Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Just keep in mind tiger direct does no returns now so if there is an issue you're stuck dealing with the manufacturer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

drat, that's pretty good.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

HalloKitty posted:

That's incredibly cheap. drat, and that price, worth it.
It's already out of stock in 20 minutes! I was going to ask if I need to maintain this liquid cooling thing. :psyduck:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

B-Mac posted:

Just keep in mind tiger direct does no returns now so if there is an issue you're stuck dealing with the manufacturer.
Yeah, they're probably going out of business going by the policy change

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Yeah, they're probably going out of business going by the policy change

Yeah, they are. Their parent company got bought out and they're closing TD down. Their stock has been thinning for months now. It's a pretty defensible decision, TD is synonymous with getting loving scammed on sales and rebates and stuff even if they're mostly less scummy now.

Out of curiousity did the Fury X's frametiming issues ever get fixed? That was a problem on release and I'm curious if it's improved with age.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
How much were those before they went out of stock, I don't see the price.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Zero VGS posted:

How much were those before they went out of stock, I don't see the price.

They were down to $479.99, you can still see the price if you search for' R9 Fury'.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I bought a fury x from tigerdirect for 550 on launch day. They just cancelled it :(

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
I have a bunch of gift cards for Amazon that I was planning on using to get a 970 and the MSI model that everybody loves seems to be out of stock. Is the Asus Strix just as good or should I wait for the MSI to come back into stock?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Sacred Cow posted:

I have a bunch of gift cards for Amazon that I was planning on using to get a 970 and the MSI model that everybody loves seems to be out of stock. Is the Asus Strix just as good or should I wait for the MSI to come back into stock?

MSI is a liiiiiitle bit better but tends to be more expensive. If you see something you want right now at the price you want right now, just buy it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I bought a fury x from tigerdirect for 550 on launch day. They just cancelled it :(

You bought it back on June 24th and they just cancelled it now? I'd call that good news since you can get a 980ti B-Stock for that kinda money these days.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sacred Cow posted:

Alternatively, if you don't have a pressing upgrade need you can wait for the next gen cards next year.

Neither is a wrong choice, just depends on your personal needs/wants and what'll make you happy.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

El Scotch posted:

Alternatively, if you don't have a pressing upgrade need you can wait for the next gen cards next year.

Neither is a wrong choice, just depends on your personal needs/wants and what'll make you happy.

I thought about waiting but my 660ti is showing its age plus I only game at 1080p. By the time I think I'll need something better then a 970 it'll be time for a full system refresh.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Sacred Cow posted:

I thought about waiting but my 660ti is showing its age plus I only game at 1080p. By the time I think I'll need something better then a 970 it'll be time for a full system refresh.

If you feel like you need to upgrade now a 970 is still a killer upgrade for 1080p right now.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

B-Mac posted:

If you feel like you need to upgrade now a 970 is still a killer upgrade for 1080p right now.

Yup. You're gonna have to outline your needs a little bit more, ideally, but the 970 is really the best 1080p/60fps card out there right for TYOOL 2015.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yup. You're gonna have to outline your needs a little bit more, ideally, but the 970 is really the best 1080p/60fps card out there right for TYOOL 2015.

That's pretty much it. 1080p/60fps on modern game is my goal and hopefully leaving the option of going up to a 1440p in the near future.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Sacred Cow posted:

That's pretty much it. 1080p/60fps on modern game is my goal and hopefully leaving the option of going up to a 1440p in the near future.

You are 100% in the same boat I am in. Just waiting to build my stash up a bit more so I can pull the trigger on a 970.

It has been a while since I have been in my case but how big is the 970 vs the 660ti? I want to say my 660 was a tight fit but I hope I am mistaken. I'll have to pop open the case to take a look again just to be sure.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Whale Cancer posted:

You are 100% in the same boat I am in. Just waiting to build my stash up a bit more so I can pull the trigger on a 970.

