Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

In Training posted:

Not to dredge this up again, but I'm just curious, about Solid Snake jumping on rockets. I don't remember that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9mQKZMOzLs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh Twin Snakes. That would explain it, I haven't played it. Thank you.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Twin Snakes is Raiden's simulation and why he thinks Snake is so awesome

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I don't get FFX2: Last Mission at all. I feel like a total dumbdumb.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Twin Snakes is Otacon's fanfiction about what really happened.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I don't get FFX2: Last Mission at all. I feel like a total dumbdumb.

If you're going for the platinum or something and just want to break it then you want to find a Trainer dresssphere for Yuna and dig constantly. There are some rare items you can find that help you become completely overpowered. There's a folio called 'copy techniques' which lets you duplicate an item. The idea is that you duplicate your strongest dresssphere then fuse them together to double it's level (so if you had a level 20 dressphere, duplicate + fuse, you'd have a level 40 one. With a little luck you can get to level 99 and nothing can stop you)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Schwartzcough posted:

Oh oh, how about sending in one unit with a vanish item to sit in a corner, and a female unit with Chantage, a Ribbon, and maintenance to kill everything. It's virtually impossible to lose with that setup.

A min faith character with a bunch of speed 6 CT/4 math users who absorb holy is also a round 1 clear for basically every fight in the game. You don't even need the min faith character unless you have to use Flare due to an enemy absorbing/nullifying Holy.

voltcatfish posted:

I mean to be fair the wiegraf fight -is- complete bullshit

I fought him in the iOS version as a Dark Knight with the Defender. :getin:

In my original playthrough on the PSX I was a lancer and murdered him as well, and that was with whatever store bought lance I had at the time. A Holy Lance from poaching a Sacred probably makes you one-shot him.

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't forget to give your two-swords god-monk the Samurai skill "Blade Grasp" for true OP hilarity, literally untouchable except by magic and oh yeah they're pretty much immune to that too.

Once you've got Monk/Ninja/Samurai/Dragoon skills on a single character you're a god of death.

There's a lot of skills that can ignore blade grasp, especially late in the game (and some that don't but probably should). Though for those fights you break out the MP Switch and Move MP-UP combo to negate those damage sources too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Evil Fluffy posted:

There's a lot of skills that can ignore blade grasp, especially late in the game (and some that don't but probably should).

That's why its so much fun. Nothing funnier than seeing a dragoon jump on your samurai-monk only for the monk to catch him and gently place him on the floor.

"Don't worry buddy, I got ya!" :cheeky:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

In Training posted:

Oh Twin Snakes. That would explain it, I haven't played it. Thank you.

It's a fun game, p expensive to find a decent copy tho

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
do i have to be max level with maxed stats from sources AND also have master materia to beat both emerald and ruby weapon

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

General Morden posted:

do i have to be max level with maxed stats from sources AND also have master materia to beat both emerald and ruby weapon

Nope, there's a poo poo ton of materia combinations in FF7 which break the game wide open. Its been forever since I played FF7 in depth so I can't think of much off the top of my head other than like, Knights of the round, phoenix and W-summon. But I remember all kinds of ridiculous bullshit you can do. Google around, I remember there was one combo using barret's limit break to do infinite damage and poo poo like that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You can do a significant chunk of damage by using a cheap and easy 2 materia set up to give a character 9999HP. Aire Tam Storm does 2222HP to that character giving them all Lucky 7's though it might not always hit the important target.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009
I remember cheesing Ruby back in the day by W-Summoning a damage summon (Knights of the Round or Bahamut Zero) and Hades. Hades would inflict Stop, which Ruby's vulnerable to, and it would last long enough to recast the W-Summon. Repeat until dead. Of course, it's been ages since I last played FF7, so I don't know if that's the most reliable or efficient method of winning that fight.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
Is the android version of FFT worth buying? I was considering it because I don't want to deal with PSP version slowdowns and can't get the PS1Classics because who cares about releasing it in europe, right? But I heard some stuff about android version not having Genji equipment and more importantly making an online licence check each time it's run and that's rather discouraging.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Assuming I avoid grinding and the mess of game-breaking poo poo in FF7, does the difficulty level ever pick up at all?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
No. Playing any mainline FF game hoping to get challenged is a fool's errand. Might as well just grab that Enemy Skill Materia and plow through everything with Matra Magic and then Trine/Aqualung/Beta. Don't make a lick of difference in the end.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Malek Deneith posted:

Is the android version of FFT worth buying? I was considering it because I don't want to deal with PSP version slowdowns and can't get the PS1Classics because who cares about releasing it in europe, right? But I heard some stuff about android version not having Genji equipment and more importantly making an online licence check each time it's run and that's rather discouraging.

