Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

You could create the motive; while not everyone would be willing to do so, if you offered some huge some of money + other benefits (significantly more than you get as just as a hunter alone) some people would probably be willing to bite. But the point about Kurapika having a genuine hatred of the Phantom Troupe is valid, though I want to say there are other Nen specializations with limitations that don't fit that mold (can't think of them off the top of my head though).,

Intensity is definitely a factor; someone who just wanted money probably wouldn't be able to match, since we're using him as the gold standard of insanely-focused powers, Kurapika's hatred. You can have non-hatred motivations, it's just, nen is kind of weird and reacts to things like, to use a different example people gave earlier in the thread, Franklin chopping off his fingertips to make his fingers into gun barrels. I don't think it's possible to "cheat" nen, either, so your intentions have to be genuine; you can't break or exploit the system.

YggiDee posted:

On one hand, they have phones, on the other hand they have characters who spend entire plot arcs staring at their phone in a dark corner instead of seeing their friend in the hospital, Kurapika

Hey, he was brooding. You can't just stop brooding for any old thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Palm steals every scene she's in and it's great. Even Knuckles is amazing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is it ever made clear where some folks like Morrel, Knuckle, or current-Gon/Killua stand in comparison with members of the Phantom Troupe?

I would normally say that the Phantom Troupe is still, on average, stronger than Gon/Killua and their Chimera Ant arc hunter peers, but the fact that Killua's little brother was able to join them makes me less certain. Granted, they made it pretty clear that his brother is the weakest member of the Troupe, but he's presumably at least in the same ballpark and Killua should be significantly stronger than him due to being both older and presumably more talented.

I'm aware that strict "power levels" don't really exist, but the series still makes it pretty clear that some characters are on a completely different level of ability than others.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Killua wasn't taught nen by his family. He had to find out about it by himself. His brother with the kimono presumably learned nen at a young age. The Zoldyeaaraek family obviously sees Killua as special, so they make him do everything the hard way.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
His dad probably intended for him to undergo a nen baptism in Heaven's Arena but, well,

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Seafood posted:

His dad probably intended for him to undergo a nen baptism in Heaven's Arena but, well,

I don't know; he only had to get up to the floor where that would have happened otherwise, not do anything on it, hence his not getting "baptized" the first time. More importantly, those "baptisms" are usually fatal and maim those who aren't killed, which is why the three main antagonists for that arc were all messed up and why Hisoka absolutely refused to let Gon and Killua move forward without nen; he knew they'd get killed or "ruined" and, being a weird murderpervert, didn't want that to happen. While the family treats Killua in "special" ways, I doubt Silva would do something that likely to get his son killed or maimed.

I do love how he spent his prize money, though. That is a lot of candy.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Kild posted:

Thing is there's still Hisoka who will force it open if need be.

I would read/watch a series about Hisoka on a quest to restore Gon's nen.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mango Polo posted:

I would read/watch a series about Hisoka on a quest to restore Gon's nen.

Hell, not just Gon.

Everyone.

Hisoka embarks on a heroic quest to ensure that Gon and Chrollo can use their nen powers again. On the way, he finds even more people in need of help. For the sake of the ultimate battle! To ensure that he can fight everyone, Hisoka must first ensure that they can fight at all.

Featuring Hisoka as the protagonist and Tonpa as Hisoka's sidekick, with guest appearances by the Phantom Troupe, the possessed corpse of Kastro, and Hanzo.

OP and ED by Avril Lavinge, featuring Jam Project.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I don't think any studios would have the budget to animate so many crotch-shots of Hisoka.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Featuring Hisoka as the protagonist and Tonpa as Hisoka's sidekick

He already has a sidekick and his name is Illumi.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

My favorite is the Greed Island arc. Seems like the Yoshihiro Togashi thought up a real card-game and brought it to life via the Island. I doubt it would translate well to an actual card game, but I thought it was really well done.

The Chimera Ant arc was just too drat long. Also, a huge amount of power creep. Every generation was better than before until we got to the incredibly powerful king and his elite guards.

