Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Strom Cuzewon posted:

You've merged the non standard game overs with the threats you can make at the end.

There's only one ending - ending merge with the Forsaken One/your own mortality and be sent to hell to fight in the blood war. You can do this by threatening to will him/yourself out of existence, threaten to commit suicide with the most magic sword ever, talk him into it, or just beat the crap out of him

There's two additional endings in the Vision Statement they released, which is well worth a read. The one in the game is what they call the neutral ending, but is vastly less sad than the alternatives:

imprison the forsaken one, and roam the planes as an immortal forever

wake up back in the mortuary with no memories, trapped forever in the cycle

You can also kill yourself for good using a unique dagger the embodiment of entropy forged especially for you. But all that does is give you a game over screen because you are, well, dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

They should really port these classic RPGs to iOS/Android. Only got half an hour into Planescape on PC before losing interest, but i reckon it'd be much more palatable if i could dip in and out wherever I am.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mr. Flunchy posted:

They should really port these classic RPGs to iOS/Android. Only got half an hour into Planescape on PC before losing interest, but i reckon it'd be much more palatable if i could dip in and out wherever I am.

Baldurs gate 1 and 2 and ice wind dale all have android/ios ports so who knows.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

Baldurs gate 1 and 2 and ice wind dale all have android/ios ports so who knows.

Ah, sweet.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Sleeveless posted:

You can also kill yourself for good using a unique dagger the embodiment of entropy forged especially for you. But all that does is give you a game over screen because you are, well, dead.

Can't you also agree to be some Skeleton King or something?

Content: there are things I'm not sure I like yet (and some things I know I don't like) about Dungeons 2, but there's something really cool: if you build a trap that destroys itself, the game automatically builds (and your minions rebuild) that trap in the same spot. Less having to worry about manually replacing every treasure-chest-filled-with-explosives every time some Good Guys come through your dungeon!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

MisterBibs posted:

Can't you also agree to be some Skeleton King or something?

Yep! If you play your cards right when you're being held captive by the city of reanimated corpses you can find out that their king is actually for-real dead and volunteer to take his place, which also dooms you to an eternity of being trapped on his magic throne.

I liked how the game handled immortality, where even if you couldn't die there was still a risk of things like being eaten and digested or buried alive. Or pissing off someone powerful enough to will you out of existence.

e. The way you could use it to gently caress with people was great too. A socialite paying you to let her stab you to death or a barkeep keeping one of your eyeballs as collateral on your bar tab.

Sleeveless has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Dec 28, 2015

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

My favorite thing is making geralt meditate while he has a companion. You can mediate for hours and the screen fades in with geralt getting up from sitting there Indian style and I imagine him being dead to the world while his companion just has to stand there and wait hours impatiently for this rear end in a top hat to wake up.

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

My favorite little thing in this game is the way the horse drawn covered wagon explodes in a massive fireball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP2ba-QYQY8

...followed by the horse!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Steamworld: The Heist is a pretty cool 2D Valkyria Chronicles style game with a space western setting. It has a ton of different hats you can collect either by shooting them off of enemies or buying them at hat shops. There's everything from sailor hats to bowlers to dragoon helmets to collect. As far as I can tell they have no gameplay effects whatsoever (although enemies will sometimes shoot off your hat) but it's a lot more fun than I usually find "fashion" systems.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

My favorite little thing in this game is the way the horse drawn covered wagon explodes in a massive fireball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP2ba-QYQY8

More games need to have rakes lying on the ground that hit your guy in the face when you stand on them :allears:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
In Metro 2033, when you go to the library looking for a plot thing, one of your npc bros finds Roadside Picnic on a bookshelf and says something about how it 'sounds familiar' :v:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

oldpainless posted:

My favorite thing is making geralt meditate while he has a companion. You can mediate for hours and the screen fades in with geralt getting up from sitting there Indian style and I imagine him being dead to the world while his companion just has to stand there and wait hours impatiently for this rear end in a top hat to wake up.

In Mad Max the way you level up your skills is to track down a shaman and get high as balls to open up the upgrade menu, and when you come stumbling back to your car after passing out your pet hunchback mechanic is always super happy that you didn't abandon him or die.

Icedude posted:

More games need to have rakes lying on the ground that hit your guy in the face when you stand on them :allears:

In LISA there are a series of dojos that will give you upgrades if you complete their challenges. One dojo hosts the gauntlet of pain, which is having to walk through several screens of rakes and back again Sideshow Bob style.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

oldpainless posted:

In Skyrim I like to tell my follower to sit on a chair and wait while I get eight hours sleep.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Illegal Username posted:

Space station 13 has an age parameter for characters.AFAIK the only thing this does is modulate the pitch of your farts and screams. Normally you can pick between 18 (a quick high pitch yowl) and 70 (a drawn out holler) but with certain artifacts, genetic manipulation or admin fuckery you can go beyond those limits and emit terrifying drawn out roars or reverse-farts.