It has been a while since I have been in my case but how big is the 970 vs the 660ti? I want to say my 660 was a tight fit but I hope I am mistaken. I'll have to pop open the case to take a look again just to be sure.

The size varies based on what model you get, but there are some pretty small ones, for you I'd recommend this one, it's only 8" long but still has a good cooler with dual fans.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Zero VGS posted:

You bought it back on June 24th and they just cancelled it now? I'd call that good news since you can get a 980ti B-Stock for that kinda money these days.

Haha no sorry meant the next day after I ordered. I believe I already had a 980ti then too.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Is... is this it? Am I having the GeForce Experience?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Their website claims it's back in stock, but I don't care how cheap it gets, I'm not touching TigerDirect. :yikes:

Just in case you guys hadn't heard yet:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/help/return.asp posted:

No Returns or Exchanges - ALL SALES FINAL

Beginning December 24, 2015, all sales are final. Orders placed on or after
12/24/2015 12:00 AM ET are not eligible for return, refund or exchange and returns will not be accepted. The manufacturer’s warranty for covered products will still apply. Information about a product manufacturer’s warranty and/or support contact information can be found within the item's detail page on our website or you can click here to visit our Help Center.

(And here's why PCMall owns Tiger Direct now, in case you were curious: http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2015/03/03/brothers-guilty-fraud-at-systemax-computer-company-sent-to-federal-prison-by/ TigerDirect being a Systemax subsidiary. :cripes:)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 29, 2015

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
STAY THE gently caress AWAY FROM TIGERDIRECT'S ROTTING CORPSE.

I just ordered an EVGA GTX 970 from them on the 16th, and it was stuck in Backorder/not Backorder/To Dropshipper hell until I just went to microcenter and called and told them to gently caress off.

The nice overseas lady said that "that card is out of stock anyway so I doubt you'll receive one but if you do just refuse it!". Well gee, thanks, for letting me know that even though I tried poking reps before and no one made it sound like it was "never going to ship anyway because we are out of them."

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

[...]45fps number on a 60hz display and this is actually jarring to a lot of people, namely people who didn't grow up playing quake on a pentium 1
That last part is probably why I had my g-sync monitor for less than a full week before going "the colours on this thing are abysmal, I'd rather have my 60hz IPS". I mean I could clearly see the difference 144hz and poo poo made, it just ... Wasn't that great to me I guess?
I know you probably meant to rack on the amount of micro stuttering and poo poo, but can we just pause for a minute to solemnly reflect on how the gently caress we went from MGS4 to that? Because that's the worst genocide of a IP in gaming I've ever seen, and I was around when Quake 4 was released too.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Revengeance is one of my favorite games of all time and if you can't appreciate it because it has the words "Metal Gear" in its title then that's really a shame.

Oh, and in case it wasn't obvious what was actually going on in that video, the game was running fine, but the stream was dropping a good 50% of frames. This GeForce Experience Share thing is one of the least functional pieces of software I've ever tried to use. It's kind of impressive.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 29, 2015

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

you totally are

alt + z btw to get to the overlay to handle basic settings changes

also if you go into custom quality settings you can mess with framerate and stuff. Although twitch recordings are compressed even further it does retain 60 fps

THE GEFORCE EXPIRENACE

edit: If you add ?t= at the end of your url you can link people to certain points in a video. So like ?t=00h30m30s would be 30:30. Very useful, honestly 75% of the use out of twitch for me is linking people things like that

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 29, 2015

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Their website claims it's back in stock, but I don't care how cheap it gets, I'm not touching TigerDirect. :yikes:

Just in case you guys hadn't heard yet:

(And here's why PCMall owns Tiger Direct now, in case you were curious: http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2015/03/03/brothers-guilty-fraud-at-systemax-computer-company-sent-to-federal-prison-by/ TigerDirect being a Systemax subsidiary. :cripes:)

I bought from TigerDirect once in 2001 and while that experience was fine in and of itself they struck me a s a little shady and I never bothered with them again.

