Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

fuzzknot posted:

Oh my God; do not insult Foley artists. I used to be one. :argh: I don't think Sandi's talented enough even to do her natural snake hiss well.
naw I'm just funnin' around. foley work and sound design is super interesting to me

Scruffpuff posted:

Let's work through an example of how far along this game is coming. Here is the $31 million stretch goal, reached on 11/25/2013:

RSI Orion – Roberts Space Industries’ goal has always been to make the stars available to individual Citizens. Now, with the RSI Orion mining platform, RSI is letting individuals take over a process formerly controlled by megacorporations. The Orion’s features include high-grade turret-mounted tractor beam arrays, durable exterior-accessible ‘saddlebags’ for mineral storage and a cabin designed by the team that brought you the Aurora and Constellation!

Holy poo poo! Not just a mining ship, this is a mining platform. It includes:

- Turret-mounted tractor beam arrays
- Mineral storage bags
- A place to sit your rear end and masturbate furiously to the sound of lasers cutting into rocks

Based on other games that exist and can be played right now, and based on past games that existed and could at one time be played, we can reasonably expect the following:

- Asteroids or other floating debris and/or salvageable objects
- These objects will break down into several discrete types of materials; minerals, metals, etc.
- These materials can undergo several stages of refinement
- The refined materials can be sold on the marketplace, or, alternately...
- ... They can be used in the crafting system to manufacture things, things like;
- - weapons
- - modules
- - ships

I think it's safe to say that most space games have had a system at least this complex. Let's see how Star Citizen measures up:

- Asteroids have no function in the game - they are simply generic objects with collision enabled
- There are no basic materials existing in the game
- There is no refinement to materials in the game, since there are no materials in the game
- There is no marketplace, or any other economy, in the game
- There is no crafting in the game
- The weapon/module system is not yet implemented in the game
- The only ships available in the game are to be purchased from CIG directly

What we do have:

- A Cryengine mod with spaceship graphics instead of Prophet

This is over 2 years, and an additional $70 million, after the mining platform stretch goal was reached. Remember that they promised to include this goal in the game even if funding stopped at $31 million. It more than tripled that goal. And nothing is built except a tech demo.
lol does this game even have an inventory yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Decrepus posted:

There were a LOT of racist posts about that black guy who asked Chris a question about fish tanks. As if every 10 for the chairman isn't filled with retarded questions.

Reddit.com is notorious for its racism and misogyny, it's the only reason it's ever been newsworthy at all.

It's literally the worst website on the whole internet.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Ash1138 posted:

Yes, CIG has a huge inventory of useless expensive furniture.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Ash1138 posted:

Another poster here attempted to put some office furniture in his ship - I think he got a chair in the back before the game crashed. That is sort of an inventory, right? But that leads us to another technicality:

- No persistence

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

You know he's a lying moron when he can't even get the facts right. I never asked for my pledge back.

Why let a little thing like facts get in the way of the narrative?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So a question was asked on the forums:

The responses:

Level of hand-waving:

...and still, what they are describing sounds like the most boring, unfun, grindy way of approaching the issue possible.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

It makes me feel weird to read this stuff now...

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
I was on a Discord server and Star Citizen got randomly brought up. I said I had a cheap $20 pack from last years anniversary sale but that I was displeased with the progress of the game. Random guy proceeds to explain to me how an alpha works. I told him that wasn't the issue I had with the game.

"But dude, it's alpha."
That's great. I understand they are still working on the game. My main issues are that after 5 years, nothing works. The way they are alpha'ing is broken and stupid. They are working on making pretty explosions and hiring actors before actually having a finished or nearly finished product. They should come clean and say multiplayer is not going to be ready for 2016 and focus on single player. And maybe stop buying expensive furniture.
"Dude you have no idea how an alpha works. You're so dumb. They are still building the game."
.......................... So you agree that the game won't be finished for a 2016 release?
"Lol dude let me link you to wikipedia about what an alpha means."
I understand what an alpha is. Do you think they will be able to progress from alpha to feature finished game by 2016? Working single player AND working multiplayer?
"Dude you're so loving stupid. I'm done with this conversation." *Leaves Discord*
:suicide101:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

double nine posted:

So I'd like a quote on that please. Not saying this isn't true but it ... it's too stupid to be believable.

