Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Kal Torak posted:

You must have had ridiculously low expectations because he was terrible on the stand.

Did you see any of the other footage of Brendan in this series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Diabolik900 posted:

At the very least, he made the prosecution lose their composure to the point that they sounded like they were gonna start throwing poo poo.

Shame he collected himself and salvaged it.

Kampfbereit
Sep 6, 2011

Chrtrptnt posted:

Someone brought up the blood in the car but no fingerprints, a cloth or leather glove wouldn't leave fingerprints but could soak up enough blood to leave it on surfaces. Likewise, a surgical glove could be torn, or cut while a person is wearing it and get blood all over it. So I can see how that could happen and I don't find it hard to believe that the Averys have work gloves or mechanics rubber/latex gloves laying around a junkyard.
It appears from the photos shown the Avery blood in the car were not smears that you would typically associate with a blood-soaked glove, but free-falling drops. (This is just my own interpretation, I am in no way a blood spatter expert.)
If he wore gloves he wouldn't have cut his finger as easily.
If he wore gloves for the purpose of not leaving evidence inside the car, and cut his finger so badly it went through the glove (i.e. not just a scrape he wasn't aware of), wouldn't he have noticed he was bleeding and done something about it?
Also, if he killed Teresa, he would have known HER blood was all over the back of the car. So why hide the car on his property at all? Even without his fingerprints, it's massively incriminating.
He left blood around the ignition switch, but not on the key which he held in his bleeding hand? The DNA on the key wasn't blood, but some other type of DNA. If he bled through the glove enough to leave drops there, the fabric strap of the key would probably have at least some blood on it. He could have cleaned it with his super-CSI skillz, but why keep it at all then? He was apparently not going to drive it (removed battery terminals). Why not leave it in the car? The problem I have with the DA's storyline thing is that it requires Avery to constantly flip between being a Dexter crime scene clean-up genius and a guy who plants evidence on himself (keeps the car and the key, cleans up the garage floor but then puts the casings and bullet fragment back).

Chrtrptnt posted:

Would a backyard burn pit get hot enough to destroy that much of a body? This isn't a conspiracy type question, just an honest one. Crematory ovens are purpose built and still take several hours to get a body to ash.
You can burn a body with just wood as fuel, it's still a fairly common cremation practice in parts of Asia. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyre) You stack the wood like a log cabin, so you maximize the oxygen passing through and the surfaces exposed to fire. (Basically you do the opposite of the charcoal making process, where you minimize the temperature by restricting the flow of oxygen.) A pit is a much worse place to burn something for that very reason, but with the right fuel and lots of time you can definitely burn a corpse. Their fire pit seemed on the smaller side, but according to the DA, they had burned tires there. You'd need to tend to the pyre for several hours though, and it needs to be a roaring fire the entire time, otherwise you're just barbecuing the corpse.

Chrtrptnt posted:

I also don't understand completely the vial of blood as being potentially tampered with. Those types of blood vials are filled through the top via needle, so a needle hole doesn't automatically mean that it was used to steal blood for planting evidence.
I'm not sure about this, my only knowledge comes from having been anaemic for years and having had a lot of blood drawn by phlebotomists. After drawing the blood, the phlebotomist places the vial on a mechanical device that gently rolls it back and forth, to mix the blood with the EDTA which is already present in the tubes with purple tops. (The colour of the top determines what's going to happen to the blood and which agents are in the tube. Purple is sort of general when testing for drugs, diseases and deficiencies AFAIK. Other colours are for blood gas analysis etc.) If the tube had just a rubber top with a fairly large hole in it, I imagine blood could leak out and outside stuff could get in, which would be bad for a number of reasons.

The hole in the tube in itself wasn't the biggest problem, it was the fact that the evidence seal on the styrofoam box had been broken and then shoddily resealed with scotch tape.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Diabolik900 posted:

Yeah, I get it. I just wanted him to stand up and say in a strong and confident voice that he didn't do it and it was the police who originally suggested how it all went down.

My hopes were clearly too high.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Frankly it'd be way worse for him if he got up on the stand and seemed intelligent and confident. You can't really say "this kid's dumber than dirt and you can get him to say whatever you want if you prod him the right way" and then have him give an eloquent speech about how he was tricked, it would just make him look like an obvious liar.

He did about as well as he could, he still seemed like the borderline retard that he is without totally collapsing under pressure.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

He was wearing the off cuts from fingerless gloves. This allowed him to bleed all over the car without leaving any fingerprints.

Okay, now how'd he get hand DNA on the inside of the hood with no blood, AFTER driving the car?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I got nervous every time the prosecutor tried to Bugs Bunny Brendan when was on the stand. The thing about his story that stood out to me is that what he did after school never changed - got home, played PS2, spoke to his mom, then Blaine's boss, then went to the bonfire. Meanwhile each confession was different because of the way he was being manipulated. Whatever the truth is with Avery, everything involving Brendan is a travesty.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

It is pretty retarded that the prosecution was saying "only one man could have committed this crime" about Avery while Brendan's case was on deck, but if you listen to enough closing arguments in court you're bound to hear some really stupid stuff.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Phenotype posted:

What on earth is the justification for this? Why the hell shouldn't jurors have a transcript of the case they're deciding? Its better if they make their decision based on half-remembered testimony from earlier in the week than be able to read through exactly what was presented?

