Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
He decided not to go after his mom, though, so the tape self-destructed. (Honestly that trick with the tape was the worst. Heaven help if Gon paused the tape so he could write it down or if he wanted to hear it again or anything! Noooo let's let the whole thing erase itself!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Well, Ging's an rear end in a top hat so it all checks out.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Clarste posted:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Clarste posted:

Welp, I can't say it was too unbelievable: http://www.scmp.com/news/china-insider/article/1308773/im-not-your-real-mother-chinese-mother-lies-daughter-encourage?page=all

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alder posted:

I'm at the end of Greed Island arc :bravo2:

Also, wtf is wrong with Ging?! Gon would be better off never meeting his father and just looking for what happened to his mother really.

Ging is basically the worst human being who isn't, like, actively malicious or hateful. Don't worry, though, you're going to see more of him eventually, so you have that to look forward to.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

YggiDee posted:

He decided not to go after his mom, though, so the tape self-destructed. (Honestly that trick with the tape was the worst. Heaven help if Gon paused the tape so he could write it down or if he wanted to hear it again or anything! Noooo let's let the whole thing erase itself!)
I decided to re-read that part and Killua did tell Gon to make a copy while they were listening to it (not that it did much good :v:) Anyway, he did have actual reasons for doing the trick unrelated to Gon (preventing unsavory people from finding him using nen) and it fits with his giant ego regarding Gon. After all, he did tell Laser/Reiza, noted convict/murderer, to go all out against Gon in a game of nen dodgeball because he was certain Gon would win anyway, despite not knowing anything about him.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Also does Hisoka stay for the entire series as final boss or not. His character is really... Flamboyant.

Favorite character is Killua and Gon's friendship.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Alder posted:

Also does Hisoka stay for the entire series as final boss or not. His character is really... Flamboyant.

Favorite character is Killua and Gon's friendship.

The series is unfinished, so nobody knows.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hisoka does, however, show up in almost every arc. Not counting the current, unfinished one and combining everything from the start of the series to the end of the exam into one, I think he's been absent in... Two? He's been a major player in more arcs than Leorio or Kurapika, really, though his "screentime" is probably lower.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I don't check for new threads as often as I should because I missed this one. I have a lot of words I'd like to say about this series but it's 4 in the goddamn morning so another time. For now, best arc is Chimera Ant, best ED is 1, best Hisoka is any Hisoka, and every single character is a horrible monster except Leorio, Colt, and Knuckle.

Dark Continent arc will come... one day...

Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

Leorio tried to beat up a granny with a two-by-four.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Alder posted:

I'm at the end of Greed Island arc :bravo2:

Also, wtf is wrong with Ging?! Gon would be better off never meeting his father and just looking for what happened to his mother really.

Gon already has a very nice mom.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Roland Jones posted:

Hisoka does, however, show up in almost every arc. Not counting the current, unfinished one and combining everything from the start of the series to the end of the exam into one, I think he's been absent in... Two? He's been a major player in more arcs than Leorio or Kurapika, really, though his "screentime" is probably lower.

That doesn't really says much though, since he isn't in the Chimera Arc, and that one is as long as the rest of the series.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Kurapika is such a boring edgelord and I want to see more fun adventures of Gon, Killuia and Leorio making money.

Uva is p. cool though.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

e X posted:

That doesn't really says much though, since he isn't in the Chimera Arc, and that one is as long as the rest of the series.

I mentioned that in one version of that post but rewrote it a few times and apparently removed that part, whoops. Yeah, the Chimera Ant arc, which is basically half the series, has no Hisoka, or Kurapika or Leorio for that matter.

Still, Hisoka shows up a lot, relative to most characters, is my point.

