Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tenzarin posted:

Dont talk bad about Goku, Bulma, Yajirobe, Trunks quest 8!

Yangus is clearly Farmer w/Shotgun. Learn the lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I frequented chat boards in the years after 9 was released and oddly the complaints that most stand out were from people who liked to regularly replay games. They complained it was too slow and that their wasn't enough character customization, which are both notable flaws but ones you only especially notice if you replay a lot. Consensus amongst my friends, most of whom stated with either 1 or 4, was that it was extremely charming and fun but not as mechanically interesting as some other RPG's. I recall some people hating Kuja and honestly I wasn't a big fan of his design either but in retrospect I was probably threatened by his androgyny.

Re: Magic chat, offensive magic was very useful in 4, 5, and 6. Even in regular battles, you could use it to clear the field or beat tougher encounters more quickly. It started useful in 10 but took a back seat in the second half of the game. It had its uses in 12 (distance attacks, elemental weaknesses) but was largely eh. In 7, it was useful on occasion but you were almost always better served by something else. Vivi was pretty useful so it was fine in 9. I almost never used it in 8. In the MMOs, it's necessary for large chunks of endgame content. So I'd say on the whole, magic is usually useful in FF.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

bloodychill posted:

In the MMOs, it's necessary for large chunks of endgame content.

I use fracture on my black mage, I'm a melee black mage. I dont think like half the classes would work for you if you don't ever use spells.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think my only complaint at the time with 9 was the plot towards the end seemed like a mash up of a bunch of other FF stuff and fed off the constant references to earlier games but mostly I was just glad it was better than 8.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I felt that pretty strongly too

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dragon Quest V is the best Dragon Quest game, actually. I like it more than any Final Fantasy game even.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
So FF9 is getting a PC-smartphone port this year. What kinda wizardry uncovered the original assets?

http://www.polygon.com/2015/12/31/10693824/final-fantasy-9-headed-to-pc-and-smartphones

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
They probably found the source code on some Square Hawaii's old hard drive inside their family vacation photos folder.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Dubious posted:

So FF9 is getting a PC-smartphone port this year. What kinda wizardry uncovered the original assets?

http://www.polygon.com/2015/12/31/10693824/final-fantasy-9-headed-to-pc-and-smartphones

They most likely didn't. The screenshots seem to suggest that they cropped out the backgrounds and added a smudge filter to it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Fluffy posted:

The best I ever got on the original NES version was a crit for something like 3-4k after using FAST.

Which is almost entirely academic because Warmech and Chaos have like 2000 HP anyway.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The only time I could stand playing the original Final Fantasy was when I was a kid. Tried going back to it and gave up. I'd rather play actual D&D.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's weird because it's even balanced like an oldschool D&D adventure; the challenge is in getting to the bosses 1) without using all your spells and 2) without having half the party turned to stone or instantly killed or something. Then the bosses are actually really easy.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Man now I remember why I never finished disk one of 7: gently caress trying to catch a goddamn chocobo to get past the zolom

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Sakurazuka posted:

I think my only complaint at the time with 9 was the plot towards the end seemed like a mash up of a bunch of other FF stuff and fed off the constant references to earlier games but mostly I was just glad it was better than 8.

I hated 9 and 8 is still one of my favorites. I have never played any of the SNES final fantasies and I wonder how much that might have affected my dislike of the game. Mostly I thought it was ugly and tedious and Vivi was the only character I actually liked.

8 has an awesome semi futuristic setting and the plot is almost excellent but conveyed poorly. 8 is the game that actually needs and deserves a remake,there's a lot of potential in it that wasn't executed well.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Epi Lepi posted:

I hated 9 and 8 is still one of my favorites. I have never played any of the SNES final fantasies and I wonder how much that might have affected my dislike of the game. Mostly I thought it was ugly and tedious and Vivi was the only character I actually liked.

8 has an awesome semi futuristic setting and the plot is almost excellent but conveyed poorly. 8 is the game that actually needs and deserves a remake,there's a lot of potential in it that wasn't executed well.

No.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If a remake was made every time a bad game was hosed up during development then Xenogears would've gotten one a long time ago

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Counterpoint: yes.

E: I mean yeah, it all falls apart in disc 4 and a bunch of the stuff before it makes less and less sense but I think there's something interesting in all of it. I didn't say it was excellent but I do think it gets close.

Epi Lepi fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 1, 2016

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Epi Lepi posted:

Naw. I played the NA releases on NES and SNES and the nicest thing I will say about 9 is that it's better than 1-5.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It is not better than V, but it is most certainly better than 6

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Literally The Worst posted:

Man now I remember why I never finished disk one of 7: gently caress trying to catch a goddamn chocobo to get past the zolom

As a kid who was bad at English, I only learned years later that you were supposed to catch one. I always waited 'til it was as far away as possible and just legged it, it won't catch you if you time it right.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Question, what were the development cycles like tha t ended up with both 8 and 9 coming out in 1999. Was 9 all a B-Team or something?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Epi Lepi posted:

