Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Baal posted:

Is there anything new with the FFVIII PC Port or is just the same game with cheats I have to implement myself
The latter, and you also get to replace the music yourself if you don't want to listen to the lovely old PC soundtrack.

It has the chocobo minigame that was only in the Japanese PSX release, but that's the only PC addition I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I guess they're on at least some of the original assets, because some of them are looking a bit rough now they're perfectly emulator-sharp.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i've never played FF9, but it always looked really weird to me

they got some big heads man

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's good, you should try it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Polsy posted:

I guess they're on at least some of the original assets, because some of them are looking a bit rough now they're perfectly emulator-sharp.

I highly doubt Square-Enix would use the uncompressed backgrounds that got leaked on the Internet a while back. I'm expecting a rather low effort port. It'd be nice if the modding community added them in though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And with the speed-up option it fixes the biggest flaw

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

It's good, you should try it.

i will, i have a plan to have every FF on steam (that isn't a terrible cellphone port or MMO)

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Man I really want to play X-2

Come on squeenix

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

In Training posted:

With X/X-2 soon behind it that's all the good FFs on PC, even if some of the versions are lovely mobile ports

We're still missing the best one, ie. 12. I wouldn't mind seeing a port of 1 either.

Considering 1 and 2 have android ports and that's the source for the PC ports of 3, 4, 5, and 6 I'm surprised that 1 and 2 haven't been ported yet.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

We're still missing the best one, ie. 12

i would respond to your statement but i havent found the ENEMY HAS BAD OPINION gambit in a chest yet

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

FFXII HD Zodiac Edition or whatever seems inevitable and I will buy it when it happens

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mandatory lesbian posted:

i've never played FF9, but it always looked really weird to me

they got some big heads man

It's one of my favorite games

Like overall not just in this retarded franchise

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FF9 is really charming and cute and suffers mostly for being super fuckin' slow and kind of meandering hard towards the middle.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I like cute things, it's actually kinda weird I never played it.

What's 9 like? Y'all don't talk about it anywhere near as much as 7, 8, 10, or 13

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

if you remember the way you learn skills in ffta, that's taken from ff9

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

FF9 is really charming and cute and suffers mostly for being super fuckin' slow and kind of meandering hard towards the middle.

I really hope they include a cheat that speeds up everything like they did with PS4 FF7.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What's 9 like? Y'all don't talk about it anywhere near as much as 7, 8, 10, or 13

9 is an intentional throwback to the SNES era of Final Fantasy. It's a lot more 'cartoony' than any of the PSX or PS2 games and basically paced somewhat like a lighthearted adventure story. It gets a little into melodrama and Philosophy 101 but not to the excessive degree of the other PS1 games. It's very much built around exploring a wide world full of silly characters and it is absolutely the most lighthearted FF game despite moments of darkness.

The combat system is pretty much old-school. Every character is a class and that class can't be changed or modified. Zidane is a thief, Dagger a summoner, Vivi a black mage and so-on. You learn new skills from equipment and that's about it. There are a few twists but they're very minor. (Limit Breaks are now a temporary super form, Vivi and Steiner can do a combo attack, that's about it.) The combat isn't anything to write home about and honestly you'll probably just end up finding a few good moves and spamming them through most fights.

The graphics have aged remarkably well for a PS1 game due to the heavy stylization and the soundtrack is pretty excellent. The translation is actually genuinely good for the most part and the core storyline is fun. It suffers largely for having a few extraneous characters who join, have like one or two scenes, and then vanish almost entirely from the plot while remaining in your party. The 'core' team of Zidane, Dagger, Vivi and Steiner basically are the guys the game is about and everyone else is along for the ride.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 31, 2015

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Mr E posted:

I really hope they include a cheat that speeds up everything like they did with PS4 FF7.
It'd be nice to have that and the no encounters cheat. I don't overuse it or anything, but for some areas with a lot of running around it's an absolute godsend.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Its like if 4 was made in 1999.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
9 is a perfectly good game and worth playing if you're a FF fan at all. A "warts and all" qualifier does apply since it is from last millennium and it strains under the limits of the hardware of the time. The loading times are bad, there's just no getting around that bit of criticism. Aside from that, though, ImpAtom nailed it. It's a game with charm galore that aims at your nostalgia core but is very much solid even if you don't get the references.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

It's a good game but it came out so late in a generation that PS2 games were what people were looking at by the time they were playing it. It also has almost no customization so it doesn't have a lot of "play this 50 times 50 different ways like some of the other games". It's a really good game but it's a weird thing that maybe could have been some weird side series thing instead of a main numbered title.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Also if 4 was really slow instead of being snappy like the SNES games.

