Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
The nice part of not playing this game for like a year between moving from 360 to PC is realizing how much of a poo poo I don't give about most of the money sinks (e.g. cars) so I'm selling off pretty much every car except the ~3 I drive on a regular basis. I could get a T20 but I don't race regularly enough and therefore I don't need to spend 2+ million on a car. I'd rather get a stupid novelty plane for that money instead!

I mean yeah there's a lot of moneysink and treadmill in GTAO but some of it we do to ourselves :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:
basically, im gay

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Zenzizenzizenzic posted:

My rear end is free.

not for long

Cute as heck posted:

basically, im gay

UserErr0r
May 4, 2006
Replace User

orcane posted:

It's pretty telling how little they cared about the singleplayer mode since the game was released. The only major thing I can remember was adding the quick menu but even that is underused compared to the online version. They can't even be arsed adding half the cars anymore (oh noes someone might break singleplayer missions with an armored car, woe is me!).

They probably have to ensure that nothing breaks the single player, as that's the main part of GTA5. I'm not talking like people using armored cars to make missions super easy, but that nothing causes the game to become unplayable. This includes loading additional assets affecting the minimum system requirements. They also probably don't want to have to do QA on the entire single player every three months to see if apartments, penthouses, yachts, armored cars, etc. make it unplayable.
e: but now that we're about to hit the one year anniversary of the PC release in spring, who knows if we're hitting the end of new-content updates
e2: but if DLC cars aren't added to single player, that might just be Rockstar wanting people to drop money on sharkcards to test the new cars in multiplayer instead of getting them for free in singleplayer.

UserErr0r fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Dec 28, 2015

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

I just sorta screw around doing whatever and eventually someone starts spraying money bags at me and it works out pretty ok. Isn't that what everyone usually does to get money? There wouldn't be 10 yachts in every lobby if money wasn't easily available

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
y'all jealous of my disposable income, you can rage about my affluence whilst tuggin' your lil wieners in your moms basement but i'll be a citizen of the stars in my glorious RSI javelin class destroyer. just you wait and see.

-a. whale

titties
May 10, 2012

Marzzle posted:

There wouldn't be 10 yachts in every lobby if money wasn't easily available

So far the only yachts I've seen on console have been owned by goons. Aside from the odd car-dupe glitch we mostly run missions and heists to make money which some people might find shocking.

Jose Mengelez posted:

you can rage about my affluence whilst tuggin' your lil wieners in your moms basement

ok I am and I'm doing all of it pretty angrily.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Being away from this game for five days made me forget the true spirit of GTA Online: getting all the toys by any means and bathing in the salt of the righteous.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

titties posted:

So far the only yachts I've seen on console have been owned by goons. Aside from the odd car-dupe glitch we mostly run missions and heists to make money which some people might find shocking.

ok I am and I'm doing all of it pretty angrily.

I dunno, it seems like on PC they are common place

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I wonder why that is.

UserErr0r posted:

They probably have to ensure that nothing breaks the single player, as that's the main part of GTA5. I'm not talking like people using armored cars to make missions super easy, but that nothing causes the game to become unplayable. This includes loading additional assets affecting the minimum system requirements. They also probably don't want to have to do QA on the entire single player every three months to see if apartments, penthouses, yachts, armored cars, etc. make it unplayable.
e: but now that we're about to hit the one year anniversary of the PC release in spring, who knows if we're hitting the end of new-content updates
e2: but if DLC cars aren't added to single player, that might just be Rockstar wanting people to drop money on sharkcards to test the new cars in multiplayer instead of getting them for free in singleplayer.

Yeah I get that. IIRC the heist update cars were specifically not added so people would play heists instead, I mean it's no big deal but it's also very clear where their priorities lie (it's in the game mode where they hope to make more money from monopoly money sales instead of the one-and-done singleplayer mode they already have your money from).

I was still hoping they'd port at least a handful of improvements from Online to singleplayer in the >2 years it has been out. Especially the garage system :(

titties
May 10, 2012

Marzzle posted:

I dunno, it seems like on PC they are common place

When I said "on console" I mean that I'm playing on PS4 so there are no hackers showering us with money (any more).

