Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dik-dik posted:

Or encrypt everything yourself and put the encrypted files in the cloud storage.

Most stuff I don't sweat. But if I need to I put the info in as a note or attachment (like PDFs) in my 1Password Vault. You just have to remember to delete the original after you've verified it's copied correctly. So far all the info I want to keep prying eyes away from I can put in my vault - passwords, bank-info, tax returns, that sort of stuff.

You can also use GPG or create containers using VeraCrypt or a an encrypted archive using 7zip. I can't think of an easy way to automate those for solutions that leverage cloud storage APIs like iCloud or OneDrive.

EDIT: poo poo. Forgot what thread I was in. Other than 1Password, that other stuff you won't be able to access from the iDevices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
What do you guys use for wallpapers, specifically an air 2?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Slowhanded posted:

To be honest if you're worried about encryption don't use any cloud service. Just run your own with something like Owncloud.

Spideroak is a reasonable middle ground between Dropbox and running your own server

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Rolo posted:

What do you guys use for wallpapers, specifically an air 2?

Interfacelift.com.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I am looking for an app I can use to trigger a macro through EventGhost. There is an app specifically for that, but the last update speaks of getting compatibility for iOS 4 and 5, so... that is a no go. What I need is something that can send either keyboard or HID-compatible input over a WiFi connection. Preferably free, and preferably have a customizable interface so that I can only have two buttons for the 'remote', instead of just having a full keyboard interface. What I'm trying to do is being to switch my PC's display from my monitor to the HDTV in the living room, from the living room, instead of having to hit Win+P on the PC keyboard. I wanted to do this with the Steam Controller, yet EventGhost can't read its input.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I use Logitech touch mouse for when I can't be arsed to get up to operate the computer 1 foot away from me. It has touchpad and keyboard modes, not a customisable keyboard though and you have to run some software on the pc.

Another option which I use is a bit convoluted, I've created an autoit script which monitors a folder for when a particular file name appears in a Dropbox folder and then runs a command, I then have the 'do' button app on my phone with a recipe to create that file. So I can then press a button from the dashboard on my phone and have it do whatever I like. I have it set up to turn the monitor off at the moment, if this interests you I can find the code and stuff.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Slash posted:

Another option which I use is a bit convoluted, I've created an autoit script which monitors a folder for when a particular file name appears in a Dropbox folder and then runs a command, I then have the 'do' button app on my phone with a recipe to create that file. So I can then press a button from the dashboard on my phone and have it do whatever I like. I have it set up to turn the monitor off at the moment, if this interests you I can find the code and stuff.

Oh, that is pretty darn interesting. I'll look into it.

edit: I pulled it off. I have a button that will switch to the TV and switch Steam to Big Picture mode. I then have a second button that will switch to monitor, and hit Alt+Q to exit Big Picture mode.

Revol fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 1, 2016

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Revol posted:

Oh, that is pretty darn interesting. I'll look into it.

edit: I pulled it off. I have a button that will switch to the TV and switch Steam to Big Picture mode. I then have a second button that will switch to monitor, and hit Alt+Q to exit Big Picture mode.

Nice one! I had the advantage of being able to code, so I used autohotkey instead of event ghost for the file monitoring.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
And LinkedIn just killed Pulse. Feeds still update but it redirects you to their webpage to try to get you to get the news worthless version. What assholes.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Unless you seriously need curation, don't rely on a third party service for your news syndication. Monetizing this service seems impossible and I would imagine a lot of these devs are putting time into it for an acqui-hire by a media organization rather than for long-term support. RSS is still a thing in 2016.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Google News, bitches.

https://news.google.com/

It's the best thing ever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cue another five pages of "google is stealing our souls" debate.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

xzzy posted:

Cue another five pages of "google is stealing our souls" debate.

Dumbest waste of effort debate ever. I have still never seen a legitimate argument for giving a gently caress about automatic computerized information collection for advertising or analytics purposes. You people think interns are reading your e-mail. You think you're important. You're not.

I use uBlock and I love it but it has nothing to do with that bullshit argument.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 5, 2016

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

Dumbest waste of effort debate ever. I have still never seen a legitimate argument for giving a gently caress about automatic computerized information collection for advertising or analytics purposes. You people think interns are reading your e-mail. You think you're important. You're not.

I use uBlock and I love it but it has nothing to do with that bullshit argument.

I use ProtonMail and only check it with Tor Browser when connected via VPN. Can't be too safe man.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
What's the recommended app these days for converting videos to iPad and/or saving offline?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've played around with basically every TV show tracking app and TeeVee is still the best. It ties into Trakt.tv so you can access everything from your computer too.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Has anybody noticed worse/more annoying adverts recently?
I'm having some trouble with some popup ads on certain websites, which produce an overlay on the site like this:

Clicking the close button will open the App Store and won't close the app. I'm seeing this on the desktop version of http://www.evanscycles.com/ and a couple of other sites. Does this happen on anyone else's Safari? I'm on the latest iOS if that makes any difference.

