Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Chantilly Say posted:

Tarantino's cameo in Django will always be memorable because he blows himself up with dynamite and I nearly pissed myself in the theater.

Also he never says the n-word in his Django cameo because he says "blackie" instead which I suspect is an intentional play on the viewer's expectations.

"Shuddup, blick."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Did he have a role in Hateful Eight other than his voice over after the intermission?

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Saw this, wasn't bad, but I enjoyed his last two movies a lot more.

I think I prefer when he's telling a story with different locations, but whoever the poster was that said this was the most Resevoir Dogs like is 100% correct.

I enjoyed it more than RD.

Overall I'd give it a 75/100 as an overall experience, and the rape story seemed a bit awkward and out of place but I guess the movie needed a dose of anti-racism to balance out all the n bombs.

Acting was great, loved Goggins and loved SLJ. Also Zoe Bell is hot as gently caress somehow

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

oswald ownenstein posted:

Acting was great, loved Goggins and loved SLJ. Also Zoe Bell is hot as gently caress somehow

somehow? everything about her was calculated specifically to make you love her dumb rear end.

movie was great. sam jackson definitely killed bruce dern's son but nothing else there was true, obviously. there's literally no way - right from 'he told me his whole life story' it was bullshit, jackson just pieced the story together to elicit the response he ended up getting. just like there's no way there were 15 dudes in red rock. both are pretty much spelled out. I actually wish there was a bit more ambiguity about things like that, but I guess that's a product of the murder mystery thing where everything needs to be tied up in the end.

edit: and yes I will say the amount of laughter of lines that weren't really intended to be funny but included friend of the family as well as a lot of the daisy beating scenes were a bit much. the rape scene got a lot of laughs but that was intended to be funny. oh qt.

edit: I don't really think any of this is particularly a spoiler but okay sure

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 29, 2015

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Saw this, wasn't bad, but I enjoyed his last two movies a lot more.

I think I prefer when he's telling a story with different locations, but whoever the poster was that said this was the most Resevoir Dogs like is 100% correct.

I enjoyed it more than RD.

Overall I'd give it a 75/100 as an overall experience, and the rape story seemed a bit awkward and out of place but I guess the movie needed a dose of anti-racism to balance out all the n bombs.

This did not help my crush on Zoe any, yeah.

Of course you know she's doomed which makes her sweetness all the sadder.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I agree that the first half setting up the pieces was very well done. The faults I feel may be based on my own expectations, but I expected the second half to weave through twists and turns, peeling this onion.

Instead its one turn and the onion is chopped clean in half, except it takes a full hour for the knife to descend.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Man, some folks seem more obsessed about the n-word than Tarantino is.

I think he does some interesting things with racism in this one. While he may not be the best person to handle the topic, he's clearly addressing centuries of racism in the south and the powerplay between the white characters and the one black man. The way Marquis deliberately incites the old, washed-up confederate general to violence for one thing. The way Daisy, the character who says the word the most out of anyone, is constantly a pariah for gore.

Is he handling these topics with any sort of grace? God no. But it's clearly a conscious attempt at commentary.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't even remember his role in Django. He's pretty forgettable in everything actually.

That's the whole point though. He always gives himself extremely minor, forgettable roles in all his films. It's his trademark, like how Hitchcock hides himself in some brief shot in each of his films.

The only film he's had a part in where he's had a remotely major role is From Dusk Till Dawn.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Izzhov posted:

That's the whole point though. He always gives himself extremely minor, forgettable roles in all his films. It's his trademark, like how Hitchcock hides himself in some brief shot in each of his films.

Yes, I know. I was pointing that out in response to the guy that said the cameo ruined the entire Django film, which is crazy.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Izzhov posted:

The only film he's had a part in where he's had a remotely major role is From Dusk Till Dawn.

...Pulp Fiction?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Saw this tonight and the 70mm experience was dope. Intermissions need to make a comeback and the whole presentation was nice. I really loved the long shot during the opening credits. Samuel L. Jackson owns. I liked the movie a lot.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Man that was a good movie experience.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

thanks for not spoilering any of this you stupid gently caress

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I thought it was awesome, drat there was some fine acting in this. I especially liked Goggins.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

MinibarMatchman posted:

thanks for not spoilering any of this you stupid gently caress

Why do people read threads about a film they want to see unspoiled?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahaha yeah what the gently caress this is page 9 of a movie that has been out for a few days, you can't expect everyone will use tags

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
...out for ~5 days only in locations that can support a largely abandoned type of projection.

The film hasn't even gone wide yet.

e: mixed up #s

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Obstacle2 posted:

Why do people read threads about a film they want to see unspoiled?