Here's everything I could find on the actual "design" behind Star Citizen:

Design & Development Posts
2012-10-20: Physics
2012-11-12: Instancing
2012-11-27: Insurance
2013-02-05: Death of a Spaceman
2013-04-30: Space Suit System
2013-05-07: Lifetime Insurance
2013-07-05: The Star Citizen Economy
2014-06-16: Flight Model & Input Controls
2014-06-27: AI Design
2014-09-12: Ship Balancing and Stats
2014-10-24: Ship Design Pipeline
2014-11-21: Healing
2014-12-06: Multi-Crew Ship Systems
2015-01-31: mobiGlas
2015-02-07: Shields & Management
2015-02-14: Rental Equipment Credits
2015-02-20: Mining
2015-03-07: New Damage Model
2015-03-13: Hardpoint System
2015-04-11: Stances & Breathing
2015-04-25: Cargo Interaction
2015-06-26: Passenger Transport
2015-09-30: The Endeavor
2015-11-19: Ship Repair and Maintenance

Meanwhile as a comparison here is where Frontier shared its information on game mechanics. The gold posts at the beginning are design posts by FDev containing "finalized proposals" on a variety of topics.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Are any of those proposed systems actually encoded in any form into the game engine?

The section on Mining is excellent. Percentage of feature currently in game: 0%.

So I have a philosophical question: what is the difference between a design, and just talking poo poo? None of those guides has any grounding in any work CIG has done. So are they valid? Or just wishes?

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 29, 2015

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

fuctifino posted:

Yes, CIG has a huge inventory of useless expensive furniture.

Excuse me, excuse me sir :goonsay:

quote:

[–]samfreezFreelancer 0 points 4 days ago
Finding something on the internet is not proof.
You continue to assume I'm saying they're above reproach. They're not, but without ANY evidence (aside from Google searches? Come on... lol) you've got nothing more than your warped perception and the raving lunacy of an obviously unstable man as "proof". You're reading what you want to read out of the situation based on the words of an obviously highly biased opponent of CIG (Derek Smalls) and taking them as fact.
Instead, you SHOULD be looking for actual evidence, or at the other aspect of the project that can be quantified; the game.
It's shaping up, whether you choose to admit it or not. Alpha 2.0 is a big step from Arena Commander, and it'll only get better as they continue to work. They've got tons of highly experienced and talented staff working for them, and even you have to admit you've had a twinge of "oh drat, that's good...." when looking at some of the recent footage.
So, what proof do you have? If they did indeed have a big golden statue, that would be evidence of SOMETHING, because it makes a claim of sort. A piece of furniture could have come from anywhere, even someone's home, because people DO own stuff, especially well-paid developers, programmers and artists. They LIKE buying neat things, I've heard!
Without a verifiable source for the purchase, you're making assumptions, plain and simple.
If you don't realize that, you've got some serious gaps in the logic center of your brain.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Ash1138 posted:

naw I'm just funnin' around. foley work and sound design is super interesting to me

Oh, I know; I was saying I don't think she's good enough even to do terrible Foley work.

It was indeed very interesting work, but I didn't want to move to LA because of the cost of living, etc., so I have a boring real job now.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

MeLKoR posted:

What claim would a big gold statue make? Chris could certainly own a big gold statue and bring it into work.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Scruffpuff posted:

Are any of those proposed systems actually encoded in any form into the game engine?

The section on Mining is excellent. Percentage of feature currently in game: 0%.

So I have a philosophical question: what is the difference between a design, and just talking poo poo? None of those guides has any grounding in any work CIG has done. So are they valid? Or just wishes?

I genuinely have no idea what's implemented and what's merely a dream. There certainly aren't any mechanics in the engine related to the economy, mining, salvaging, exploration, insurance, space suits, player repairs, cargo, passenger transport, medical gameplay, farming, overclocking, or the vast majority of the other things promised. Frankly even the core gameplay of flying and shooting poo poo is nowhere near final. I don't believe CIG has locked a single feature.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MeLKoR posted:

That same guy doesn't thing CiG should release their financials because "we aren't qualified to read it".

Edit: And he doesn't believe anything unless it comes straight from CiG/CRobber

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I genuinely have no idea what's implemented and what's merely a dream. There certainly aren't any mechanics in the engine related to the economy, mining, salvaging, exploration, insurance, space suits, player repairs, cargo, passenger transport, medical gameplay, farming, overclocking, or the vast majority of the other things promised. Frankly even the core gameplay of flying and shooting poo poo is nowhere near final. I don't believe CIG has locked a single feature.

At this point I think CIG could salvage this operation by taking all those articled you linked to, putting them in a hard-cover book, and having it published as a table-top game.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Breetai posted:

So a question was asked on the forums:

The responses:

Level of hand-waving:

...and still, what they are describing sounds like the most boring, unfun, grindy way of approaching the issue possible.