Thompson's Computer Warehouse Online was my choice for many years :rip:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

alt + z btw to get to the overlay to handle basic settings changes

I fiddled with those a bit and it didn't help, but if I ever want to wrestle with the garfield expatriate some more I'll give it another shot.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I use

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H LGA 1150 Intel Z97
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K
PSU: 750w Coolermaster something

Monitors: 2x 1080, 1x 1440 (must take DVI)

I gotta get a new video card and everything looks like it points to a 970, but I dunno which one to get and there's a range of between like $300 and $400 out there. I dunno about FTW/SSC/whatever the gently caress other marketing poo poo there is, which is legit and which isn't.

Please enlighten me (or show me a super sweet deal)

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

HMS Boromir posted:

I fiddled with those a bit and it didn't help, but if I ever want to wrestle with the garfield expatriate some more I'll give it another shot.

I was being too general, the quality settings are in GFE itself in the drop down bar somewhere. Maxing it out (1080p) can be as high as 10 mbps upload though, although in practice its less than this, that's often higher than most people's upload. And the reality of it is you don't really want to be maxing out your upload in any game where latency matters anyway. I do about 10 mbps up with a 30 mbps upload and can still feel it from time to time.

Now that you can upload in crazier resolutions I don't even want to know how rough that is.

Keeping it at 30 fps but higher quality helps dramatically of course (like 1/2 for some reason!)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Marinmo posted:

I know you probably meant to rack on the amount of micro stuttering and poo poo, but can we just pause for a minute to solemnly reflect on how the gently caress we went from MGS4 to that? Because that's the worst genocide of a IP in gaming I've ever seen, and I was around when Quake 4 was released too.

I modded my PS1 and imported Metal Gear Solid 1 six months before it was released in the US, that's how big of an O.G. MGS fan I am, and I'm not too proud to say that MGR is arguably the best game in the series (not even a contest with MGS4). It upped the ante on gameplay, hype boss battles, soundtrack, and somehow out-batshitted Kojima on the storyline. The only genocide of IP was Konami permanently converting all their IP into pinball slot machines.

It's also one of the few Metal Gear games to be ported to PC and runs really loving well even on older GPUs, much like MGSV. I'm going to miss those super-optimized Konami engines.

Edit: Nanomachines, son.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I was being too general, the quality settings are in GFE itself in the drop down bar somewhere. Maxing it out (1080p) can be as high as 10 mbps upload though, although in practice its less than this, that's often higher than most people's upload. And the reality of it is you don't really want to be maxing out your upload in any game where latency matters anyway. I do about 10 mbps up with a 30 mbps upload and can still feel it from time to time.

Now that you can upload in crazier resolutions I don't even want to know how rough that is.

Keeping it at 30 fps but higher quality helps dramatically of course (like 1/2 for some reason!)

That was at 2mbps, and I can get a good 90 up on my internet connection. I figure it has to be a problem with GFE or some interaction between it and my computer/the game/Twitch. The worst part is I tried this because Steam broadcasting has been giving me sound desync issues lately, so I might just have some kind of stream curse. At least OBS still works fine.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

HMS Boromir posted:

That was at 2mbps, and I can get a good 90 up on my internet connection. I figure it has to be a problem with GFE or some interaction between it and my computer/the game/Twitch. The worst part is I tried this because Steam broadcasting has been giving me sound desync issues lately, so I might just have some kind of stream curse. At least OBS still works fine.

Hmmm, one of the nicer things about GFE is it generally has no interaction issues at all with games (it just streams whatever is going on). The only "hook" I'm aware of is if you check the checkbox that prevents it from streaming your desktop.

Oh wait, install the Beta GFE perhaps, if 2 mbps is somehow your cap that hasn't been the cap in beta for a long time.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Panty Saluter posted:

I bought from TigerDirect once in 2001 and while that experience was fine in and of itself they struck me a s a little shady and I never bothered with them again.