Sure, the storyline makes sense if they are a world endangering threat. Regardless, the King was just too unbeatable. If I understand the story correctly, no one was actually able to kill him. He allowed himself to die. Surviving a point-blank nuclear explosion? Really? Yes, I believe I understand that one of the elite guards essentially traded his life for the King's life after the nuke, but still....

I haven't read any of the Dark Continent content yet. I just didn't get around to it.

Someone needs to get Yoshihiro Togashi interested in a really expensive hobby like space flight or something. Hey, Yoshihiro Togashi , you need to go to the moon right? Finish the HxH series and you just about have enough cash for the trip!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Dan7el posted:

If I understand the story correctly, no one was actually able to kill him. He allowed himself to die.

Nope he was totally loving murdered by a nuclear bomb, he was just fairly chill about dying and only wanted to see the one person in the world he loved before then. Nuke was totally enough to kill him and every other thing around him.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

He regenerated but it was basically only temporary. He was still hosed by the radiation and killed everything around him.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dan7el posted:

The Chimera Ant arc was just too drat long. Also, a huge amount of power creep. Every generation was better than before until we got to the incredibly powerful king and his elite guards.

Sure, the storyline makes sense if they are a world endangering threat. Regardless, the King was just too unbeatable. If I understand the story correctly, no one was actually able to kill him. He allowed himself to die. Surviving a point-blank nuclear explosion? Really? Yes, I believe I understand that one of the elite guards essentially traded his life for the King's life after the nuke, but still....

I don't think the king would've survived if it wasn't for his guards feeding themselves to him though. Also, he was basically the Black Knight after his fight with King Arthur in Monty Python by the time they got him so he barely survived even at that.

Really, I think they got lucky that of all the information he absorbed, radiation was not part of it.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Nope he was totally loving murdered by a nuclear bomb, he was just fairly chill about dying and only wanted to see the one person in the world he loved before then. Nuke was totally enough to kill him and every other thing around him.

It wasn't the explosion that killed him so much as it was the radiation. But yeah, without anyone else's interference I'd say the bomb had him dead.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 1, 2016

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Pitou maybe could have saved him from the Radiation using Dr Blythe, but she had her fight with Gon.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Usually series tend to glorify their unique tricks to the point of utter stupidity, so the bomb served as a nice reminder that even in a world with nen WMD > your best spirit-psychic-martial-arts.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It went further than a real nuke, as the poison spread from person to person. You can get radiation poisoning from someone who is sufficiently irradiated, but that second person won't be exposed enough for it to keep spreading at a lethal level.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

salted nuke

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

It went further than a real nuke, as the poison spread from person to person. You can get radiation poisoning from someone who is sufficiently irradiated, but that second person won't be exposed enough for it to keep spreading at a lethal level.

I think that bit is probably in reference to the fear people had that radiation was contagious in that way.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Genocyber posted:

I think that bit is probably in reference to the fear people had that radiation was contagious in that way.

I bet a lot of people still think that. (On both sides of the ocean.)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Well, why shouldn't a setting that has literal magic have magic nukes?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
To be fair a salted nuke is like the least fantastic weapon they've had.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Started watching this because the thread title caught my attention, just got to the point where Hisoka fights in the tower. :stwoon:

Killua is pretty cool too, not giving a gently caress and having goofy expressions.

That was all.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
As much as I like Nen, the Exam arc is still one of my favorites. The more unsubscribed nature of the HxH world gives the story something adventurous that the other arcs lack.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Genocyber posted:

Well, it kinda is if it's had contact with your clothes or skin. Radiation sickness itself can't be passed on though.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

e X posted:

The more unsubscribed nature of the HxH world gives the story something adventurous that the other arcs lack.

This is true, and I was kinda annoyed when they decided to spend episodes describing their midichlorians. In the end, however, it was worth it.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Finished 127.

It's weird how much I ended up liking a lot of the ants, even the ones that die horribly(Pike-chan~). Seeing Youpie shred tears is pretty hilarious. Feeling pretty bad for Pitou currently though. Gon is a bully. :(

e; 128- This feeding scene is so gay and I love every second of it holy gently caress.

e2; :cry: That was a good conclusion to that arc.

Zeratanis fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 3, 2016

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zeratanis posted:

Finished 127.