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Too many people going into meltdown mode to satisfy Dr. Tim Whatley's need to indulge in some sort of smug,

Erm, if there's any smug here, it's the people who feel the need to go on for pages about how bad it is for someone to spend their own money in a matter they see fit, and then when called out on it attempt to claim the moral high ground by saying that it will "encourage Rockstar to do it for future titles", as if there was ever any motivation behind dogpiling one or two people beyond smug circlejerking and feeling superior to begin with. I have to wonder why so many people are offended by someone spending their money on what they enjoy (and then not even regretting it, how dare they?) Seems more like envy than anything else. Either that or a desperate need to turn someone into a punching bag. Probably both.

If that's your thing, then go for it, but don't accuse the people you're fervently dogpiling of it. The smug in this thread is off the loving charts.

Sapient Afro
Jan 22, 2012

Well, you threatened to shove a knife up his dickhole.

Y'all shoulda just gotten in on the ground floor like me. All the money glitches and hackers back in the early days of old gen GTA have kept me sweet over the past two years without having to spend a single realbuck or grind Rooftop Rumble like a chump.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Mr Scumbag posted:

Erm, if there's any smug here, it's the people who feel the need to go on for pages about how bad it is for someone to spend their own money in a matter they see fit, and then when called out on it attempt to claim the moral high ground by saying that it will "encourage Rockstar to do it for future titles", as if there was ever any motivation behind dogpiling one or two people beyond smug circlejerking and feeling superior to begin with. I have to wonder why so many people are offended by someone spending their money on what they enjoy (and then not even regretting it, how dare they?) Seems more like envy than anything else. Either that or a desperate need to turn someone into a punching bag. Probably both.

If that's your thing, then go for it, but don't accuse the people you're fervently dogpiling of it. The smug in this thread is off the loving charts.

thar she blows!

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Jose Mengelez posted:

thar she blows!

I've spent a total of $20 on Shark Cards since the game released in 2013, so not so much. I'm just weirdly apathetic about how other people spend their own money, since it's not really any of my business to regulate someone else's finances through shame or any other method. loving nuts, I know. Someone can disagree with a group of people on an Internet forum without feeling like they, themselves are being attacked!

But being smug, amirite? Found the fatty!? However you can be the most dismissive while expending the least amount of effort. As long as you fit in with the mob!

UserErr0r
May 4, 2006
Replace User

orcane posted:

Especially the garage system :(

It kind of annoyed me not really being able to enjoy random cars and having to use the characters' default vehicle for everything

Are you able to buy cars in single player, and have them return to your garage if you "abandon" them?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

UserErr0r posted:

It kind of annoyed me not really being able to enjoy random cars and having to use the characters' default vehicle for everything

Are you able to buy cars in single player, and have them return to your garage if you "abandon" them?

There's no 100% safe way of keeping a car forever other than parking it in your separate purchased garage every single time you're done with it. Learned that the hard way with the reward for the ufo collectibles.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Mr Scumbag posted:

I've spent a total of $20 on Shark Cards since the game released in 2013, so not so much. I'm just weirdly apathetic about how other people spend their own money, since it's not really any of my business to regulate someone else's finances through shame or any other method. loving nuts, I know. Someone can disagree with a group of people on an Internet forum without feeling like they, themselves are being attacked!

But being smug, amirite? Found the fatty!? However you can be the most dismissive while expending the least amount of effort. As long as you fit in with the mob!

man the harpoons!

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

We hate shark cards so much is because Rockstar is being hamfisted about their microtransactions. Like, a hundred realbux for 8 million funbux? Who the gently caress besides Dr. Tim Whatley (seriously dude, you have a problem, I shudder to think what your other spending habits are like) is going to waste that much money? I could buy two games for a next-gen console or a crapton of games on Steam since there's always sales going on there. There are better things to spend your realbux on. And of course, Rockstar abuses this system buy making all the new content grossly overpriced so you no choice but to buy shark cards so you don't spend an eternity grinding missions or heists, and good luck completing heists with all the idiot pubbies.

Rockstar is only in it for the money, why do you think they crack down on money spawning but leave the griefers who love to blow up everyone in the session alone? Freeroam in the PC version is almost unplayable due to rampant hacking. But hey, I've profited from all the money showers at least. There's a reason why my yacht is called the S.S. Cashgrab.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I think I've spent a total of $40 in game, and that was before money showers became a thing.

Then one day I was cursed with a drop that wouldn't turn off for 2 or 3 hours, so I feel like I made that money wasted back several hundred fold.

If Rockstar rolled everything back I'd end up uninstalling and never looking back, and going back to Warframe and talking myself out of their microtransactions every couple of weeks.

