Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Lynx posted:

I never played any of the ME games on consoles, but who the hell thought Select was a good choice for the grenade button?

I don't mind it actually because it's a button you're unlikely to accidentally hit during normal play. Except right now I'm using a DS4 because my DS3 has kinda poo poo the bed so I don't know what button would work :saddowns: Gonna be ordering a new controller but in the meantime don't expect to see many grenades :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah, I always figured it was "well poo poo, we're out of buttons from mapping things players will actually use" so they put it there.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Keyboard and all the buttons that it has :swoon:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It was the Back button on the 360.

Alexeythegreat posted:

Keyboard and all the buttons that it has :swoon:

That's the one thing that's weird about going from ME3 back to ME1, suddenly my interact button throws grenades and oh whoops.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I always liked the Mako, dumb as it was, because it made Mass Effect feel more like Star Control or Starflight. I missed being able to fly around and poke the galaxy with a stick in later games, even if most of the things you could poke were kind of identical mountains and pre-fabs with a few dudes to shoot for a short sidequest.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Night10194 posted:

I always liked the Mako, dumb as it was, because it made Mass Effect feel more like Star Control or Starflight. I missed being able to fly around and poke the galaxy with a stick in later games, even if most of the things you could poke were kind of identical mountains and pre-fabs with a few dudes to shoot for a short sidequest.

Agreed. The mechanic really creaks on subsequent playthroughs but first time round I felt like I had so much agency. Even the dull planets made the more visually/conceptually interesting ones more memorable, although that might be some residual stockholm syndrome. Years on I can still remember some of them, like the garden planets, the planet on the terminator line and the one with a planet damaged by a massive rail gun.

I was one of the nerds that was pretty annoyed with how the trilogy ended and left pretty apathetic with the IP in general but hearing that they're bringing the Mako back has got me excited again. How big did the larger DAI maps get? Was hard to get a sense of scale with the editting.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
DAI maps are loving huge for the most part. Like the entire playable area of DAO will fit inside the Hinterlands.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I like how the first time you're probably going to use the mako, they make you go on a map with insta kill lava.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

I like how the first time you're probably going to use the mako, they make you go on a map with insta kill lava.

Well, it's glowing red and there's a pretty obvious road. It's better than Noveria (which has turrets and lots more geth - though no Colossus), maybe Feros assuming it's as easy to drive off the bridge as it looks.

I still fell in the first time though :v:

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 30, 2015

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

SubponticatePoster posted:

DAI maps are loving huge for the most part. Like the entire playable area of DAO will fit inside the Hinterlands.

even the deep roads? :ohdear:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I loving died on Feros to its stupid bottomless pits
Multiple times
Even when I knew to be careful
Never had any trouble with Noveria or the lava planet (the name of which I can't recall due to brain fart), though

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

Well, it's glowing red and there's a pretty obvious road. It's better than Noveria (which has turrets and lots more geth), maybe Feros assuming it's as easy to drive off the bridge as it looks.

I still fell in the first time though :v:

Well, it's glowing red as long as you don't have the bugged PC textures which make it look like the rest of the surface and you drive onto it three times before googling it!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kurtofan posted:

and yet because it had a hand-built path it's still infinitely superior to the procedurally generated planets

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

The Mako was fun to use and the real problem with it is the fact that the random planets are composed almost exclusively of 85 degree cliffs.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
Shepard is now the commanding officer of the Normandy. Why isn't she referred to as Captain Shepard?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Because being called Captain only while aboard ship and Commander outside would be confusing.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

hard counter posted:

even the deep roads? :ohdear:
Yup. And Hissing Wastes is like 2x bigger than Hinterlands.