Question, what were the development cycles like tha t ended up with both 8 and 9 coming out in 1999. Was 9 all a B-Team or something?
9 was originally going to be a short game, one disc, called Final Fantasy Gaiden. It's why the game starts out with this small adventure scope, and a lot of the really big stuff shows up toward the end of the game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Epi Lepi posted:

IIRC they were drunk on FF7 money so they had 8,9, and 10 (and Spirits Within hahahah) all overlapping since they had enough directors they trusted, different phases needed different team members anyway, and they were rich.

e. 11 too for that matter but I think that was a different enough creature that it doesn't really bare comparison. By 12 they had pumped the brakes during the Enix acquisition after they realized doing all that poo poo at once made half baked games and movies and flushed all their money down the toilet.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 1, 2016

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

A non-DoS FF1 with working TMPR/SABR spells and unnerfed Black Belt? Hitting 9999 damage might be possible then. The best I ever got on the original NES version was a crit for something like 3-4k after using FAST.

Due to buff spells all actually working they had to retune bosses health quite a bit in the re-releases. They retuned Chaos to have 20k HP, and introduced a boss at the end of the worst Final Fantasy dungeon ever made with 30-42k HP.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Literally The Worst posted:

The proper way to get past it is to go in with the enemy skill materia equipped to someone with resist fire and have them learn Beta and then use it to immediately kill the midgar zolom. :ssh:

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
does safer sephiroth actually use supernova more than once or is it a one time use move

i ended up killing him after he used it on me once

either way it owns

is it actually the longest animation for any enemy in a final fantasy game

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Evil Fluffy posted:

The proper way to get past it is to go in with the enemy skill materia equipped to someone with resist fire and have them learn Beta and then use it to immediately kill the midgar zolom. :ssh:

yeah i don't uh

im lazy

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think the IX Ark/VIII Eden summons probably come close in attack time to supernova but they're a little shorter I think

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

zedprime posted:

IIRC they were drunk on FF7 money so they had 8,9, and 10 (and Spirits Within hahahah) all overlapping since they had enough directors they trusted, different phases needed different team members anyway, and they were rich.

e. 11 too for that matter but I think that was a different enough creature that it doesn't really bare comparison. By 12 they had pumped the brakes during the Enix acquisition after they realized doing all that poo poo at once made half baked games and movies and flushed all their money down the toilet.

Which is kinda nuts since, despite their flaws, 8-10 all end up standing out with each game having its own share of loyal fans. Each game probably has more fans that love said game than 12 or 13 (no disrespect to either game, but I see fewer people be huge on 12 the way people are on other FFs, and I'm pretty sure 13 merited a universal "meh").

Spirits Within really hosed up Square bad.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
12's main problem is that it was released the ps3/xbox 360 generation started.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Epi Lepi posted:

8 has an awesome semi futuristic setting and the plot is almost excellent but conveyed poorly

'The writing and story are really good, its just that the writing and story aren't good.'

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tae posted:

I don't know that that excuse hangs when it was contemporary to Persona 3, and Persona 4 came out contemporary to the dying gasps of PS2 Activision shovelware and EA sports.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

'The writing and story are really good, its just that the writing and story aren't good.'
Worked for FF7.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

zedprime posted:

I don't know that that excuse hangs when it was contemporary to Persona 3, and Persona 4 came out contemporary to the dying gasps of PS2 Activision shovelware and EA sports

atlus made sure the public never forgot about persona 4

I don't see Final fantasy 12: Skit Dat Dooey All Evening or Irish Elbow Super Max

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

XII is honestly just super boring to play and the narrative completely collapses in the middle of the game, so if you don't get a big kick out of exploration and discovering off the path secrets there's not alot that's going to appeal to alot of traditional FF fans. Putting it on XB360/PS3 might have made it look better but it wouldn't have fixed any pof the deap-seated issues with game

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tae posted:

I dunno if that's it but I love XII and dislike how overshadowed it is. It doesn't get the praise that X does or the hate that XIII does...it's just kinda there. And of curse Vaan was shoehorned into the game and marketed all to hell so now Japan loves him when he's not even the real hero of the game.

zedprime posted:

I don't know that that excuse hangs when it was contemporary to Persona 3, and Persona 4 came out contemporary to the dying gasps of PS2 Activision shovelware and EA sports.

So far as I know, Persona was niche series prior to 4. Yeah you get people on boards like this who rave about it but you get the same thing with Xenogears and I'd never say XG was anything more than a cult classic.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 1, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

12's main problem was that every character gets built exactly the same and that's boring as poo poo. The IZJS + speedup button fixed the game so loving much

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Persona is the worst comparison because its completely different scales of production and target audience. But its also the perfect comparison because Atlus understood their means of production and target audience and haven't spent 10 years spinning their tires in project management catastrophes (until lately).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Tae posted:

Which is kinda bad considering how drat quickly previous FF games were pumped out before the merger. I mean, being a late game kinda hurt 9 as well but a lot of people still worship it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
9's pretty cult though compared to 7 and 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Which is kinda bad considering how drat quickly previous FF games were pumped out before the merger. I mean, being a late game kinda hurt 9 as well but a lot of people still worship it.
Even given how elaborate older FF games were for the time, I'm guessing it still took way less time and money to make one.