Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I just got me a brand new used Thinkpad X220. There's just nothing like a good old Thinkpad to warm you in bed on a cold winter night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Why does nobody here think that the fact CIG actively tries to silence critics is a problem?
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3ysstd/why_does_nobody_here_think_that_the_fact_cig/

Didn't I say this guy is amazing? He's like a übercitizen.

Just look at this from a few days ago.

Gary Oldman was just hanging around! People brought the furniture from their own homes! I hope CIG is paying him well because his rear end must be bloody raw from pulling so much stuff out.

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Although we will probably never know, I keep wondering just how large the early grey market and the bitcoin greedsters played in creating this hilarious situation.

I can't keep help but thinking how much of the current vocal community sounds like bitcoiners who are slowly coming to grip that they have yet again thrown away all their money trying to make a quick buck.

The difference is that with bitcoin it was scammers and criminals that got all their money, and in this case it's CGI.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SharkTattoos posted:

Although we will probably never know, I keep wondering just how large the early grey market and the bitcoin greedsters played in creating this hilarious situation.

I can't keep help but thinking how much of the current vocal community sounds like bitcoiners who are slowly coming to grip that they have yet again thrown away all their money trying to make a quick buck.

The difference is that with bitcoin it was scammers and criminals that got all their money, and in this case it's CGI.

its a good point because you'll notice a lot of people insist on calling it an investment

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

SharkTattoos posted:

Not seeing the difference.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Eonwe posted:

I don't care if people like the game. Like Loiosh was awesome at saying why he was still interested in the game
I care. People should expect better than what they're getting. If I'm reading between the lines correctly, CRobber's statement about not having everything at launch/iterating post-launch with lots of updates combined with refunds being denied because of what's been delivered, then Alpha 2.0 is Star Citizen. It's the game they paid for. It will be added to later, but nobody knows what will be added or when because CIG isn't talking about release dates anymore. Because the game has been released. PAAAAAAARP.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

MeLKoR posted:

Why does nobody here think that the fact CIG actively tries to silence critics is a problem?
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3ysstd/why_does_nobody_here_think_that_the_fact_cig/

Gary Oldman was just hanging around! People brought the furniture from their own homes! I hope CIG is paying him well because his rear end must be bloody raw from pulling so much stuff out.

I heard Gary Oldman was having a garage sale next door to the motion capture studio and Chris just kind of bumped into him and said "lol, hi Gary you busy man?" then Gary said "lmfao no man! just selling some of my old aeroplane furniture here outside this motion capture studio" then Sandi turned up in her convertible BMW and said "LMFAO you guys!!! why don't you quickly pop in here Gary, do some motion capture and we'll take the furniture, this is all really convenient!" Then Ben stuck his chins around the corner and said "OMG LMFAO LOL I am having a massive heart attack you guys please call 911"

Then they all just sat around for hours high fiving each other and loling until it went dark

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NightWig posted:

This is a super late reply to a post earlier. I read the thread and would quote it when I had opportunity, but can't find it now since this thread moves way fast.
It was a post from RSI forums about how SC is perfect for everyone.

This got me thinking of my product design courses in engineering design. The phrase "there is no one perfect pasta sauce". A phrase used to indicate that you cannot have just one product to appeal to everyone. Appealing to everyone quickly makes the product appeal to no-one since every part of the product that appeals to one group gets super thin. You can't loving get every gamer to one game, that would make a terrible game, aka star citizen if it gets released (lol as if it's going to)

For video game stuff, here is Jim Sterling explaining it and applying it to the industry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irZ-159xsZY

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ask him how changing even a small portion of an aircraft can change its aerodynamic behavior and become a massive issue, or how not understanding (either through ignorance or lack of knowledge) certain properties of physics can lead to catastrophic and life-ending accidents (re: as with Compressibility or with the Me-210)

I am sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about. Why would you even compare space ships a thousand years in the future such as the ones in Star Citizen to WWII planes? That is utterly crazy.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

TTerrible posted:

Loiosh last posted on the 15th of December, saying he was considering getting a refund and buying back in if the game is ever released and worth playing. I hope he got in before the wall came down on refunds :(

they stopped giving refunds? when did this happen?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Agrajag posted:

they stopped giving refunds? when did this happen?

Not sure of the exact date, but they're claiming that the 2.0 release pushed to all backers just before christmas counts as a "substantial implementation" or some poo poo. No more refunds.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

I heard that all the employees also bring their own PCs and servers and bandwidth from home, Sandi and Chris only pay themselves a salary of 1 dollar per year, and that they've made an additional 300 million dollars by not having a publisher or marketing budget.

