Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I really like the first act of FF9 and then I can never care enough about the gameplay or the story past that first act finale, and reading plot synopses I am lead to believe that the writers also did not care enough past that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ohtsam posted:

Oh god if they don't have a skip cutscene option getting Excalibur 2 is going to be insanely difficult since you won't have the trick of opening the disk drive to force a cutscene skip.

At least it'll still be in theory possible for me to get it. I had the PAL version and if you had the PAL version, you'll never see Excalibur 2 unless you have a cheat device.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

zedprime posted:

I really like the first act of FF9 and then I can never care enough about the gameplay or the story past that first act finale, and reading plot synopses I am lead to believe that the writers also did not care enough past that point.

Kuja is one of the best written FF villains and I will fight anyone who disagrees.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wait was the speed up confirmed

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Baal posted:

Wait was the speed up confirmed

Yeah they're adding a fast forward function, and Auto-save too which is really nice

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fuckin a

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel like I should love FF9 but I've never been a big fan. I started it probably a half dozen times only to quit a few hours in, eventually sucked it up and powered through, and still didn't really think that much of it. Not good or bad, it was just kind of there. I guess I should revisit it because it is definitely more appealing to me in 2015 than anything that came after it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Is there a reason why they aren't porting it to PS4 like VII? IX is my favorite FF and I'll definitely be picking it up for PC, but honestly I'd rather have it on PS4 and it seems like throwing away money not to port it, unless there is some legal / technological challenge there.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

corn in the bible posted:

i would respond to your statement but i havent found the ENEMY HAS BAD OPINION gambit in a chest yet

You jest but this was basically fixed in IZJS and you can buy all the gambits anywhere after the Barheim Passage.

Pureauthor posted:

Kuja is one of the best written FF villains and I will fight anyone who disagrees.

I don't disagree but at the same time that's not exactly a high bar.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Is there a reason why they aren't porting it to PS4 like VII? IX is my favorite FF and I'll definitely be picking it up for PC, but honestly I'd rather have it on PS4 and it seems like throwing away money not to port it, unless there is some legal / technological challenge there.

It doesn't have a remake they want to promote. They will probably port it and FFVIII to PS4 at some point tho

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Just recently played through FFT: War of the Lions on android, never owned a PSP so it was my first time. I get irrationally upset at the direction they took the FFT franchise. There was so much depth in FFT that if they had worked on balance and made a legit sequel it would've killed, instead they dumbed it down and put it on their handheld. Don't get me wrong, I love my 3DS, but I have spent hours researching and trying to find a tactical RPG with as good a job/customization system and nothing compares. What gives?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

zedprime posted:

This is true. They took the lighthearted charm of the first half, removed it, and replaced it with extremely long dungeons and anime philosophy.

Makes you think. So deep.

It was also surprising how little there was to Zidane and Garnet's relationship after the build up in the first half.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ff12 international adds a bunch of weapons that don't have any models and also the chests they are in are invisible too because effort is difficult

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
FF9 on an emulator with a fast-forward option is the best game in the series, even with that poo poo card game, and it's fun to play a second time if you use the opposite party you used the first time. It'd be hard to play again without a speedup so these new cheat modes are sweet.

The set pieces were and are still fantastic and aged super well since they were pre-rendered.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Reik posted:

Just recently played through FFT: War of the Lions on android, never owned a PSP so it was my first time. I get irrationally upset at the direction they took the FFT franchise. There was so much depth in FFT that if they had worked on balance and made a legit sequel it would've killed, instead they dumbed it down and put it on their handheld. Don't get me wrong, I love my 3DS, but I have spent hours researching and trying to find a tactical RPG with as good a job/customization system and nothing compares. What gives?
The franchise you actually want to play is Tactics Ogre.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's a really good game but it's a weird thing that maybe could have been some weird side series thing instead of a main numbered title.

IIRC, that was what it was originally going to be, and then in development they shifted it into the main numbered series. It was always going to be a throwback to the older games (there's concept art of the circle of sages, Garland, and other character classes and poo poo - some of which survive to the full game).
Glad its getting ported anyway, it's always been my personal favourite, despite its flaws.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 31, 2015

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pesky Splinter posted:

IIRC, that was what it was originally going to be, and then in development they shifted it into the main numbered series.
Glad its getting ported anyway, it's always been my personal favourite, despite its flaws.