Maybe to get initial impressions without any spoilers, like most threads for new movies, you loving doofus.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I got to see the roadshow version in Kansas City - has it ever been specified where the bonus six minutes came from? My best guess is a chunk of the setup/entry in chapter 5 and the scene with Mannix/OB staking their way to the outhouse. Re: the stuff earlier on the page about The Domergue's 15 men, there's no way that it wasn't a bluff, a legitimate shot at leaving Minnie's for any of the characters runs counter to the whole No Exit thing that was going on. By the time anyone was willing to bargain, it was over for everyone. I really liked Tim Roth slipping into "well I'm dead for sure, you can have my bounty" while Mannix is bleeding pretty much as badly

MinibarMatchman posted:

Maybe to get initial impressions without any spoilers, like most threads for new movies, you loving doofus.

Hi here's a good spoiler free review you can go now: http://www.laweekly.com/film/quentin-tarantinos-the-hateful-eight-refuses-to-play-nice-6385176

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

The Walrus posted:

somehow? everything about her was calculated specifically to make you love her dumb rear end.

I mean she has one of those faces that you wouldn't look at in a picture and say 'omg 10/10' but the whole package is 10/10. She was good in death proof too

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

I mean she has one of those faces that you wouldn't look at in a picture and say 'omg 10/10' but the whole package is 10/10. She was good in death proof too

Recently rewatched Death Proof and I'll be damned if that's not a fun movie. I don't get people who hate on it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't think it's so much that people hate on it as much as they think it is just Tarantino's worst film.

It's not like unforgivably bad or anything, but I do like it the least of his movies.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MinibarMatchman posted:

wow you're very hostile. I hope you have had a chance to see friends and family at these holiday times, fellow goon.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
While I too don't really understand reading a thread for a movie you haven't seen, the spoiler rules of CineD aren't exactly vague about this.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

axleblaze posted:

While I too don't really understand reading a thread for a movie you haven't seen, the spoiler rules of CineD aren't exactly vague about this.

No for sure, I edited it even though I wouldn't have personally considered those to be spoilers. Doesn't change the fact that dude's being a dick!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
"__________ dies" isn't much of a spoiler for a Tarantino movie.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

Rottentomatoes.com

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Saw tis last night, to a nearly packed house. Man, the roadshow needs to come back in a big way; it's ever so much more civilized to have a break between acts. Even if you don't have to relieve yourself or refresh your drink, it gives you time to stretch and process the film. Great experience.

As for the movie itself: it's a very bleak affair, as others have said. In most of his previous movies, there has been at least one character that it's possible to empathize with over the others, one on whom to confer the moral right; you can't do that here, as pretty much every character is some degree of monstrous...Hateful, indeed. But I enjoyed myself; the dialogue had that Tarantino snap, the cin-tog was beautiful* all the way through, and even though Tarantino is not as great as he thinks he is at presenting cohesive themes in a thoughtful manner, he is pretty drat great at that. So yeah, check this one out now if at all possible, or when it comes out later, 's good.

*if I have one complaint about 70mm (if it is a complaint at all), there's almost too much going on by frame; everything's so wide that it becomes exhausting to take in the whole fram after a while

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

resurgam40 posted:

*if I have one complaint about 70mm (if it is a complaint at all), there's almost too much going on by frame; everything's so wide that it becomes exhausting to take in the whole fram after a while

God I loved this. Even seeing a movie in 2D these days odds are it was shot for 3D so there's basically no need or call to ever stop staring dully at the centre of the screen. Watching this movie was almost an exercise in participation, like a play in a small theatre.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It's the same principle as playing a recent video game on PC vs. console. On PC, chances are you'll have a field of view slider and can jack it up way higher than you'd ever get on the console version, allowing you to see some or all of your periphery. It's certainly different and takes time to adjust to it, but it's really cool being able to see all of that in addition to what you normally see.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
e: nevermind not really true!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Got to see it in Glourious Seventy Millimeter and I agree with whomever said it was like a stage play. Everything from the setting to the shot composition made it feel like I was watching a stage production. I love the way QT and Robert Richardson are able to frame shots so that there is a lot of information, but it's never hard to follow if you make an effort to keep up.

The usage of the "n" word was... problematic. It didn't feel earned like with Django Unchained, it felt like QT was trying to get away with something. And I disagree with "well the big black pecker story makes up for all of that." In Django you get the sense that the movie uses the "n" word as a motif to support its themes; in Hateful it feels tacked on. This time around the preoccupation with the "n" word feels wholly separate from the rest of the movie, enough to yank me right out of a scene.