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013
I've lurked a long time and I just wanted to contribute to reaching page 1000. I really appreciate how massively entertaining this thread is.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

MeLKoR posted:

Oh good, :notacult: is operating as usual, I was afraid that the masses of posts I've had to skip in this thread lately indicated otherwise. I love that one guy arguing with Beer and getting down to "I don't know anything and shouldn't have made assertions about something you did I'm sure was bad." :allears:

:gary: on, Star Shitizens :yarg:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Pyswagoras posted:

I've lurked a long time and I just wanted to contribute to reaching page 1000. I really appreciate how massively entertaining this thread is.

Your contribution has been both noted and appreciated Citizen, thank you

Andronian
Feb 17, 2012

I've been reading this thread for a while, still only on page like 600, but AS I WAS READING THE THREAD on my phone, I overheard a coworker at my new job in the next cube row over talking about Star Citizen. At first I thought I was crazy and just hearing things because I was reading about it, but I listened closer and I heard him name drop Gary Oldman and Mark Hamill.

I really had to resist firing up YouTube and blasting PAAAARRRRRP for the whole office to hear.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Andronian posted:

I've been reading this thread for a while, still only on page like 600, but AS I WAS READING THE THREAD on my phone, I overheard a coworker at my new job in the next cube row over talking about Star Citizen. At first I thought I was crazy and just hearing things because I was reading about it, but I listened closer and I heard him name drop Gary Oldman and Mark Hamill.

I really had to resist firing up YouTube and blasting PAAAARRRRRP for the whole office to hear.

It is your duty as a poster in this thread to pour hot tar over your cubicle wall at the earliest opprotunity

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Pyswagoras posted:

Thank you for contributing!

All you other lurkers in the thread: we need your help. Please post to help your favorite thread reach the unchartered heights of 1000 pages. o7

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Andronian posted:

Ask him when it's coming out.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Pyswagoras posted:

Who's your favorite poster?

We should start a poll!

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Andronian posted:

show him the video of cr playing star citizen

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Ask him when it's coming out.

and how much money hes "invested"

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jobbo_Fett posted:

We should start a poll!

Will 'This is not an important issue' be an option????????

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ewe2 posted:

Oh good, :notacult: is operating as usual, I was afraid that the masses of posts I've had to skip in this thread lately indicated otherwise. I love that one guy arguing with Beer and getting down to "I don't know anything and shouldn't have made assertions about something you did I'm sure was bad." :allears:

:gary: on, Star Shitizens :yarg:

You're going to have to learn to make a distinction between valid criticism (which, like this game, doesn't actually exist) and invalid baseless criticism for the sake of an agenda (anything not felating cig down to where the pubes would be in a company not run by the sandibus).

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Jobbo_Fett posted:

We should start a poll!

Gryphon is my favorite poster, he brings the fun with him

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
everyone raise your hands up in the air and lend your shitposting power

we need to create a spirit bomb to defeat the next 30 pages

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hercule is even calling for your energy just like when they were fighting majin buu

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Iglocska posted:

I am sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about. Why would you even compare space ships a thousand years in the future such as the ones in Star Citizen to WWII planes? That is utterly crazy.

I can't remember if you are a Star Citizen true believer or not, but just in case you are, I feel like I need to tell you: the ships in star citizen are actually just video game constructs. They aren't real. I know, I'm disappointed too.

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

We should start a poll!

I often find myself mesmerized by the dancing cat, so I'd have to go with peter gabriel.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

I can't remember if you are a Star Citizen true believer or not, but just in case you are, I feel like I need to tell you: the ships in star citizen are actually just video game constructs. They aren't real. I know, I'm disappointed too.

Woah wait.. WTF do you mean "not real" ? I spent $2,500! Do you know how much of my income that is?! Thats like... almost 1/4th my yearly income! They better drat well be REAL.

FingerbangMisfire
Feb 17, 2007

It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, honesty, and decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.
Got my refund in October before they circled the wagons. Still lurk and here to lend a shitposting hand to the best drat thread.

Onward to 1000 :yarg:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

peter gabriel posted:

Will 'This is not an important issue' be an option????????

As if you had to ask!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jobbo_Fett posted:

As if you had to ask!

YES! *punches air*

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

I heard Gary Oldman was having a garage sale next door to the motion capture studio and Chris just kind of bumped into him and said "lol, hi Gary you busy man?" then Gary said "lmfao no man! just selling some of my old aeroplane furniture here outside this motion capture studio" then Sandi turned up in her convertible BMW and said "LMFAO you guys!!! why don't you quickly pop in here Gary, do some motion capture and we'll take the furniture, this is all really convenient!" Then Ben stuck his chins around the corner and said "OMG LMFAO LOL I am having a massive heart attack you guys please call 911"

Then they all just sat around for hours high fiving each other and loling until it went dark

Pretty sure in Hollywood this scenario still runs a couple million dollars.