I have no idea if this is only happening for me, as I've tried that site on other phones and it hasn't happened.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Michael Scott posted:

Google News, bitches.

https://news.google.com/

It's the best thing ever.

I actually do use Google News, but it's still terrible for showing you the same articles over and over again, disguising blogs and satire as articles, over-enthusiastic "recommendations" from things its algorithm thinks you like and fixates upon (mixing in searches and youtube views, probably), and showing articles locked behind paywalls.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I'm having some trouble with some popup ads on certain websites, which produce an overlay on the site like this:

Clicking the close button will open the App Store and won't close the app. I'm seeing this on the desktop version of http://www.evanscycles.com/ and a couple of other sites. Does this happen on anyone else's Safari? I'm on the latest iOS if that makes any difference.

I have no idea if this is only happening for me, as I've tried that site on other phones and it hasn't happened.

Get an ad blocker???

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Do you have a really old iphone that doesn't support ad blockers? If not, get an ad blocker.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

get an ad blocker.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

You know what, I completely forgot that was a thing! I've been on an iPhone 5 until a couple of months ago, and when I moved to the 6S I forgot that I could do that now! Thanks!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

You know what, I completely forgot that was a thing! I've been on an iPhone 5 until a couple of months ago, and when I moved to the 6S I forgot that I could do that now! Thanks!

I like purify.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

The Lord Bude posted:

I like purify.

Time to post your favorite ad blocker. Mine is Blockr.

Falls right in between "too simple with no settings" and "omg what the hell do all these settings do?"

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

1blocker y'all

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
They're all the same nerds. Just use one of the like 30 normal ad blockers which exist that don't block every web font and kill half the internet.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I've been happily using 1Blocker for a while and on a whim tried Purify last week to see how it compares. My anecdotal unscientific finding was that Purify lets a lot more ads by than 1Blocker, so I kicked it to the curb.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Focus is free!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah I started using Focus when it was released, just because it was new and shiny. It does the job.

But so did all the other ad blockers I used previously, I haven't found one that does anything better or worse than anyone else.

I would like more options in general, like poo poo canning any javascript that tries to hit google analytics or a facebook server, but it's not a dealbreaker. Who knows, it might be doing that already. It's not like any of them tell you what they're doing! :downs:

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

xzzy posted:

It's not like any of them tell you what they're doing! :downs:

1Blocker does (you can enable or disable every single address/element), and lets you set up custom blocks for whatever elements you want.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

slomomofo posted:

I've been happily using 1Blocker for a while and on a whim tried Purify last week to see how it compares. My anecdotal unscientific finding was that Purify lets a lot more ads by than 1Blocker, so I kicked it to the curb.

Does 1Blocker break a significant number of websites? I have to hit the "Reload Without Content Blockers" option more than I'd like with Purify right now.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
The worst is if you click any link from within Facebook. loving overlay bullshit ads on every other goddamned page now. It's insane. I don't know how people can even use an iOS device without an adblocker now.

edit: For clarity, I mean it sucks you can't use adblockers within the Facebook browser thing.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Godzilla07 posted:

Does 1Blocker break a significant number of websites? I have to hit the "Reload Without Content Blockers" option more than I'd like with Purify right now.

In my experience it only breaks sites when you have font blocking enabled, but you can turn that off without disabling anything else.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

ddogflex posted:

The worst is if you click any link from within Facebook. loving overlay bullshit ads on every other goddamned page now. It's insane. I don't know how people can even use an iOS device without an adblocker now.

edit: For clarity, I mean it sucks you can't use adblockers within the Facebook browser thing.

I hate that I can't auto open links with Safari from the FB app. This is or was possible on Android!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well if they make it too easy to use the internet outside their garden, how will they log literally everything you do? You don't want facebook to miss out on those tasty bits do you?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Godzilla07 posted:

You can whitelist any site from the iOS share menu. It was breaking steam forums for me, so I just whitelisted them and now it's great.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

ddogflex posted:

Thank god http://m.facebook.com/ is still around- between the lack of opening links in Safari and all the auto play of vids and ads in your feed the Facebook app is a complete waste of time.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

slomomofo posted:

If you're on a family sharing, does anyone in the family get it? I know I may have to log in, download it and log out but wanted to see if it'll do it without that.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Why does Tweetbot still show tweets from people who have mentioned me in my mentions feed even when I have muted them?

I've never been able to get this to work - am I missing something obvious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Irritated Goat posted:

If you're on a family sharing, does anyone in the family get it? I know I may have to log in, download it and log out but wanted to see if it'll do it without that.

No idea- I've never used family sharing.