Like, it has all the downsides you'd expect from an FF game in 1999 added as well. But it's a good game and worth playing if you haven't.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

if you remember the way you learn skills in ffta, that's taken from ff9

ah cool, can't wait to learn how Steal skills wreck the game

ImpAtom posted:

9 is an intentional throwback to the SNES era of Final Fantasy. It's a lot more 'cartoony' than any of the PSX or PS2 games and basically paced somewhat like a lighthearted adventure story. It gets a little into melodrama and Philosophy 101 but not to the excessive degree of the other PS1 games. It's very much built around exploring a wide world full of silly characters and it is absolutely the most lighthearted FF game despite moments of darkness.

The combat system is pretty much old-school. Every character is a class and that class can't be changed or modified. Zidane is a thief, Dagger a summoner, Vivi a black mage and so-on. You learn new skills from equipment and that's about it. There are a few twists but they're very minor. (Limit Breaks are now a temporary super form, Vivi and Steiner can do a combo attack, that's about it.) The combat isn't anything to write home about and honestly you'll probably just end up finding a few good moves and spamming them through most fights.

The graphics have aged remarkably well for a PS1 game due to the heavy stylization and the soundtrack is pretty excellent. The translation is actually genuinely good for the most part and the core storyline is fun. It suffers largely for having a few extraneous characters who join, have like one or two scenes, and then vanish almost entirely from the plot while remaining in your party. The 'core' team of Zidane, Dagger, Vivi and Steiner basically are the guys the game is about and everyone else is along for the ride.

thanks, i like the Class/Job games better so i will prob like this

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

And since the PC version has a speed up option the only major gripe anybody has with the game will be solved

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

steal sucks in ff9 but it's ok because zidane is a powerhouse regardless

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
They must've had the original videos saved somewhere because the FMVs in the trailer look amazing and far sharper then they did on the PS1.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

And since the PC version has a speed up option the only major gripe anybody has with the game will be solved

Well, unless you're a completionist.

If you're a completionist FF9 will kill you.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

I will buy this and I will play this.

You all better do the same.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

ImpAtom posted:

Oh god if they don't have a skip cutscene option getting Excalibur 2 is going to be insanely difficult since you won't have the trick of opening the disk drive to force a cutscene skip.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Oh yeah. I don't really play games like that but FF9 is an insane nightmare for those goals.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

corn in the bible posted:

steal sucks in ff9 but it's ok because zidane is a powerhouse regardless

steal sucks so bad.

Enemies have multiple items and since you learn skills from equipment you really want to get it all so every boss fight is 15 minutes of hitting defend and steal over and over and over to get some 1/64th chance to get the rare item which because it's 1999 you can't even look online to see if the rare item will be something you care about or an x-potion.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

9 is the best game in the series, and it's very strange to me that everyone doesn't realize this.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

i have never 100% a video game before, and I don't see a reason to start now

oh wait this isn't quite true, i 100% Yugioh Eternal Duelist Soul when i was like 14, but that's it

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Ohtsam posted:

Oh god if they don't have a skip cutscene option getting Excalibur 2 is going to be insanely difficult since you won't have the trick of opening the disk drive to force a cutscene skip.

The world record for FF9 speed run is under 10 hours!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

FactsAreUseless posted:

9 is the best game in the series, and it's very strange to me that everyone doesn't realize this.

9 seems like a game where a good remake would be the best game but it's otherwise the most 1999 jrpg possible in a way that made it really hard to play.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

steal sucks so bad.

Enemies have multiple items and since you learn skills from equipment you really want to get it all so every boss fight is 15 minutes of hitting defend and steal over and over and over to get some 1/64th chance to get the rare item which because it's 1999 you can't even look online to see if the rare item will be something you care about or an x-potion.

And if you bought the strategy guide, it probably just told you to visit Playonline and enter the code to see where the steal info is at.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I like 7, XIII, X-2 and LR more but they're all very close in quality and enjoy ability to me for different reasons.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

9 is my favorite in the series but I don't actually reeaallly enjoy playing it any more?

Same exact deal with the 9th Fire Emblem game actually. They're both great but the slow gameplay adds up over time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

steal sucks so bad.

Now now, that isn't true! You could buy the strategy gui-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Terper posted:

9 is my favorite in the series but I don't actually reeaallly enjoy playing it any more?

Same exact deal with the 9th Fire Emblem game actually.

i can't play FFTA anymore cause i can't stop myself from grinding the early cinqueda