Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

01011001 posted:

the thing that gets me is that it would have been less work and better execution to just mirror the ground classes with skell chassis types or some poo poo

yeha lmao thats what i was fully expecting. nope. skells are 100% independant from the character you spent 40 hours developing prior and you never need to play as your actual character again except for like..one scene in the story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

01011001 posted:

the thing that gets me is that it would have been less work and better execution to just mirror the ground classes with skell chassis types or some poo poo

There are a number of missteps where the solution would have been less work, to the point where it feels like everyone was working their asses off except for whoever was supposed to be in charge. So like the manager shows up late in development and checks out two separate lovingly crafted combat and gear systems that don't interact at all and is like "well we can't delay this anymore so let's just make it work."

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Chapter 12 in summary

Elma: We have to restore power to the lifehold!

10 minutes of badly directed cutscenes and slow dialog later, bad guy appears. *shocking revelations*

Elma: Wow, good thing we beat the big bad guy. Time to slowly talk about philosophy some more. Good thing there's nothing important we came here to do because boy howdy do I have some dumb thoughts about philosophy to expound.

Lin: I'm here, and I'm an idiot!!!!!!

Doug: I'm here and now I'm suddenly a space racist. This actually makes me the most relatable character in this whole chapter.

*L and Tatsu dance* (this literally happens)

Oh here's a second boss that makes no loving sense. Also you've updated your ground gear in the 30 hours of playing exclusively with Skells right? Because it drains your Skell fuel lol.

Elma: HMMmmm wasn't there something we were supposed to do?

Player Character: Attempts to pantomime "Lifehold Core" and "restore power"

*postgame cutscene with bad story decisions*

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

brainwrinkle posted:

Chapter 12 in summary

10 minutes of badly directed cutscenes and slow dialog later, bad guy appears. *shocking revelations*

Elma: Wow, good thing we beat the big bad guy. Time to slowly talk about philosophy some more. Good thing there's nothing important we came here to do because boy howdy do I have some dumb thoughts about philosophy to expound.

Doug: I'm here and now I'm suddenly a space racist. This actually makes me the most relatable character in this whole chapter.

Oh here's a second boss that makes no loving sense. Also you've updated your ground gear in the 30 hours of playing exclusively with Skells right? Because it drains your Skell fuel lol.

Kermit sipping tea

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Kermit is the bad guy

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

brainwrinkle posted:

Chapter 12 in summary

After the forced ground battle against the cat people in Sylvalum I made sure to keep my ground gear at least somewhat updated along with my skell stuff. The main bullshity about Ch12 is the point of no return and the fact that if you lose your skells you literally cannot get them back for subsequent tries on the boss unless you load a save pre-point of no return. I ended up cheesing the whole thing.

Dec 26, 2012

In Training posted:

Kermit sipping tea

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i was at level cap before i even touched chapter 10 so i just kind of blazed through chaps 10-12 in minutes. i recommend everyone does this

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I was literally offended by how bad the last chapter of Xenoblade Chronicles X was in both fight design and cutscene direction.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
It's really weird. Mira is a super cool setting and the ground combat system is really good, probably better than Xenoblade's (I never finished it, maybe it's way different in the end). But then you have the Skell combat, quests and story which feels tacked on beyond the initial premise. I guess they ran out of budget/time after a certain point.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

so despite being one of this game's earlier heralds, i basically abandoned it at like the 85 hour mark, in the middle of chapter 10 and haven't played it since, and now that i read the last two pages of this thread its a really funny change of pace as everyone's varied expectations fall through and it seems like basically a "long con" by nintendo where you invest 100% of your gamerhood into this thing for dozens of hours and then there is no crescendo and all these mechanics just disappear. what a sadness, but i have hope for the future...