NullBlack posted:

Shepard is now the commanding officer of the Normandy. Why isn't she referred to as Captain Shepard?
Captain is a higher rank than Commander and she never got promoted :v: Technically in ME3 Kaiden is higher ranking than Shepard.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

NullBlack posted:

I believe the way it works is that she's acting captain, but her rank is still Commander. So her subordinates refer to her as captain or commander, but to her superiors and those outside of the chain of command she's still a Commander.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

actually (and this is not how Bioware did it, their rank structure in the codex is loving retarded) Shepard doesn't need to be promoted to be given command, the Normandy is a Frigate which is a TINY ship in comparison to the Cruisers and the Dreadnoughts. Because there are not as many of those bigger ships as there are Frigates and other smaller supply ships and whatnot you have ranks like Commander, where you have been in service long enough that you should know what you are doing so you are given command of a small ship.

As they mentioned earlier in the game (and they will mention many times over the trilogy) Captain Anderson was placed in charge of the Normandy because it was a new ship and he had political clout, this is also the reason why Shepard was chosen as the XO since she is a big deal in the Alliance. Under normal circumstances a ship like the Normandy would have been placed under a Commander as their first command, because smaller ships have smaller crews and fewer capabilities. Thus for this reason Commander Shepard did not need a promotion to be given command of the Normandy, it would have been a natural placement anyway.

For other examples of things like this, this is why Majors are in charge of a company in the army, and Colonels are in charge of regiments, the more senior your rank the more responsibility you have in terms of manpower. The manpower of the Normandy is pretty small at the end of the day, there's like 50 people on that ship tops

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Wow, with this and the hissing wastes comment you really did us a service with your editting. :stare:

Good news for ME4 though.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I've always liked Garrus's backstory as a contrast to Shepard's, in terms of where they wound up and why. Both Garrus and Shepard have things in common in their past, but are in radically different positions by the time the game begins.

Regardless of what background the player chooses for Shepard, she joined the Navy at a young age and had remarkable talent as a soldier, but was still just another soldier. Then, something happened that made Shepard mildly famous, depending on what psych profile is chosen by the player:

• Shepard was hanging out on Elysium when a shitload of ruffians attacked; Shepard rallied the colonists to help fight the invaders off amongst other heroics.
  • Shepard was part of a unit that went to Akuze and got eaten by thresher maws, except for Shepard, who raised a lot of eyebrows by not getting eaten by thresher maws.
  • Shepard led a platoon of Alliance soldiers into an underground stronghold on Torfan and made a mess so godawful that it was actually kind of impressive.

After one of the above happened, Shepard became a known name and something of a living legend in the Alliance Navy, allowing her to rise quickly through the ranks. At the start of the game, she's commander on the Normandy, a wildly expensive prototype frigate crewed by some of the best people in the Alliance.

Now, consider Garrus, who's very similar to Shepard in key ways. Garrus joined the military at a young age, displayed remarkable ability, had a respectable reputation as a soldier. If Elysium/Akuze/Torfan had happened to Garrus, he could have very well risen to the occasion as well and proven himself to be a badass worthy of a high rank, but nothing ever happened to Garrus, so he never got anywhere. When Mass Effect starts, Garrus is just another nobody in C-Sec, doing a mediocre job like every other officer due to the suffocating bureaucracy and politics of the Citadel. Garrus could have become a legendary figure like Shepard, but it all came down to the hand that he was dealt. If not for being suddenly approached by a group of angry humans wanting everything Garrus had learned during his failed investigation of Saren, Garrus would have lived and died alone, forgotten as soon as the Keepers showed up to cart his body away to the reprocessing vats.

At the same time, had Shepard not suddenly wound up at the center of some disaster, she would have had a quiet tour of duty and vanished from history like every other rank-and-file. What mattered was that she got lucky at the right time.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 30, 2015

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Commaner Shepherd is a boy.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Commander Shepard is, in the most literal sense, genderfluid.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

NullBlack posted:

I think being a Spectre supersedes rank in the command chain but doesn't actually replace it in anyone's paperwork.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I always thought that being a Spectre doesn's supercede anything, it just puts the Spectre him/herself outside of the chain of command

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The best comparison of Spectres is that they're like Warhammer 40k's Inquisitors. They have a job to do and theoretically unlimited authority to accomplish that job, but unlike Inquisitors Spectres seem to operate in a 'procure on site/in route' manner to equipment and manpower.