Also Kurapika is the best edgelord.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Kurapika may be an edgelord but after Chimera Ant and Gon letting himself fall so far down the path of revenge that it very nearly killed him, Kurapika working as a bodyguard for the Mafia is basically like taking a bunch of puppies out for a walk. What Gon did was with such passion and hatred that he just lets himself go without caring about the consequences for him or his friends. Kurapika's revenge is cold, calculated, and strategic. He knows taking out every member of the Spiders is a monumental task so he goes out of his way to test the strength of his chains against Uvo, the physically strongest member, because if he just goes in guns blazing he knows he's going to get stomped into the dirt. If he wants his revenge, he has to do it intelligently. Now obviously how that wound up playing out is a different story but I appreciate a revenge story where the character in question isn't doing it out of a single moment of passionate hate, but years of planning and preparation while you stew in it.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Gon is actually the ultimate edgelord

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Kurapika's just revenge could have felt really dark if Hunter did conventional good and evil stuff, but it doesn't, so it's intense and exciting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Getting revenge on the ryodan is kind of pointless, as they keep replacing members. Even if Kurapika went full murder-happy instead of being all but crippled by guilt he would still be limited to killing one at a time.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Serious Frolicking posted:

Getting revenge on the ryodan is kind of pointless, as they keep replacing members. Even if Kurapika went full murder-happy instead of being all but crippled by guilt he would still be limited to killing one at a time.

From what I understood, he is really only interested in killing those who killed his tribe. The organization as a whole doesn't really seem to matter to him.

And what i really hope is that Togashi doesn't pull a 'revenge is bad' on us and has him abandoning his quest. I mean, I liked that he ultimately choose his friends over revenge in Yorkshin when the situation demanded it, but drat if I don't want to see Kurapika murder every last one of them. The Ryodan are easily my favorite members, and they actually come across pretty likable in their interactions but it would narrativly be very fitting if they get hunted down by one of their victims.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

Ging is basically the worst human being who isn't, like, actively malicious or hateful. Don't worry, though, you're going to see more of him eventually, so you have that to look forward to.

Hes not that bad of a person, hes just just incredibly selfish.

Hes just Yusuke that now is way into archaeology.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

e X posted:

From what I understood, he is really only interested in killing those who killed his tribe. The organization as a whole doesn't really seem to matter to him.

And what i really hope is that Togashi doesn't pull a 'revenge is bad' on us and has him abandoning his quest. I mean, I liked that he ultimately choose his friends over revenge in Yorkshin when the situation demanded it, but drat if I don't want to see Kurapika murder every last one of them. The Ryodan are easily my favorite members, and they actually come across pretty likable in their interactions but it would narrativly be very fitting if they get hunted down by one of their victims.

Well, in Yorknew it was acknowledged that Kurapika's obsession with revenge was bad for him, and his friends all wanted to get him away from it so he doesn't get himself killed, but, it hasn't painted killing the Troupe as wrong. Uvogin was a monster, and while Pakunoda was more sympathetic in the meantime we've seen pretty much everyone else on Kurapika's list, and really even the replacements in the meantime (Hisoka, Shizuku, etc.) need to be stopped. It seems to be, so far at least, less that revenge is bad and more that Kurapika was heading into a dark place and was, at least somewhat, pulled out of it.

Also, note that the prophecies originally had Kurapika annihilating like half the troupe, including Shizuku, one of the replacements. If he could have he totally would have destroyed them all. And they would have deserved it, really.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

e X posted:

Kurapika becoming increasingly frustrated as his friends continue to pop up in trouble when he's in the middle of hunting down Troupe members.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its a shame the hisoka/kuroro or whatever he's called fight is never going to happen imo because hisoka being confident enough to take him on + 2 ryodan members owns

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Hisoka is legit likely one of the most powerful dudes in the whole series. His bungee gum seems sort of underwhelming when compared to what Chrollo's power does, but it honestly lets him cheat at the standard Nen development rules.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hisoka would be kinda screwed against someone with the ability to see through his abilities, though. Sure, he can do a straight up fight pretty well but he relies on deception to punch above his weight class.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I'm actually suspicious that the deception poo poo is just something he does for fun against his lessors. And we've never seen Hisoka "punch above his weight" in the slightest, in fact he's never had a fight were he wasn't just clowning on the other person in the whole series.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Someone paranoid enough to constantly use Gyo while fighting other Nen users would really throw a wrench in Hisoka's battle rhythm.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

NecroMonster posted:

I'm actually suspicious that the deception poo poo is just something he does for fun against his lessors. And we've never seen Hisoka "punch above his weight" in the slightest, in fact he's never had a fight were he wasn't just clowning on the other person in the whole series.