My favorite is that not one of them has a single straight answer 4 years into the game. Its amazing how clear other games are compared to this heap of poo poo.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Star Citizen is basically bad rats in space with a pay to win feature, that is not "pay to win". Also has the worst community I have seen in years as well.

So if you are into this kind of game, go for it. You masochist.

Also paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrppp. Thanks for reading.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

You know he's a lying moron when he can't even get the facts right. I never asked for my pledge back.

Derek I like you really but he's a moron because he gave them $1000 because, he says, of you warning people about the issues CIG faces. You don't need to correct the facts for someone like that, you can just enjoy the wonder that he exists, laugh and laugh some more.

Someone being wrong on the internet bugs me too but sometimes you just have to admit to yourself that the task of correcting them is too large and thankless, so all you can is just enjoy the wrongness as free entertainment.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I used half my refund on watching Star Wars. Great movie. What should I use the other half for (:15bux:)?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ravane posted:

I used half my refund on watching Star Wars. Great movie. What should I use the other half for (:15bux:)?

Buy Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3D for PC and marvel at how much better of a game it is compared to Star Citizen.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ravane posted:

Beer is always the answer.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Make way, make way I say! You loving scum, a Citizen is coming through! God drat n00b, think you can just buy a starter package and fly a Kony in no time? You'll man my turrets for $0.50 an hour and you'll enjoy it bitch. No one helped me start my space empire!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

Make way, make way I say! You loving scum, a Citizen is coming through! God drat n00b, think you can just buy a starter package and fly a Kony in no time? You'll man my turrets for $0.50 an hour and you'll enjoy it bitch. No one helped me start my space empire!

The project is a revolution - it already has more content than many AAA games on the market!

...... these guys swallowed that marketing dick all the way down to the pube-free balls. This "game" is an unmitigated disaster - an unapologetic steaming heap of complete poo poo, and they're begging to keep paying. That's the biggest hole in Derek's "Apocalypse 2016" theory. With people this stupid funding this turd, this could go on for years.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

"Hey, remember when WOW had a bug that broke the game for everyone? Can you implement the same thing, except that it happens more than once and call it a feature?"

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Decrepus posted:

Why hasn't be been banned for using the word niggling yet?

I personally never heard it used as a racist term; I only ever heard of it as meaning small, troubling doubts.

Voicing any doubts on those forums gets you banned anyway, though, so it's only a matter of time.

fuzzknot fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 29, 2015

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Oh yeah, no one is going to kill themselves when this goes belly up. :smith:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

"and it's only 45 dollars"

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

remember when id software released their tech demo for quake 1 and it was a nearly complete online multiplayer game with 3 maps. programmed by a team of just 3 guys, 2 of whom are actual programming legends. and now these dorks want to call 2.0 some fantastic feat that is redefining gaming.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

MeLKoR posted:

That's the other thing, they claim the ships move like poo poo because of all these problems with thruster placement but not even NASA could make the Scythe fly. Just look at that poo poo, there is no way on god's green earth that ship's mass and thrusters are being modeled.

:cmon:

One quick question, how is that supposed to land?

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
When they finally release Squadron 42 it'll play like Dragon's Lair and you'll have to navigate 10-hours of cutscenes making your choices with no save points.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

By impaling itself on the nearest cap ship.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdjDhY_X4FI

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Parasites.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Nomenclature posted:

"Hey, remember when WOW had a bug that broke the game for everyone? Can you implement the same thing, except that it happens more than once and call it a feature?"
and then they used a similar mechanic for the zombie invasion event and even though it was incredibly fun, so many players whined about it that we'll never see anything like it again???

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Scruffpuff posted:

Let's work through an example of how far along this game is coming. Here is the $31 million stretch goal, reached on 11/25/2013:

:gary::words::yarg:

This is over 2 years, and an additional $70 million, after the mining platform stretch goal was reached. Remember that they promised to include this goal in the game even if funding stopped at $31 million. It more than tripled that goal. And nothing is built except a tech demo.
In one of the recent 10FTC, while responding to someone's question about anchoring to or landing on asteroids (answer: "not at launch, you can just park by them, but maybe later!") Chris actually said you might want to EVA to an asteroid to mine a seam of diamonds by hand.

They're gonna have minecraft on asteroids.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/309853/confessions-of-an-ac-player

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

MeLKoR posted:

Oh yeah, no one is going to kill themselves when this goes belly up. :smith:

Holy poo poo it's hard to believe this stuff is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

imperialparadox posted:

Holy poo poo it's hard to believe this stuff is real.

I wonder if he would sell his farm for a Javelin.

• Locked thread