The only excuse I've seen in this thread is because it takes a while for the stenographer to finish...which is idiotic in and of itself - just hire another guy to fix up the transcript in the evenings and give it to the jurors the next day. Even if the attorneys wanted to check it for accuracy, there's no reason they couldn't turn around a rough draft in 24-48 hours.
Honestly, I never realized just how archaic this process was. What possible justification is there for not, at the very least, audiotaping the trial? Certainly in this day and age videotaping it makes even more sense, why the hell are we relying on the short hand typing ability of some random person when it is trivially easy to have an arbitrary number of cameras and microphones recording everything that's said and done?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

JohnClark posted:

Honestly, I never realized just how archaic this process was. What possible justification is there for not, at the very least, audiotaping the trial? Certainly in this day and age videotaping it makes even more sense, why the hell are we relying on the short hand typing ability of some random person when it is trivially easy to have an arbitrary number of cameras and microphones recording everything that's said and done?

Audio recordings aren't as easy to search as text.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TL posted:

I will say, despite how unbelievably sad the outcome of his trial was, Brendan did far better on the stand than I thought he would.

If only he had a lawyer who believed in him from the start.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
I'm seriously surprised at how many people's takeaway from the documentary is CONSPIRACY :tinfoil: I think it's pretty obvious that Steve Avery is guilty as gently caress. I think a lot of what was presented as corruption was more like sheer incompetence. Steve Avery actually got a better case than he should have because the prosecution was functionally retarded, and he really did hire some ruthless defense sociopaths who were clearly of a much higher caliber than the opposition. Everyone's saying how the prosecution is so evil, but I wouldn't trust those 2 smarmy defense fucks with a bag of rice earmarked for orphans with aids. That being said, if I was on trial for murder, I would definitely want them on my side.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

I'm seriously surprised at how many people's takeaway from the documentary is CONSPIRACY :tinfoil: I think it's pretty obvious that Steve Avery is guilty as gently caress. I think a lot of what was presented as corruption was more like sheer incompetence. Steve Avery actually got a better case than he should have because the prosecution was functionally retarded, and he really did hire some ruthless defense sociopaths who were clearly of a much higher caliber than the opposition. Everyone's saying how the prosecution is so evil, but I wouldn't trust those 2 smarmy defense fucks with a bag of rice earmarked for orphans with aids. That being said, if I was on trial for murder, I would definitely want them on my side.

lol

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

this, this is the greatest post yet

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I am generally cool with trolling but it should be funny or interesting.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

10/10

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bug Bill Murray posted:

Stop responding to bad trolling

My comment still stands.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
One glimmer of hope from the whole thing is my realisation that there was lawyers out there who are genuinely fighting for justice and truth. We all like to give lawyers a hard time but there are some good guys out there.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

WastedJoker posted:

One glimmer of hope from the whole thing is my realisation that there was lawyers out there who are genuinely fighting for justice and truth. We all like to give lawyers a hard time but there are some good guys out there.

Don't let the doc cloud your judgement, if those dudes get paid tomorrow by Bill Cosby they'll be trying their hardest to get a Not Guilty verdict just like they did here.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Grem posted:

Don't let the doc cloud your judgement, if those dudes get paid tomorrow by Bill Cosby they'll be trying their hardest to get a Not Guilty verdict just like they did here.

And they'll still be just as great because if they don't give everyone the same effort in their representation, they're just as guilty of twisting the law into vengeance as the cops and prosecutors in this case.

Mother gently caress, after all of this people still don't get what "systemic flaws in the criminal justice process" actually means.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Grem posted:

As they should. It's their job.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

McSpanky posted:

And they'll still be just as great because if they don't give everyone the same effort in their representation, they're just as guilty of twisting the law into vengeance as the cops and prosecutors in this case.

Basically, if they didn't give everyone the same effort, they'd be Len Kachinsky.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Diabolik900 posted:

Basically, if they didn't give everyone the same effort, they'd be Len Kachinsky.

I dunno if they'd be that bad, with Kachinsky it was more like he was actively undermining his client rather than just not giving his fullest effort

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

McSpanky posted:

Mother gently caress, after all of this people still don't get what "systemic flaws in the criminal justice process" actually means.

That is the thing for me. I followed a case here in the bay area this year (some people I know were already following it and then I kind of took notice when the defendant escaped from jail back in the spring), including attending a few days of the trial. Other than maybe the jury's personal emotions -- some of those people were clearly ready to murder the guy after the first day of victim testimony -- I was so impressed with how fair and respectful the entire process clearly was to him, even though he was an enormous scumbag and a guilty verdict was pretty much inevitable. Big cities have more resources and more practice at this, and maybe it's easier to do well with living victims and a smart defendant. Who knows. But that -- a fair trial -- is what every defendant should get.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Yeah, I think it's important to remember that completely regardless of everything else going on, arguably the most despicable act committed towards the rights of Steven Avery by the state was when DA Kratz and Sherrif Pagel (I think it was) got on TV in early March and graphically told Brendan's testimony like the most gruesome horror story imaginable, even with the dramatic touch of telling children under 15 to leave the room.