Also, why doesn't Mannix immediately kill Warren for shooting Smithers, and instead become his trusted ally almost immediately at the start of the second act? Mannix has zero reason to trust/not urgently want to kill Warren for taunting and murdering the man who is essentially a father figure to him.

Shoutout to Tim Roth and Dana Michelle Gourrier for playing the parts obviously intended for Christoph Waltz and Octavia Spencer (respectively). Kind of glad Waltz opted out of this one because it would've felt too much like a retread (sequel?) of Django at that point. It seems like Roth watched Waltz's Django performance and said, "I can do that, but even hammier." And it works fantastically. Any more screentime and he would've stolen the show for me.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Also, why doesn't Mannix immediately kill Warren for shooting Smithers, and instead become his trusted ally almost immediately at the start of the second act? Mannix has zero reason to trust/not urgently want to kill Warren for taunting and murdering the man who is essentially a father figure to him.

Shoutout to Tim Roth and Dana Michelle Gourrier for playing the parts obviously intended for Christoph Waltz and Octavia Spencer (respectively). Kind of glad Waltz opted out of this one because it would've felt too much like a retread (sequel?) of Django at that point. It seems like Roth watched Waltz's Django performance and said, "I can do that, but even hammier." And it works fantastically. Any more screentime and he would've stolen the show for me.

The first of these really does feel odd, but I think the idea is Mannix at that point is a weak enough personality that the others can just look at him and shrug, like "self-defense, not murder, we all saw that" and Mannix knows he doesn't really have a leg to stand on there.

And I agree totally with the second.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

SciFiDownBeat posted:

IIRC he had been disarmed by John Ruth already. And I think he teamed up with Warren because at that time whoever poisoned the coffee was the biggest threat to him.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Chantilly Say posted:

The first of these really does feel odd, but I think the idea is Mannix at that point is a weak enough personality that the others can just look at him and shrug, like "self-defense, not murder, we all saw that" and Mannix knows he doesn't really have a leg to stand on there.

And I agree totally with the second.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

IIRC he had been disarmed by John Ruth already. And I think he teamed up with Warren because at that time whoever poisoned the coffee was the biggest threat to him.

Thanks for the replies. But it was just way too clunky for me. We spend the entire second chapter of the film watching them argue with each other, watching these great actors have their character's emotions and opinions towards the other seethe and bubble just below the surface of their dialogue, only to have Mannix's first appearance after the intermission to be him wearing Smithers' coat and smiling to himself, and NOT strangling Warren to death for humiliating and shooting his idol. Also, I don't remember Ruth disarming Mannix, just Gage and Mobray, but maybe my memory is just slipping.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Got to see it in Glourious Seventy Millimeter and I agree with whomever said it was like a stage play. Everything from the setting to the shot composition made it feel like I was watching a stage production. I love the way QT and Robert Richardson are able to frame shots so that there is a lot of information, but it's never hard to follow if you make an effort to keep up.

The usage of the "n" word was... problematic. It didn't feel earned like with Django Unchained, it felt like QT was trying to get away with something. And I disagree with "well the big black pecker story makes up for all of that." In Django you get the sense that the movie uses the "n" word as a motif to support its themes; in Hateful it feels tacked on. This time around the preoccupation with the "n" word feels wholly separate from the rest of the movie, enough to yank me right out of a scene.

I disagree about the use of the N-word. I thought it was actually used here better than it was in Django. It is used to say a lot about the characters and where they stand after the war. Some are comfortable using it right to Warren's face, some are comfortable using it just when he's not around or when someone else does it first. For example, Ruth is probably the most uncivilized of the lot but he is kind of uncomfortable with the word and he's like the only character that I don't think calls Ruth the N word.

Also, others have hinted at it but Mannix talks a big talks, but I think is pretty intermediated by Warren and in general just isn't as used to this stuff as everyone else. I think until he's pushed to where he is at the end he's not really someone that would kill someone even if he had to. Also, I think Ruth took his gun in the wagon and never gave it back.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah, Ruth, hilariously, takes his gun and gives Warren his gun back when Mannix gets in the coach but then never gives Mannix his pistol back.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Fritzler posted:

I'm going to the screening there on Tuesday, I'll let you know.
Town Center AMC did have it in 70 mm for the 11 am showing today. Also it was packed

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Kinda boring and forgettable, my least favorite Tarantino movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Fritzler posted:

Town Center AMC did have it in 70 mm for the 11 am showing today. Also it was packed

Drove 3 hours with some friends to see it there on Sunday, presentation was great and it was a full house.

I thought the movie was terrific, easily among his best.

• Locked thread