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
im becoming increasingly concerned

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sorry..but the game really loving falls off. i guess if youre an insane retard and enjoy grindy korean mmos youll love the postgame but, as sofia described it feels like a long con. you invest all this time and effort into learning the mechanics and developing a cool character and then the game goes "well actually youll be in a big robot and absolutely none of that matters" and the robot combat is incredibly simple to the point of being mind numbing, but you cant go back to being on foot because everything will take 20x longer

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

klapman posted:

im becoming increasingly concerned

do what i do: play until it isn't fun anymore, and then stop

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

so despite being one of this game's earlier heralds, i basically abandoned it at like the 85 hour mark, in the middle of chapter 10 and haven't played it since, and now that i read the last two pages of this thread its a really funny change of pace as everyone's varied expectations fall through and it seems like basically a "long con" by nintendo where you invest 100% of your gamerhood into this thing for dozens of hours and then there is no crescendo and all these mechanics just disappear. what a sadness, but i have hope for the future...

I feel it's gonna join various open-world games of my past where I enjoy it for 60 hours or so and then all the cracks and wrinkles flare up at once and I just never load it up again. Which tbh isn't a bad deal, New Vegas is good company.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
*staring into a mirror sweating* I wish I was an insane retard, I wish I was an insane retard...!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

the op has been bitching for the entire thread

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

sorry..but the game really loving falls off. i guess if youre an insane retard and enjoy grindy korean mmos youll love the postgame but, as sofia described it feels like a long con. you invest all this time and effort into learning the mechanics and developing a cool character and then the game goes "well actually youll be in a big robot and absolutely none of that matters" and the robot combat is incredibly simple to the point of being mind numbing, but you cant go back to being on foot because everything will take 20x longer

Does this apply to the actual main game or just like postgame superbosses when you say this stuff. Because I don't really care about Weapons or chocobo breeding or whatever.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
It is very easy to cheese the main game, but it is not rewarding to do so.

The side content is pretty good, so I would suggest focusing on that and only advancing the story when you must. Also just drop the game at Chapter 10 and make up your own ending in your head. Or blow through it as fast as possible if you must. Finishing the game will make the side content trivially easy though.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

elf help book posted:

the op has been bitching for the entire thread

the game has a lot of glaring flaws that are apparent from the very start but you figure "well at least the combat and exploration are good so imma keep digging" and then the skells are a giant kick in the balls, in a way that doesnt set in until youve been playing with them for a while.

its bizarre because ive put over 100 hours into the game and it makes it that much more disappointing

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I think the Skell combat holds up okay until the postgame. The parts you can buy in the store are fine for the main game, so you only have to do the grindathon after level 60. It is definitely less interesting than ground combat in the long run.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

klapman posted:

*staring into a mirror sweating* I wish I was an insane retard, I wish I was an insane retard...!

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i had a lot of fun with the game but the final chapter and postgame are a conga line of bad design decisions. all the postgame content is basically a formality as you just grind materials to make superweapons to oneshot the optional bosses before they oneshot you. who the gently caress thought that was how you should wrap a game up?

and the only alternative to building superweapons is a single extremely specific ground build which the developers clearly were aware of because they made a bunch of unique max level longswords that drop from specific tyrants and have no equivalents for any other weapon type.

Dec 26, 2012

klapman posted:

congratulations

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I agree that skells in the long run aren't implemented terribly well, in that once you get one ground combat feels basically pointless (apparent game breaking very end game ground build aside) and pathetically weak. I'm not sure how they could really implement skells in a way that they still feel like more or less permanent power boosts but don't totally supplant the more interesting ground combat. Maybe sacrifice some of the open world aspects and add more areas that force you to hoof it? That would run the risk of getting annoying pretty quickly, though. Tying what a skell does to the character's class probably would be a start, though. Maybe remove fuel cost for flight and remove a lot of weapons, but jack up fuel costs for fights and regen rates so that hopping in and out of a skell becomes more of a thing.