I'm only playing now because I have 1 IRL friend that gets on when I am. The game has lost a lot of it's fun.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

hagie posted:

I'm only playing now because I have 1 IRL friend that gets on when I am. The game has lost a lot of it's fun.

Hanging out with goons is basically the only reason I keep playing this dumb game. Even that is losing my interest. Almost every goon I've hung out with seems only interested in killing pubbies and causing mayhem, which is fine because we are Something Awful and trolling pubbies is our thing, but even that gets old after a while. Not that there is anything else to really do in the game though. :v:

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
For months, Goons were obsessed with the trains. We would spend so much time getting on the train, then once we did...we did nothing after that.

To me there is nothing to do but grief the pubbies. I don't like racing, I'm not going to mountain bike (don't even do that poo poo IRL), driving around giving the finger in passive has long since lost its luster. Even if there were fun group activities, it would just end up getting crashed by modders.

Has the "goons on the same team" thing kind of gone to the wayside? Lately I've seen some newer names from the PC crowd dying to kill me with their insurgents and all. Always thought we established it was mostly same team kind of mentality. I stepped away from this thread about the time Metal Gear came out, then fell into FO4 and neither are recalling pulling my attention back.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Starhawk64 posted:

We hate shark cards so much is because Rockstar is being hamfisted about their microtransactions. Like, a hundred realbux for 8 million funbux? Who the gently caress besides Dr. Tim Whatley (seriously dude, you have a problem, I shudder to think what your other spending habits are like) is going to waste that much money? I could buy two games for a next-gen console or a crapton of games on Steam since there's always sales going on there. There are better things to spend your realbux on. And of course, Rockstar abuses this system buy making all the new content grossly overpriced so you no choice but to buy shark cards so you don't spend an eternity grinding missions or heists, and good luck completing heists with all the idiot pubbies.

Rockstar is only in it for the money, why do you think they crack down on money spawning but leave the griefers who love to blow up everyone in the session alone? Freeroam in the PC version is almost unplayable due to rampant hacking. But hey, I've profited from all the money showers at least. There's a reason why my yacht is called the S.S. Cashgrab.

I agree with you. The prices are crazy. It's the reason I've only spent $20 on cards to give myself a bit of a headstart in the beginning. (The car dupe exploit gave me another 12mil before I got bored with it) I'd never spend the amount they want for yachts and other bullshit. $100 for an imaginary yacht that does fuckall is horseshit. One of those reasons is because it's overpriced, the other is that I've played the game for more than 30 mins and know that none of it will really matter in terms of giving me an advantage. I'll still have to grind levels and heists to get the good stuff.

As for spending an "eternity" grinding stuff. Maybe for a Yacht or a few of the high end cars, but you can have a top-end apartment within a few hours and fast, armoured cars in a few more. That's the extent of "essentials" that will keep you competitive if you're not a mongoloid. This is only a problem if you are one of those people who feels like they need everything, which seems to be a bigger and bigger segment of gamers these days. Yeah, shits overpriced - also, most of the poo poo is completely optional and pointless. If you feel like you have to have absolutely everything to enjoy a game, then you might want to find another hobby.

In the end, there's people who can afford all of that and who want it. So what? Many of the people who spend the money probably spend hundreds of hours playing the game. And even if they don't I still don't see why it's the job of Something Awful Dot Com to expend so many pages to police someone's spending habits. Why do we care so much that we have to whine about it for multiple pages? Sorry, but the moral highground excuse sounds like bullshit to me, having been around this forum for a while it just seems like people are piling on because they like to have a designated whipping boy in every thread, and they are just plain jealous that there's people out there who can comfortably afford to obtain everything in a game they enjoy, while they themselves have to risk bans or "grind" to do the same.

That's my problem. It's the same old poo poo: Goons all finding an excuse to dogpile one or two people in a gaming thread because they are doing something majority doesn't approve of for arbitrary reasons. It's just juvenile and smug.

But hey, at least I've painted a giant target on my own chest now, so have at it!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Mr Scumbag posted:

That's my problem. It's the same old poo poo: Goons all finding an excuse to dogpile one or two people in a gaming thread because they are doing something majority doesn't approve of for arbitrary reasons. It's just juvenile and smug.

But hey, at least I've painted a giant target on my own chest now, so have at it!

I take it, then, that you missed the part where our designated whipping boy was giving us poo poo with every post for not dancing to Rockstar's tune, insisting that you could totally afford all these toys by grinding for a few hours a week (you can't) and that our complaints about game balancing were just whining and that we should do as Rockstar said like good little boys and girls.