I think the only person that Hisoka has encountered that could potentially wreck his poo poo, no questions asked, is probably Bisky.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

This is the actual biggest tragedy in the entire series, not a single time did he get the big fight he wanted. First Kastro turns out to be a big disappointment, then his own schemes screw him out of the fight with Chrollo, then while trying to fix that he misses out on the entire Chimera Ant arc which had among other things Gon at his strongest. Sucks to be Hisoka lol

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TWIST FIST posted:

This is the actual biggest tragedy in the entire series, not a single time did he get the big fight he wanted. First Kastro turns out to be a big disappointment, then his own schemes screw him out of the fight with Chrollo, then while trying to fix that he misses out on the entire Chimera Ant arc which had among other things Gon at his strongest. Sucks to be Hisoka lol

But what if....

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

that just makes it even more tragic

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

One of the key considerations with Nen powers, especially within regards to their "battle effectiveness" is flexibility vs specialization. Most simply put, how many situations the power could be useful in vs how strong that power is in specific situations. Straying too far along either axis robs a Nen user of potential. This is why "enhancement" Nen is typically regarded as the best all around battle Nen, because it's able to specialize (focus on building physical strength) without sacrificing flexibility. This is what also makes Hisoka's power sort of crazy on examination, it is absolutely a heavily specialized power, it only really does one thing well, it's just the thing it's so specialized in is literally flexibility.

loving Bungee Gum gives that sadistic rear end in a top hat an ability to mitigate, manipulate, and augment physical force to a degree beyond anything seen in this series from any other character. I mean, yeah Hisoka loves him some tricks and mindgames, but if you for a second think that the deadly "magic tricks" he loves playing on everyone is even close to the extent of what he's able to do with his power then he's fooled you too.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Yup, it's good for straight up battle, good for cheap shots, traps, tricking people. And even if you know how it works he can still apply it in numerous ways, none of which can be stopped.
Basically you need some sort of conditional nen hax to stop him, because if you try to stand and bang with him you'll take a huge risk.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He likes to go "tee hee my big secret is how bungie gum works" but absolutely never reveals that he has deceitful texture.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think knuckles could do it. That kids got pluck.

e: is anyone actually aware of deceitful texture?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

which is extra fun because even we really have no drat clue what that ability is actually capable of, we just don't know any loving thing about it at all

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Stairmaster posted:

I think knuckles could do it. That kids got pluck.

e: is anyone actually aware of deceitful texture?

Sewing girl from the Ryodan thought he used it to hide wounds. Because he showed her the arm that was severed

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nah, we know what Texture Surprise (official translation, and one I like since he named it after a candy he liked, while "Deceitful Texture" describes literally the opposite of what it does) does. It puts fake appearances on things, though it doesn't alter their texture, hence things like his fake skin handkerchief in the fight with Kastro or his fake prophecies. It's really simple, like Bungee Gum, but can be used in multiple ways and is limited mostly by his creativity, though unlike Bungee Gum it is almost solely a tool of deception. A very, very good one for that, mind.

But yeah, Hisoka's never really been in a fight with someone he wasn't above in power; the closest we got is Razor and that wasn't a real fight, which limited him immensely. It'd be interesting to see him in a real fight where he doesn't have the upper hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Even in the competition with Razor, Hisoka simply ended the whole ordeal when Gon was no longer able to carry on.