Some role-playing servers have job restrictions for your age. You have to be over 30 to be in a command role, over 25 or so to be a scientist or engineer, etc.

One time, on a role-playing server that didn't have this, the AI had a custom script in comms to state the age of every arriving character. When it notified the station that the new captain arrived and was a 17 year old girl, everyone joked about how unqualified she was.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
edit

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

Steamworld: The Heist is a pretty cool 2D Valkyria Chronicles style game with a space western setting. It has a ton of different hats you can collect either by shooting them off of enemies or buying them at hat shops. There's everything from sailor hats to bowlers to dragoon helmets to collect. As far as I can tell they have no gameplay effects whatsoever (although enemies will sometimes shoot off your hat) but it's a lot more fun than I usually find "fashion" systems.

Okay wait. How is it like Valkyria?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Aphrodite posted:

Move your guys one-by-one as far as their action bar will allow, attack if you have enough action bar available, repeat for your guys. End turn.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

William Bear posted:

Some role-playing servers have job restrictions for your age. You have to be over 30 to be in a command role, over 25 or so to be a scientist or engineer, etc.

One time, on a role-playing server that didn't have this, the AI had a custom script in comms to state the age of every arriving character. When it notified the station that the new captain arrived and was a 17 year old girl, everyone joked about how unqualified she was.
Jeeze it's like those nerds have never read a Star Trek fanfic. All the best captains are young adults!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

The gameplay is almost exactly Valkyria but 2D. You have a squad of robots who can move a set amount and then take an action every turn. You also have to aim manually, like in Valkyria. It lets you do bank shots which is sometimes pretty cool.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sleeveless posted:

In Mad Max the way you level up your skills is to track down a shaman and get high as balls to open up the upgrade menu, and when you come stumbling back to your car after passing out your pet hunchback mechanic is always super happy that you didn't abandon him or die.

He also comments when you leave around the shaman. My favourite is when he goes through a version of the Lord's prayer, except it's all about cars of course given his faith.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

In Metro 2033, when you go to the library looking for a plot thing, one of your npc bros finds Roadside Picnic on a bookshelf and says something about how it 'sounds familiar' :v:

I really liked this. The library was an otherwise pretty grim and depressing part of the game, that was a nice bit of levity.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Of course, that subtle joke is a bit lost among the heaps of copies of Metro 2033 and Metro 2034, the real-life books, laying around everywhere. But hey, points for the reference anyway.

Posters and the books themselves can be found all over the place in both games, but in Metro Last Light, there's a random-rear end cardboard box you can open in a remote corner that is just filled to the brim with copies of the previous books, which I thought was a kind of funny gag.

edit: And also posters for Metro 2035, which did not exist yet at the time of the game's release. :v:

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 02:00 on Jan 1, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In some random spot in last light, there's a box that contains another, smaller box. Inside that box is another box and inside that box is an even smaller box. The smallest box has a single pre-war bullet inside (basically a dollar in the metro world).

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Gestalt Intellect posted:

In some random spot in last light, there's a box that contains another, smaller box. Inside that box is another box and inside that box is an even smaller box. The smallest box has a single bullet inside.

Son of a bitch I was going to comment about this, it's my favorite "lol, huh?" detail in that game.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Move your guys one-by-one as far as their action bar will allow, attack if you have enough action bar available, repeat for your guys. End turn.

Oh, so it's Worms!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Orange Mage posted:

Oh, so it's Worms!

Kinda, except you move your entire team before ending the turn. Advance Wars would probably be a better comparison.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

So it's battlefield, in other words.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

How many Dark Souls would you call this game?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

RareAcumen posted:

How many Dark Souls would you call this game?

It's definitely the Demon's Souls of Valkyria Chronicles games.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
PYF nonsensical amalgamation.

my vote is Jet Grind Smash Squids Ate my Neighbors V: The Phantom Pain

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Rama of Ra posted:

PYF nonsensical amalgamation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDX53anlqvI

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Fallout 4's construction mode leaves a lot to be desired, but I think I managed to make Spectacle Island live up to its name despite it.

It's a shame lightboxes aren't visible from long distances.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

why did you do this

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

why did you do this

Why not?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

why did you do this

Watch_Dogs didn't have enough memes for him I guess.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

why did you do this

I wanted to see how many buildings and electrical stuff i can pile up in a settlement before the game starts making GBS threads the bed, then when I was done I figured I might as well draw something on it. Even with all that junk it runs fine, I'm kinda impressed. Only thing that's slow is changing the color of the whole grid from a terminal. It takes a couple minutes for every pixel to change.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

RareAcumen posted:

Watch_Dogs didn't have enough memes for him I guess.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Dragonwagon posted:

Fallout 4's construction mode leaves a lot to be desired, but I think I managed to make Spectacle Island live up to its name despite it.

It's a shame lightboxes aren't visible from long distances.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

poo poo, that is good.
I am too stupid to come up with anything good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

So stealing this.