Heck, you still have to buy equipment out of the C-Sec's special stocks.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Fwoderwick posted:

Wow, with this and the hissing wastes comment you really did us a service with your editting. :stare:

Good news for ME4 though.

Yeah, Hissing Wastes is loving huge on top of having absolutely nothing in large portions of the map.

But yes, DAI does have me curious how Andromeda is going to turn out. :neckbeard: I can't wait.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

The best comparison of Spectres is that they're like Warhammer 40k's Inquisitors. They have a job to do and theoretically unlimited authority to accomplish that job, but unlike Inquisitors Spectres seem to operate in a 'procure on site/in route' manner to equipment and manpower.

Yeah but after you get your foot in the door with the medical industry money ceases to be a concern.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
I like using the Mako. I would probably have liked it even more if I hadn't played half of the game without realizing the cannon had a zoom function. Makes sniping dudes with the Mako much easier.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
The vendor mechanic always bugged the gently caress out of me in these games. Like I know why it's there but it makes no narrative sense. "Hey Shepard, sentient metal cuttlefish are about to destroy all civilization as we know it, but go scrounge up a few bucks to buy a new gun because reasons."

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
That's a problem with pretty much every RPG.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

The vendor mechanic always bugged the gently caress out of me in these games. Like I know why it's there but it makes no narrative sense. "Hey Shepard, sentient metal cuttlefish are about to destroy all civilization as we know it, but go scrounge up a few bucks to buy a new gun because reasons."

Too much trouble to write up either "We need the resources to get these new plans for the upgrades to your equipment since the Reapers are in system" or "Well, if we can't keep charging money like civilized folk, then we might as go hop up on one of those Dragon's Teeth, coz that means the terrists Reapers have already won."

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

AllisonByProxy posted:

That's a problem with pretty much every RPG.

It makes sense in 1&2. 2 especially since TIM did like 99.9% of the financial footwork for you re: acquiring a ship and personnel and sends small procurement funds after successful missions on top of sending guns & equipment if you bought the dlcs Miranda requisitions it. Even major ship retrofits like thanix cannon upgrades only cost raw resources.

In 3 it does get real silly though what with the reapers actually attacking and Shepard being the last explicit hope.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also like Inquisitors, most of your time as an actual Spectre is spent solving the problems that come from Spectres being a *terrible idea*.

Hello, Saren and your giant underground support network that you built before you decided to betray a council that had almost no way of actually following what you were doing.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Spectres were a necessary conceit otherwise how could we make the player feel like a special forces elite tactical snowflake.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, yes, I just also appreciate that the story is also about 'Yes we know these are the open world tactical operatives who can be good and evil and whose profession is being PCs. Now look at what a terrible idea they are.'

It feels like a nice bit of self awareness and willingness to poke fun at their own premise some, basically.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It's true Jedi Knights I mean Spirit Monks I mean Spectres are an excuse to make the PC special, sure. On the other hand, it also means the player doesn't have 8 hour missions consisting of filling in form 1034-A back at Alliance HQ before being allowed to speak to a C-sec officer.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Night10194 posted:

It feels like a nice bit of self awareness and willingness to poke fun at their own premise some, basically.

I think you're giving them too much credit.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bobfly posted:

I think you're giving them too much credit.

True, considering 2 and 3. Though weren't those by a different writing team?

ME2 was a great game but it was also kinda the start of 'Oooo, look how Dark and Gritty we'll make the galaxy.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Night10194 posted:

Well, yes, I just also appreciate that the story is also about 'Yes we know these are the open world tactical operatives who can be good and evil and whose profession is being PCs. Now look at what a terrible idea they are.'

Saren was just taking an early stab at the synthesis ending

Cut her some slack

• Locked thread