That press conference was really what sealed Steven Avery's fate, I think. Because after that the entire state was probably convinced he was guilty. I would have been convinced he was guilty, is the scary thing, because I wouldn't have seen what a travesty Brendan's "confession" really was.

And that's what really scares me - how easily perception is manipulated by people in positions of authority who are nominally "respectable" like the Sheriff or the DA.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

kaworu posted:

That press conference was really what sealed Steven Avery's fate, I think. Because after that the entire state was probably convinced he was guilty. I would have been convinced he was guilty, is the scary thing, because I wouldn't have seen what a travesty Brendan's "confession" really was.

You would have been convinced a guy who had his blood in the victim's car and the victim's charred remains on his property was guilty? How horrible an oversight that would have been.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

WastedJoker posted:

I've had two DUI arrests (2005 and 2009). Both times happened when I wasn't drunk (or high, or anything) and the reason I got arrested in both cases are long stories but the short version of the first time is "targeted by cops because of where I lived/how poor I was/not being white" and the second time - I poo poo you not - boiled down to "You were wearing sunglasses" (one of the cops admitted this in the squad car despite the fact I had told them they're prescription glasses that are due to my eyes being damaged and super light-sensitive).

Anyway, both times I had public defenders and both times they were alarmingly good about being on my side, believing me, and getting the charges dropped - which they did, both times.

So sometimes the system works. Like, rarely, but it does happen.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

You would have been convinced a guy who had his blood in the victim's car and the victim's charred remains on his property was guilty? How horrible an oversight that would have been.

You're right, there's a real possibility they planted that evidence.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

kaworu posted:

You're right, there's a real possibility they planted that evidence.

Put down the bong.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You know, there's a GBS thread about this if you want to do really low effort trolling, you'll catch more flies there than here.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

precision posted:

You know, there's a GBS thread about this if you want to do really low effort trolling, you'll catch more flies there than here.

People use the term 'trolling' too much without really understanding the term. I"m sharing my genuine opinions. Calling a spade a spade.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I kept wanting to stop watching after each episode and write my own ending of "Then the cops confessed they planted a bunch of evidence, the real killer came forward and everything is Right and Just in the world".

I'm not entirely convinced of Steven Avery's innocence, but I am convinced that they attempted to frame him to "help" the investigation.

Also the cops who interrogated a learning disabled minor for 3 hours with out a lawyer or parent present need to be jailed for life, then burn in whatever version of hell is real.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

People use the term 'trolling' too much without really understanding the term. I"m sharing my genuine opinions. Calling a spade a spade.

Saying "put down the bong" to the 95% of people in this thread who think there is a real chance evidence was planted in this case is most certainly trolling.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Kal Torak posted:

Saying "put down the bong" to the 95% of people in this thread who think there is a real chance evidence was planted in this case is most certainly trolling.

No, it's not. Trolling is saying something controversial solely to elicit a response or make people angry. I"m saying that because I genuinely think you're an idiot stoner if you actually lean towards evidence being planted with no evidence of that other than the wild doubt casted by the slick defense lawyers.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

No, it's not. Trolling is saying something controversial solely to elicit a response or make people angry. I"m saying that because I genuinely think you're an idiot stoner if you actually lean towards evidence being planted with no evidence of that other than the wild doubt casted by the slick defense lawyers.

It really seems like you didn't even watch the documentary though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It would have made it a lot easier to claim no evidence was planted if the county cops that said they were removing themselves from the investigation had actually done so, and not coincidentally been around on search #7 when actual evidence linking Steven to the crime started to appear. The whole system relies on 'beyond reasonable doubt', the defense lawyers (from what the documentary showed) did a good job of convincing me that there was a lot of doubt over Steven's involvement.

He might well have done it and covered it up really well, but that's not how courts work. On the evidence presented in the courtroom there is no way a guilty verdict should have been returned.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

He might well have done it and covered it up really well, but that's not how courts work. On the evidence presented in the courtroom there is no way a guilty verdict should have been returned.

Guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Is it a reasonable doubt to think that his blood and her remains were planted. To me, no.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

It really seems like you didn't even watch the documentary though.

All 10 eps over 2 days. I don't think that a pinhole in a blood sample was a "red letter day" for the defense like David Wallace seemed to think.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Is it a reasonable doubt to think that his blood and her remains were planted. To me, no.

What about the car key and the bullet? If you concede that those pieces of evidence are likely to have been planted then you have to accept that there's doubt about the other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

What about the car key and the bullet? If you concede that those pieces of evidence are likely to have been planted then you have to accept that there's doubt about the other stuff.

I don't think they were planted either, and don't think it's fair to say it is likely they were planted. I just focused on the big 2, because those 2 alone are a slam dunk.

It was an incredibly idiotic thing to say in his position, but I think Kratz was on the money when he said it would have been a lot easier for whomever to kill Steven then kill someone else and frame him for the crime.

• Locked thread