I still quite like the game, though. The more major problems only really show up if you sink a ton of time into it.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 31, 2015

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Paper Triangle posted:

yeah true i guess i can't remember if lyle's gamepad is broke or if he just hates holding it for a long time or what.

the left stick no longer works, it picks a random point to be centered on when i turn the systtem on and flips out. i can see the screen tho. thank u for waiting 11 days for this response

Soral
May 30, 2009

hey all i'm still doing quests to kill level 12 tyrants in primordia and collect pearls or whatever. what happens if i just never get a skell.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

chumbler posted:

I agree that skells in the long run aren't implemented terribly well, in that once you get one ground combat feels basically pointless (apparent game breaking very end game ground build aside) and pathetically weak. I'm not sure how they could really implement skells in a way that they still feel like more or less permanent power boosts but don't totally supplant the more interesting ground combat. Maybe sacrifice some of the open world aspects and add more areas that force you to hoof it? That would run the risk of getting annoying pretty quickly, though. Tying what a skell does to the character's class probably would be a start, though. Maybe remove fuel cost for flight and remove a lot of weapons, but jack up fuel costs for fights and regen rates so that hopping in and out of a skell becomes more of a thing.

I still quite like the game, though. The more major problems only really show up if you sink a ton of time into it.

Well since skells are explicitly stated to be a weapon to combat oversized indigens and enemy skells it would be cool if they were less effective against small enemies, maybe with a hit penalty or something so that you'd prefer to fight them on the ground.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I thought they were like that already whenever I fought certain smaller enemies I missed a lot of attacks

Dec 26, 2012

Soral posted:

hey all i'm still doing quests to kill level 12 tyrants in primordia and collect pearls or whatever. what happens if i just never get a skell.

then you probably don't progress in the game

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I found a marker for an affinity quest to recruit a new party member, except to accept that quest a pre-requisite is to first accept a quest from the mission board which does nothing except tells me to go to the marker I'm already standing at. And that quest isn't on the mission board because those quests just randomly appear every time you check the board and after five minutes of doing this it still hasn't shown up.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Tender Bender posted:

I found a marker for an affinity quest to recruit a new party member, except to accept that quest a pre-requisite is to first accept a quest from the mission board which does nothing except tells me to go to the marker I'm already standing at. And that quest isn't on the mission board because those quests just randomly appear every time you check the board and after five minutes of doing this it still hasn't shown up.

is it hope's? i had trouble getting that one to show up too.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

lmao this is basically the whole game

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

What keeps me from abandoning this game is that I actually really like playing it, like going out and exploring and fighting and tackling quest objectives. It's just that the game seems to be actively trying to prevent me from playing it through its terrible quest/inventory/squad systems. Like I spent a boring half hour picking up the party members I wanted, sorting out which gear I wanted them to wear, and trying to activate some affinity and googling the prerequisites and realizing I couldn't do it because the game's RNG just didn't want me to. Then I gave up and spent the next half hour doing some quests revolving around the water reservoir and a death cult and it was really cool and fun.

Inflammatory posted:

is it hope's? i had trouble getting that one to show up too.

It's Phog I think. I was fortunate enough to grab Hope's though!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I looked for the drat pearls for two hours before realizing they were a gift from hope lmao

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This game just doesn't have the charm of the original. Reyn Time had a certain charm that "lets joke about eating the nopon" lacks. The writing isn't as good and gently caress the chipmunk voices.
The combat isn't as great IMO because everyone can do anything... half the time I don't even worry about aggro or whatever. I don't have to worry about balancing the timing of abilities unless I need healing and someone calls out a melee attack.
As someone above said, gently caress giving us party members without an interface to update all their equipment in one place.

I still like it, I'll still play it, but does it change up the formula later on?

EDIT: After reading the above, I guess the answer is no...

LordAba fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 1, 2016

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008

LordAba posted:

I still like it, I'll still play it, but does it change up the formula later on?

If you're talking about combat, you can change your class and get really good at ground combat, because there are some genuinely difficult ground fights later in the game and you can do some awesome stuff with cross-class skills.

If you're talking about the story and character development, then no, nothing changes or gets better.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

im still thinking about this. this game has quests to accept quests and if you run into the quest before the prerequisite Accept Quest-quest it tells you to go back and find the Accept Quest-quest loving poo poo

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

it's not even some weird one-off or anything it applies to a ton of the content in the game and the accept quest-quests are RNG on the quest board and may appear after you reroll it dozens and dozens of times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Is the first Xenoblade Chronicles much better? I haven't played either, coworkers are always hyping the first one tho

• Locked thread