If you have homebrew on your PSP (or Vita) you can patch the slowdown away. The PSP emulator on PC is also really good these days if that floats your boat.

Otherwise, the iOS/Android port of FFT is about as good as FFT on a touch screen can be.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Augus posted:

Assuming I avoid grinding and the mess of game-breaking poo poo in FF7, does the difficulty level ever pick up at all?

not really, except for some optional stuff. ff7 is one the easier ones. there are a couple of bosses that might kill you once or twice, but, bleh.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

"There are a couple of bosses that might kill you once or twice, but bleh" is how I would describe every FF game's difficulty pretty much.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
FF7 hasn't got a real difficulty curve, but it has some kind of brick wall bosses:

Demon Wall is probably the first really tough boss
Going through Mt. Nibel is a very resource-draining dungeon thingy
That weird robot Reno sics on you in the submarine bay is hard
The last boss can be tough

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Attitude Indicator posted:

not really, except for some optional stuff. ff7 is one the easier ones. there are a couple of bosses that might kill you once or twice, but, bleh.

That's a shame, maybe I might intentionally hold back on getting the newest gear and stuff just to give the battles a bit more edge.

Also, this Don Corneo stuff really was a lot more racey than anything I'd expect from this series and I have no idea how they'd put it in the remake without making huge changes. Sex jokes, gay jokes, everywhere.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Augus posted:

That's a shame, maybe I might intentionally hold back on getting the newest gear and stuff just to give the battles a bit more edge.

Also, this Don Corneo stuff really was a lot more racey than anything I'd expect from this series and I have no idea how they'd put it in the remake without making huge changes. Sex jokes, gay jokes, everywhere.

They will somehow gently caress it up because all their funny dialog writers are working FF14 now.

FF7 is honestly a lot racier and darker than most video game scripts. It channels a grim, brusque atmosphere that nobody has ever managed to pull off quite as well since. I think it was a big part of why it appealed to us as teens, what with all the %&(%*( swearing going on.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's really rough playing Cloud until you get his Brave to HP attacks since all of his base HP attacks have garbage speed and area of effect.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Malek Deneith posted:

The PS1 version of FFT never had an EU release so I would imagine legally, for some dumb reason, it's not quite as simple as letting us buy the US version.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

That weird robot Reno sics on you in the submarine bay is hard
The last boss can be tough

Carry Armor is bullshit and is just as annoying in all mods I've played of this game. Such a random, nothing boss and yet it's one of the hardest.

I've heard that Safer Sephiroth levels up with Cloud ans also gets stronger if you use KOTR on Jenova SYNTHESIS right before. I've always wanted to make a go at that since he's the only boss that scales with you.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Carry Armor is bullshit and is just as annoying in all mods I've played of this game. Such a random, nothing boss and yet it's one of the hardest.

I recently finished my playthrough I started when the PC re-release first came out in 2012, and I think Carry Armor was the only story boss I died on.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

"There are a couple of bosses that might kill you once or twice, but bleh" is how I would describe every FF game's difficulty pretty much.

it's a fairly easy going series, yeah, but i'd still argue that ff7 is among the easier ones.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

NikkolasKing posted:

I've heard that Safer Sephiroth levels up with Cloud ans also gets stronger if you use KOTR on Jenova SYNTHESIS right before. I've always wanted to make a go at that since he's the only boss that scales with you.

i mean maybe it does but 2 shots of KOTOR and maybe an omnislash will always kill him anyway so who knows

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Attitude Indicator posted:

it's a fairly easy going series, yeah, but i'd still argue that ff7 is among the easier ones.

Well the overall easiest are FFVIII and FFII because you can break them very quickly. I'd maintain FFVIII is the absolute easiest, though.

Would FF3 be the hardest? I've been in this thread long enough to have heard the horror stories about the final dungeon. Or maybe that was the DS remake, I forget.

I've heard FFIV DS - or well, FFIV DS/Steam now - is also pretty challenging. I started it but never got very far.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Augus posted:

You could avoid using materia entirely and it would still be fairly easy outside of some optional stuff

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

NikkolasKing posted:

Well the overall easiest are FFVIII and FFII because you can break them very quickly. I'd maintain FFVIII is the absolute easiest, though.

Would FF3 be the hardest? I've been in this thread long enough to have heard the horror stories about the final dungeon. Or maybe that was the DS remake, I forget.