This is my star shitpost for Eonwe.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I'm very invested in E:D and I stroll around here to see how the competition is doing. Not well, apparently.

Also, to my knowledge, this is the only dedicated Mock Thread on SA worthy of my attention.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
this thread is cool and good imo.

the period from July - Oct was like observing some rare astronomical phenomena that only happens once in a lifetime.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.
Apparently I am more liked by rsi than whoever it took 2 months to respond to. that being said...my answer is not any more favorable....Now I am struck between filing a civil suit and waiting it out a bit.

quote:

Cloud Imperium Games (Cloud Imperium Games)
Dec 27, 16:12

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience with this ticket.

We have reviewed your account status and regret that we are not able to accommodate your request for a refund since it was received outside of the statutory 14 day period.

Your pledge was made as part of the crowdfunding campaign to raise funds for the development of “Star Citizen.” As such you were aware that the funds would be actively applied after receipt for this purpose, not idly maintained in a bank account, and therefore could not be subject to a refund once used. As you may know from the extensive information on our website Robertsspaceindustries.com, Cloud Imperium Games has been working diligently over the past 3 years on the development of the game, and now employs over 260 staff in four studios. 2,538 reports, updates and web shows have been made available during this time, and first modules with limited gameplay were offered as early as in fall of 2013 – by now hundreds of thousands of gameplay hours have been played on our servers. The development of the game is proceeding steadily, and a substantial part of the promised game offering dozens of gameplay hours has been made available to the backers in early release versions (see further detail below).

Pursuant to the terms of your agreement (see Sec. 4 of the Commercial Terms, and Sec. IV.A of the subsequent Terms of Service, as applicable, https://robertsspaceindustries.com/tos), your payment was a deposit to be used for the “Game Cost” (as defined therein), and such deposit has since been “earned by CIG and become non-refundable to the extent that it is used for the Game Cost...” You further agreed to “irrevocably waive any claim for refund of any deposit amount that has been used for the Game Cost and Pledge Item Cost in accordance with the above.” The only exception would be a return of unearned funds remaining in case of an abandonment of the project. If you pledged on Kickstarter, you agreed to these terms when you transferred your pledge account to robertsspaceindustries.com.

These terms are consistent with the specific nature of crowdfunding and the foreseeable use of your pledge – we hope you appreciate that we cannot ask our hard working personnel to return some of their salary nor that it would be appropriate to use current backers’ funds provided for game development as a refund for an earlier and committed pledge.

While a substantive part of the promised gameplay is now available, we acknowledge that delivery of some game elements has been delayed due to expansion of Star Citizen’s scope. This expansion is a result of the community’s declared desire to have the initial release version of the game developed to a much greater depth than contemplated originally upon start of the campaign. It is inherent to the nature of crowdfunding that such an adjustment to the project may occur. Ultimately, this will benefit all backers including yourself, since every backer will be receiving a much greater value for his/her pledge, but it may – as in this case – cause an extension of the delivery dates.

We acknowledge that some individual backers may find the additional wait undesirable. However, as per Sec. VII of the ToS, you did “acknowledge and agree that delivery as of such date is not a promise by RSI since unforeseen events may extend the development and/or production time.”

We’d like to point you to the significant gameplay which is now available; https://robertsspaceindustries.com/feature-list and if you haven't already, we encourage you to download the installer from this url: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/download and patch up to play the latest version of the game.

Star Citizen is a project for gamers, by gamers. Delays and changes are always unfortunate, but in our case they are also one of the reasons the project is so special. By financing the project using crowd funding, our team is not beholden to a publisher who would insist we ship a game unfinished or broken to meet a particular date. Thanks to continued backing of our community, we have the needed creative freedom over the project, to create a unique game, and we feel the results, such as unparalleled immersion and fidelity, are already speaking for themselves!

We sincerely hope you enjoy the updates both current and future in the Star Citizen 'Verse.

Thank you.
RSI Customer Service Management

sorry for the slow update on my response, holidays and all, although I did deliver.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Whoa cool footage of that space ship flying through the asteroids with cool mambo music WHAT THE gently caress IT'S A GIRL???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

TTerrible posted:

Not sure of the exact date, but they're claiming that the 2.0 release pushed to all backers just before christmas counts as a "substantial implementation" or some poo poo. No more refunds.

They're even rejecting refunds requested several weeks before the 2.0 release, after they sat on them for a month or more.

• Locked thread