying too. What really annoyed me were the wars that end when your target dies. I mean, I guess it fits in with the casus belli system, but it's just a bitch.

"What, you're currently in a war to make Count Fuckface VI of Whogivesashit your vassal because he is your vassal de jure? Well, I have a surprise for you, Count Fuckface VI died, and Count Fuckface VII is now ruling Whogivesashit, rendering your war null and void! See you in a month when you're going to stomp our face in again!"

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Maybe get rid of the "war ends on death" mechanic save for rebellions (and even then, children should inherit the rebellion) so we don't have to game our way back.

VVV EDIT: That's the worst. VVV

It would be better if, for certain CB's, you just got an event that fired immediately upon inheriting that was literally just "Your father's war is going well! Do you <press the advantage and continue the fight> or <don't>?".

I mean let's assume your elderly dad is waging a holy war. Chances are pretty decent that his heir is also leading troops with him in that war. Do you think that when dad kicks the bucket, the son is just gonna look around and say "welp, screw this, let's all just go back home now!" I kinda doubt it!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Anyone got any advice on how to be Zoroastrian in Tabriz 769?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Drone posted:

It would be better if, for certain CB's, you just got an event that fired immediately upon inheriting that was literally just "Your father's war is going well! Do you <press the advantage and continue the fight> or <don't>?".

I mean let's assume your elderly dad is waging a holy war. Chances are pretty decent that his heir is also leading troops with him in that war. Do you think that when dad kicks the bucket, the son is just gonna look around and say "welp, screw this, let's all just go back home now!" I kinda doubt it!

I don't know, what traits does the son have? I kind of feel like an interesting thing would be to have options there but also force them. If the son is craven then it would make sense to force him to go "gently caress this I'm out" but if he's zealous make him keep fighting even if the crusade is going poorly.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you're pressing Jack Dynastymember's claim on the Duchy of Gimme and ol' Jack dies of depression or whatever at age 39 when you're at 93% warscore, but his claim was inheritable, there's no reason besides "gently caress you" that the war should automatically end, rather than you just continue to press the same claim which Jack Dynastymember II has inherited.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you're pressing Jack Dynastymember's claim on the Duchy of Gimme and ol' Jack dies of depression or whatever at age 39 when you're at 93% warscore, but his claim was inheritable, there's no reason besides "gently caress you" that the war should automatically end, rather than you just continue to press the same claim which Jack Dynastymember II has inherited.

I'm 95% sure this is what happens? The only time the war ends is when the claim was NOT inheritable, or the Lord who was claimed against dies (and the claim becomes invalid due to his heir being in a different realm, religion, whatever).

For instance I recently had to murder 3 generations of Orleans dukes to get them to stop pressing their claim against the French king - their war did not stop until the last Weak Claim failed to inherit

or is the AI subject to different rules?

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 28, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Excelzior posted:

I'm 95% sure this is what happens? The only time the war ends is when the claim was NOT inheritable, or the Lord who was claimed against dies (and the claim becomes invalid due to his heir being in a different realm, religion, whatever).

For instance I recently had to murder 3 generations of Orleans dukes to get them to stop pressing their claim against the French king - their war did not stop until the last Weak Claim failed to inherit

One of us, probably me, is misremembering because I recently did almost exactly the same thing and my recollection is that they just kept instantly re-pressing the claim (which always becomes inheritable as soon as it's pressed IIRC), not that the war continues unabated.

e: Now that I think about it, yeah, it's me that's misremembering.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Excelzior posted:

Does it change if you press a strong claim, the claimant dies and passes on a weak claim and the target is no longer valid?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

chippocrates posted:

Does it change if you press a strong claim, the claimant dies and passes on a weak claim and the target is no longer valid?

Yeah, this is probably what I was misremembering.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Vichan posted:

Meet the Banu Taghlib sultanate, the new and improved Abbasid clowncar!

I'm more interested in the Constantinople horde in the top right corner.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

skipThings posted:

I like to read the LP's and understand the game and look at the pictures, always wanted to play CK to EU, but can't be bothered , what's your excuse ?

I have 1000+ hours in this game and fail at life.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

pwnyXpress posted:

You didn't need to mention the first part.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
This game is crazy good fun. I saw Matilda of Tuscany brought up earlier in this thread, so I started a game and made Italy/won a crusade/broke up the HRE before she kicked the bucket. Who are some other interesting vassal characters to start with?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Duke of Aquitaine in 1066 is pretty strong and you can form Aquitane quite easily in a generation or two.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

duke of aquitaine is crazy strong at any start date

even in 769 you can either be a powerful ally to Charlemagne or challenge him for supremacy before he inherits middle francia

e: mostly because he's also duke of Poitou, making him a Great Duke

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this

pwnyXpress posted:

that's fine :glomp:

someone tell me how to enjoy CK2 despite that lovely "well your dad died, no more war", poo poo

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

skipThings posted:

someone tell me how to enjoy CK2 despite that lovely "well your dad died, no more war", poo poo

Savescum.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Very true. I'll play Ironman in EU4 with no problem, but in CK2 half the time I play I've got the console open doing wizardry to fix all of the bullshit.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I mod the game so much I forgot what it's like to actually play the game.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

people posted:

Duke of Aquitaine

I like it thanks.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've game overed like 5 times from inheriting a theocracy somehow so I just never do Ironman.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

skipThings posted:

I have 1000+ hours of CK2 and that happened to me like twice? Is annoying but not such a big problem you huge baby.

And you can always reload the latest autosave, you dont have to play ironman (unless you are a masochist).

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
well, I am a lazy masochist who doesn't want to bother to learn console spells

if everyones answer is just "learn to have fun like me/differently" it won't win me over

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

skipThings posted:

if everyones answer is just "learn to have fun like me/differently" it won't win me over

Cool dude, maybe this game isn't for you then?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

skipThings posted:

You should try candy crush it's a good game.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

skipThings posted:

Keep going. You make it sound like it occurs often. It does not.

Besides which, it goes both ways. Want to stop a war against you or someone else? Plot to kill them.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Darth Windu posted:

You should try candy crush it's a good game.

Heh good one. Getting defensive about games is cool

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

skipThings posted:

The console spell you speak of is just reloading the save from the menu so idk

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I...kind of want to hear this Pope's story.

Like how does that happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I...kind of want to hear this Pope's story.

Like how does that happen?

For those that don't have such a keen eye as ToxicSlurpee, I assume he's referring to that pope having the peasant leader trait (ie: he led a peasant rebellion).

I had a Pope like that in my current game too, it's weird and neat.

• Locked thread