I've heard FFIV DS - or well, FFIV DS/Steam now - is also pretty challenging. I started it but never got very far.

FF2 and FF8 are the easiest only if you know how to break them. To be fair, FF8 is pretty drat easy to find out how to break even if you don't realize the silly card game they added in is the true way to get great power quickly, though FF2 requires knowing stuff the game never tells you.

FF3 is among the most difficult more since it's a slog between long dungeons and really terrible gimmicks (Mini dungeons, splitting enemies, Garuda, Cave of Darkness), and a lot of job options are pretty terrible, but even then it's like most Final Fantasy games where once you figure the mechanics out it's not really that challenging. The remake of course adds "artificial" difficulty, i.e. overcompensating for being limited to three enemies per encounter (compared to as many as eight in the original) by making them crazy buff and doing powerful attacks twice a round, making it easy to get one-shot due to no fault of your own. And of course all that without adding any quality-of-life features such as dungeon save points.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

voltcatfish posted:

I mean to be fair the wiegraf fight -is- complete bullshit

I beat it easily as a kid simply because I liked chocobos so I had a bunch and they bred into black ones

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Mega64 posted:

FF2 and FF8 are the easiest only if you know how to break them. To be fair, FF8 is pretty drat easy to find out how to break even if you don't realize the silly card game they added in is the true way to get great power quickly, though FF2 requires knowing stuff the game never tells you.

FF3 is among the most difficult more since it's a slog between long dungeons and really terrible gimmicks (Mini dungeons, splitting enemies, Garuda, Cave of Darkness), and a lot of job options are pretty terrible, but even then it's like most Final Fantasy games where once you figure the mechanics out it's not really that challenging. The remake of course adds "artificial" difficulty, i.e. overcompensating for being limited to three enemies per encounter (compared to as many as eight in the original) by making them crazy buff and doing powerful attacks twice a round, making it easy to get one-shot due to no fault of your own. And of course all that without adding any quality-of-life features such as dungeon save points.

Or purchasable Phoenix Downs/Ethers. So if you did manage to get to the final boss only to eat a disaterous random encounter, you had to go all the way back.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
whats the easiest way to shatter ff7 over my knee early on

by early on i mean im in the middle of the nibelheim flashback on disc 1

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

Get an Enemy Skill Materia (you should have one already.) Get Beta from Midgarzolom. Congrads!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Literally The Worst posted:

Short answer: Enemy Skill materia

Longer answer: Use tranquilizers on your team to reduce the damage they take, then go fight the Midgar Zolom in the swamp with the Enemy Skill materia equipped. If you can get it to cast Beta on you and survive, that trivializes most encounters for some time. It can be a hard fight to survive, though, so good luck.

OR, learn Matra Magic from the robot enemies around Midgar. Use that to grind kills/limit breaks from the 5-enemy formations in the forests after the Mythril cave, near the RTS phoenix tower place. Those enemies can do decent damage, so you should be able to build limits pretty fast. Use the items that give you Hyper status to speed it up. Bonus: you should find Yuffie eventually this way.

Learn Magic Hammer from the weed-looking guys near Wutai later on. It steals 100 MP from enemies and feeds it to the caster. Most bosses only have like 2-300 MP. You can completely neuter most bosses while fueling your own magical murder.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Schwartzcough posted:

I can think of few games that have such a difference in difficulty between when you know how the game works and when you don't.

This is a great way to put it. Every time someone says "FFT is so easy!" there will soon be a post with some zodiac chart or someone says "you need these skills from different classes that are each deep on the opposing class trees" and it's pretty obvious "no, FFT isn't easy, but it's an old and very good game and it's been broken open a million ways since its release." When I first beat it, I had the most rag-tag crappy team ever, didn't know the brave/faith system was so easily abusable, had no idea how to really make good use of the zodiac system, had a few characters that I used "because they're cool," and beat the last few missions by the skin of my teeth. Samurai Ramza, Mustadio, generic Dragoon, generic Ninja (no Knight Swords cuz I was dumb), and generic Summoner. It was tough but also pretty fun.

That first blind run through FFT was definitely tougher than any other RPG I can think of, though I never did play FF3. It also secured it as my favorite in the series.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ImpAtom posted:

Get an Enemy Skill Materia (you should have one already.) Get Beta from Midgarzolom. Congrads!

so i actually have to fight the zolom?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
^^^--Ride a Chocobo

FFT is bullshit hard and I loving can't

even

Stupid loving random encounter chocobo

stupid loving chapter 1 boss being so loving hard god drat it gently caress you

gently caress YOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU