Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There's no reason to keep fighting for Korra to defend the Clover/Platinum Was/Is Flawless thing, the Viewtiful Joe sequels were years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

Tupperwarez posted:

Oh my loving god Matt, you and Woolie are killing it. Innsmouth Blitzball announcers and Racist Wakka? poo poo is incredible.

I kinda wish people would focus more on what Woolie and I think, is some incredibly funny/silly commentary, which is kinda why they are supposed to be watching, and not our passing distaste for a mini-game that constitutes less than 0.1% of FFX.

nexas
Sep 4, 2009

nope

Once I got to fish people blitzball commentary I instantly thought of Plague feverishly animating that whole thing because that defiantly seems to be up his ally.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The difference between Korra and Transformers is one was $15 and feels kind of shallow and the other is $60 and feels kind of shallow.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The fish people stuff made a long, bland battle scene hilarious as hell. And then they started talking about Sin and the episode went from hilarious to amazing.

I'm with Matt, can we get art of Sin replacing Jecht in that one Tidus nightmare?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I want fanart of a Blitzball game with the Goers on one side and Sin on the other.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Were those fish people minions of Sin? If so is the tourney being evacuated?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Were those fish people minions of Sin? If so is the tourney being evacuated?

The fish thingies are just fiends. Sin spawns are very specifically those scaly wing things like crab shells. And you won't get this info unless you do very specific backtracking, but the attack was a set-up.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Imagine Sin, flawlessly pulling off the Jecht Shot.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

The Bee posted:

Imagine Sin, flawlessly pulling off the Jecht Shot.

There were no survivors.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheRealestMatt posted:

I kinda wish people would focus more on what Woolie and I think, is some incredibly funny/silly commentary, which is kinda why they are supposed to be watching, and not our passing distaste for a mini-game that constitutes less than 0.1% of FFX.
granted I'm only on episode 5 or so but I am enjoying the commentary itself. Haven't reached the bulk of blitzball stuff though I guess

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

It's more beautiful than I ever imagined :allears:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
FFX has been by far one of my favorite LPs purely based on the blend of sincere 'no this poo poo is neat' or 'here's why this game system doesn't work well for me' commentary and absolute bonkers jokes like the fish announcers, it's pretty much exactly why I like the channel.

:yeah:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

FFX is primo best friends

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
FFX is like video game comfort food for me, I can go back every couple of years and play through it and have a good time. Similarly watching people play it, with at least one person who's never experienced it or has forgotten most of it, is pretty entertaining.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Happy new year best community thread

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Less incredibly obvious editing artifacts

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheRealestMatt posted:

So I was watching episode 12 and at first I was absolutely flabbergasted. Not by you guys messing up Blitzball or anything, but more the fact that somebody (or several somebodys) at Square thought that Blitzball being a weird numbers game that is very obtuse was somehow fun. More baffling was the fact that it doesn't really mean anything if you won or not meaning why spend 10-15 minutes even doing this thing other than some sort of story padding.

Then came the part where Sin's minions attacked and the hilarious Commentary/Innsmouth/Marking out over how awesome Auron is/Summoning Dagon From The Depths stuff happened and I kinda forgot about all the initial lead-up. What I'm saying is that the work you two are putting into this is both hilarious and the main reason I keep watching this, since I think if I were trying to learn about FFX from some sort of longplay I probably wouldn't have been able to last this long.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Angry_Ed posted:

So I was watching episode 12 and at first I was absolutely flabbergasted. Not by you guys messing up Blitzball or anything, but more the fact that somebody (or several somebodys) at Square thought that Blitzball being a weird numbers game that is very obtuse was somehow fun. More baffling was the fact that it doesn't really mean anything if you won or not meaning why spend 10-15 minutes even doing this thing other than some sort of story padding.

Then came the part where Sin's minions attacked and the hilarious Commentary/Innsmouth/Marking out over how awesome Auron is/Summoning Dagon From The Depths stuff happened and I kinda forgot about all the initial lead-up. What I'm saying is that the work you two are putting into this is both hilarious and the main reason I keep watching this, since I think if I were trying to learn about FFX from some sort of longplay I probably wouldn't have been able to last this long.

FFX is really the perfect game to LP, because it is at times awesome, stupid, unintentionally hilarious, or just had a great idea implemented poorly, but what it never is is mediocre. Very little in FFX makes me go "ehhhhh".

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

FFX has a very cool and well-versed world and setting, but the awkwardness of being the first fully-voiced rpg will have its egg shells.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

everything about ffx makes me go ehhhhh

final fantasy feels so bland

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
This isn't anything directed at or specific to Matt and Woolie at all, but I do notice people tend to be a little harsh on this game's jankiness, particularly the character animations and the bad dubbing. It's just odd because it's not as if other games in that era were much better in those regards, but because FFX was such a big deal in the history of games people sort of rag on it harder without any regard for its age.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

lets hang out posted:

everything about ffx makes me go ehhhhh

final fantasy feels so bland

I don't understand how you can say FFX is bland unless there was a real surge of asian island-based video games I missed

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I loving love Tidus

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

FFX is many things, most of which are terrible, but bland? Nah.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rodyle posted:

FFX is many things, most of which are terrible, but bland? Nah.

We agree on very little FFX wise but at least we're together on this

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

This isn't anything directed at or specific to Matt and Woolie at all, but I do notice people tend to be a little harsh on this game's jankiness, particularly the character animations and the bad dubbing. It's just odd because it's not as if other games in that era were much better in those regards, but because FFX was such a big deal in the history of games people sort of rag on it harder without any regard for its age.

There are RPGs with better dubs that came before.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Genocyber posted:

There are RPGs with better dubs that came before.

In 2001? Name them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tae posted:

In 2001? Name them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousand_Arms

:q:

edit: extremely high quality voice acting here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SANRhLOWjg

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 1, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

In 2001? Name them.

Brave Fencer Musashi, what exists of the voice acting in Eternal Punishment is pretty good, there are also better goofy rear end dubs with endearing voices like Popful Mail, and Shadow of Destiny. FFX's voice acting isn't terrible, but it's pretty stunted and a lot of the voice actors hit their characters better in X-2 and overall there's just better direction. Even in Dissidia Tidus is handled much better and that game generally has poor voice direction.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's definitely bad voice direction and lip flap limitations. Games before FFX didn't even have lip-flaps (Brave Fencer Musashi doesn't really count thy're just making vague suggestions of mouth movements)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Blockhouse posted:

it's definitely bad voice direction and lip flap limitations. Games before FFX didn't even have lip-flaps (Brave Fencer Musashi doesn't really count thy're just making vague suggestions of mouth movements)

IIRC some of the voice acting problems come from the english staff having to match the mouth flaps of the japanese script.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

IIRC some of the voice acting problems come from the english staff having to match the mouth flaps of the japanese script.

they stopped caring about this in FFX-2 which is why the voice acting actually sounds natural and fluid in that game

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's part of it, but Yuna's voice actress in general has really flat delivery, Hedy Buress does much better in X-2 tho and in other games like FF Tactics and Valkyria Chronicles. Yuna was her first role as a VA so she was more than likely completely at the mercy of the director. James Arnold Taylor is one of the better actors in the cast because of the general energy he puts into Tidus which makes him more stand out since everyone else is really reserved, but he's uh got a lot of stinkers for lines.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ruggington posted:

they stopped caring about this in FFX-2 which is why the voice acting actually sounds natural and fluid in that game

it's not that they stopped caring, it's that for Kingdom Hearts S-E developed a way to alter lip motions in a game without doing deep reprogramming, so it hasn't really been an issue sense

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh right Woolie has that weird love affair with Lost Odyssey

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
What's everyone doing to celebrate the New Year?

I bought Final Fantasy VII off the PSN and will play it as soon as 2016 begins. It's the first mainline Final Fantasy game I'll be able to play so I'm really excited to go through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm going to go home and play games, but right now I'm playing Megaman X