It's weird how much I ended up liking a lot of the ants, even the ones that die horribly(Pike-chan~). Seeing Youpie shred tears is pretty hilarious. Feeling pretty bad for Pitou currently though. Gon is a bully. :(

e; 128- This feeding scene is so gay and I love every second of it holy gently caress.

e2; :cry: That was a good conclusion to that arc.

Chimera Ant is a good arc. But it`s really sad.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Gon's final battle with Pitou :derp:

I'm at the last story and I don't want it to end yet. I'll miss everyone until idek the next chapter will be out perhaps late 2016?

Also Bisky is the best and I needed more scenes of them training after Greed Island.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Alder posted:

Gon's final battle with Pitou :derp:

I'm at the last story and I don't want it to end yet. I'll miss everyone until idek the next chapter will be out perhaps late 2016?

Also Bisky is the best and I needed more scenes of them training after Greed Island.

You might as well just stop with the anime because the things the next arc sets up are some of the most interesting I've ever seen in any manga or anime but most likely we're not going to get to any of it in the near future.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

That wasn't a battle.

That was a one-sided slaughter.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

You might as well just stop with the anime because the things the next arc sets up are some of the most interesting I've ever seen in any manga or anime but most likely we're not going to get to any of it in the near future.

But I have to know if Gon wakes up and where Killua is going later :gbsmith:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Alder posted:

But I have to know if Gon wakes up and where Killua is going later :gbsmith:

By "stop with the anime" I meant keep going until the the final episode but don't bother continuing on because the anime leaves off with a satisfying conclusion that has the possibility for more, but if you read the 10 chapters after that (yes that's really all there is) then you'll be hyped for some poo poo we won't see for 2 or 3 or 5 more years.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Read the little extra chapters about Kurapika's backstory, though. :smith:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

TriffTshngo posted:

By "stop with the anime" I meant keep going until the the final episode but don't bother continuing on because the anime leaves off with a satisfying conclusion that has the possibility for more, but if you read the 10 chapters after that (yes that's really all there is) then you'll be hyped for some poo poo we won't see for 2 or 3 or 5 more years.

Ha, 2 or 3 or 5 years? Someone is a little optimistic here

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh, we could get a couple chapters this year. that would just twist the knife deeper, of course.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
2015 not getting any chapters was new. Normally we get... Let's see, there were nine in 2014, two in 2013 (but those two were for a one-shot thing), thirty as one long stretch from late 2011 to mid 2012 that finished up the Ant arc, did the entirety of the election, and started the new arc, etc. So, you can either view this optimistically and say we'll probably get something this year, and possibly a fair amount since the updates usually come in decent chunks, or small ones with a break every now and then, or you can view it pessimistically and take the longest break yet as a sign that the series is finally dead. Personally, I'm leaning towards (hoping for) the former.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

2015 not getting any chapters was new. Normally we get... Let's see, there were nine in 2014, two in 2013 (but those two were for a one-shot thing), thirty as one long stretch from late 2011 to mid 2012 that finished up the Ant arc, did the entirety of the election, and started the new arc, etc. So, you can either view this optimistically and say we'll probably get something this year, and possibly a fair amount since the updates usually come in decent chunks, or small ones with a break every now and then, or you can view it pessimistically and take the longest break yet as a sign that the series is finally dead. Personally, I'm leaning towards (hoping for) the former.

That might be somewhat too early for it to be totally dead right? I just got into this a few weeks ago too.

I mean even DGM went on a 1 yr hiatus and restarted with new chapters some kind anime announcement. HxH is pretty popular too.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alder posted:

That might be somewhat too early for it to be totally dead right? I just got into this a few weeks ago too.

I mean even DGM went on a 1 yr hiatus and restarted with new chapters some kind anime announcement. HxH is pretty popular too.

Yeah, like I said, I'm leaning towards this just being an unfortunately long break in a series of breaks of varying length, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The palace invasion is still some of the coolest poo poo I've seen in a shounen anime. I love how they actually did something cool with the whole Frieza Time thing and picked apart every second of a battle that lasted a few minutes at most. It would get annoying if this is how things were usually handled, but hearing the play by play on such a complex fight was awesome.