Then he revealed that he'd spent a load of money on shark cards, making a lie of everything he'd been bitching at us about. Instead of being humble at being caught out in a hilariously pathetic lie that never added up in the first place, he decided to double down by changing tack to "get rich, stupid poors :smuggo:".

So now he gets poo poo on forever. I hope this was informative to you.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I love nothing more than simply loving around in the sandbox that is online.

If I want to troll pubbies by placing proxy mines in strategic locations, I do. Even that sometimes becomes more of an experiment than anything, trying to figure out where the best spots are to lay a trap.

Racing, heists, missions and event playlists are fun, especially with a group of goons.

And as much fun as those modes are, some of my favorite times in-game have simply been dicking around doing nothing at all. Sitting as a passenger as someone drives from one end of the map to the other. Trying to fit the big orange ball onto a truck. Trying to carry stuff an a flatbed trailer. Picking up a sailboat with a Cargobob.

The dumb stuff doesn't cost any money to do, and is fun as hell to boot.

For buying new toys, I don't begrudge anyone for buying shark cards, as that poo poo's expensive. But Jesus, know when to stop buying the drat things too.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This game is simultaneously the best and worst online game around. Failing to get into sessions then failing missions 20 times to crap pubbies is terrible, but get 8-16 people in a private session on mics and the entire GTA formula is just tailor-made for fun. I've done a few sessions arranged by Next Gen GTA and they were a total blast. Achievement Hunter have done 100+ videos that are great examples of how fun the game can be with a handful of good friends.

Unfortunately my own friends, while having good qualities, are either serial MMO grinders or highly competitive gamers in a way that doesn't gel with the knockabout sense of fun that GTA demands, so they're no use to me there.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Doing any of the events on the Rooster Teeth channel on youtube would be great fun with goons:
https://youtu.be/EtRlVp4mnGU

(Sorry to the goon I shot last night, didn't realize you were a goon)

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I just grabbed two more megalodon cards and I hardly play this anymore.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I just grabbed two more megalodon cards and I hardly play this anymore.

have u considered stamp collecting?

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Starhawk64 posted:

Rockstar(take2) is only in it for the money, why do you think they crack down on money spawning but leave the griefers who love to blow up everyone in the session alone?

yep and nope respectively.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3682735&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=447#post454074914

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

coupedeville posted:

Coupe, mom and dad are still fighting over who makes more money. They've been at it for pages and won't stop soon. Wanna go get high and drunk in the park?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

coupedeville posted:

As far as real things go I do collect vintage LL bean clothing, guess that's pretty dumb since it takes up a lot of space.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Starhawk64 posted:

My friend lost all his money because of a rockstar server error and when he ticketed them their response was "we don't restore cash but have you heard of sharkcards?" lol

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I wish they lifted the restriction on the Blista Compact and the Stallion.

It's been a while, they should at least release it as a DLC or something.

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.
I drive backwards or flyupside down for a little while every few hours to replenish my ammo sticky bomb monies.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I wish they lifted the restriction on the Blista Compact and the Stallion.

It's been a while, they should at least release it as a DLC or something.

Don't worry, you can buy them when GTA V and Online get re-re-re-released on the next next gen consoles, as a returning user!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wee Bairns posted:

Trying to fit the big orange ball onto a truck.
I had too much fun with the big orange ball today, for some reason. It quite literally provided several actual hours of entertainment for me, and I have (at time of writing this) 377 hours in GTA5 according to Steam (plus another +1000 hours or so in GTA:VC, GTA:SA, and GTA4 combined).

GTA has also been a bit of a meditative thing for me - where I can just put on some good music and just cruise around.

If you ask me, the game doesn't have to be poo poo or unfun, if you don't let it be.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Anyone else really digging the VIP addition? Makes for a much more interesting sandbox game.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Yeah, VIP adds a bit of extra fun, especially if you can get a few VIP groups going and doing the VIP versus VIP missions.
The dynamic events (not sure what they're actually called; the new things that show up during free-roam) are all a bit of fun too, even if I'm quite poo poo at some of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I was prepared to hate the VIP stuff, and while it gets old after a while, it's good for when you're with friends and don't want to deal with the hassle of mission lobbies and loading screens. Especially with a low-level player or two to absorb some easy free money and RP for doing essentially nothing.

• Locked thread