Thompson's Computer Warehouse Online was my choice for many years :rip:

Ive bought from TD for years without any issues, especially cause its still tax free. But the last couple months everything we ordered was dropped shipped. Got a free i7-6700k out of it though.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Marinmo posted:

This has to be a fakepost because god drat

signalnoise posted:

I use

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H LGA 1150 Intel Z97
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K
PSU: 750w Coolermaster something

Monitors: 2x 1080, 1x 1440 (must take DVI)

I gotta get a new video card and everything looks like it points to a 970, but I dunno which one to get and there's a range of between like $300 and $400 out there. I dunno about FTW/SSC/whatever the gently caress other marketing poo poo there is, which is legit and which isn't.

Please enlighten me (or show me a super sweet deal)
MSI are generally pretty good. Get the Gaming 4G.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Oh wait, install the Beta GFE perhaps, if 2 mbps is somehow your cap that hasn't been the cap in beta for a long time.

No, there's just a mbps cap slider in the share overlay and I set it to something low to see if it would affect the weird frameskip issue, which it didn't. I have the beta installed, or at least it says (Beta) in the title bar and I assume it's not lying.

I screwed around with it some more and it seems to be independent of bitrate cap, resolution or framerate. I'd try streaming to YouTube in the interest of ruling out Twitch as the source of the problem but it wants me to make a Google Plus account to do it so loooool

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 29, 2015

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

HMS Boromir posted:

No, there's just a mbps cap slider in the share overlay and I set it to something low to see if it would affect the weird frameskip issue, which it didn't. I have the beta installed, or at least it says (Beta) in the title bar and I assume it's not lying.

I screwed around with it some more and it seems to be independent of bitrate cap, resolution or framerate. I'd try streaming to YouTube in the interest of ruling out Twitch as the source of the problem but it wants me to make a Google Plus account to do it so loooool

If I recall, the "real" settings are in GFE, then in the top right there is a Share button and a little drop down button, where there is a customize button for selecting fps, resolution.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Naw, the settings in GFE itself are just stuff like hotkeys, recording locations. The customize button in the overlay seems to be where all the quality options are. Changing those (or the game I'm streaming, for that matter) doesn't seem to help the problem. I'm more than willing to believe it's just a broken piece of software and not lose too much sleep over it.

I was going to try YouTube on the off chance that it's Twitch's fault but it apparently wants me to give it a cell phone number before it lets me stream and hahahahahaha

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Zero VGS posted:

I modded my PS1 and imported Metal Gear Solid 1 six months before it was released in the US, that's how big of an O.G. MGS fan I am, and I'm not too proud to say that MGR is arguably the best game in the series (not even a contest with MGS4). It upped the ante on gameplay, hype boss battles, soundtrack, and somehow out-batshitted Kojima on the storyline. The only genocide of IP was Konami permanently converting all their IP into pinball slot machines.

It's also one of the few Metal Gear games to be ported to PC and runs really loving well even on older GPUs, much like MGSV. I'm going to miss those super-optimized Konami engines.

Edit: Nanomachines, son.

I found MGS1 for PC and was absolutely blown away by the resolutions available and that it has gamepad support. I'm awfully excited to play it again.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

NewFatMike posted:

I found MGS1 for PC and was absolutely blown away by the resolutions available and that it has gamepad support. I'm awfully excited to play it again.

I have that fucker in the original, giant box. I need to fish it out sometime.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

HMS Boromir posted:

Naw, the settings in GFE itself are just stuff like hotkeys, recording locations. The customize button in the overlay seems to be where all the quality options are. Changing those (or the game I'm streaming, for that matter) doesn't seem to help the problem. I'm more than willing to believe it's just a broken piece of software and not lose too much sleep over it.

I was going to try YouTube on the off chance that it's Twitch's fault but it apparently wants me to give it a cell phone number before it lets me stream and hahahahahaha

I went back to double check and yeah they did move all the settings there. I am uploading at almost exactly 11 mbps with 1080p at 60 fps. I dont know what the problem is there with yours :/