At the time they didn't have a lot going on on side stuff. It feels like now it'd be a perfect game to come out on the 3DS and be called final fantasy heroes or something like that.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

It's been a long rear end time since I played FF9 and I don't remember that much of it but I liked how much stuff they brought back from old games, like the fiends from FF1. Also the redmage/dragoon character owned. Never cared for Zidane though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The game was also mostly developed in Hawaii, making it the first and only American developed Final Fantasy game. Kind of.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

The franchise you actually want to play is Tactics Ogre.

I played those. They haven't made one since like '96 though :smith:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Reik posted:

I played those. They haven't made one since like '96 though :smith:

that can't be true cause i remember there being one for the GBA, unless that was just a remake

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

that can't be true cause i remember there being one for the GBA, unless that was just a remake

Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis yeah. It was an interquel set between the original Ogre Battle and Ogre Battle 64.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis yeah. It was an interquel set between the original Ogre Battle and Ogre Battle 64.

I did play that one. It was a good game, but it didn't have the depth I was looking for. Going through the battle mechanics guide for FFT on gamefaqs showed me how much potential is there.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Zidane is the best protagonist

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Oh gently caress yes.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

zedprime posted:

The ending reveal and complete switch into DBZ was super lame. Ill agree the first part intill the airship fight with the black mage was really cool.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

The ending reveal and complete switch into DBZ was super lame. Ill agree the first part intill the airship fight with the black mage was really cool.
Nothing about this game's plot has anything in common with DBZ except that at one point, a character becomes more powerful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is one plot point in common with DBZ the tailed protagonist was an alien weapon of destruction and his brother is his enemy which is a fairly specific plot point to be in common but otherwise it has nothing else to do with DBZ in any way, shape or form.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 31, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Nothing about this game's plot has anything in common with DBZ except that at one point, a character becomes more powerful.

That guy has a history of literally thinking it was ripping off Goku, and then bitched for pages when he was told it was not.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
hair become spiky

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

FactsAreUseless posted:

Goku, was put on Earth to destroy it, but had an accident and lost his memory.
Zidane was put on Gaia to facilitate it's own destruction, but lost his memory due to an accident.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Goku, was put on Earth to destroy it, but had an accident and lost his memory.
Zidane was put on Gaia to facilitate it's own destruction, but lost his memory due to an accident.

You heard it here folks, the Iron Giant is Dragonball Z.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Tae posted:

That guy has a history of literally thinking it was ripping off Goku, and then bitched for pages when he was told it was not.

Don't both just reference Journey to the West?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tae posted:

Lol I remember this guy.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ff9's plot is cool the whole way through as long as you remember to treat it as an amusing stage play that homages alot of ff things just for kicks

don't fall into the well of caring about why necron exists or what it means, just recognize it as a zeromus reference and move on

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Baal posted:

Is there anything new with the FFVIII PC Port or is just the same game with cheats I have to implement myself

Chocobo World minigame (get exclusive summons and recover missable items from the main game)
Magic Booster (gives everyone a selection of low/mid-tier spells)

In-game cheats (mapped to function keys):
- Speed up
- Full ATB/HP/Limit
- 9999 damage
- Max AP/Lv for GFs
- Max money and magic stock (there is an achievement for pressing this button)

You'll have to fix the music with mods but it's nice if you want to blow through an already easy game in a few hours

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 31, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ImpAtom posted:

You heard it here folks, the Iron Giant is Dragonball Z.

The iron giant didnt have a monkey tail.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Epi Lepi posted:

Don't both just reference Journey to the West?

tailed hero is a reference i believe but i have a feeling Journey to the West isn't about aliens, as they had not given us cellphones yet

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
it's me, i'm the guy that said cellphones instead of computers, or literally any other technological thing

hell atom bomb would have been better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Tempo 119 posted:

You'll have to fix the music with mods
You can also use those same mods to replace certain tracks with orchestral versions or Black Mages buttrock remixes, which is pretty great.